Best Front End for MadVR users? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By mlknez
  • 1 Post By Vern Dias
  • 2 Post By Vern Dias

post #1 of 28 Old 06-13-2020, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Best Front End for MadVR users?

Hi all,

Long time kodi user. Considering building an HTPC to use MadVR (primarily for it’s dynamic tone mapping). Ideally I’d like to avoid using an external player, and retain 3D playback.

Reading through the guide, it seems like on paper MediaPortal1 would allow me to have a library experience similar to kodi, but use MadVR for rendering without having to switch to an external player. Could I then use something like Mpc-HC just for 3d?

Thoughts on MediaPortal1 vs other options? Haven’t played in this sandbox in a while, so I’d appreciate any guidance you guys have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-13-2020, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I like J River myself.
TSHA222 likes this.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #3 of 28 Old 06-13-2020, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
I like J River myself.
I second that.

Make sure you choose Red October HQ video mode to enable MadVR.
Other possible choices are MPC or Zoom player.
But JRiver does all the integration of the required components for you, and also installs a very well integrated media server function.
TSHA222 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 06-13-2020, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I like J River myself.
What do you like about it vs other players? $80 seems a bit steep when there’s so much free stuff available. Is there a way to play off of SMB shares? I’d prefer not or have to redo my NAS setup if possible.
post #5 of 28 Old 06-13-2020, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

J River can do just about anything. It is one of the best for music as well as movies. It is very flexible and configurable. You can use just about any connectivity including smb shares. I use smb shares for all of my movies, video, music and pictures. J River is THE true media player for Windows. My HTPC only has an M.2 for booting and app storage. All of my media is on network attached storage devices.

Is $80 expensive in the grand scheme of what you are trying to accomplish?

Currently, the only thing that it can't do is play Dolbyvision metadata. No software player can.... yet. That should change in the next few weeks.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
post #6 of 28 Old 06-13-2020, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 430
I use MPC-BE with madvr and lav filters. It works pretty well, but takes some time to set up.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn - BOSS
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #7 of 28 Old 06-13-2020, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
J River can do just about anything. It is one of the best for music as well as movies. It is very flexible and configurable. You can use just about any connectivity including smb shares. I use smb shares for all of my movies, video, music and pictures. J River is THE true media player for Windows. My HTPC only has an M.2 for booting and app storage. All of my media is on network attached storage devices.

Is $80 expensive in the grand scheme of what you are trying to accomplish?

Currently, the only thing that it can't do is play Dolbyvision metadata. No software player can.... yet. That should change in the next few weeks.
I appreciate the explanation. Happy to pay $80 if it’s the ideal solution vs other options, but my needs are pretty basic (basically just mad-vr compatibility for playing back video on my NAS). On paper it seems like MediaPortal could do that as well, but it seems like no one uses it, so I’m trying to get some feedback from actual users.

How much flexibility is there in the library display/OSD? I’m really just looking for a pretty “wall” style view, and the ability for a simple OSD with time code/time remaining.
post #8 of 28 Old 06-13-2020, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmgeek47 View Post
I appreciate the explanation. Happy to pay $80 if it’s the ideal solution vs other options, but my needs are pretty basic (basically just mad-vr compatibility for playing back video on my NAS). On paper it seems like MediaPortal could do that as well, but it seems like no one uses it, so I’m trying to get some feedback from actual users.

How much flexibility is there in the library display/OSD? I’m really just looking for a pretty “wall” style view, and the ability for a simple OSD with time code/time remaining.
You can get that on J River. It is free to try.

