Do GPUs affect video playback quality? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-08-2020, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs up Do GPUs affect video playback quality?

Hi everyone! I'm planning for a future HTPC and I'm wondering do GPUs affect video playback quality when streaming?
Like streaming from a NAS to the HTPC - would a GPU in the HTPC improve video quality playback?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-08-2020, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2903 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahenobarbus View Post
Hi everyone! I'm planning for a future HTPC and I'm wondering do GPUs affect video playback quality when streaming?

Like streaming from a NAS to the HTPC - would a GPU in the HTPC improve video quality playback?

Thanks!
Yes and no. Decoding is usually performed by the CPU, however the GPU may or may not output bit perfect. Intel integrated GPUs are reliable ones so far. You would need a signal analyser to test the output for errors.

Last edited by skschatzman; 03-08-2020 at 08:13 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-08-2020, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Decoding is performed by the CPU...
Thank you! So should I get a CPU with integrated graphics? Ryzens would be out of the question, right?

And how about things like madVR that require a GPU with full D3D9 to scale and sharpen well? How powerful of a GPU do I need for this, do you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-08-2020, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2903 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahenobarbus View Post
Thank you! So should I get a CPU with integrated graphics? Ryzens would be out of the question, right?

And how about things like madVR that require a GPU with full D3D9 to scale and sharpen well? How powerful of a GPU do I need for this, do you know?
How much you spend is really up to you. Yes you will want a decent graphics card if you plan on utilizing such programs. I was merely pointing out the fact that GPUs can and usually do effect the image accuracy. The only way to know is to have it tested. Usually an ISF certified calibrator in your area can test it.

HDR tone mapping would need a somewhat beefy GPU if you plan on using that. NVidia GTX 1070/1660 or an AMD RX Vega 56/5700 would be the minimum requirement.

As far as CPU go the AMD Ryzen 3rd Gen are great, however if you want full "legal" support for UHD Blu-ray, then you will need at least an Intel Kaby Lake i5/i7 or newer CPU.

Last edited by skschatzman; 03-08-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page