How to feed HDMI-sound to my receiver from the computer? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-15-2020, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to feed HDMI-sound to my receiver from the computer?

I have to monitors, they use displayport. They have HDMI, but they don't seem to feed sound from the monitor out on the HDMI-ports. I have HDMI on the GPU, but that works poorly, because I have to have it active as a monitor for it to push sound (apparently), and the receiver doesn't say it supports 4K, so I have to extend the desktop to this "1080p monitor" that isn't really a monitor, just the receiver, and this causes troubles (fullscreen, mouse disappearing and so on). So what are my choices? How can i feed digital audio to the receiver? (without reencoding, so no toslink)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-15-2020, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 630
HDfury has several splitters that I am sure would solve your issues but they are not cheap.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 17 Old 03-16-2020, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
HDfury has several splitters that I am sure would solve your issues but they are not cheap.
You have to feed the HDMI connection to your receiver and then take the output from the receiver to your monitor for video. Whatever app you're using for playback on your PC has to be configured to allow the audio to pass through via HDMI. The receiver will split out the HDMI audio for playback and send the video to the monitor via the HDMI output.

FYI - there are all kinds of HDMI splitters on ebay that will work and they aren't expensive. Just find one that's compatible with your setup. If you get one with the latest HDMI and HDCP standards you should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-16-2020, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
You have to feed the HDMI connection to your receiver and then take the output from the receiver to your monitor for video. Whatever app you're using for playback on your PC has to be configured to allow the audio to pass through via HDMI. The receiver will split out the HDMI audio for playback and send the video to the monitor via the HDMI output.

FYI - there are all kinds of HDMI splitters on ebay that will work and they aren't expensive. Just find one that's compatible with your setup. If you get one with the latest HDMI and HDCP standards you should be fine.
If I read the post correctly the receiver isn't HDCP 2.2 and his monitors are so a splitter that generates it's own EDID would be required thus the HDfury's.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I use displayport for my monitors, and me receiver doesn't support 4k.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATWindsor View Post
I use displayport for my monitors, and me receiver doesn't support 4k.
You can get HDMI to Display Port adapters for about $5-6. You never mentioned if there's any part of your signal path that requires 4K, only that your receiver doesn't support it. Are you displaying the video on a 4K monitor or HDTV? If you're trying to watch video in 4K then it sounds like you need to consider upgrading your receiver. Your system is only as good as the weakest link in the chain and right now that appears to be your receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
If I read the post correctly the receiver isn't HDCP 2.2 and his monitors are so a splitter that generates it's own EDID would be required thus the HDfury's.
I'm pretty sure that a splitter is a passive device and doesn't generate an EDID. If it's an active device then it's a distribution amplifier, not a splitter, and it will generate an EDID. The monitor will only see the graphics card and not the receiver if he inserts a splitter into the signal path.

Last edited by captain_video; 03-18-2020 at 05:35 AM.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You can get HDMI to Display Port adapters for about $5-6. You never mentioned if there's any part of your signal path that requires 4K, only that your receiver doesn't support it. Are you displaying the video on a 4K monitor or HDTV? If you're trying to watch video in 4K then it sounds like you need to consider upgrading your receiver. Your system is only as good as the weakest link in the chain and right now that appears to be your receiver.

I'm pretty sure that a splitter is a passive device and doesn't generate an EDID. If it's an active device then it's a distribution amplifier, not a splitter, and it will generate an EDID. The monitor will only see the graphics card and not the receiver if he inserts a splitter into the signal path.
Yes, the monitor is 4K, upgrading the receiver is possible, but seems like gross overkill for something that could be fixed by for instance:

GPU manufactures enabling audio only for an output
Sound Cards with HDMI out
Receiver letting you run audio via USB
Some kind of EDID trickery that lets you send "4k"

But seems like these simple and possible solutions are much rarer in actual real life than I anticipated.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, the monitor is 4K, upgrading the receiver is possible, but seems like gross overkill for something that could be fixed by for instance:

