Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 47 Old 12-30-2004, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I thought that we might start a list of request as I know that some Microsoft MCE gurus (Amir ;)) do roam AVS forum from time to time...

1) My music
- ability to just display Albums=folder. MCE will try to find out if a song you placed in a folder belongs to a different album and ruin the simple equation
- ability to place a folder.jpg in the folder and NOT be overrun by MCE (which downloads it's own cover for the Album)
- kmixer or asio plugin

2) My Videos
- support of divx subtitles
- aspect ratio control a la zoom player (I would like maximum flexibility to stretch vertically and horizontally the picture to the required setting)
- display only the name of the folder, dropping the icon. Currently the folder name is truncated after a few charachters

3) My DVD
- support ffdshow
- aspect ratio control a la zoom player (I would like maximum flexibility to stretch vertically and horizontally the picture to the required setting)
- allow TheaterTek or Zoomplayer to launch as default movie/DVD player

4) My DVD collection
- support import from DVD Profiler

5) My Tv
- Multiple HDTV tuners.
- Allow HDTV only setups (no analog card required).
- Guide information for DTV subchannels.
- Media Extenders that can stream HDTV

Feature requests outside existing modules:
- MCE plugin to use Nero Vision Express from WITHIN MCE. What I like of NVE is that it allows you to compress a recorded movie to one dvd, when Sonic wouldn't
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 12-30-2004, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
#4 is a tough one to ask for since it's an independant (free) product plugged into to mce, no?
post #3 of 47 Old 12-30-2004, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Indeed. The fact that it is so popular highlights a need in the user base. We all have built movie lists. In an ideal world I would like Microsoft to run DVDProfiler, so once I update DVD Profiler, it will automatically update Microsoft's "My DVDs". I am not un-supportive or free independent plugins, I used to use all of them, but now I use MCE because of the integration. Right now I am not using My Dvd because I am not going to retype 750 titles in it (my dvd collection ;))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 12-30-2004, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For My TV:

1. Multiple HDTV tuners.

2. Allow HDTV only setups (no analog card required).

3. Guide information for DTV subchannels.

4. Media Extenders that can stream HDTV.
post #5 of 47 Old 12-30-2004, 02:20 PM
djg

I just posted this in another thread but here it is again:

Always have the mce remote tied to the mce window so channel up/down and number keys work regardless of whether the mce window has focus.

Dave
post #6 of 47 Old 12-30-2004, 03:37 PM

ffdshow

divx/xvid support

Take care,
Seth

AMD 5000+BE @2.6GHZ 2GB ram, 820GB storage
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G chipset
Nvidia DualTV, HDHomerun, MCE keyboard and remote. SageTV
post #7 of 47 Old 12-30-2004, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Or....
Allow TheaterTek or Zoomplayer to launch as default movie/DVD player
post #8 of 47 Old 12-30-2004, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by setherd
ffdshow

divx/xvid support
I play divx/xvid file fine through My Videos.
Only trouble I have are subtitles and aspect ratio control.
post #9 of 47 Old 12-30-2004, 04:27 PM

hmm I've got a couple divx files that play fine in WMP but not MCE

Take care,
Seth

AMD 5000+BE @2.6GHZ 2GB ram, 820GB storage
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G chipset
Nvidia DualTV, HDHomerun, MCE keyboard and remote. SageTV
post #10 of 47 Old 12-30-2004, 07:44 PM

I want to change screen resolutions based on source material. So, for example, 4x3 content would be shown in 720x480 and widescreen material would be in 1920x1080i.

We should have the ability to select our own screen resolutions and timings for MCE to use and switch between them on the fly as necessary. This could be controlled in much the same manner one would use the Zoom feature in MCE on a Widescreen set.