post #9 of 28 Old 06-13-2020, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 379
I tried JRiver. It didn't seem to handle iso's very well. I raised the specific question in its thread but never received an answer. I have to conclude it doesn't handle iso's very well. I remain using Kodi with internal and external players problem free. I'm curious why you're migrating away from that? I see your only complaint was "having to switch to an external player" but then you say you're ok with that for 3D. Since this is a seamless hands-free automated "switch", what's the problem? Fwiw, I don't think MediaPortal 1 handles iso's either and 3D is limited to SBS or TAB only but you'd have to confirm that. Personally, I think you're abandoning the best possible setup.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3,5&6 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
Samsung 82" Q90R / Denon S720W
post #10 of 28 Old 06-13-2020, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
I tried JRiver. It didn't seem to handle iso's very well. I raised the specific question in its thread but never received an answer. I have to conclude it doesn't handle iso's very well. I remain using Kodi with internal and external players problem free. I'm curious why you're migrating away from that? I see your only complaint was "having to switch to an external player" but then you say you're ok with that for 3D. Since this is a seamless hands-free automated "switch", what's the problem? Fwiw, I don't think MediaPortal 1 handles iso's either and 3D is limited to SBS or TAB only but you'd have to confirm that. Personally, I think you're abandoning the best possible setup.
I exclusively use MKV so that’s a non issue for me. My past experience with external players and kodi was unfortunately not seamless; after several months of occasional glitches, black screens, failed window switching I moved to a Vero, which I mostly love (but no dynamic HDR tone mapping). Haven’t ruled out kodi and external players but I’m loathe to mess with it after my prior experience.

Perhaps I’m misinformed, but I thought MediaPortal supported external players (which I’d only use for the occasional 3D movie).
post #11 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Another vote for JRiver and MakeMKV. I used iso's for playback ages ago and had nothing but problems. Once I tried MakeMKV I converted my entire library to MKV format and never looked back. Using iso files may retain everything on the original disc, but playback can be problematic at times depending on the player used. MKV files play in just about any player. I only watch the main movie anyway. Extras are nice, but how often will you actually watch them? You can convert all video clips on a disc to MKV files and keep everything in a single folder that can be accessed from JRiver or Kodi or whatever player you like.
post #12 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I used iso's for playback ages ago and had nothing but problems.
No problems using JRiver Media Center 26 with ISO's created by DVDFab here. I have used 4K, 3D, & Blu ray ISO's with no issues.
I just mount them with Virtual Clone Drive.

You don't need the master license if you are only going to run it on Windows.
Purchase Windows only for $59.98 (Works only for Windows)
post #13 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 6770 Post(s)
Liked: 4876
Quote:
Hi all,

Long time kodi user. Considering building an HTPC to use MadVR (primarily for it’s dynamic tone mapping). Ideally I’d like to avoid using an external player, and retain 3D playback.

Reading through the guide, it seems like on paper MediaPortal1 would allow me to have a library experience similar to kodi, but use MadVR for rendering without having to switch to an external player. Could I then use something like Mpc-HC just for 3d?

Thoughts on MediaPortal1 vs other options? Haven’t played in this sandbox in a while, so I’d appreciate any guidance you guys have.
Why are you against using an external player with kodi? Once set up, it integrates seamlessly into Kodi. I have Kodi set to launch zoom player for me, but for my friend we set up mpc-hc.

I really dont get why anyone would buy jriver when things like plex or kodi are both free and Kodi is extremely customizable. Even emby is free and supports playback via external player.

For myself, I use a customized version of plex for kodi which I customize and update myself.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #14 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Why are you against using an external player with kodi? Once set up, it integrates seamlessly into Kodi. I have Kodi set to launch zoom player for me, but for my friend we set up mpc-hc.

I really dont get why anyone would buy jriver when things like plex or kodi are both free and Kodi is extremely customizable. Even emby is free and supports playback via external player.

For myself, I use a customized version of plex for kodi which I customize and update myself.
I’m happy to give it a go, but I had issues in the past. As I recall one problem I had was using brazen’s bat. Files and core factory which were intended For .isos, and I struggled to get things working for MKV.

If I can get seemless switching with external players that would be fine. Some guidance on how to do that would be great.
post #15 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 813
OP if you are a Kodi user why not use one of the v17 builds that still uses DSplayer?

I know it's not ideal to use an older version, but for just local media playback it should be good, there has been some recent development on a v17 build specifically focused on the use of DSplayer.

I assume you are familiar but DSplayer is basically a different internal player for Kodi that allows the use of madvr. So no fuss with external players.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X3500h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Ascend HTM 200 SE -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #16 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias View Post
No problems using JRiver Media Center 26 with ISO's created by DVDFab here. I have used 4K, 3D, & Blu ray ISO's with no issues.
I just mount them with Virtual Clone Drive.

