Windows 10 5.1 speaker fail - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-11-2020, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Angry Windows 10 5.1 speaker fail

After well over 7 years it was time for a new PC build. I also upgraded to Windows 10. Ever since I have been having annoying audio issues that seem to be pretty common issue for folks based on some Googling.

I have an older 5.1 desktop speaker system. I've had it for years and have been able to have 5.1 surround sound for gaming. I don't use the PC for listening to music or watching movies... just games. Since the upgrade though, I can only get stereo playback in games. I'm using the motherboards onboard sound (Realtek and have tried updating the drivers etc) I know the speakers work! I've gotten sounds out of them when running the Windows set up tools and have the system configured for 5.1 sounds. But when I game, or run a YouTube test, all I get is stereo.

I've seen some threads discussing this issue and it sounds like it is a combo of Windows 10 and the Realtek drivers. There are even some non-official drivers out there you can download that supposedly fix it, but they all looked a bit dodgy (had to disable a lot of security stuff) and more trouble than it is worth and I felt like I was getting in way over my head. I'm willing to pay my way to getting my 5.1 sound back, but I am not going to buy a new AVR, new speakers etc etc. Would a sound card fix this issue? I'm thinking a SoundBlaster card? I'm happy to buy one, I just want to be sure it will address the issue and won't just give me more of the same problem.

Some data in case it is helpful:
MoBo - MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI Gaming Motherboard AMD AM4

Speakers - Altec Lansing Amplifies Speaker System
Windows 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-11-2020, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Sound cards have gone by the way side. The only real support is HDMI based. The manufactures have no interest in supporting this legacy hardware. Older used AVR's are a dime a dozen for dirk cheap that have older HDMI support is the direction I would go in.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #3 of 5 Old 05-12-2020, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Sound cards have gone by the way side. The only real support is HDMI based. The manufactures have no interest in supporting this legacy hardware. Older used AVR's are a dime a dozen for dirk cheap that have older HDMI support is the direction I would go in.
I'm not sure I totally agree that Sound cards are over and done with but I guess that isn't really important. What I do know is that I don't have the physical room to put an AVR on my desk and I don't really want to buy a full set of new speakers, which also won't fit on my desk. I can't believe there is no alternative here. The speakers I have work, so I don't understand what is happening that I can't get 5.1 out of a new build without buying a full AVR and speaker setup.

Wouldn't the sound card to the same thing as the AVR? Then the speakers I have can handle the amp part of it right?

Last edited by Wanchope; 05-12-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-12-2020, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 6524 Post(s)
Liked: 4660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanchope View Post
After well over 7 years it was time for a new PC build. I also upgraded to Windows 10. Ever since I have been having annoying audio issues that seem to be pretty common issue for folks based on some Googling.

I have an older 5.1 desktop speaker system. I've had it for years and have been able to have 5.1 surround sound for gaming. I don't use the PC for listening to music or watching movies... just games. Since the upgrade though, I can only get stereo playback in games. I'm using the motherboards onboard sound (Realtek and have tried updating the drivers etc) I know the speakers work! I've gotten sounds out of them when running the Windows set up tools and have the system configured for 5.1 sounds. But when I game, or run a YouTube test, all I get is stereo.

I've seen some threads discussing this issue and it sounds like it is a combo of Windows 10 and the Realtek drivers. There are even some non-official drivers out there you can download that supposedly fix it, but they all looked a bit dodgy (had to disable a lot of security stuff) and more trouble than it is worth and I felt like I was getting in way over my head. I'm willing to pay my way to getting my 5.1 sound back, but I am not going to buy a new AVR, new speakers etc etc. Would a sound card fix this issue? I'm thinking a SoundBlaster card? I'm happy to buy one, I just want to be sure it will address the issue and won't just give me more of the same problem.

Some data in case it is helpful:
MoBo - MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI Gaming Motherboard AMD AM4

Speakers - Altec Lansing Amplifies Speaker System
Windows 10
Windows key + r, type mmsys.cpl, hit enter.
Find your active sound device. Make sure it's set to default. Highlight it, hit configure.
Select the 5.1 sound that matches your configuration (side vs rear speakers).
Run test. Do you get sound out of all 5 speakers?
If yes, then your issue is *not* a windows 10 or driver issue as you have just proven that windows is capable of decoding and playing multichannel audio output to all your speakers.
Make sure you click next and save the configuration, if you made any changes.

Good chance web browser based youtube will always only be 2 channel. The rest may be up to the game. Some games don't support greater than 2 channel sound.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-18-2020, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Just a quick follow up. I dropped $40 on an old Sound Blaster Audigy card. Everything works now. It also sounds a lot cleaner, and I have better control. And I've got 5.1 sound back.

The RealTek audio from the MoBo really sucked. It actually completely stopped working a couple of days ago after some update... not sure if it was a Windows update or what, but I had zero sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
5.1 , realtek , Surround Sound , windows 10

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page