Best half height GPU? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-26-2020, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Best half height GPU?

Hi. I have a Silverstone case, it's designed to look like a piece of HT equipment. It's low profile, so the only cards I can put in are half height. Can someone recommend the most powerful half height card for HT use? I'm currently not using a discrete GPU at all; it's an AMD A10 7700 APU. I had bad lag on some 4K movies then I read here that I should switch from ZoomPlayer to MPC. Tried that, works great. However I still see occasional judder on some stuff so I figured it wouldn't hurt to get a strong GPU. Really I suppose I should swap the CPU/mobo as well but I figured I'd start with the GPU then do the rest if warranted.

From what I'm seeing, GTX 1050 series is the best that will fit. Would you concur? If down the road I decide to add some image processing will a 1050 be up to the task? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-27-2020, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Do you have any other peripheral cards installed on your motherboard other than the graphics card? If not and you might be thinking of upgrading the motherboard anyway, I would highly recommend getting a mini-iTX motherboard and using a case such as the Silverstone ML08 or the Fractal Design Node 202 as well as a few others. Both cases come with a riser card that allows you to use a full-sized, dual slot graphics card mounted parallel to the motherboard. The cases are low profile and are probably a bit smaller than a VCR or older Tivo. They're both nice cases, but I think the Silverstone has a bit more room inside and is a little more versatile.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-27-2020, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks, I'll check that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 172
1050 Ti still retains this crown I believe--best GPU that's made as a half-height card. However if you're not doing any gaming a regular 1050 is fine (1050 Ti isn't really doing much for gaming these days anyway).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page