If I could do this, I wouldn't have to exit out of MCE, open the Nvidia control panel and change my display type from a 480p EDTV to 1080i HDTV display everytime I watch a widescreen movie on my 4x3 ratio Sony XBR TV.
post #11 of 47 Old 12-30-2004, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael_R_Rose
I want to change screen resolutions based on source material. So, for example, 4x3 content would be shown in 720x480 and widescreen material would be in 1920x1080i.

We should have the ability to select our own screen resolutions and timings for MCE to use and switch between them on the fly as necessary. This could be controlled in much the same manner one would use the Zoom feature in MCE on a Widescreen set.

If I could do this, I wouldn't have to exit out of MCE, open the Nvidia control panel and change my display type from a 480p EDTV to 1080i HDTV display everytime I watch a widescreen movie on my 4x3 ratio Sony XBR TV.
Yup. I feel your pain. I guess your feature request falls under "custom aspect ratio" control, so you would be able to stretch the image to your liking.
post #12 of 47 Old 12-31-2004, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnollo
Yup. I feel your pain. I guess your feature request falls under "custom aspect ratio" control, so you would be able to stretch the image to your liking.
Well, yes and no. I have custom resolution control through the NVIDIA drivers. The aspect ratio is absolutely perfect for me at 480p and 1080i display modes. I just want to switch between these modes on the fly from within MCE. If the aspect ratio were incorrect in either of these modes, then custom aspect ratio control would be needed as well, but is not necessary in my case.

My Sony XBR TV (KV36-XBR400) is a 4x3 set (480i/p and 1080i) and when it detects an HD signal (1080i), it uses vertical compression and runs in widescreen mode. This works with regular DVD players, Playstation2, and Xbox for widescreen material. This works perfectly in MCE when I output a 1080i (or 540p) signal from my Evga Nvidia 6600GT through the component breakout box. The problem is that I don't want everything to be displayed with vertical compression on. So, I have to switch to 480p (720x480) for normal 4x3 TV and DVD viewing. If I don't, I end up with letter box on the top and bottom of the screen AND barn doors on the sides. If I leave it set at 480p, then 4x3 material fills the screen perfectly, but then the image quality is poor for widescreen material. I also loose the ability to use Purevideo to scale the 480p widescreen enhanced material to 1920x1080i, which is really a sight to behold. Now, I can do the switching from the NVIDIA control panel outside of MCE, BUT, this is ackward to do everytime I switch between 4x3 and 16x9 source material, and its not future wife and children friendly. The end result is that we have to leave the screen resolution at 720x480p or else the next person to use the MCE is confused why the picture is so small and there are black bars on EVERY side of the screen when they watch regular TV. If my TV were a 16x9 tube, I would just leave it set to 1920x1080i all the time and use the MCE zoom control when watching 4x3 material.

So what I really need is to set two display settings for MCE and have it switch between the two based on source material playing. What would be WONDERFUL is to be able to pick a default resolution for MCE to run in during setup. Then, there needs to be entries for 4x3 material and 16x9 material. When either of these types of sources are played, then the MCE will switch to that display mode. I used to be able to do this with external DVD playing applications (an old version of Power DVD I believe). Once setup, the change should be seemless to the end user just as it is when popping a Widescreen Enhanced DVD into a DVD player.

By the way, with the NVIDIA .67 decoders, a 1920x1080i resolution, and using Smart mode deinterlace control, Purevideo seems to be truly working magic. This is the best picture I have ever seen on my set or anywhere else for that matter.
post #13 of 47 Old 12-31-2004, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Michael, Powerstrip combined with Girder might be the solution you are searching for. You could use Powerstrip to change resolution when pressing a function key on your keyboard.
Then you can use girder to associate an infrared command to a function key. Then you can use a remote you never use in your front room to teach girder two infrared commands, and to teach the same commands to the learning buttons on your WIN MCE remote.
The only thing I am not sure is if Powerstrip supports those two resolutions. The rest I know works, because I have set it up on my other older non MCE HTPC.
post #14 of 47 Old 12-31-2004, 08:41 AM

Being as MCE supports multiple tuners I would like support for PNP and PIP. I should be able to have both the HDTV and one or two analog tuners up at the same time in a tiled video wall effect. Then by switching to a window with the remote switch to the sound for that window or by selecting a window have the ability to make it full screen and the other window(s) become smaller PIP windows within it.