So you just navigate the JRiver library and press play (enter) on a title and it automatically initiates VCD, mounts the iso, and renders it and when finished the iso is automatically dismounted and you are returned to the JRiver library in focus ready for the next title? I didn't have that success using JRiver but I do many others such as Kodi with MPC-HC/BE, PowerDVD, DVDFab Media Player, PotPlayer, etc. I prefer just pressing play and have everything required automatically happen behind the scenes. I don't want to fumble making it happen or see it happen.

On a side note, the absolute starting point for exceptional playback of audio and video is the source. There is no arguing that. Converting to mkv, mp4, avi, etc. and butchering perfectly precise 1:1 rips - me, myself, personally, I prefer untouched, unaltered original sources. I like interacting with the Blu-ray as well as watching the title. This means I use a front end and player(s) that can actually use perfect sources as intended and as produced mimicking a hardware standalone Blu-ray player exactly.

Altering a source in order to be useable in front ends and players that are otherwise too primitive and dumb to handle them seems counterproductive when seeking "the best front end" as the OP asked. Excusing perfection by endlessly sheep quoting "No one actually desires using blu-rays as they are designed because we really enjoy the extra software, learning curve, time, etc. required to convert them to less than what they were. Removing all of the functionality provides a much better user experience, not to mention it saves a couple gigabytes of HDD space in this day and age of terabyte storage".

I dunno? I guess it's user preference - Use a perfect source with a perfect player and a perfect front end or... maim the perfect source and beat it into submission until it agrees to conform with imperfect front ends and players. After all that makes it "universal". LoL!

W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3,5&6 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
post #17 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m happy to give it a go, but I had issues in the past. As I recall one problem I had was using brazen’s bat. Files and core factory which were intended For .isos, and I struggled to get things working for MKV.

If I can get seemless switching with external players that would be fine. Some guidance on how to do that would be great.
A .bat isn't necessary for mkv's. Enter your player(s) and your rule(s) into the playercorefactory.xml and you're done. Any version of Kodi. I use official 18.7 fwiw.

post #18 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you just navigate the JRiver library and press play (enter) on a title and it automatically initiates VCD, mounts the iso, and renders it and when finished the iso is automatically dismounted and you are returned to the JRiver library in focus ready for the next title?
Yep, it sure does (after you tell it to do so), with the exception of the automatic dismount. That's not a problem as VCD uses the same file letter assignment for each mount.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/ISO_Files.
post #19 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So you just navigate the JRiver library and press play (enter) on a title and it automatically initiates VCD, mounts the iso, and renders it and when finished the iso is automatically dismounted and you are returned to the JRiver library in focus ready for the next title? I didn't have that success using JRiver but I do many others such as Kodi with MPC-HC/BE, PowerDVD, DVDFab Media Player, PotPlayer, etc. I prefer just pressing play and have everything required automatically happen behind the scenes. I don't want to fumble making it happen or see it happen.

On a side note, the absolute starting point for exceptional playback of audio and video is the source. There is no arguing that. Converting to mkv, mp4, avi, etc. and butchering perfectly precise 1:1 rips - me, myself, personally, I prefer untouched, unaltered original sources. I like interacting with the Blu-ray as well as watching the title. This means I use a front end and player(s) that can actually use perfect sources as intended and as produced mimicking a hardware standalone Blu-ray player exactly.

Altering a source in order to be useable in front ends and players that are otherwise too primitive and dumb to handle them seems counterproductive when seeking "the best front end" as the OP asked. Excusing perfection by endlessly sheep quoting "No one actually desires using blu-rays as they are designed because we really enjoy the extra software, learning curve, time, etc. required to convert them to less than what they were. Removing all of the functionality provides a much better user experience, not to mention it saves a couple gigabytes of HDD space in this day and age of terabyte storage".

