HDHomeRun Quatro ATSC 3.0 Kickstarter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By whiteboy714
  • 1 Post By captain_video

post #1 of 18 Old 04-22-2020, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 347
HDHomeRun Quatro ATSC 3.0 Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ba3d-425599821

I've watched the pledges go from $8k to $16 while posting this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-22-2020, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 2754
It's over $32k now. It'll probably be funded in the next 15 minutes.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-22-2020, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Anndd. Goal hit!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-22-2020, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post
Anndd. Goal hit!
That didn't take long.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-22-2020, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 461
I just pledged. The goal was $50k. It was around $117k when I made the pledge. What gets me is that it says the units will ship around June 2020. That must mean they have already completed the design phase and are probably just looking for funds to tool up for manufacturing or possibly to get the components needed to start the first production run. I'm thinking it's just a pre-sales gimmick to get an idea how many units they'll need to build to supply the initial demand.

Whatever the case, Baltimore is in the list of initial markets going to ATSC 3.0 and Washington D.C. is in the next batch. I just wish I knew which channels were making the switch. The locals here are still in the process of completing the repack and some of the local VHF channels are changing frequencies.

Last edited by captain_video; 04-22-2020 at 12:48 PM.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-22-2020, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

I can wait until they hit amazon! I'm not in a huge rush right now to do beta testing.

post #7 of 18 Old 04-22-2020, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can wait until they hit amazon! I'm not in a huge rush right now to do beta testing.
Yeah. In retrospect I jumped the gun when I should have waited. There aren't any local stations broadcasting in 4k yet, although it's supposed to happen sometime later this year. HDHR tuners go on sale fairly often so I probably should have waited. I'm not that concerned about being a beta tester considering SD has been doing networked tuners for quite some time now. I imagine if there are any bugs that need to be ironed out it will be fixed via a firmware update.

I will probably end up picking up a 2nd unit after both my local Baltimore and DC stations upgrade to 4k to make sure I'm able to get all of the shows I watch in 4k, assuming they're all being broadcast in 4k. It will be interesting to see how much they compress the signal to squeeze it into the available bandwidth. HDTV has digressed to where it's just not as good as it once was, both via OTA and cable/FIOS. Let's all hope it's as good as it could be.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-25-2020, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Going to be pretty sweet when this becomes more normal, I am more rural so not holding my breath, but if and when we get 4k here
I'll have to throw up an antenna.
Sammy2 likes this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #9 of 18 Old 04-27-2020, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Going to be pretty sweet when this becomes more normal, I am more rural so not holding my breath, but if and when we get 4k here
I'll have to throw up an antenna.
Since Spectrum is f'n with you, throw one up now!

post #10 of 18 Old 04-27-2020, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Quote:
Since Spectrum is f'n with you, throw one up now!
Moving to a new house so, not sure yet. But probably going with Youtube TV liking it so far.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #11 of 18 Old 04-27-2020, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The fly in the ointment with this is that even though stations may be capable of broadcasting 4k with the new standard, chances are they'll either continue to broadcast in 720p or 1080i and possibly 1080p for the foreseeable future. It may be a while before we start seeing much content in 4k. Aside from that, I believe it also allows for two HD channels to be broadcast on the same frequency along with the other sub-channels. It also supports HDR content. I believe it also allows for soundtracks to be broadcast in Dolby AC-4 (i.e., 7.1.4) and not just 5.1. It can also broadcast to mobile devices like phones and iPads. It's backwards compatible with ATSC 1.0, but if you're using an older HDTV you will need a converter box to allow ATSC 3.0 channels to be displayed on an older ATSC 1.0 set. IIRC, you only need one converter box for your entire household and not for each individual TV. Another plus of the new standard is that it can also be used for 8k if and when that becomes available. Of course, you'll need an 8k HDTV to enjoy the newest features. I've already got a 7.1 setup and my pre/pro is capable of 7.1.4 and possibly 7.1.6. Looks like I may be putting together my Atmos setup sooner than I anticipated.

Last edited by captain_video; 04-27-2020 at 01:24 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-28-2020, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
The fly in the ointment with this is that even though stations may be capable of broadcasting 4k with the new standard, chances are they'll either continue to broadcast in 720p or 1080i and possibly 1080p for the foreseeable future. It may be a while before we start seeing much content in 4k.
I guess I'm just not very optimistic that we'll see wide-spread broadcast 4K happening as a result of ATSC-3. We have been in ATSC-1 for over a decade and still half the main network channels don't even broadcast in 1080. In the beginning, when all the bandwidth was dedicated to a single HD channel, OTA-HD looked great. And then over the years the broadcasters have bit-starved their HD channels in order to squeeze in multiple 480 sub-channels. The lessons of the past point to the future -- do you use the extra bandwidth ATSC 3 provides (25Mbps) for a 4K broadcast or just continue with HD and take advantage of H.265 compression to make existing HD look great again while inserting even more sub-channels. Lots of low-resolution sub-channels may be horrible but each channel generates $$ from advertising revenue.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how it unfolds, but I'm going to stay conservative with my expectations.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #13 of 18 Old 04-29-2020, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would be ecstatic if they just started broadcasting in 1080p without the severe compression that plagues current broadcasts. HDTV looked great when it was first introduced but they've compressed it so much that it looks much softer and grainier than it once did. It's still a far cry from the old NTSC standard, but it seems like it has digressed a bit. What's the point of having better technology if you're just going to dumb it down?