Remote DVD/VOB playback from the extenders. I have hundreds of GBs of DVDs I've dumped onto my MCE HD as a video library and should be able to play them on an extender without converting them all to MPGs first. If you can stream TV over the network you should be able to stream videos too.

Support for saving the MCE Extender software to the XBOX HD so you can use it as the interface for DVDs played (or even games) played through the Xbox. The goal (for me anyway) was to have the same interface and capabilities in each room via the extender, but the current limitations make this impossible.

A software extender so I can use my other Windows XP based PCs as a client of MCE and have the same interface. It may be third parties will do this, but it's a missing right now.

Better hardware support for things like DVD jukeboxes and component input (e.g. the PMSVideo PDI Deluxe card). If they want this to be considered a real HTPC OS then it will need better support for more high-end hardware.

Don

Regards,

Don
post #15 of 47 Old 12-31-2004, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnollo
Michael, Powerstrip combined with Girder might be the solution you are searching for. You could use Powerstrip to change resolution when pressing a function key on your keyboard.
Then you can use girder to associate an infrared command to a function key. Then you can use a remote you never use in your front room to teach girder two infrared commands, and to teach the same commands to the learning buttons on your WIN MCE remote.
The only thing I am not sure is if Powerstrip supports those two resolutions. The rest I know works, because I have set it up on my other older non MCE HTPC.
I was thinking of something like this, but I need to change the TV output choice in the Nvidia panel, not just the screen resolution. Under TV preferences it lists 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, NTSC-M, etc..... I just need to flip flop between 1080i and 480p. Is this even possible with Girder/P-strip?

This should still be something intergrated into MCE by default. If MCE is to be veiwed as a consumer OS, it should be able to tackle the task of hooking into various Home Theater equipment in much the same way as other consumer appliances do. HD cable and Sat. boxes have choices like this and some higher end DVD players with scalers can do this as well. Shouldn't MCE?
post #16 of 47 Old 12-31-2004, 09:09 AM

Please correct me if I am wrong, but Microsoft doesn't have a long history of trying to get their products to work well with others. Microsoft is most likely looking for Windows Media Player to be enhanced to be the defacto standard for Computer based Home Entertainment, If they allow all sorts of deviations from what they directly write and control they might lose the monopoly and control. My gut tells me intergration with ZP (Which I used to use until MC2005) is a dream that M$ would not benefit from. We are a limited audience and this MC2005 has incredible mass market appeal. I am not programmer and have no idea if you can write plug ins for MC2005, but I thought I would share my 2 cents so that if M$ is reading that we could better focus our request, prioritize and get them in the pipeline.

Ryan
post #17 of 47 Old 12-31-2004, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
- add support for QAM tuner cards (i.e. Fusion HDTV3 Gold Q)

-l
post #18 of 47 Old 12-31-2004, 09:21 PM

- when you press the record button for an already in progress show (ie watching something via live tv), it would be nice if the recorded program included the earlier part of the show (ie. whatever was already in the live tv buffer) instead of just everything from the time of the button press forward

- keep buffering live tv content while watching recorded content

-pischke
post #19 of 47 Old 01-06-2005, 08:03 AM

An HD designation in the guide or at least the show information of a DTV show. If TitanTV can do it in there guide I want in on my MCE guide.

