RGB Range & HDMI Chain Confusion - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 03-18-2020, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
RGB Range & HDMI Chain Confusion

Stumbled across this issue over the last few days and thought I'd share just in case anyone else is having the same issue...

Setup: HTPC HDMI 2.0 -> Denon X2600H AVR HDMI 2.0 -> Epson 2150 HDMI 1.4
madVR: Full RGB 0-255
madVR: Display is 10-bit or more
AMD Radeon: 10bpc
AMD Radeon: Full RGB 0-255
Denon AVR: Video Output defaults to Auto (enables processing like "Standard", "Streaming", "ISF Day/Night" etc.)
Epson PJ: HDMI Range set to Auto

Problem: It's hit or miss whether the MKV files played have their shadows and blacks crushed, indicating a range problem. Sometimes the movies start just fine. Other times they are degraded and look way too dark. It happens to any MKV type either 1080p, 4K, 3D MVC. It happens at random. Sometimes if I restart the same movie multiple times it corrects itself by say the 4th time. What freaking hassle. This happened whether I used 8bpc or 10bpc. My PJ is actually a 10-bit display despite it's entry-levelness so I went with 10bpc just because.

Solution: the Denon AVR needs to have its Video Output set to "Bypass" even though it warns that the volume bar will no longer be visible in an OSD overlay. So this is true, the AVR volume and the setup menu in general can no longer be overlayed on the screen. However, all MKV files play as expected without the annoying range glitch.

Another workaround was to use RGB Limited 16-235 on the GPU but that is not advisable for the reasons stated inside the madVR FAQ.

So if you want to use RGB Full 0-255 all the way down the chain, then get rid of that Denon AVR "Auto" video output setting. If you have a Denon AVR. But I would imagine that other AVR's may do the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page