3d bluray movies with integrated graphics cards - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-15-2020, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
3d bluray movies with integrated graphics cards

Hi. Would AMD RYZEN 3 3200G (Radeon Vega 8 Processor Graphics) or INTEL CORE I3-8100 (Intel UHD Graphics 630) be able to play 3d bluray rips from a desktop pc to a recently bought projector (Benq HT2050A)?

I am going to put together a low-budget pc, latter on I'll add a dedicated gpu, this time probably a Nvidia (gtx1660 super, which as I undestand won't support 3d), as my old pc (stopped working) with an AMD rx460 had alot of issues with my current pc monitor. So I was thinking to buy a cpu with an intergrated gpu to be able to ocassionally watch some 3d movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-15-2020, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 631
3D support is virtually deceased on most new hardware. I just upgraded my AMD Phenom II to a Ryzen 7 2700 and still using my old NVidia 1050ti that worked fine (with older drivers as NVidia stopped 3D support on new drivers) with the Phenom no longer works for 3D with the Ryzen even with the older drivers.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 8 Old 03-16-2020, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

So I suppose Ryzen with Vega 8 is out of the equation. Any experience with Intel UHD Graphics 630? What's the way to go about this, would an amd dedicated gpu work with latest drivers?

I understand that 3d movies are out of fashion these days, I'm just courius how 3d looks on the benq projector with a 110'' screen, not to mention that I already ordered a couple of 3d glasses (inexpensive ones from ebay).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-16-2020, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 631
My old reliable Panny Blu Ray player plays all my current 3D Blu Rays just fine so I haven't messed with it. My other collection of 3D ISO's that I no longer have the BLu Rays for can still be played on an old PC I put the old Phenom motherboard in with an old NVidia 430 card. Dedicated players just work better if your playing Disc's directly anyways. I really need a very fresh lamp in my projectors to enjoy 3D so I rarely bother with it anymore.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5 of 8 Old 03-17-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copad View Post
Hi. Would AMD RYZEN 3 3200G (Radeon Vega 8 Processor Graphics) or INTEL CORE I3-8100 (Intel UHD Graphics 630) be able to play 3d bluray rips from a desktop pc to a recently bought projector (Benq HT2050A)?

I am going to put together a low-budget pc, latter on I'll add a dedicated gpu, this time probably a Nvidia (gtx1660 super, which as I undestand won't support 3d), as my old pc (stopped working) with an AMD rx460 had alot of issues with my current pc monitor. So I was thinking to buy a cpu with an intergrated gpu to be able to ocassionally watch some 3d movies.

Both of those CPU's will work.
AMD supports 3D through UVD/VCN on their ASIC.

Intel supports 3D reliably using HDMI 1.4 only, as they claim mobo manufacturers are sometimes splitting HDMI 2.0 off the DisplayPort and as such they can't guarantee HDMI 2.0 ports will be compatible.
nVidia is out, as they are no longer supporting 3D Vision as of next month.

I would stick with AMD for 3D support. If you also want 4K then find an AM4 board that has HDMI 2.0 out.

I just built an HTPC that specifically does both 3D Bu-ray and 4K UHD: Ryzen 3600 and RX 5500XT 4GB.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-18-2020, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkeli View Post
Both of those CPU's will work.
AMD supports 3D through UVD/VCN on their ASIC.

Intel supports 3D reliably using HDMI 1.4 only, as they claim mobo manufacturers are sometimes splitting HDMI 2.0 off the DisplayPort and as such they can't guarantee HDMI 2.0 ports will be compatible.
nVidia is out, as they are no longer supporting 3D Vision as of next month.

I would stick with AMD for 3D support. If you also want 4K then find an AM4 board that has HDMI 2.0 out.

I just built an HTPC that specifically does both 3D Bu-ray and 4K UHD: Ryzen 3600 and RX 5500XT 4GB.
Thanks. I'm still a little bit confused if the intergrated vega 8 can play 3d by itself (without a dedicated amd gpu), in this thread and elsewhere I read that it cannot. The same question about Intel UHD Graphics 630.

I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W around, I'm thinking to load libreelec on it and see if it can play 3d, I doubt it will, I'm waiting for a mini hdmi adaptor I ordered to check it out.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-18-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copad View Post
Thanks. I'm still a little bit confused if the intergrated vega 8 can play 3d by itself (without a dedicated amd gpu), in this thread and elsewhere I read that it cannot. The same question about Intel UHD Graphics 630.

I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W around, I'm thinking to load libreelec on it and see if it can play 3d, I doubt it will, I'm waiting for a mini hdmi adaptor I ordered to check it out.

Unless there is a specific claim from AMD or Intel, then they are good to go.

The only claim from Intel is the HDMI 1.4 vs. 2.0 on the mobo blurb.

If the AMD Vega 8 includes UVD then it is fine.

You can always try Amazon and return it if it does not do what you want.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-22-2020, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

I am impressed. Raspberry Pi Zero W with libreelec can play 3d bluray movies without any problems. I tried a small size movie (~5GB hsbs rip), and it played just fine. I suppose a raspberry 3/4 will handle smoothly everything 3d related. It's good to have an alternative for 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page