Fresh start/New HTPC built, what's next? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By steve shafer
  • 1 Post By steve shafer
  • 1 Post By markmon1
  • 1 Post By markmon1
  • 1 Post By captain_video

post #1 of 20 Old 05-29-2020, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Fresh start/New HTPC built, what's next?

Ok, first off Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

New HTPC, 16 TB of storage. Plenty fast. Only requirements is that whatever software I use it has to have MadVR be a part of it.

Already have 500-600 movies ripped on previous hard drives and will copy them over to the new Harddrives. I used to use my Movies back in the day.

Wo what ripping software should I go with? I used to use SlyFox AnyDVD which now is under new management? MakeMKV? Clone BD? I most likely will only want to copy the movie and not everything else.

Media player? I know under MadVR's website it shows which players are compatible with MadVR but what would you go with if you were starting fresh?

I think that's it for now unless you have some idea's on things I'm missing.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-29-2020, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Why the need for madVR?
Will you be using UHDs?
What about music?
Will you need HDR?

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #3 of 20 Old 05-29-2020, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 464
I use MakeMKV for ripping and JRiver Media Center for movie playback. It has madVR integrated in with the program. Works great for 1080p and 4k content and pretty much any other resolution. It was originally geared mostly towards music playback but it has evolved into a very good video player as well. I built a standalone Windows 10 HTPC for use with JRMC and I've been very pleased with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-29-2020, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shafer View Post
Ok, first off Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

New HTPC, 16 TB of storage. Plenty fast. Only requirements is that whatever software I use it has to have MadVR be a part of it.

Already have 500-600 movies ripped on previous hard drives and will copy them over to the new Harddrives. I used to use my Movies back in the day.

Wo what ripping software should I go with? I used to use SlyFox AnyDVD which now is under new management? MakeMKV? Clone BD? I most likely will only want to copy the movie and not everything else.

Media player? I know under MadVR's website it shows which players are compatible with MadVR but what would you go with if you were starting fresh?

I think that's it for now unless you have some idea's on things I'm missing.

Thanks
MakeMKV has always worked for me. I'm about to build a new HTPC and based on the demo I downloaded and have been playing around with, JRiver is no joke! It looks to be able to do everything I want to do now and tons I don't even realize yet that I want to do!!!
post #5 of 20 Old 05-29-2020, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Great questions and insights guys.

I have the JVC NX7 projector and probably 800 blu-rays, 100 UHD discs and a 1000 DVD's so I want the DVD's to look as good as possible and of course the best possible for Blu-Ray.

Yes, defanitley want and will use HDR. Music is important but not end all. I have a Apple 4kTV for steaming.

I ripped a movie a few hours ago with MakeMKV, easy enough. I will download JR River and see how it looks.

Thanks again for your comments
TSHA222 likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-29-2020, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great questions and insights guys.

I have the JVC NX7 projector and probably 800 blu-rays, 100 UHD discs and a 1000 DVD's so I want the DVD's to look as good as possible and of course the best possible for Blu-Ray.

Yes, defanitley want and will use HDR. Music is important but not end all. I have a Apple 4kTV for steaming.

I ripped a movie a few hours ago with MakeMKV, easy enough. I will download JR River and see how it looks.

Thanks again for your comments
What are your PC specs? I posted a new thread here in the Home Theater Computers section a couple hours ago asking for advice on my upcoming build. Haven't gotten any replies yet but I am sure someone will chime in. I'm trying to see what everyone is running to base my own build on. I know enough to be dangerous and that's about it.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-30-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I built this HTPC in December 2017 and I still use it today.

Case: Silverstone GD09 with 120MM fans
Power Supply: Corsair RMX750
CPU: Intel i5-7600k
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Geminii M4
CPU Cooler Fan replacement: Noctua NF-F12
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-HD3
RAM: Crucial 8GB D4 2400
Storage: Samsung 250GB 960Evo NVME M.2
Optical: LG16NS60
GPU: EVGA GTX1060 6GB Vram FTW ACX

It was built to be very quiet as I am 80% music/20% movies
The important things are to get an Optical drive that is "UHD Friendly" and a GPU at least as good as the one that i put in.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB

Last edited by mlknez; 05-30-2020 at 08:20 AM.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-30-2020, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
I built this HTPC in December 2017 and I still use it today.

Case: Silverstone GD09 with 120MM fans
Power Supply: Corsair RMX750
CPU: Intel i5-7600k
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Geminii M4
CPU Cooler Fan replacement: Noctua NF-F12
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-HD3
RAM: Crucial 8GB D4 2400
Storage: Samsung 250GB 960Evo NVME M.2
Optical: LG16NS60
GPU: EVGA GTX1060 6GB Vram FTW ACX

It was built to be very quiet as I am 80% music/20% movies
The important things are to get an Optical drive that is "UHD Friendly" and a GPU at least as good as the one that i put in.
Thanks!