I dunno? I guess it's user preference - Use a perfect source with a perfect player and a perfect front end or... maim the perfect source and beat it into submission until it agrees to conform with imperfect front ends and players. After all that makes it "universal". LoL!
My understanding is that MKV is simply a container, and no re-transcoding is done, so there should be zero quality difference between a full ISO rip vs an MKV rip. I certainly haven’t been able to see one.
post #20 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Good to know. Thanks.
post #21 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Playing .iso DVD and Blu-Ray rips with JRiver Media Center

1. Go to Tools > Options > File types. Under "Data", click on "Disk Image Files" and at the bottom of the window, select your preferred Playback Method from the drop down list. Automatic can be used on the server and will mount the .iso into VCD (Virtual Clone Drive). If you use a different virtual drive, choose "Custom" and enter your program details. External Program (Custom) should be used on a client. Browse to the folder where your virtual drive .exe file is and select that file. For VCD, this will be Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe.
2. Go to Tools > CD, DVD & BD and, under "Auto-Play" for the relevant disc types, select Play.
3. .iso files are currently treated as Data. Your library import needs to include these file types.
4. Go to Tools > Options > Library & Folders. Under "Auto-Import, Configure auto-import, select the folder or folders where your .iso files are stored, click on Edit and ensure that the Data box is checked.
5. Go to File > Library > Import and click on the Radar Button for "Run Auto-Import Now". This may take a while to complete.
6. In the left pane of the main window, click on Documents then Files. Your .iso files should show in the right pane. You may need to hover your pointer over the down arrow on the "Files" tab at the top and choose "List Style" then "Details". Right click on the title bar for the columns above the files and check Media Type and Media Sub-Type in the drop down list. This will cause these columns/Fields to show.
7. For your existing .iso files, Media Type will show as Data. Right click on Data and select Rename. Select Video from the drop down list. Right click on the blank entry in the Media Sub-Type column and select Rename and select Movie.
8. For new imports, Use 'tag on import' (in auto import) and set Media Type = If(IsEqual([File Type],iso,8),Video,[Media Type])
This will change media type of iso's to Video(when importing) and do nothing to other filetypes.
9. You may need to rename the file to the actual name of the movie.
10. In the left pane, select Video then Files. Scroll to find your file.
11. Right click on the file and select "Get Movie & TV Info" and select one of the data sources. This will populate many of the fields and insert Cover Art.
12. In order to get these movies to play smoothly, it is necessary to use madVR to change the frame rate. In madVR settings, under "devices" > "your display" > "display modes" enter the display modes required for the movie types you have, e.g. 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p60, 1080p59.
13. You are now done. Double click the file and it should play. It will take a few seconds for the image to be mounted and for play to start.

Wow. I have questions:
Is this what you mean by "after you tell it to do so"?
Does this have to be done every time you want to add and play a new title or directory where titles are stored?
In the event this is set and forget (it doesn't read that way), then I guess that's what's required. I've never seen anything that involved to mount an iso and play it before nor to scrape metadata.

Even though VCD retains an assigned drive letter, the iso always stays mounted even though it's not in use... correct? The only way it auto dismounts is if you manually do it or another iso is mounted to take its place and that too will remain mounted when not in use correct? Unmounting is important because if it isn't it is 'still in use'. When still in use, nothing allows it usable anywhere else. For example, you can't move it. You can't delete it. You can't rename it. You can't modify it. You can't do anything with it until it's dismounted not to mention it looks kinda' weird when using the Windows desktop and not even using a front end.

Last edited by brazen1; 06-14-2020 at 12:02 PM.
post #22 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Even though VCD retains an assigned drive letter, the iso always stays mounted even though it's not in use... correct? The only way it auto dismounts is if you manually do it or another iso is mounted to take its place and that too will remain mounted when not in use correct? Unmounting is important because if it isn't it is 'still in use'. When still in use, nothing allows it usable anywhere else. For example, you can't move it. You can't delete it. You can't rename it. You can't modify it. You can't do anything with it until it's dismounted not to mention it looks kinda' weird when using the Windows desktop and not even using a front end.
If you need to work with the file: right click on the file, click on unmount. Not terribly difficult....

Since I have over 3000 physical DVD HD, 3D, and UHD media titles and a SQL database outside of JRiver to track their location, when I play something from the server disk array I usually just mount the ISO manually. Right click on the ISO, click mount. Choose file - quick play and open the drive the ISO is mounted on. Way quicker for me and no worse than choosing the physical disk from a binder and inserting it into the blu ray drive on the PC.

