Setting up 15.6" OLED Laptop for HDR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 06-12-2020, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Setting up 15.6" OLED Laptop for HDR

I also posted this topic in the HDR forum because it can apply to portable A/V and HDR. So moderators, if you have a preference and you only want it in one place, keep it whereever you think it would be best. I rip 4K/UHD Blu-rays with MakeMKV and play them back via VLC Media Player. I've been using Windows 10's built-in HDR feature since I got my OLED laptop in July of 2019, updating Windows 10, MakeMKV, and VLC Media Player as new updates are released. Here's what I notice. When I have Windows 10's HDR feature turned off and whether playing a 1080p or 4K/UHD Blu-ray title, I get the color and contrast benefits from OLED. When I turn Windows 10's HDR feature on and play a 4K/UHD Blu-ray title recorded with HDR, I notice a positive difference in the contrast, but the colors seem less saturated than when I turn HDR off. Is this the correct result? If not, how can I fix any issues? Update: Here's a solution I found for those of you who are also struggling with this. In VLC, go to Tools>Preferences>All>Video>Output Modules. Change the "Output Module" from "Automatic" to "OpenGL."

Last edited by Chris Kelly; 06-14-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page