Losing SPDIF sound in Zoom Player every time I pause - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 12-10-2004, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hi all,

I am experiencing a very strange problem with Zoom Player, where every time I pause video, fast forward etc. I lose sound on my SPDIF output. This seems to be happening regardless of whether I am playing DVDs or other media on my machine. I have had this happen when using AC3Filter (as sound codec) for an XviD file on my machine, as well as when playing a DVD using WinDVD as the audio decoder.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-10-2004, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do you have a Harmon Kardon AVR-630?
These receivers are known to have audio dropouts thru the digital inputs when sources are changed or paused.

peace
post #3 of 28 Old 12-10-2004, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 26
There seem to be a lot of us with the same problem.

What sound card are you using? I am using the Soundmax integrated crap on my P4P800, which is possibly the culprit. However, it didn't appear until I installed WinXP SP2.

The only solutions I have discovered is go to the filter properties for AC3filter and select another output and then switch back to SPDIF. The AC3 will come back, but this is obviously a huge PITA.

The other is by using VLC player, which is the only player I have found that doesn't lose the stream.

I plan on getting a real sound card here pretty soon, so hopefully this problem goes away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 12-10-2004, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SIMJEDI
Do you have a Harmon Kardon AVR-630?
These receivers are known to have audio dropouts thru the digital inputs when sources are changed or paused.
No, my receiver is NAD. And I never have this problem when pausing other sources like my DVD player, or my DISH Network DVR.
post #5 of 28 Old 12-10-2004, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jdwk
What sound card are you using? I am using the Soundmax integrated crap on my P4P800, which is possibly the culprit. However, it didn't appear until I installed WinXP SP2.
Ditto :-) Integrated SoundMax on Intel PERL board and running WinXP SP2 from day 1 (my HTPC was built after SP2 came out).

Quote:
The only solutions I have discovered is go to the filter properties for AC3filter and select another output and then switch back to SPDIF. The AC3 will come back, but this is obviously a huge PITA.
I can also fix it by stopping the video and playing it again.

Quote:
I plan on getting a real sound card here pretty soon, so hopefully this problem goes away.
Crap. Time to go shopping again I guess...
post #6 of 28 Old 12-10-2004, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 64
jdwk and salavs;

Do you guys run recent drivers for the SoundMax chip?

Reason I ask is that this fixed the sound/ S/PDIF issue had with my ASUS P4C800E-Dlx which also has a SoundMax. Unfortunately, I have found that the drivers on ASUS's website are occasionally rather outdated. I ended up using a driver from a different ASUS board, but which has the same sound chip.

Quote:
Originally posted by salavs
Crap. Time to go shopping again I guess...
I have a M-Audio Delta 410 for sale. PM me if you are interested.

_____
Axel

post #7 of 28 Old 12-10-2004, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Axel
Do you guys run recent drivers for the SoundMax chip?
Don't know. My drivers came from Intel (bundled with the mboard). Will have to look around when I get home.
post #8 of 28 Old 12-10-2004, 06:00 PM

I installed the latest soundmax drivers I could find, and it didn't fix the problem. Can't remember what the version was exactly, but I didn't limit myself to my exact mobo, so I am pretty sure I got the latest.
post #9 of 28 Old 12-10-2004, 06:03 PM

V.5.12.01.3630 was version
Date 2003/06/30

Did you find a later one than that?
post #10 of 28 Old 12-10-2004, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
V.5.12.01.3630 was version
Date 2003/06/30

Did you find a later one than that?
That's pretty old and prior to the SP2 release.

What sound chip is on your mobo?

I have an AD1985 and been using V5.12.5150 dated 2004/09/03
____
Axel

post #11 of 28 Old 12-10-2004, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Replacing the Windows XP sp2 portcls.sys driver file with the original version fixed the problem for me. See this thread for details:
http://forum.inmatrix.com/index.php?showtopic=1035
post #12 of 28 Old 12-10-2004, 10:08 PM

Replacing the Windows XP sp2 portcls.sys driver file with the original version fixed the problem for me. See this thread for details:
http://forum.inmatrix.com/index.php?showtopic=1035
post #13 of 28 Old 12-10-2004, 10:35 PM

I had this exact same problem with the Soundmax on the P4P800. I was about ready to surrender and try a different sound card when after much searching through forums I found this gem:

The problem is caused by soundmax drivers
on Asus P4p800 mobo. You are using the latest 3630 if I'm not wrong.
This will cause the problem u are describing on SP2 but not sp1. To
solve the problem, go to asus website and download the soundmax driver
for P5P800 instead something like 5150. Next, do not open and run file,
instead use update driver in properties and point to the folder where u
downloaded P5p800 (5150) soundmax drivers. If you follow this
instruction you will get a working digital out and analog out. If you
open and run the file instead, the digital out will still work but your
analog out will be missing the centre channel.