The JRiver server physical database contains all my digitized LP's, CD's 4 Track tapes, still photos (both digital & film), S8 & 16mm captures, and other video files.

Quote:
Does this have to be done every time you want to add and play a new title or directory where titles are stored?
Steps 5 through 11 if you are adding new ISO.s to your library. Processing MKV's is more automated.
post #23 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:

You have a misunderstanding of makemkv. It produces a lossless copy of the film, audio and video untouched. It just puts the movie in a container that works much better on basically all platforms.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X3500h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Ascend HTM 200 SE -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #24 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see you're showing me how simple iso's are to use with JRiver - just do 13 manual steps prior to playing and sometimes only steps 5-11. Some weird things like no auto dismount are easily overcome by doing it manually. Personally I will stick with the Kodi front end using external players. There are no steps. Nothing manual. New titles are added automatically. You don't have to do anything. It's added automatically to the library complete with artwork and metadata. When it's time to play it, there are no steps. Just press play. When you're done watching your external player, it closes automatically and returns to Kodi in focus ready for its next interaction. This includes madVr and any other components used. There are no steps for anything other than setting it all up initially once as is true for anything software and hardware related. This includes all file extensions and formats 2D and 3D.

Furthermore, I'm well aware mkv's are a container just as an iso is. The difference being, iso containers are able to contain the file structure from the original Blu-ray disc and all the files in all the folders. This means a proper software player handles all these files, folders and structure just as if you are playing the physical disc from a dedicated hardware player identically including all the menus. It is a perfect backup of a physical disc minus actually burning it to another physical disc. When choosing an mkv container, this file structure, the folders and most of the individual files are ignored and not used. Instead only the meat and potatoes file is used which usually amounts to no more than one m2ts file. There are many m2ts files though as there are playlists. None of that will be retained. Only what is selected. Should you ever want to select something different, oh well. Should you ever desire to see any of the extras, oh well. Should you like to choose theatrical vs directors cut, oh well. The 2D vs 3D version, oh well. Should you ever lose the original disc, oh well. Sure you could convert all the different aspects to many separate mkv's but then... what's the point especially without a menu?

We prefer to use the digital file vs the physical disc because (a) it eliminates the need for another useless device - the hardware player and that's why manufactures aren't producing them anymore, (b) files are much easier to work with when storing multiple title data points on HDD's rather that individual discs taking up room on shelves, (c) navigating large collections via a remote control from the couch with a 10 foot interface displaying every meta possible quickly is much less cumbersome than walking the isles of dozens, hundreds, thousands of DVD spine info only, (d) many of us park our original discs off-sight and use perfect backups of those discs on-sight preventing any loss on the investments, and (e) digital file format opens the door for 3rd party software such as madVr to enhance and interact with our systems although the madVr aspect will change to hardware inclusion using 'the envy' in the future. Still beautiful highly customizable informative software such as Kodi remains a main stay for digital file cataloging and playback.

Mkv's are very popular, no doubt about it. They are very universal and provided you know what you are doing when creating them, quality isn't a question. Integrity is though.

post #25 of 28 Old 06-14-2020, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Media servers sometimes don't scale very well, at least in my environment:

2200 BD X 35 GB = ~ 77 TB
2000 DVD X 6.5 GB = ~ 13 TB

Media HDD space = ~ 90 TB

Backup / Raid HDD space = ~ 90 TB ( HDD's do fail)

Total HDD space =~180 TB

18 10TB HDD typical Cost $ 4,500.00

+ Person Hours to load media to HDD = lots and lots
+ HW cost for server / RAID enclosure
+ utilities (operating) cost

vs

16 Fellows Binders to store media ~= $500.00 (Linear shelf space ~ 8 ft.

While I do use JRiver as a media server for certain media (for example all my old HD-DVD's that I converted to BD), I also use MPC, Zoom Player, and VLC in addition. Except for VLC, all my players including JRiver use LAV Filters and MadVR.

