DDL HTPC Upgrade - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-25-2020, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DDL HTPC Upgrade

I have an older HTPC based on Win 7 32bit based on Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 that I use primarily to play mp3, youtube and surf the web. Because Win 7 is no longer being supported I am thinking about going to windows 10. However, I have Turtle Bay Montego card in it based on CMedia 8768 chip which does not have a wind 10 driver. I also am still in love with Windows Media center which is also not support by windows 10.

I love the montego card because it has has Dolby digital live which in my opinion does an excellent job with my mp3 music. I have tried using my MB sound options to send stereo to my Denon 1910 receiver which then encodes with pro logic for my 5.1 speaker set up but doesnt sound as good to me.

I know the general sentiment on the internet is that DDL is old school but I cant just seem to get pro logic to sound comparable for mp3s.

Any ideas or suggestions.

If you ain't a Gator, then you must be GATOR BAIT!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-25-2020, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 6524 Post(s)
Liked: 4660
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasguild View Post
I have an older HTPC based on Win 7 32bit based on Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 that I use primarily to play mp3, youtube and surf the web. Because Win 7 is no longer being supported I am thinking about going to windows 10. However, I have Turtle Bay Montego card in it based on CMedia 8768 chip which does not have a wind 10 driver. I also am still in love with Windows Media center which is also not support by windows 10.

I love the montego card because it has has Dolby digital live which in my opinion does an excellent job with my mp3 music. I have tried using my MB sound options to send stereo to my Denon 1910 receiver which then encodes with pro logic for my 5.1 speaker set up but doesnt sound as good to me.

I know the general sentiment on the internet is that DDL is old school but I cant just seem to get pro logic to sound comparable for mp3s.

Any ideas or suggestions.
A windows 7 / 8 x64 driver will still work in windows 10 for that hardware. Other people have gotten it to work.
Getting windows media center going may be more challenging.

If this is a limited use PC that you're only using for HTPC duties, why not just keep at windows 7?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-26-2020, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post

If this is a limited use PC that you're only using for HTPC duties, why not just keep at windows 7?

Hey thanks for responding.

Well supposedly MS stop supporting windows 7 earlier this year and there are suggestions that its going to be vulnerable to attacks. Is that not correct?

Also is it correct that I can not get dolby or other encoded sound out of my htpc while playing MP3? My mb, has HDMI, 8 channel audio and Optical but I cant figure out how to get any digital 5.1 sound out of it.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by jasguild; 04-26-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-28-2020, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasguild View Post
Hey thanks for responding.

Well supposedly MS stop supporting windows 7 earlier this year and there are suggestions that its going to be vulnerable to attacks. Is that not correct?

Thanks for your help
IN my opinion, if that is just a HTPC without important financial information, even it is under attack what do you lose? The worst case scenario is that he PC is locked. YOu can always reformat it and restore from backup.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-13-2020, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC8813 View Post
IN my opinion, if that is just a HTPC without important financial information, even it is under attack what do you lose? The worst case scenario is that he PC is locked. YOu can always reformat it and restore from backup.
That is very true!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page