1Likes
  • 1 Post By Foxbat121

post #1 of 10 Old 03-19-2020, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Atmos sound cards?

Anyone know if there is a way to do 7.2.4 with a sound card? My pc is the exclusive source for watching movies, and right now its hooked to my AVR doing 5.1. I'm making a new theatre for 7.2.4, and it would be $2k+ for a new AVR to do 7.2.4, where as a 12 channel amp can be had for pennies, and sound cards as well. I havent seen anything above 7.1 for a sound card. Can two be combined and setup to gain more channels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-19-2020, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Atmos needs licensed object processing, not just a simple 11.2 channel output. There is no PC software that can do such processing other than 2-ch headphone mode.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 03-19-2020, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 630
9 channel AVR's with 11 channel ATMOS processing can be bought for well under $1K, check out refurbed AVR's from accessories4less. You can use your old 5.1 AVR for the extra two channels amps required.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-20-2020, 01:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Well, technically there is software. It just costs around $20k or so to get it. Computer for it tossed in for free.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-20-2020, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Can the Atmos channels be passed through via HDMI so the receiver or pre/pro can do the processing? I'm not sure if the HDMI standard accounts for the additional channels required for Atmos.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-20-2020, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Can the Atmos channels be passed through via HDMI so the receiver or pre/pro can do the processing? I'm not sure if the HDMI standard accounts for the additional channels required for Atmos.
Absolutely, until I gave up on HTPC and went to a shield that's what I was doing. ATMOS and DTS-X passed through no problems.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Guebert View Post
Absolutely, until I gave up on HTPC and went to a shield that's what I was doing. ATMOS and DTS-X passed through no problems.
Thanks. That's what I thought but I wasn't sure. I have an Atmos capable preamp/processor as well as the additional speakers and amps but I just haven't had the time to set them up.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Anything that bitstreams TrueHD or DD+ will pass Atmos object data to the receiver via HDMI. There is no such thing as Atmos channel as Atmos describes sound objects which can be hundreds of them, not channels.

There is also a format called Dolby MAT 2.0 which uses LPCM 7.1 to carry all Atmos related information to the receiver (most Atmos receiver support this). This is what Xbox One uses as well as Apple TV 4K. Theoretically, PC can do that as well. But it requires software, e.g. Atmos games to do that.
beerhunt likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Anything that bitstreams TrueHD or DD+ will pass Atmos object data to the receiver via HDMI. There is no such thing as Atmos channel as Atmos describes sound objects which can be hundreds of them, not channels.

There is also a format called Dolby MAT 2.0 which uses LPCM 7.1 to carry all Atmos related information to the receiver (most Atmos receiver support this). This is what Xbox One uses as well as Apple TV 4K. Theoretically, PC can do that as well. But it requires software, e.g. Atmos games to do that.
That's my bad for using improper terminology. Atmos information is played through speakers in addition to a traditional 5.1 or 7.1 setup to enhance the height and width of the sound stage. My Marantz preamp/processor has individual outputs for height and width that feed amplifiers the same as the regular speakers, hence my use of the term "channels." Apparently Marantz doesn't know the difference because the manual also refers to these outputs as channels.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-22-2020, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 635
The Marantz manual isn't wrong. They are channels - as far as a processor is concerned, 7.2.4 requires 13 channels of processing. The thing is though that a Dolby Atmos bitstream consists of a Dolby TrueHD bitstream containing a bed if 7.1 audio, plus a bunch of objects. It is the job of the processor to take the bed audio (which is what an incompatible decoder will decode only) and render out the objects and map the resulting audio into the available output channels.

The channels are more important in dtsX as for the majority of early dtsX releases, they have no objects but were pre rendered out. Later releases started putting objects in that require the processor to render out and map to channels.

(Edit - I do not counter the MAT 2.0 format - but the idea is similar for it as well - it consisted of a bed of discrete channel audio plus objects, and the processor take the bed, renders the audio objects out and maps the output to speaker channels)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page