Subwoofer NOT working with Stereo sources playback! Denon X3400H - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-09-2020, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Subwoofer NOT working with Stereo sources playback! Denon X3400H

Hey all - I have a Windows 10 (latest version) HTPC with a Nvidia gtx1050 going to my denon avr-X3400H receiver via HDMI. Pretty standard setup.

I have all movie audio pass through to the amp (Dolby, DTS etc), and it works perfectly. Amp switches over and plays perfectly, subwoofer and all.

I have Windows 10 configured for 7.1 output, and when I test all the speakers in the windows sound panel, they all work - including the sub.

Now, when I play a stereo source, whether it is an mp3 in winamp, or a stereo tv show in MPC or VLC, it ONLY plays from the front two speakers, and no subwoofer. Even though the amp shows "M in 7.1"

I have found a workaround for the mp3 with foobar2000 player, which upmixes stereo to 7.1, then all the speakers are in play and work fine.

I have tried fiddling with the 'mixer' option in MPC-HC, but it simply didn't so anything when I selected 5.1 or 7.1 for the output. Just played stereo, no sub.

Is there something easy I am missing?

I don't want to change any settings on my amp if it can be avoided, as most things I play are true surround sound.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate, sorry for the TL;DR!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-10-2020, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Set windows to stereo mode when playing stereo sources.

The thing is when you set windows to 7.1 it always outputs 7.1 audio. Stereo sound just means he left and right channel audio of that 7.1 stream is used while the other channels are silent. Reserve 7.1 mode for when you need it like games or if you are doing decoding on the PC.

With some players you can set them to use WASAPI for playback - this is suggested as it's exclusive and will set the mode correctly.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-10-2020, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

I did try it in stereo as well - still no subwoofer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-10-2020, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have you set your front speakers to Large in Denon setup? If yes, set them to small with crossover to 80 Hz and give it a try.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-10-2020, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanou View Post
Have you set your front speakers to Large in Denon setup? If yes, set them to small with crossover to 80 Hz and give it a try.
I set my speakers to small (80hz crossover), and LFE+Main. It worked, and now I can hear my subwoofer 'wake up' when I play something in stereo.

However, the sub playback is woefully quiet compared to a source that feeds the subwoofer directly.

Biggest test was with music. I used Winamp to play a good bass filled .flac file, then I loaded that same flac file into foobar2000, which has an 'upscaling' option from stereo to 7.1. Not only is every channel louder, but the bass is deeper, richer, and louder. Or maybe just louder, and I am attributing the rest.

I love the visualizations with winamp, but can't seem to find any plugin that will upscale the audio like foobar2000 does.

The sub is definitely engaged with stereo video now as well, but I had to crank the output level +5dB so get it where it is noticeable (same issue as with winamp). This is aggravating, as I would have to manually adjust every time between stereo sources and dedicated bass sources so as to not blow myself out of my room when I switch to a movie. hahah

Any other thoughts?
post #6 of 8 Old 05-10-2020, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Why use LFE + Main ? That means it still will mostly use fronts for LFE and only redirect some bass to subs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 Old 05-11-2020, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordx2 View Post
I set my speakers to small (80hz crossover), and LFE+Main. It worked, and now I can hear my subwoofer 'wake up' when I play something in stereo.

However, the sub playback is woefully quiet compared to a source that feeds the subwoofer directly.

Biggest test was with music. I used Winamp to play a good bass filled .flac file, then I loaded that same flac file into foobar2000, which has an 'upscaling' option from stereo to 7.1. Not only is every channel louder, but the bass is deeper, richer, and louder. Or maybe just louder, and I am attributing the rest.

I love the visualizations with winamp, but can't seem to find any plugin that will upscale the audio like foobar2000 does.

The sub is definitely engaged with stereo video now as well, but I had to crank the output level +5dB so get it where it is noticeable (same issue as with winamp). This is aggravating, as I would have to manually adjust every time between stereo sources and dedicated bass sources so as to not blow myself out of my room when I switch to a movie. hahah

Any other thoughts?
What speakers and sub do you have ?
i would not go LFE + main. Its not optimal
post #8 of 8 Old 05-11-2020, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Set all speakers to small and LFE to just LFE.

No difference between LFE+Main - bass is still going to sub, but waaaaaay quieter than when a dedicated bass channel is going to the sub.

Foobar2000 must do a really good job separating the bass and sending it in a channel with its stereo to 7.1 upmix - because it is a noticeable difference even when playing the same song.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page