But, like you said, it's all about advertising revenue. Local OTA stations have to compete with cable, satellite, and a multitude of streaming services so their viewer base is constantly diminishing. You would think that better picture quality should attract more viewers, but I guess that's not always the case. My wife tends to watch SD channels most of the time even when there's a HD version of the same channel that would simply require her to change the channel. She could care less about sound and picture quality.
rekbones likes this.

Last edited by captain_video; 04-29-2020 at 05:40 AM.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-29-2020, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 900
My take... by the time ATSC 3.0 takes off quality won't be any better simply there will be more channels and by then I'll have given up OTA. Even if I disagreed with myself I'd wait for a new version (probably cheaper per tuner) with four ATSC 3.0 tuners.

| 125" Projection - 5.2.4 Audio - Dual boot ODROID-N2 CoreELEC Media Player / Ubuntu Media Server | 65" OLED TV - TiVo |- Fire TV 4K |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #15 of 18 Old 05-22-2020, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Saw San Diego is listed as part of "the first markets targeted for introduction of ATSC 3.0 signals" https://www.atsc.org/nextgen-tv/deployments/ So I decided to join the kickstarter this morning before it ended. Currently use a Tivo Roamio OTA. I am also interested in playing with the HDHomerun app on my Nvidia Shield and the various other SW than can interface with the Homerun.
post #16 of 18 Old 05-22-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm in CT, which is one of the areas marked as "first markets". The problem is I'm pretty far away from the towers. The closest antennas are 10 miles away. Most of the ones I'd want to get are 25 miles away. At my property, all I see is trees. Not even my neighbors.

Bob
post #17 of 18 Old 05-22-2020, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
Saw San Diego is listed as part of "the first markets targeted for introduction of ATSC 3.0 signals" https://www.atsc.org/nextgen-tv/deployments/ So I decided to join the kickstarter this morning before it ended. Currently use a Tivo Roamio OTA. I am also interested in playing with the HDHomerun app on my Nvidia Shield and the various other SW than can interface with the Homerun.
You might want to check out Channels DVR. The SD DVR app is absolute crap. It works, but the UI is a godawful mess and the guide sucks. The Channels app can be installed on your Shield and the DVR engine can be installed on any PC or other compatible device on your network. I have the DVR engine installed on a Win 10 HTPC and the Channels app is installed on my Shields. You can download it onto your Shield through the app store. I've been using it with my HDHR Quatro and it works great. It automatically maps the commercials for you, but like most commercial skipping apps it's hit or miss and not 100% accurate. You can set it up to skip commercials automatically, but I do it manually by using the 30-second skip function. You can actually program it for whatever length you want to skip, both forwards and backwards. You can try it free for 30 days and then it's $80 per year. It may seem a bit pricey, but compared to $25 per year for the SD HDHR DVR app it's still worth it, IMHO. It also works with the HDHR Prime, but only for non-copy protected channels.
post #18 of 18 Old 05-22-2020, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
You might want to check out Channels DVR. The SD DVR app is absolute crap. It works, but the UI is a godawful mess and the guide sucks. The Channels app can be installed on your Shield and the DVR engine can be installed on any PC or other compatible device on your network. I have the DVR engine installed on a Win 10 HTPC and the Channels app is installed on my Shields. You can download it onto your Shield through the app store. I've been using it with my HDHR Quatro and it works great. It automatically maps the commercials for you, but like most commercial skipping apps it's hit or miss and not 100% accurate. You can set it up to skip commercials automatically, but I do it manually by using the 30-second skip function. You can actually program it for whatever length you want to skip, both forwards and backwards. You can try it free for 30 days and then it's $80 per year. It may seem a bit pricey, but compared to $25 per year for the SD HDHR DVR app it's still worth it, IMHO. It also works with the HDHR Prime, but only for non-copy protected channels.
Thanks for the info. Before I joined the Kickstarter for the Quatro ATSC 3.0, I watched some videos on the current HD Homerun and Lon at Lon.TV (youtube) talked about the Channels app. $80/year is pretty darn pricey. My Tivo Roamio OTA was only $300 (on sale), comes with a great DVR feature, and doesn't have a monthly charge. When the Quatro ATSC 3.0 comes, I'll give it a try and check out the different DVR options. It sounds like it will be fun to play with and I am curious what the picture quality will be like..... especially as ATSC 3.0 matures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page