• 1 Post By MRAYB

post #1 of 11 Old 04-08-2020, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Media Collection on the Road

So, I am once again back on the road as an OTR driver. The truck I have I put in a 32" TV and right now my laptop to connect via HDMI. I plan to get a Roku stick as well. I was trying to figure a way how I can bring my movie and TV collection along with me on the road so I don't have to worry about the truckstops (which they shut all the TV rooms down anyway because of the virus crap).

I use Emby on my unRAID server at home, but unfortunately I have an satellite internet connection which is pretty much useless on upload so that option is out as far as trying to stream from home, so I will have to go with a portable option.

Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 667
The easiest solution is a portable hard disk - you can pick up a 5tb hard drive for $100 or less. Before you leave, you copy onto it the latest movies you want to watch. Plug that into your laptop and watch through that. If your truck is rough on stuff, then get two drives and split your collection so if one does, you still have something. No need to protect the collection since the server at home will have it protected.

Use the roku for streaming services - netflix and such means you probably don't need the older movies in your collection.

If you end up filling it and unwilling to delete any old movies, you can pick up more hard drives as needed. They're cheap.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Most 3.5" external hard drives require an AC power connection. You could pick up a bunch of inexpensive 2.5" SSDs and use a USB adapter that plugs into your laptop. Even though the link I provided is for a USB 3.0 port, a single USB 2.0 port will power an external SSD with no problems. I use them with my first generation Intel NUCS (USB 2.0 only) and SSDs and they work fine. SSDs will be more expensive but they'll take up a lot less physical space than a 3.5" external drive enclosure and AC adapter.

It mostly depends on how much storage you need and whether or not your movies are compressed to reduce the size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-09-2020, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
Most 3.5" external hard drives require an AC power connection. You could pick up a bunch of inexpensive 2.5" SSDs and use a USB adapter that plugs into your laptop. Even though the link I provided is for a USB 3.0 port, a single USB 2.0 port will power an external SSD with no problems. I use them with my first generation Intel NUCS (USB 2.0 only) and SSDs and they work fine. SSDs will be more expensive but they'll take up a lot less physical space than a 3.5" external drive enclosure and AC adapter.

It mostly depends on how much storage you need and whether or not your movies are compressed to reduce the size.
I have a few 500GB SSD's lying around could use those. All of my movies and TV shows are on the unRAID server as 1:1 MKV rips. I don't think I will take the entire collection, just the ones that I know I will watch on the road, a good number of TV shows and some movies.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-10-2020, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You don't need AC adapters for 5tb portable drives (2.5"). No need to use expensive SSDs for this purpose. And yes, I've bought them on sale for under $100.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-10-2020, 03:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 1984
@AVTechMan ....Portable HDD drives are the way to go. I had two, 2TB drives filled with old movies plugged into the back of my new tv. These go back to when you had to "download" movies from various sources. Mostly prior to Netflix, Amazon and the like. I rarely accessed them any more due to all the streaming options available. One of my neighbors are an older couple in their 70's- 80's. They have been staying isolated big time. Mind you they only had local OTA and a dvd player. No internet. We were out talking the other day while working in the yard and they mentioned how bored they were with nothing good to watch all day with just the antenna. I went in the house and grabbed one of my drives from my tv and took it over and hooked it up to their tv. They were blown away. They just don't grasp how there are like 200 movies on the little black box that they can watch at anytime they feel like. Made all the time I spent in making the drives well worth it.
dj4monie likes this.

Last edited by MRAYB; 04-10-2020 at 12:51 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-10-2020, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
You don't need AC adapters for 5tb portable drives (2.5"). No need to use expensive SSDs for this purpose. And yes, I've bought them on sale for under $100.
True, you don't need an ac adapter for a 2.5" external drive, but I believe they require two USB ports to power them. An SSD with the adapter I mentioned only requires a single port. A SSD is going to withstand constant vibrations and shock much better than any rotating drive so it's less likely to fail in the OP's environment. However, I didn't realize the 5TB drive was 2.5" so it would definitely be more cost effective.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-10-2020, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
True, you don't need an ac adapter for a 2.5" external drive, but I believe they require two USB ports to power them. An SSD with the adapter I mentioned only requires a single port. A SSD is going to withstand constant vibrations and shock much better than any rotating drive so it's less likely to fail in the OP's environment. However, I didn't realize the 5TB drive was 2.5" so it would definitely be more cost effective.

Modern SSD drives require only 1 usb port, even the 5tb.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-10-2020, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtomp View Post
Modern SSD drives require only 1 usb port, even the 5tb.
I already mentioned that a SSD only requires a single USB port. The 5TB external drive is not a SSD.

FYI - Staples has the Seagate 5TB portable drive on sale for $87 with free shipping. Check slickdeals.net for the deal and coupon code.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-10-2020, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
you are right...meant to say ssd or not. my bad.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-11-2020, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 5tb portable drives I have use a standard USB cable. The last time i saw a HDD with dual USB plugs required was when they were under 200gb in size.

They won't work when plugged into a phone, but they work just fine in a laptop.

Yes SSDs are better, but sub $100 5tb drives are perfect for carrying large amounts of media.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page