MadVR causes some scenes to have these weird artifacts that look like black diamonds? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-10-2020, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
MadVR causes some scenes to have these weird artifacts that look like black diamonds?

As you can see in the picture, during some scenes there's these weird black diamond/triangle looking things that appear. This typically happens during darker scenes and is especially apparent when dark shots transition into lighter ones. It's happened with multiple files, and isn't there when I take a screenshot (picture taken with phone). I have isolated the issues to MadVR and/or MPC-HC as I only see this artifact when madvr is selected as the video renderer in MPC-HC settings. So I'm pretty sure its related to whatever madVR does or its interaction with MPC-HC. Has anyone else ever seen this?

I haven't tried using madvr with another player, but I'm open to suggestions. I can post my madvr settings if necessary, but I left most of it on default settings IIRC. For chroma/image upscaling I use super-xbr (sharpness 150), but I've tried a number of combinations with no success.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200605_014421.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	910.7 KB
ID:	2739878  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-10-2020, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 6829 Post(s)
Liked: 4951
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayf95 View Post
As you can see in the picture, during some scenes there's these weird black diamond/triangle looking things that appear. This typically happens during darker scenes and is especially apparent when dark shots transition into lighter ones. It's happened with multiple files, and isn't there when I take a screenshot (picture taken with phone). I have isolated the issues to MadVR and/or MPC-HC as I only see this artifact when madvr is selected as the video renderer in MPC-HC settings. So I'm pretty sure its related to whatever madVR does or its interaction with MPC-HC. Has anyone else ever seen this?

I haven't tried using madvr with another player, but I'm open to suggestions. I can post my madvr settings if necessary, but I left most of it on default settings IIRC. For chroma/image upscaling I use super-xbr (sharpness 150), but I've tried a number of combinations with no success.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?
Where in the image are these diamonds? I don't see them in your image.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-10-2020, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Think he's referring to the black intersecting lines on her face?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-10-2020, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also would be helpful to know the exact source of the file and see madVR's ctrl+j screen during playback.

post #5 of 14 Old 06-10-2020, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
Quote:
It's happened with multiple files, and isn't there when I take a screenshot (picture taken with phone). I have isolated the issues to MadVR and/or MPC-HC as I only see this artifact when madvr is selected as the video renderer in MPC-HC settings.
I get those same lines on my Panny Plasma. It's hard to explain but it looks sort of like a diamond grid floating a few inches inside the display panel. I can see it clearly when looking at the reflection of my white front door in the TV screen even when the TV is turned off.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-10-2020, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As the other guy mentioned, I'm referring to the criss-crossing black lines going over the face. I have attached another example of it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200610_204457.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	727.4 KB
ID:	2740168  
post #7 of 14 Old 06-10-2020, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixtheinternet View Post

Yes those are the ones. There is another example attached to this post.

Quote:
Also would be helpful to know the exact source of the file and see madVR's ctrl+j screen during playback.
Its a 4k HDR movie in a .mkv container. I imagine you'd like more details, whats the best way of finding more details on the file? I have attached two more pictures, one taken with my phone that give a better example of the artifact, and the other with a screenshot while in full screen exclusive mode in madvr/mpc that has the ctrl+j readout.

Interestingly, when I hit ctrl+j, the artifact disappears. The artifact is also absent in screenshots regardless of whether the ctrl+j info is active or not.

Also, I noticed that the artifact is only present when the picture mode on my TV (Vizio M series 2017 connected to gtx1070 on my pc via hdmi 2.1) is set to "computer". The artifact actually disappears entirely when the TV menu is open. I honestly don't mind just changing picture modes so I think I have a fix for my issue, but I'm interested in the underlying cause. It seems to be a mix of madvr and my tv.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200610_204457.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	727.4 KB
ID:	2740172   Click image for larger version

Name:	madvr.png
Views:	33
Size:	7.38 MB
ID:	2740174  
post #8 of 14 Old 06-10-2020, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I get those same lines on my Panny Plasma. It's hard to explain but it looks sort of like a diamond grid floating a few inches inside the display panel. I can see it clearly when looking at the reflection of my white front door in the TV screen even when the TV is turned off.
Thats interesting. I have a Vizio M series 4k HDR tv and after further experimentation I think its a problem with the TV and madvr. The artifact (see a better example of it in my previous comment) disappears when madvr isnt the selected renderer (in mpc settings) and also is absent when the TV menu is open. Also, the artifact is only present when the picture mode on my tv is set to "computer". So I can fix this issue by changing to a different picture mode which is fine by me. It may be worth trying for you to
post #9 of 14 Old 06-11-2020, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixtheinternet View Post
Sorry, I am looking at these photos on a 4K Samsung UN66HU8700 and I don't see any lines. I even opened the captures in a photo editor and zoomed in and for the life of me I don't see anything but film emulsion.

If those who are seeing this could report the display they are using to view the attachments, it could help define the problem.
Also please make sure you are using a lossless format (png)for your attachment, as jpg files are not suitable for comparison.

Last edited by Vern Dias; 06-11-2020 at 06:39 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-11-2020, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I can fix this issue by changing to a different picture mode which is fine by me. It may be worth trying for you to
I can still see it on my TV even when the TV is turned off so it's not the same problem. I don't think my lines are a even a problem, it's just how the panel is made. Maybe you are seeing a moire pattern?
post #11 of 14 Old 06-11-2020, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post
Sorry, I am looking at these photos on a 4K Samsung UN66HU8700 and I don't see any lines. I even opened the captures in a photo editor and zoomed in and for the life of me I don't see anything but film emulsion.

If those who are seeing this could report the display they are using to view the attachments, it could help define the problem.
Also please make sure you are using a lossless format (png)for your attachment, as jpg files are not suitable for comparison.
You might be looking too closely. You don't need to zoom in to see the lines. When looking at the little thumbnail of the attached image in the first post I can clearly see the lines on the girl's face. I don't have a big fancy monitor. It's a 10 year old 20" Dell IN2020M 1600X900 LED monitor.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-11-2020, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thats interesting. I have a Vizio M series 4k HDR tv and after further experimentation I think its a problem with the TV and madvr. The artifact (see a better example of it in my previous comment) disappears when madvr isnt the selected renderer (in mpc settings) and also is absent when the TV menu is open. Also, the artifact is only present when the picture mode on my tv is set to "computer". So I can fix this issue by changing to a different picture mode which is fine by me. It may be worth trying for you to
Hmm does the "computer" setting perhaps do some sort of orbital anti-burn in algorithm? It almost looks like a weird scaling bug on the display to me. Someone else mentioned they see it on a plasma display. I know a lot of those plasmas have a setting to do the same thing.

post #13 of 14 Old 06-11-2020, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm looking at these images on my phone and can clearly see what he's talking about. There are faded diamond shaped patterns radiating from the center that encompass the whole screen.

post #14 of 14 Old 06-11-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
You might be looking too closely. You don't need to zoom in to see the lines. When looking at the little thumbnail of the attached image in the first post I can clearly see the lines on the girl's face. I don't have a big fancy monitor. It's a 10 year old 20" Dell IN2020M 1600X900 LED monitor.
OK, those are certainly not my definition of a "line" but I see the issue. Thanks for pointing it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page