Calvin
Singapore

This works absolutely PERFECTLY.
post #14 of 28 Old 12-12-2004, 12:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Anyone figured this out for Intel boards yet? I tried using the 12/04 soundmax drivers for P5p800, but I lost the SPDIF option altogethr:-(

Basically, in PowerDVD 6 within MCE 2005, if I pause, when I come back the sound is gone.
post #15 of 28 Old 12-12-2004, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Same problem, did the same thing david hite said, and it fixed it.
post #16 of 28 Old 12-12-2004, 10:07 PM

How do you get Win XP to keep the portcls file? I tried Read only and it still reverts to the newer version.
post #17 of 28 Old 12-13-2004, 10:25 PM

I'm not sure if you have to - but I replaced portcls.sys in both the dllcache directory and the drivers directory. I marked it read only in both places. I had to do it twice in the drivers directory. I think it got swapped out before I could mark it read only.
I also tried gghose's solution and it worked just fine.
post #18 of 28 Old 12-14-2004, 02:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I had to manually add a regkey for Windvd to actually select SPDIF as default in Zoom player.

Windvd:

[HKEY_USERS\\S-1-5-21-(...)\\Software\\Intervideo\\Common\\AudioDec]
"AUDIO"=dword:00000006

PowerDVD:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Cyberlink\\Common\\CLAud]
"AuDsInterface"=dword:00000004

The problem with e.g. Windvd is that they sometimes change the key name.
So in one version it may be AUDIO, next AUDIOOUT etc.
Run a search on google if it doesn't work.

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
post #19 of 28 Old 02-09-2005, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally posted by astro11
How do you get Win XP to keep the portcls file? I tried Read only and it still reverts to the newer version.
I couldn't figure that out either. Whenever I tried coping the edit sfc_os.dll file, I kept getting a "the file because it is being used by another process."

I used this site's instructions, and it didn't work.
http://www.wown.com/articles_tutoria...ction-SP2.html

GOd damn Microsoft and their infinite stupidity. Not everyone needs their hands held when using their software.

I so freaking fed up of this crappy on board audio and service crap 2 that I'd just going to have to stick in the Audigy 2 card that I really didn't to.
post #20 of 28 Old 02-10-2005, 05:50 AM

Replace the file while in safe mode. This worked for me. I also had to replace my soundmax drivers with the ones from Realtek (I used version 3.43). fixed all my lost audio/dropout/studdering problems. I get 100% perfect playback, couldnt be happier.

see this thread for more details on the Realtek fix

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=484120
post #21 of 28 Old 02-10-2005, 07:35 AM

You can also write a batch file which will copy over the file in all 3 instances.

There is a post in this forum somewhere with an example of the .bat file.

cheers.
post #22 of 28 Old 02-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by switzch
You can also write a batch file which will copy over the file in all 3 instances.

There is a post in this forum somewhere with an example of the .bat file.

cheers.
Here.

But if you have an Asus motherboard with SoundMAX audio, a better fix is probably to get the updated SoundMAX drivers for the P5P800 motherboard (no matter what motherboard you have). I suggest you download the 5150 drivers in the file ADI1985_Win2kXP.zip.
post #23 of 28 Old 02-28-2005, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by salavs
I am experiencing a very strange problem with Zoom Player, where every time I pause video, fast forward etc. I lose sound on my SPDIF output.
Ah Hah! This is the same problem that frustrated me all weekend as I was setting up my HTPC with zoomplayer. Every time I lost audio, if I stopped playback and restarted it, the audio was fine. WinDVD6 worked fine, so I know it has something to do with what is discussed here and how zoom works. Unfortunately I didn't even try to play around with ffdshow within zoom until I can fix this hurdle.

My first question is, has anyone fixed this problem for Intel motherboards with onboard Soundmax (ADI 1985)? I see a number of posts for ASUS users, but that won't be any help for me since I have the Intel MB. I have the Intel D865PERL and need to perform the fix (ie. updated portcls.sys file from Intel or reinstate the old one prior to the SP2 update). Checking the Intel web site all I can determine from the support for my D865PERL is that I'm using the latest driver (5.12.1.3713 dated 10/29/2003) but obvioulsly this is well before the SP2 and therefore won't fix the portcls.sys file problem. So even if I'm able to get the old one back, this won't ensure that I won't have a different problem, namely audio drop outs. I see that the Asus users I able to update their motherboards with another driver for another board (as long as the AD chip is the same), anyone know if Intel has a fix for a newer board that I could use for mine? Anyone have any other tips and/or suggestions?

