Questions about surround sound connection options - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Worf

post #1 of 5 Old 02-19-2020, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Questions about surround sound connection options

I'm currently using a pair of JBL 104 as a simple desktop (ASRock Z170 Fatal1ty K6 motherboard with Realtek ALC1150 audio) stereo setup. I am planning to expand my setup to 5.1 but I do have a few questions:

People who are using Dolby/DTS 5.1 live encoders from the motherboard onboard digital/optical/coaxial/SPDIF audio, does the live encoding always work fine? Have you experienced any Win10 update that breaks this experience? How much lag does the live encoder add?

As my main display/monitor ([email protected] G-Sync) is connected to my NVIDIA GTX1070 DisplayPort output, can I send 5.1 LPCM audio via the HDMI port of the graphics card to an AVR? Is there any chance that the PC treats the AVR sink as a video-audio device and makes the PC thinks it has dual display? Is there any EDID compatibility issue in this? Will it break my main display?

My main intention is to get a budget AVR (a used Denon 2311 AVR) and use it for surround sound setup via HDMI. With digital audio, the AVR can do bass management easily. If the HDMI method doesn't work, I'll have to use the optical SPDIF method (gotta use the DTS Interactive 5.1 of my motherboard). If the live encoding is not a good option, I'll just connect my speakers (active) directly to the motherboard's rear IO 3.5mm ports. I guess this last method is guaranteed to work, but there will be no bass management from the Realtek HD Audio control panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-20-2020, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 635
HDMI is easiest. though yes, it's seen as another display, so set it as extend and move it so the overlap is in a corner. Set it's resolution to 720p which is sufficient for all formats
post #3 of 5 Old 02-20-2020, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
HDMI is easiest. though yes, it's seen as another display, so set it as extend and move it so the overlap is in a corner. Set it's resolution to 720p which is sufficient for all formats
When you say "move it so the overlap is in a corner" what does that mean exactly?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-20-2020, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 635
When you extend your displays, windows shows both monitors in a layout view.mthisnhelps determine the main display, as well as how the desktops are spanned - side by side, top and bottom or any other arrangement of monitors. When I use HDMI, I set the HDMI display to be attached to my desktop monitors by a corner which means it's a lot harder to accidentally go to the hidden screen. Normally I use the bottom right corner as when I lose the cursor I mouse the mouse up and left and that means of the cursor accidentally traversed to the HDMI audio display, it will wander back to my displays eventually.
Keenan likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-21-2020, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked: 4076
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version