XP Pro 2002 service pack 3 installation issue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-14-2020, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 40
XP Pro 2002 service pack 3 installation issue

Before you all choke that I would dare to mention XP, let me give you some background. I had XP installed on a dyi computer running dual-boot with Win7 for several years with no problems. I have a Audio Precision Dual Domain System One, in perfect operating condition, but runs only with a host XP computer. Buying a current AP model is not financially feasible.

I also have an application I don't want to give up that includes embedded Access 97 Databases. The application will run on Win7 32bit but its databases have never been upgraded for newer versions of Windows Access. Its never will be since the application's developer/manufacturer went out of business years ago.

I want to modify the databases but can only do that with Access 97 which is not compatible with newer versions. To get Access 97, I need to install a complete Office 97 Pro, which I already downloaded. To install that I must reinstall XP Pro service pack 3 and this where my troubles begin. Windows will not allow an older version OS to be installed if a newer version is already present, even if a new partition is created. So, I backed up all my documents and install files to a different hard drive and re-formatted the former C drive's partition. I now have a total brick. It should be a straight forward clean install of Windows XP, in its own formatted partition, followed by a clean install of Win7 in its own partition to get everything up and running again.

Using a Microsoft factory cd of XP Pro 2002 Service Pack 3, I begin the installation. Everything is going OK loading files. When completed, I get a message saying my computer will be restarted to finish configuration and to leave the install disc in place. The computer restarts, the XP startup logo screen appears, then it happens...I get a Fatal Error message saying some sort of ASMS file is needed, "GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROMON\I386" and wants to know where to look for it. Windows implies I should have a floppy disc containing this file. This file is nowhere to be found on the install cd.

I Google this missing file and find others have encountered the same problem. Some site KBxxxxxxx remedies. But since XP is no longer supported, links to these KBs are all rerouted to Microsoft 365. Does anyone here have any knowledge of this file, how to work around it, or access some sort of Windows archival site where all their legacy stuff is kept?

Thanks for any help.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-14-2020, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That error sounds vaguely familiar, maybe the MBR got hosed when you reformatted the partition, in which case try running recovery/repair from installer. But first check the boot order in bios, the installer might expect to boot from C after restart and CD may have boot priority.

Regarding Access 97, have you tried using the free runtime: https://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftacce...time/index.htm
I don't know about much about Access dbs but supposedly the runtime lets you "view, add, edit, and delete the data in your database" but I don't know if it includes a client UI. If not maybe you could get MS SSMS to connect.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-15-2020, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
That error sounds vaguely familiar, maybe the MBR got hosed when you reformatted the partition, in which case try running recovery/repair from installer. But first check the boot order in bios, the installer might expect to boot from C after restart and CD may have boot priority.

Regarding Access 97, have you tried using the free runtime: https://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftacce...time/index.htm
I don't know about much about Access dbs but supposedly the runtime lets you "view, add, edit, and delete the data in your database" but I don't know if it includes a client UI. If not maybe you could get MS SSMS to connect.
Starsky--I found a YouTube video that gave some guidance on how to deal with the problem fatal error message.

1. Since my XP Pro installation is not yet complete there is no C: drive so, by trial and error I start by entering D:\I386 and nothing happens. I enter E:\I386 and nothing happens. I keep repeating this process until I reach H:\I386 where something finally does happen.

2. Now the message Windows needs another file.

3. I enter H:\I386 again and the same message appears saying a different file is needed. I enter H:\I386 again, and again, the message say still another file is needed.

4. After repeating this process many times the installation procedure resumes.

5. Several minutes later the computer reboots and displays the XP welcome screen. I keep following instructions up to, and including, entering my license code. After which the computer reboots again. I think I am home free. Know such luck.

6. Now it wants my user name but gives no place to enter one. It also wants my Administrator password but I do not have one.

7. I am still screwed! Anyone have any ideas? Microsoft is such a P.O.S.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page