Okay second question. It has been posted that the audio drop out problem prior to SP2 was fixed by using Reclock. Can someone enlighten me where I can find this Reclock filter, and how do I use it in zoomplayer? Do I put it in the other filters section where ffdshow goes? Does it go before or after ffdshow?

Thanks,

Scott

PS I found this post after some searching here. Is there a primer on the proper way to do searches and how it works in this forum? It took me about 30 mins before I could even get search results with adequate results, I had to use the "as a last resort option" to have any success. Choosing any date, doesn't seem to go back far enough.
post #24 of 28 Old 03-01-2005, 07:44 AM

I don't know if anyone cares, but I'll post my findings just in case.

By reverting the portcls.sys files to the pre-SP2 versions, I was able to fix my problem of lost SPDIF output every time I paused video. I used the .bat file posted here and put the pre-SP2 file in the same directory as the .bat file. Ran the .bat file, re-booted and the problem was fixed. I did check out 2 DVD's after to verify success and possible stuttering. DVD from the DVD drive, showed signs of stuttering, but I wouldn't classify it as an audio problem as the video simultaneously stuttered. Can anyone verify that audio dropouts or stuttering clearly has no impact on the smoothness of the video? The other DVD I tested on was Catwoman from hard drive. It didn't show any signs of stuttering including the beginning of ch 2 which played nice and smooth.

So the jury is still out on whether I need to look into Reclock, but I'll do more testing tonight.

2 questions still remain:

- If I'm using SPDIF out, will Reclock help with any audio probs I'm having. I think I read that it doesn't do anything audio-wise if you're using SPDIF out.

also

- Has anyone with a motherboard (mainly Intel) that has the onboard Soundmax and AD1985 chip installed the The RealTek AC97 audio drivers with any success. These should update the drivers to allow use of the new portcls.sys files. If so, how did you update the drivers, just run the .exe or manually somehow?

Thanks,

Scott
post #25 of 28 Old 03-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Can anyone verify that audio dropouts or stuttering clearly has no impact on the smoothness of the video?
No. I can vouch for the opposite: if you have a faulty sound driver, the video WILL jump when the AC3 audio is dropped. ReClock doesn't help. It appears that the sound driver simply drops chunks of the AC3 audio, and ReClock can't do anything about it.

I had that problem with my AD1985 SoundMax drivers. Installing the RealTek driver made all the problems go away. If the RealTek driver does not install on your motherboard, it is probably reporting the AD1985 chip with a different ID than what my ASUS board does. There seems to be a couple different IDs for the same chip.

If you look around you'll see people hacking the .inf files in order to get diferent versions of the SoundMax drivers to load. You may need to do the same. For instance, one instruction has:

"ven_1106&dev_3059&subsys_80F31043", change it to "ven_8086&dev_24D5&subsys_80F31043".

So, poke around the inf file, and try doing what it says (or doing the opposite!)
post #26 of 28 Old 03-01-2005, 02:04 PM

Thanks for clarifying that DJRobX.

Question. Did you update your Soundmax drivers AND re-instate the portcls.sys file from the SP2? Or should I stay away from the "new" portcls.sys file altogether?

Thanks again,

Scott
post #27 of 28 Old 03-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I never actually touched the portcls.sys file. I was aware of what it was supposed to fix, but I was more concerned with getting the drop-outs fixed. The RealTek driver happens to work fine with the SP2 portcls.sys file.

There were also other sets of SoundMax AD1985 drivers that worked fine with the SP2 portcls.sys file (I beleive the version was "5150"). They came from a different Asus motherboard than mine (I beleive it was the P5P800). However, I could not get AC3 audio from Media Center's DVD player with them. If you aren't using Media Center you might be able to just use these newer SoundMax driver to resolve your problems, since things seemed to work fine in Zoom Player. I did confirm that the drop-outs went away with the 5150 drivers.
post #28 of 28 Old 03-01-2005, 04:07 PM

quick one... I had same issue with an asus pgd1(?)/i915p motherboard with realtek chip.

I did fix it with reclock at first (had to change a config in realclock - something like use hardware instead of directsound)

A better fix was simply getting the updated realtek drivers from the realtek website - asus only had the outdated drivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page