Major problem with AMD and GPU scaling/resolution changing - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-10-2020, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Major problem with AMD and GPU scaling/resolution changing

I seem to be having a problem with AMD drivers and getting the actual resolution to change on at least one machine. It's basically like the GPU Scaling function is NOT turning off, even when you have it off as the dropdown box for "Centered, Maintain Aspect, etc." still works even when scaling is off.

More importantly the resolution sent to the TV is not changing. So for example, on a 4K TV, set as 3840*2160 works fine. However choosing any other standard resolution that is easily accepted by the TV like 1920x1080 (1080p) or 1280x720 (720p) doesn't actually work. What it does is it keeps sending a 3840*2160 signal to the TV and just sets the PC's [internal] resolution to what is selected. If you have the scaling option set to "centred" it will just have a small window centred in the screen (1/4 the size, for 1080p for example). Setting to "Maintain Aspect" or "Full Panel" scales it up to the full screen size but it's not actually changing the resolution. This occurs regardless of the scaling option being on or off--i.e. it's scaling no matter what.

This all started happening after changing out a PC (lets call it #1 ) with an older R9 280 to a newer one (#2) with an RX 580. I believe it was working fine at first even changing the PC and GPU connected but I think this is a more recent driver issue? I upgraded the card to an RX 5700 and now with the latest drivers this problem appears. But it doesn't end there...

The same RX 580 I put in the older PC (#1 ) and connected it elsewhere, to a different 4K TV. It has the same problem! When changing resolution the TV still gets a 4K signal and toggling the scaling option does nothing except blank the screen for a second almost like it's "pretending" to work LOL.

I read about the issue a bit online and it seems various people have had the issue with various driver versions, but there's no definite solution. Has anyone here encountered this and solved it?

On PC#2 with the 5700, no matter what I try to change or fiddle with I cannot fix the issue, it's insisting on always sending the TV a 4K/60p signal regardless of changing resolutions, refresh rates, trying custom res., registry settings, and the list goes on. Tried factory resetting the options and updating the driver once more but problem remains. Next will be doing a DDU and going from there.

On PC#1 , now with the 580 in it, I was able to use the "trick" on the internet that you need to change the resolution and the refresh rate (and then the refresh can be changed back again) and that works! However it doesn't work on PC#2--that just does nothing except blank the screen a second and TV still gets 4K/60p though Windows is internally actually refreshing at whatever rate you select

I don't get it? Anyone know why this happens or how to solve it? I also have a #3 with an RX 570 and that one used to work fine but TBH I haven't tried resolution switching on that one since updating drivers. Any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-10-2020, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
I seem to be having a problem with AMD drivers and getting the actual resolution to change on at least one machine. It's basically like the GPU Scaling function is NOT turning off, even when you have it off as the dropdown box for "Centered, Maintain Aspect, etc." still works even when scaling is off.

More importantly the resolution sent to the TV is not changing. So for example, on a 4K TV, set as 3840*2160 works fine. However choosing any other standard resolution that is easily accepted by the TV like 1920x1080 (1080p) or 1280x720 (720p) doesn't actually work. What it does is it keeps sending a 3840*2160 signal to the TV and just sets the PC's [internal] resolution to what is selected. If you have the scaling option set to "centred" it will just have a small window centred in the screen (1/4 the size, for 1080p for example). Setting to "Maintain Aspect" or "Full Panel" scales it up to the full screen size but it's not actually changing the resolution. This occurs regardless of the scaling option being on or off--i.e. it's scaling no matter what.

This all started happening after changing out a PC (lets call it #1 ) with an older R9 280 to a newer one (#2) with an RX 580. I believe it was working fine at first even changing the PC and GPU connected but I think this is a more recent driver issue? I upgraded the card to an RX 5700 and now with the latest drivers this problem appears. But it doesn't end there...

The same RX 580 I put in the older PC (#1 ) and connected it elsewhere, to a different 4K TV. It has the same problem! When changing resolution the TV still gets a 4K signal and toggling the scaling option does nothing except blank the screen for a second almost like it's "pretending" to work LOL.

I read about the issue a bit online and it seems various people have had the issue with various driver versions, but there's no definite solution. Has anyone here encountered this and solved it?

On PC#2 with the 5700, no matter what I try to change or fiddle with I cannot fix the issue, it's insisting on always sending the TV a 4K/60p signal regardless of changing resolutions, refresh rates, trying custom res., registry settings, and the list goes on. Tried factory resetting the options and updating the driver once more but problem remains. Next will be doing a DDU and going from there.

On PC#1 , now with the 580 in it, I was able to use the "trick" on the internet that you need to change the resolution and the refresh rate (and then the refresh can be changed back again) and that works! However it doesn't work on PC#2--that just does nothing except blank the screen a second and TV still gets 4K/60p though Windows is internally actually refreshing at whatever rate you select

I don't get it? Anyone know why this happens or how to solve it? I also have a #3 with an RX 570 and that one used to work fine but TBH I haven't tried resolution switching on that one since updating drivers. Any advice would be appreciated!
What software are you using to play your video's? I am using NVidia so can't help with your AMD issue if you have one but the player settings are where I would look for your issues. My NVidia setup defaults to "let the player software control the settings" so this is where I would look for your issue. In KODI for an example under player setting you have "adjust display refresh rate" default is never and I have it set to always. Also sync playback to display is disabled. I also need to enable the available refresh rates the display is capable of.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 4 Old 05-12-2020, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
What software are you using to play your video's? I am using NVidia so can't help with your AMD issue if you have one but the player settings are where I would look for your issues. My NVidia setup defaults to "let the player software control the settings" so this is where I would look for your issue. In KODI for an example under player setting you have "adjust display refresh rate" default is never and I have it set to always. Also sync playback to display is disabled. I also need to enable the available refresh rates the display is capable of.
Not sure what difference software would make, not even talking about videos just talking about Windows itself. In games for example, the same thing is true. Switching game resolution (to a common resolution, not an "odd" one) doesn't result in a change of output resolution just a change of the rendered resolution. If that "GPU Scaling" option isn't set to "Maintain Aspect" or "Full Panel" then it just displays a small window (of the less-than-4K res) on the screen. GPU Scaling is not turning off, even when that option is off. When the scaling is off and you select a resolution the TV/monitor accepts, it's supposed to change to that resolution. It's not doing that.

I could try out Kodi but I don't think it's going to work since Windows itself and the driver have to change these things and if the GPU scaling is stuck "on" (even when it says it's off) then the output res/refresh aren't going to change. I still have yet to do the DDU and try reinstalling though, will get to that soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-12-2020, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well somehow I got this working now, but only with the same "change the refresh rate in Windows display adapter properties trick". I did update the fw on the TV today but I'm not sure if it's related since the fw I was on still should work with all the resolutions correctly.

As a side note/bonus, I was able to setup 1080p/120 and 1440p/120 as customs and they work with the TV indicating the correct res and refresh now

Guess I don't have to reinstall the drivers after all--phew!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page