I'm lost: how do I best organize EAC files when burning CDs in FLAC? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By captain_video
  • 1 Post By Worf
  • 1 Post By captain_video

post #1 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm lost: how do I best organize EAC files when burning CDs in FLAC?

I've always burned my CDs to iTunes. But I want to move up in audio quality to a system with quality that will sound good in my 5.1 media room. I downloaded EAC and started burning my CDs to a hard drive in FLAC. But when burning my first CD, I found that EAC just saves each song as a file, in one big folder; it doesn't seem to save each album as a separate album as iTunes does, at least not automatically.

I've searched the net and this forum but must be lame because I can't find info about how to end up with album files that work like iTunes, with album art, etc. I like the basic iTunes search and play and organization formats. Can anyone point me to a site (or thread) that has info on recreating that with FLAC (or a better idea)?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnilsson View Post
I've always burned my CDs to iTunes. But I want to move up in audio quality to a system with quality that will sound good in my 5.1 media room. I downloaded EAC and started burning my CDs to a hard drive in FLAC. But when burning my first CD, I found that EAC just saves each song as a file, in one big folder; it doesn't seem to save each album as a separate album as iTunes does, at least not automatically.

I've searched the net and this forum but must be lame because I can't find info about how to end up with album files that work like iTunes, with album art, etc. I like the basic iTunes search and play and organization formats. Can anyone point me to a site (or thread) that has info on recreating that with FLAC (or a better idea)?

Thanks for any advice.
I use dBpoweramp CD ripper for copying music CDs. It rips each individual track and can save the files in any format you like. I rip all of mine to flac format and use JRiver Media Center for archiving and playing them. JRMC is optimized for the best audio playback possible and will catalog your CDs with cover art. I can also be used for playback of other media like archived TV shows and movies up to 4k resolution with HD audio.

FYI - burning a CD means copying the files to a CD-R using a CD burner. Copying files to a hard drive from an optical disc is referred to as ripping.
vzphoneman likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I use dBpoweramp CD ripper for copying music CDs. It rips each individual track and can save the files in any format you like. I rip all of mine to flac format and use JRiver Media Center for archiving and playing them. JRMC is optimized for the best audio playback possible and will catalog your CDs with cover art. I can also be used for playback of other media like archived TV shows and movies up to 4k resolution with HD audio.

FYI - burning a CD means copying the files to a CD-R using a CD burner. Copying files to a hard drive from an optical disc is referred to as ripping.
Thanks Captain Video. And yes, I suppose I meant "ripping" as I am trying to transfer music from my CDs to my hard drive. I will check out the programs you mentioned.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-22-2020, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 635
EAC can do what you want. First, make sure you have the latest. Then rerun the setup wizard. One if the options is how you want the files to come out - it is near the end. It will show an example track and ask you with a huge drop down how you want the files to be arranged.

I think the default just puts it in one big directory, but there are many options to put things in separate directories. If you don't like it, find the closest looking option and customize it in the settings dialog where you can make it exactly how you like.

iTunes by default can't play FLAC files, unfortunately. There are plugins that can enable the functionality, but I believe they only work on the Mac version.
ES_Revenge likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-22-2020, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Why not just rip to Apple Lossless in iTunes?

I've been using EAC/FLAC-8 for 15 years or so and I do like the peace of mind it provides with its error reporting, but lossless is lossless.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-23-2020, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slosh View Post
Why not just rip to Apple Lossless in iTunes?

I've been using EAC/FLAC-8 for 15 years or so and I do like the peace of mind it provides with its error reporting, but lossless is lossless.
That's what I'd been doing, but I have been repeatedly told that FLAC is better, especially for home listening with floorstanders. If that's incorrect, then I'd be happy to keep using iTunes except that I suspect it will soon cease being supported. I was looking for a way to rip all my music to one location so I could put my CDs in storage.

post #7 of 10 Old 03-23-2020, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 458
I've never really used iTunes or downloaded anything from iTunes, but knowing Apple anything that begins with the letter "i" is propietary and doesn't work with other platforms. Flac files are widely supported so you can play them on a lot more devices. I copy flac files to microSD cards along with a playlist and I can play them on the Alpine head unit in my car.
ES_Revenge likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-23-2020, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Apple Lossless (aka m4a lossless) has been opensource for many years now and works just fine with foobar2000, MediaMonkey, etc. There's no sonic advantage with FLAC vs. any other lossless format (at least for CD rips).

FLAC can be high resolution multi-channel (as can WMA Lossless). I run an old version of dBpoweramp (12.4) for when I need to convert audio formats and Apple Lossless is limited to 16-bit/44.1 or 48KHz stereo. I know it can be at least 24-bit/96KHz on Mac OS. Not sure if it's limited to stereo.

Besides my FLAC library with hundreds of high resolution and/or 5.1 channel rips I also have an iPod Classic where I replaced the original HDD with a 512GB micro SD flash drive so I also have a 16-bit/44.1 or 48KHz stereo Apple Lossless library for it.

When played on my HTPC via HDMI with WASAPI I can hear no difference between my high resolution stereo FLAC files and their down-converted Apple Lossless counterparts. Even the high resolution 5.1 files converted to CD resolution stereo sound great (the original mastering is far more important than the bit depth/sampling rate).
post #9 of 10 Old 03-29-2020, 12:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Lossless is lossless, there's no difference in quality in any lossless audio format. However FLAC is arguably more compatible, Apple Lossless being open-source notwithstanding. Just as captain_video said, FLAC is compatible with a lot of car head units (my Kenwood is the same) but ALAC is not. So, choosing a lossless format more comes down to what you need it to be compatible with.

Also EAC can put things however you want them to in folders, however you specify, just have to learn how to use it. Check out hydrogenaudio wiki (assuming that still exists) for more info.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-30-2020, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnilsson View Post

If you have everything tagged well, PLEX provides a nice interface for playback and is very easy to use. It may give you problems with gapless playback on some platforms.

Media Monkey has been a popular tool for organizing music files into folders. I've personally not used it.

For ultimate cross-app compatibility, its best to have album art included in your FLAC tags as well as including a 'folder.jpg' album cover in each album folder. I also recommend checking that both 'album artist' and 'artist' tags are populated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page