Quick question regarding internal 4k burner or 4k player? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-09-2020, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quick question regarding internal 4k burner or 4k player?

My son is going to help me build a HTPC. I built one a number of years ago but were going to start over.

My question is if I'm going to rip UHD movies to a hard drive do I need a ripper or is that handled by software? Rippers are $300+.

Here's are build/Maybe a little overkill but suggestions would be helpful

CPU/Intel I-5 9600
GPU/RTX 2060
Motherboard/MSI pro2 390a
M.2 boot drive/Samsung
Hard drive/12 TB Seagate IronWolf
Ram/3200 DDR4/16 Gigs
4k internal Optical drive
Silverstone case

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-09-2020, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Ripping is a software function. You just need to purchase a UHD rip friendly optical drive with the correct firmware version. I have found the LG ones to work well. Here is an example of one. https://www.microcenter.com/product/...ray-disc-drive If you do not want to hunt down the proper firmware version to flash your optical drive, the DVDFab UHD drive tool, https://www.dvdfab.cn/uhd-drive-tool...ackID=headmenu is a product that works. They also make a great suite of products to rip and play your movies.

Your build will work fine. What is the purpose of the 12TB hard drive in your unit? If you want to do this correctly, you should purchase a separate Network attached storage device with at least 4 drive bays. You then put your hard drives in there as your storage needs expand and your spinning, loud drives can be away from your listening room. 16GB RAM is more than sufficient.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #3 of 9 Old 05-09-2020, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
Ripping is a software function. You just need to purchase a UHD rip friendly optical drive with the correct firmware version. I have found the LG ones to work well. Here is an example of one. https://www.microcenter.com/product/...ray-disc-drive If you do not want to hunt down the proper firmware version to flash your optical drive, the DVDFab UHD drive tool, https://www.dvdfab.cn/uhd-drive-tool...ackID=headmenu is a product that works. They also make a great suite of products to rip and play your movies.

Your build will work fine. What is the purpose of the 12TB hard drive in your unit? If you want to do this correctly, you should purchase a separate Network attached storage device with at least 4 drive bays. You then put your hard drives in there as your storage needs expand and your spinning, loud drives can be away from your listening room. 16GB RAM is more than sufficient.
I appreciate your reply. Will the drive that you showed do 4K?

I like your idea of a network drive. Makes sense.

Thanks for you help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-09-2020, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

UHD is the correct name of the Bluray format that is 3840x2160. Some people incorrectly refer to that as 4k because it is close to 4k. True 4K really is only used in movie theaters or for professional video production.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
post #5 of 9 Old 05-09-2020, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
UHD is the correct name of the Bluray format that is 3840x2160. Some people incorrectly refer to that as 4k because it is close to 4k. True 4K really is only used in movie theaters or for professional video production.
Unless I'm overlooking it somewhere, the page you linked to doesn't mention UHD support for that LG drive.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-10-2020, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 666
UHD friendlyd rives are only used for ripping. They will not play back UHD discs. If you're ripping, then the lg is fine. The friendly drives use the fact that UHD discs are similar to bd-xl discs to read them.

I wouldn't suggest using a htpc for UHD disc playback. Dedicated players are far better for this than PC players - why pay cyberlink $100/year to play UHD discs when a UHD player costs $200.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-10-2020, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Real Purpose of a HTPC?

Ok, to clarify, The drive you linked will allow me to put a UHD movie in there and rip it to my hard drive?

If you or someone wouldn't mind clairfying a couple of questions that would be helpful.

I currently have approx a 1000 blu-rays and a 100 UHD movies + a ton of Standard DVD's.

I previously ripped 50% of them onto hard drives and played them through mymovies. I ripped them through sly fox or some software. I have a 400 disc Sony BluRay player that was connected through RS 232 and mymovies which also allowed me to watch those movies. The Sony BluRay disc player is getting buggy and my old HTPC is dying so I wanted to start new.

Are people still ripping their movies to their hard drives?

Can you improve through your HTPC picture quality using madvr for streaming content like Hulu, netflix, etc?

I have a JVC NX7 with a 7.1 system and Stewart Screen so it's a treat to watch movies in my Theater but before I drop $1500 on a new HTPC and either transfer the movies already currently ripped to newer drives and rip the other half I want to make sure I'm thinking correctly.

Sorry for the long winded post. I do have the Panasonic 820 UHD bluray player and it does an excellent job.

Thanks so much for your insight.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-10-2020, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
UHD friendlyd rives are only used for ripping. They will not play back UHD discs. If you're ripping, then the lg is fine. The friendly drives use the fact that UHD discs are similar to bd-xl discs to read them.

I wouldn't suggest using a htpc for UHD disc playback. Dedicated players are far better for this than PC players - why pay cyberlink $100/year to play UHD discs when a UHD player costs $200.

Incorrect these days. UHD drives can play UHD disks just fine with the correct players.

Last edited by mlknez; 05-10-2020 at 08:49 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-10-2020, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shafer View Post
Ok, to clarify, The drive you linked will allow me to put a UHD movie in there and rip it to my hard drive?

If you or someone wouldn't mind clairfying a couple of questions that would be helpful.

I currently have approx a 1000 blu-rays and a 100 UHD movies + a ton of Standard DVD's.

I previously ripped 50% of them onto hard drives and played them through mymovies. I ripped them through sly fox or some software. I have a 400 disc Sony BluRay player that was connected through RS 232 and mymovies which also allowed me to watch those movies. The Sony BluRay disc player is getting buggy and my old HTPC is dying so I wanted to start new.

Are people still ripping their movies to their hard drives?

Can you improve through your HTPC picture quality using madvr for streaming content like Hulu, netflix, etc?

I have a JVC NX7 with a 7.1 system and Stewart Screen so it's a treat to watch movies in my Theater but before I drop $1500 on a new HTPC and either transfer the movies already currently ripped to newer drives and rip the other half I want to make sure I'm thinking correctly.

Sorry for the long winded post. I do have the Panasonic 820 UHD bluray player and it does an excellent job.

Thanks so much for your insight.
That is correct. You can rip UHDs and standard blue ray discs with that drive, provided you have the proper firmware on that drive.

People still rip discs to their hard drives as it is better quality than streaming and is not reliant on the whims of the provider. Also, you don't have to worry about damage from handling.

madvr can help with internet hosted streaming video quality but not a lot. Most of the quality issues of the streaming providers is based on their lower bitrate. You can only do so much when you are missing information in the stream.

You can lower your build cost a bit, if cost is an issue. You don't need the highest quality or newest of parts to get an adequate HTPC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page