So, in the end, it's a very personal choice for all of us.
post #26 of 28 Old 06-15-2020, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

While JRiver may be able to play isos, other apps may not have that capability. MKV files are more universally playable and don't require any special setting for playback. You just select the movie and click on it to begin playback. I have all of my movies stored on an unRAID server that is shared with other HTPCs connected to TVs in my house. I only use JRMC on a dedicated HTPC in my home theater. I still run Windows 7 and WMC on the other HTPCs. I also have Nvidia Shields for streaming and they have Plex installed. I have Plex server installed as a docker on my unRAID server which allows me to stream movies and videos to the Shields at the other TVs. Aside from the ability to play MKV files on just about any platform, they're just easier to use. I had a multitude of problems using isos for playback when I first started usibng my HTPCs and it was extremely frustrating. I experimented using MKVs and never had a single problem so I converted all of my discs to MKV format. I get perfect 1:1 rips of the audio and video and only rip the tracks that I want.

Quote:
Backup / Raid HDD space = ~ 90 TB ( HDD's do fail)

Total HDD space =~180 TB
Yes, hard drives do fail. That's why I use a dual parity setup in my 163 TB unRAID server. No need for 1:1 backups. It's a waste of money and hard drives. I can have up to two simultaneous hard drive failures and unRAID will rebuild the data simply by installing replacement drives for the ones that failed. Since you have the original data on optical discs you are creating a redundancy of a redundancy by having a complete setup of backup drives plus the original data on optical discs. In your setup, you can only have 90 TB of storage. In my setup, I currently have over 110 TB being used with over 50 TB still available for more data, plus I can upgrade any of the drives with larger ones for even more storage. I'm sure that's true of your setup too, but you'd have to replace two drives at a time to increase your storage capacity. I tend to keep several 8 TB drives available as backups in the event a drive does fail as many of them are getting old and will eventually need to be replaced.

Last edited by captain_video; 06-15-2020 at 04:45 AM.
post #27 of 28 Old 06-15-2020, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

captain_video, I agree with everything you have said. There are many ways different ways to do HT media serving. Everybody has differing requirements.

I use MKV's for some purposes as well. It depends on what I am looking to achieve for the given task.

As a former (retired) IT professional, I have built, maintained, and used RAID in the past, in the form of the ZFS file system on Solaris 10.
At home, I use RAID 0 on a HighPoint Rocket 640L Lite Version 4-Port PCI-Express 2.0 x4 SATA 6Gb/s RAID Controller for real time video capture.
If I were to build a media server of your scale, I would most likely go Linux / ZFS.

I use Windows 8.1 almost exclusively because stability is paramount.
I wouldn't touch Windows 10 for any media server or HTPC, unless there was no other option.

I do have a couple of laptops in the house with Windows 10 and my wife's desktop has it installed. It's a constant battle to keep them stable, what with the buggy updates, and Windows thinking it owns exclusive rights to modify device drivers unless told otherwise.

I currently have 3 HTPC's in my HT. One optimized for Blu ray, one optimized for 3D, and one optimized for UHD. They all feed a JVC DLS-RS57 projecting on a 12' 2.76:1 screen with an Isco 1.5X anamorphic lens. A Denon AVR4500h handles the audio and video switching. I do all of my serious viewing in my HT, with very little video streaming to other Displays in the house.
Unfortunately, for full ycbcr422 10 bit support, I may eventually have to go to windows 10 for my UHD optimized HTPC. But you can bet updates will be deferred to the max (or totally disabled).

It's amazing how a hobby can turn into a full time occupation,
TSHA222 and filmgeek47 like this.
post #28 of 28 Old 06-15-2020, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
captain_video, I agree with everything you have said. There are many ways different ways to do HT media serving. Everybody has differing requirements.

I use MKV's for some purposes as well. It depends on what I am looking to achieve for the given task.

As a former (retired) IT professional, I have built, maintained, and used RAID in the past, in the form of the ZFS file system on Solaris 10.
At home, I use RAID 0 on a HighPoint Rocket 640L Lite Version 4-Port PCI-Express 2.0 x4 SATA 6Gb/s RAID Controller for real time video capture.
If I were to build a media server of your scale, I would most likely go Linux / ZFS.

I use Windows 8.1 almost exclusively because stability is paramount.
I wouldn't touch Windows 10 for any media server or HTPC, unless there was no other option.