Chris
post #9 of 20 Old 05-31-2020, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 View Post
What are your PC specs? I posted a new thread here in the Home Theater Computers section a couple hours ago asking for advice on my upcoming build. Haven't gotten any replies yet but I am sure someone will chime in. I'm trying to see what everyone is running to base my own build on. I know enough to be dangerous and that's about it.
Sorry I was on the golf course yesterday enjoying our lovely MN weather.

I-5 9600 Kaby Lake
16 gig ram
MSI Motherboard Z390 Gaming Edge AC
2 8 TB seagate Wolf internal HD
512 m-2 SSD bootdrive
MSI RTX2060 Super Graphics card
Pioneer Optical Drive
Cooler fan
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO computer case
Windows 10 Pro

Using this in conjunction with my JVC x7 projector and a 7.1 system
TSHA222 likes this.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-31-2020, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I-5 9600 Kaby Lake
16 gig ram
512 m-2 SSD bootdrive
Pioneer Optical Drive
Cooler fan
Windows 10 Pro

The above config will not rip UHD disks.

post #11 of 20 Old 05-31-2020, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I-5 9600 Kaby Lake
16 gig ram
512 m-2 SSD bootdrive
Pioneer Optical Drive
Cooler fan
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks!
post #12 of 20 Old 05-31-2020, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My thread still has no responses but I'm ready to get started. You mind taking a look at this parts list and see if anything jumps out and screams "NOOOOO"?

I'm not ripping on this machine. I have an editing PC that handles that.
I'm not storing any local content. I have an UnRaid server (74+ tb so far).
I'm also not going to play any physical discs. I have everything ripped but will keep my Oppo in the event I want to watch special features in the theater.
All I want is to be able to play blu-ray rips and UHD rips from the server, using MadVR inside JRiver.
3D playback would be cool but I don't have enough 3D content to worry too much with that and the Oppo can again be used for the few 3D discs I have.

Not wanting to hijack your thread and I won't go on a big back and forth, just want second opinions before I order everything.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ChrisSolo/saved/RPs3ZL

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited by TSHA222; 05-31-2020 at 06:58 PM.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My thread still has no responses but I'm ready to get started. You mind taking a look at this parts list and see if anything jumps out and screams "NOOOOO"?

I'm also not going to play any physical discs. I have everything ripped but will keep my Oppo in the event I want to watch special features in the theater.
All I want is to be able to play blu-ray rips and UHD rips from the server, using MadVR inside JRiver.
3D playback would be cool but I don't have enough 3D content to worry too much with that and the Oppo can again be used for the few 3D discs I have.

Not wanting to hijack your thread and I won't go on a big back and forth, just want second opinions before I order everything.

Thanks!

Chris
I just saw your list and I have a couple of suggestions. There's a newer version of the LG Blu-Ray drive (LG WH16NS40) that replaced the one in your list. The CPU cooler you picked is a budget cooler and it's probably not all that much better than the stock cooler that comes with the CPU. I highly recommend Noctua coolers. They're more expensive but they are literally the last coolers you will ever have to buy. If you ever upgrade the motherboard and CPU to a different CPU cooler mounting configuration, Noctua will send you a mod kit at no charge to mount your cooler on the new motherboard. All you need to do is send them a copy of the original receipt. I have a low profile model that I bought for my HTPC years ago and I have changed the motherboard in it at least two times since I bought the Noctua. They sent me mod kits for each new configuration absolutely free.

BTW, I also have an unRAID server. Been using it for probably 11-12 years. Mine is currently at 163 TB and counting.

Last edited by captain_video; 06-01-2020 at 05:22 AM.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 6767 Post(s)
Liked: 4873
Quote:

I-5 9600 Kaby Lake
16 gig ram
512 m-2 SSD bootdrive
Pioneer Optical Drive
Cooler fan
Windows 10 Pro

You don't need to purchase windows 10 pro either. Download from microsoft's website, install and buy a COA off ebay for $10-15, then activate *legally*.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
I just saw your list and I have a couple of suggestions. There's a newer version of the LG Blu-Ray drive (LG WH16NS40) that replaced the one in your list. The CPU cooler you picked is a budget cooler and it's probably not all that much better than the stock cooler that comes with the CPU. I highly recommend Noctua coolers. They're more expensive but they are literally the last coolers you will ever have to buy. If you ever upgrade the motherboard and CPU to a different CPU cooler mounting configuration, Noctua will send you a mod kit at no charge to mount your cooler on the new motherboard. All you need to do is send them a copy of the original receipt. I have a low profile model that I bought for my HTPC years ago and I have changed the motherboard in it at least two times since I bought the Noctua. They sent me mod kits for each new configuration absolutely free.