GPU manufactures enabling audio only for an output
Sound Cards with HDMI out
Receiver letting you run audio via USB
Some kind of EDID trickery that lets you send "4k"

But seems like these simple and possible solutions are much rarer in actual real life than I anticipated.
Motherboards already have audio outputs that you could easily use instead of HDMI.
Asus had a sound card with HDMI output but discontinued it when graphics card manufacturers allowed HDMI audio pass-through.
There are probably receivers that allow you to use a USB input, but the rub is you'd have to upgrade your receiver. I believe there are USB audio adapters that will allow you to feed the audio to your receiver from a USB port.
EDID isn't tied to 4K or any specific resolution. I believe your issue has more to do with the HDMI and HDCP specs of your receiver's HDMI inputs and outputs.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Motherboards already have audio outputs that you could easily use instead of HDMI.
Asus had a sound card with HDMI output but discontinued it when graphics card manufacturers allowed HDMI audio pass-through.
There are probably receivers that allow you to use a USB input, but the rub is you'd have to upgrade your receiver. I believe there are USB audio adapters that will allow you to feed the audio to your receiver from a USB port.
EDID isn't tied to 4K or any specific resolution. I believe your issue has more to do with the HDMI and HDCP specs of your receiver's HDMI inputs and outputs.
What digital outputs that is supported by a receiver?

No, but if i fool the computer to think it supports 4k, i can at least clone one of the screens instead of making a third "virtual" screen in windows that causes problems.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What digital outputs that is supported by a receiver?

No, but if i fool the computer to think it supports 4k, i can at least clone one of the screens instead of making a third "virtual" screen in windows that causes problems.
I didn't say digital outputs, but some motherboards do have optical outputs. Virtually all motherboards have analog audio outputs that support 5.1 audio.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I didn't say digital outputs, but some motherboards do have optical outputs. Virtually all motherboards have analog audio outputs that support 5.1 audio.
Optical only supports 5.1 with AC3 afaik.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Optical only supports 5.1 with AC3 afaik.
That is correct. You never specified that you needed a specific audio format other than digital audio.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That is correct. You never specified that you needed a specific audio format other than digital audio.
You have been very helpful, I am not trying to be snarky or anything, but I did actually say "How can i feed digital audio to the receiver? (without reencoding, so no toslink)" in my first post.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You have been very helpful, I am not trying to be snarky or anything, but I did actually say "How can i feed digital audio to the receiver? (without reencoding, so no toslink)" in my first post.
It's all good. I was actually pointing out that motherboards have analog audio outputs and then you interjected about digital audio which prompted my response. The Asus sound card I was talking about previously is the Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3. It only has stereo analog outputs, IIRC, but has an HDMI input and HDMI output that is placed in series with the output of the graphics card. I forget how it's actually configured so I'm not sure if it adds the digital audio to the HDMI signal or what. I know that you can get a daughter card that mounts on it that I believe has 7.1 analog audio RCA connectors on it.

I'm running out of options as to how you can feed digital audio to your receiver other than just upgrading to a newer model. There are lots of sound cards out there that can decode digital audio and provide analog outputs for your receiver so that's always an option. I mentioned the Asus Xonar because it can handle HD Audio from Blu-Rays.

Last edited by captain_video; 03-18-2020 at 01:48 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
If your CPU has an integrated GPU, then you can use the HDMI port on montherboard to output audio. If not, then you can buy a cheap video card, and use the HDMI port of that video card to output audio.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-18-2020, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am fairly certain an HDfury linker would solve your issue but it is rather expensive. There are other devices the will spoof HDMI from 2.0 to 1.4 for a lot less cash but not sure it would work for your issue. Mixing different HDMI specs between different HDMI devices is always been an issue especially for HDCP compliance.

post #17 of 17 Old 03-19-2020, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I still think your best bet would be to upgrade your receiver. Anything else would just be a temporary fix until you replace it anyway.

However, I did run across this on ebay so it may be an economical approach in the meantime:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDFury-Link...UAAOSwieleZZ7N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page