Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-14-2020, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 132
RGB Or YCBCR?

i was just taking another look at my projector's user manual (epson 6050ub) and came across the following:

----------------------

"For best results, your computer's monitor port or video card resolution should be set to display in the projector's native resolution. However, your projector includes Epson's SizeWise chip that supports other computer display resolutions, so your image will be resized to fit automatically.

Compatible 4K signals are converted for output as an HDR image. For example, a 4K 60 Hz 4:4:4 8-bit signal is converted to a 4:2:2 10-bit HDR signal."

----------------------

so does this mean that i should set my video card to output ycbcr422 10-bit instead of rgb full 12-bit that most seem to recommend for htpc output? would this minimize the number of times conversions take place, i.e. would it remove the need for epson's "sizewise chip" to convert the signal to 422 10-bit? and, if so, should i also set madvr to out output (16-235)? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-15-2020, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 519
PC always renders every thing in RGB. So your question is really, should I let my video card do the YCbCr conversion or let the projector do the conversion. You are not minimizing any number of conversions.

There is one advantage: transmit YCbCr 422 signal over HDMi requires much less bandwidth than 444. So, much less demand on the quality of the long HDMI cable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 03-15-2020, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
PC always renders every thing in RGB. So your question is really, should I let my video card do the YCbCr conversion or let the projector do the conversion. You are not minimizing any number of conversions.

There is one advantage: transmit YCbCr 422 signal over HDMi requires much less bandwidth than 444. So, much less demand on the quality of the long HDMI cable.

interesting, thanks....

thing is, the projector has a "video range" option, it allows me to select auto, limited (16-235) or full (0-255) - if the manual states that " 4K signals are converted for output as an HDR image. For example, a 4K 60 Hz 4:4:4 8-bit signal is converted to a 4:2:2 10-bit HDR signal" why would i be given this option, what does setting the pj to full (0-255) accomplish if the pj will convert to 422/10? or is the option there because the pj will also receive non 4k signals from the source, such as rgb full, which it won't process/output to 422/10? again, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-15-2020, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 519
YCbCr only has one range, limited range. RGB has two incompatible ranges, full or limited, that must be matched at both ends.

post #5 of 5 Old 03-17-2020, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Set your GPU for RGB Full 0-255 at 8bpc and forget about it.

The PJ says it will auto-negotiate for you, which is the only concern with the above settings (e.g. the display can't switch automatically between limited and full).

Sure, you could set your GPU to 10bpc for 4K HDR content but then you'd have to set it back to 8bpc for everything else.

madVR does support profiling if you really want to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page