BTW, I also have an unRAID server. Been using it for probably 11-12 years. Mine is currently at 163 TB and counting.
I have some catching up to do on the server end. You have me more than doubled!! I built my server in 2015 the same way I'm building this HTPC - asking other people what they did! I run Plex for whole house and away viewing and use Apple TVs at each television location. Thanks for taking a look at my list and I appreciate the heads up on the cooler and drive.

Chris
post #16 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Chris
My suggestion is the same as the one I provided above to someone else. Dump the windows 10 for $100 and download it free of microsoft's website then buy a $10-15 COA key off ebay and activate it. Keys are delivered immediately, and coa is mailed out separately. If you want to, you could apply that $100 to upgrading the video card a notch to a 2070 super.

Quote:
I have some catching up to do on the server end. You have me more than doubled!! I built my server in 2015 the same way I'm building this HTPC - asking other people what they did! I run Plex for whole house and away viewing and use Apple TVs at each television location. Thanks for taking a look at my list and I appreciate the heads up on the cooler and drive.

Chris
You will still be able to use plex and madVR on the HTPC. Plex is provided to windows 10 through kodi now. You can install kodi from the windows 10 store for free then install plex from repository from within kodi. It will install version 0.20. If you poke around plex, you can have it load as automatically. Once this is done, loading kodi loads plex instantly. Don't bother adding anything to the kodi library it will just make plex take longer to load. For all intensive purposes, kodi will be turned into plex after this.

Now you can poke around google for how playercorefactory works and setup kodi to use an external player that supports madVR such as zoom player or mpc-hc/mpc-be. Then you'll have a plex player running madVR.
TSHA222 likes this.

Last edited by markmon1; 06-01-2020 at 07:56 AM.
post #17 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
My suggestion is the same as the one I provided above to someone else. Dump the windows 10 for $100 and download it free of microsoft's website then buy a $10-15 COA key off ebay and activate it. Keys are delivered immediately, and coa is mailed out separately. If you want to, you could apply that $100 to upgrading the video card a notch to a 2070 super.

You will still be able to use plex and madVR on the HTPC. Plex is provided to windows 10 through kodi now. You can install kodi from the windows 10 store for free then install plex from repository from within kodi. It will install version 0.20. If you poke around plex, you can have it load as automatically. Once this is done, loading kodi loads plex instantly. Don't bother adding anything to the kodi library it will just make plex take longer to load. For all intensive purposes, kodi will be turned into plex after this.

Now you can poke around google for how playercorefactory works and setup kodi to use an external player that supports madVR such as zoom player or mpc-hc/mpc-be. Then you'll have a plex player running madVR.
You know I saw that suggestion elsewhere about Windows 10. I had meant to check that out. Thanks for the reminder.

I love Plex for whole house but I prefer the playlist feature on JRiver for the theater. I like the ability to create a fully custom preshow, very easily, that is launchable from the Theater View 10-foot GUI. Plex only offers "play trailers before movie" which is not customizable. I know Kodi offers CinemaVision but I played around with Kodi and a demo of JRiver enough to know that I prefer JRiver personally. I'm glad there are tons of options though. Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.
post #18 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You know I saw that suggestion elsewhere about Windows 10. I had meant to check that out. Thanks for the reminder.

I love Plex for whole house but I prefer the playlist feature on JRiver for the theater. I like the ability to create a fully custom preshow, very easily, that is launchable from the Theater View 10-foot GUI. Plex only offers "play trailers before movie" which is not customizable. I know Kodi offers CinemaVision but I played around with Kodi and a demo of JRiver enough to know that I prefer JRiver personally. I'm glad there are tons of options though. Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.
Here is an example, windows 10 $5.68 instant delivery.
https://www.ebay.com/p/24030515022?iid=392817387478
TSHA222 likes this.

post #19 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Here is an example, windows 10 $5.68 instant delivery.
https://www.ebay.com/p/24030515022?iid=392817387478
Perfect! Thanks.

Chris
post #20 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Perfect! Thanks.

Chris
+1 on the Windows 10 key. There are numerous vendors that sell OEM keys for all kinds of software, but ebay is definitely a good source for cheap keys. I've bought quite a few keys for Windows 7 and Windows 10 as well as MS Office this way.
TSHA222 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page