I do have a couple of laptops in the house with Windows 10 and my wife's desktop has it installed. It's a constant battle to keep them stable, what with the buggy updates, and Windows thinking it owns exclusive rights to modify device drivers unless told otherwise.

I currently have 3 HTPC's in my HT. One optimized for Blu ray, one optimized for 3D, and one optimized for UHD. They all feed a JVC DLS-RS57 projecting on a 12' 2.76:1 screen with an Isco 1.5X anamorphic lens. A Denon AVR4500h handles the audio and video switching. I do all of my serious viewing in my HT, with very little video streaming to other Displays in the house.
Unfortunately, for full ycbcr422 10 bit support, I may eventually have to go to windows 10 for my UHD optimized HTPC. But you can bet updates will be deferred to the max (or totally disabled).

It's amazing how a hobby can turn into a full time occupation,
You and I have differing opinions about Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 10, but that's all they are, just opinions. I wouldn't use Windows 8.1 for any purpose. I had conflicts trying to use JRiver Media Center on the same HTPC as WMC so I went with a Windows 10 platform so I could run it exclusively and it's quite stable. I was having issues with the blue screen for a while, but I rolled back the last update and that seemed to fix the problem and so far it has not reoccurred with any subsequent updates. I know a lot of people have had issues with Windows 10 so I sympathize with your situation. I did eventually upgrade all of my desktop PCs to Windows 10 and so far so good.

JRMC works great for HD and UHD. I never got bit by the 3D bug. I avoid 3D movies in the theater at all costs because they detract from the movie and simply don't look as good. I have seen 3D on a HDTV and was somewhat more impressed, but the idea of having to wear special goggles or be tethered to a TV was a non-starter for me.

I have two HTPCs and a Shield in my 4k home theater, one HTPC and a Shield on my family room 4k TV, and a HTPC on my bedroom TV. The bedroom and family room HTPCs are both Intel NUCs. I have a 3rd NUC connected to a small TV mounted in front of our treadmill. The NUCs get live TV fed from a HDHR Prime tuner on FIOS and all run Windows 7. The primary Windows 7 HTPC uses a Ceton InfiniTV 6 and a HDHR Quatro for FIOS and OTA. The Windows 10 HTPC also uses a separate Quatro but shares the HDHR Prime and contains the DVR engine for Channels DVR. I use my Shields to access and control recordings made with Channels DVR. I use WMC on the Win 7 HTPC for recording copy protected channels on FIOS.

My server uses unRAID, which I believe is based on FreeBSD. The file system used is XFS. It consists of three 8-port SATA controllers, one dual port SATA controller, and six onboard SATA ports to handle 28 data drives, 2 parity drives, and a SSD cache drive. I have a 24-bay Supermicro rack and an 8-bay Supermicro rack ganged together to hold everything. The spare drive bay is used to perform a pre-clear on any new drives so I can prepare them for use in the array. It makes it easier to replace a failed drive as I do not have to perform the pre-clear when the drive is replaced. Just plug it in and assign the new drive to the old slot and allow it to rebuild the data automatically.

I'm not an IT professional, but I've been dabbling in PCs and building my own for about three and a half decades. My family and friends all see me as their IT guy so I'm always working on someone's PC. I've got numerous laptops and netbooks around my house but rarely use them except when I used to travel on business. I'm retired now so they mostly gather dust. I have always preferred a full-sized keyboard and mouse to a dinky laptop setup. I hate touchpads and pointing devices and always carried a separate USB wireless mouse with the laptop.

My audio system consists of a Marantz AV7702 Mk II preamp/processor and Definitive Technology Mythos speakers (Mythos 1 fronts, Mythos 2 for rear and side surounds, and a Mythos 3 for the center) in 7.1 surround with an DT Supercube Reference Sub with an internal 1800-watt amplifier. Amplifiers are all Kenwood L-07M monoblocks @ 150 wpc at 8 ohms rms. The HDTV is a Samsung UN65KS9000F. I've been thinking of switching to a projector but I have too many other things on my plate right now and my viewing area is not really optimized for it. A 65" screen suits my needs just fine for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page