The ability to remote record DTV shows.
post #20 of 47 Old 01-06-2005, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lennyr
- add support for QAM tuner cards (i.e. Fusion HDTV3 Gold Q)
And add the ability to tune to QAM channels above 100. Right now, you can force it to change Zap2It's (frequently wrong) digital channel listings, but not if the correct channel is higher than 99.9 on the cable system.
post #21 of 47 Old 05-18-2005, 04:29 PM
CoG

I listen to a lot of Bible programs and there are some great ones during the day while I am at work that I never get a chance to listen to anymore. I want to be able to scedule a radio station and a time for MC to record one of my programs.
post #22 of 47 Old 05-18-2005, 06:33 PM

ANy word on MS accepting Firewire input from the HDTV for recording? MY Mits 52725 has Firewire output and it would be great to use this within WMC2005
post #23 of 47 Old 05-18-2005, 10:52 PM

yes you can do firewire
I have posted this several times

http://www.thegreenbutton.com/commun...oApprove=false

you can have multiple HDTV tuners

and the xbox360 will be the first MCE extender capable of HDTV playback

guessing the other extenders were most likely underpowered
post #24 of 47 Old 05-19-2005, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It would be nice to get View option in folders.
In My Videos I get those stupid thumbnails but I can't see the complete name. I would prefer no thumbs but full name and perhaps some file details...
post #25 of 47 Old 05-19-2005, 07:56 AM

Oooh, Oooh, I got some!

Last night, Lost was listed in the Guide as 1hr 2 min. so it went until 8:02 pm CST. Revelations started at 8:00 pm CST, so MCE would not let me schedule both, I had to watch Lost live, and stop it at exactly the end of the actual program (the black and white Lost logo thing), stop the recording, then jump to the guide, stop the Lost recording, and start up the Revelations recording.
There is some flexibility to extend the start and stop time of the recording, but none to reduce the record end time, or for that matter ability to just set up a manual recording, ala Sage.

Know this one isn't gonna happen, but it sure would be nice to be able to manipulate DVR-MS files easily into a more open container, such as avi, mkv, or ogm. I know there are people working on this, but most of the point and click solutions result in wmv containers, which ain't open either.

These are HD DVR-MS files from an AverMedia 180 by the way, not the regular old SD ones, those I can pretty much convert to mpg if I need to with the existing tools.
post #26 of 47 Old 05-19-2005, 10:09 AM

My TV
Record to Networked/Mapped drive.
Mix different tuner types, e.g 1 Cable STV & One DVB-T Tuner. at the mometn it is one or the other.

My Music
ASIO Out

RD
post #27 of 47 Old 05-19-2005, 10:47 AM

Glad to see this thread active again. My gripes (excuse me, " feature requests"):

1. Let the user change the various Fast Forward and Rewind speeds for playback of recorded material. MS chose some horrible defaults, and Tivo has had this flexibility for years.

2. Let the user customize the playback controls that can be activated by the mouse. It's nice they have a 30 second skip and a 5 second rewind on the remote control, but what about those of us that like to use a mouse for playback (or at least they could include all of the remote control buttons on the screen display).

3. How about the "skip to tick" feature of Tivo (where a recording is segmented and you can easily skip forward/back to different segments). Or is this one patented by Tivo?
post #28 of 47 Old 06-30-2005, 04:13 PM

Hi,

another one for the list, supporting tv tuners of different kinds, e.g. analogue and dvb-t in the same system - including the program guide.

An example of how it could work, download a list of all available channels for the satellite and then check each box for whether its available from dvb-t or sat.

Then when scouring through the listings to find the programs to watch, it looks at which card can provide and providing its not currently recording from that source, sets the source as required.

Sure there's techie reasons for this not being feasible, but its a wish!!!

Ta
Tony
post #29 of 47 Old 06-30-2005, 04:30 PM

Are you saying you can tune QAM channels under 100 on your MCE box now?

Garth
post #30 of 47 Old 06-30-2005, 09:04 PM

My list for MCE futures/fixes:

1) Bring back sort by category for recorded TV.

2) Improve HD size estimation with heuristics that remember actual history of
resolutions/bit rates of the same program previously recorded on the same channel,
or others shows on the same channel at the same time (e.g. HD prime time, but SD
during the day).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page