post #9511 of 13024 Old 05-25-2007, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgharrin View Post

XP ...will not play .tp files over the network without stuttering, pixilation, freezing and no sound.

Sounds like a network problem to me. Look at your NIC settings in Device Manager, also check your cabling and router/switch setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 13024 Old 05-25-2007, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thinking about another computer, and among the options are a 3GHz Celeron and a 3GHz Pentium D dual-core for about the same cost. On the surface this seems like a no-brainer to go with the Pentium D, but if I install my extra MDP130 to it then I'll want to boot to onecpu mode, sometimes at least.

Do y'all agree that Pentium D wins over the single-CPU Celeron? Or does the Celeron whip the D if I cripple it? Advice needed!
post #9513 of 13024 Old 05-25-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Doesn't each core on the Pentium have more cache than does the Celeron? If so, I'd say it's the winner even with one CPU tied behind its back.

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9514 of 13024 Old 05-25-2007, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
XP pro
The CPU is 2-4 %, then jumps to 35-65% while trying to play
.tp file over the lan. I am running no other programs
The IDE controller primary channel is set to auto DMA...ultra DMA mode 4
is the current transfer mode
I see no box to check in Hard Drive properties for DMA, as there is in Win 98se
Win Media Player is not even set up for utilization...so no SW players to try
as yet.
post #9515 of 13024 Old 05-25-2007, 02:09 PM

Even though you have no other apps running, there will be a slew of processes shown in Task Manager. Which one(s) get that bump in CPU% when the LAN play starts? And how does that compare to local file play? I think Laserfan is probably right that you have an NIC config problem. Is it set to at least 100 Mbps full duplex? What sort of stuff is between the boxes? Router? Switch?? What speed(s)??

How fast is a file copy between machines? (In both directions)

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
post #9516 of 13024 Old 05-25-2007, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Doesn't each core on the Pentium have more cache than does the Celeron? If so, I'd say it's the winner even with one CPU tied behind its back.

Thanks TP, yeah I think it's actually 2x2Mb L2!!! PD it is...
post #9517 of 13024 Old 05-25-2007, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2112 View Post

On Wednesday night I found and viewed my local cable company's PBS-hd feed via QAM. I scheduled a couple of recordings for Thursday morning, children's programming for my kid. However, the resulting recordings were "empty" (no video/audio content), and when I tried to view the channel again Thursday morning via MyHD, it showed only a black screen with no sound.

Last night, I flipped through my QAM channels on the MyHD card, and was able to once again view PBS-HD, on the same exact channel as before. I recorded a minute or two and checked the recording, and it was successful. I then flipped around in the music choice channels, and then went back to the PBS-HD channel, only to find that I could no longer view or hear the channel.

This morning, an early PBS-HD recording ended up resulting in another "empty" .tp file (no audio or video). I tried tuning in to PBS-HD on MyHD again, with no luck. Then, I remembered that when I successfully viewed it last night, I had started a channel or two below it and "channel-upped" until I reached the PBS channel. I tried that this morning, and it worked! I was able to tune in PBS-HD just before another scheduled recording was to begin.

I sat and waited for that recording to begin. However, when it did, the MyHD screen immediately went black, again devoid of audio and video. I let the recording go for a minute, stopped it, then checked it in HDTV2MPEG2... it had no audio/video content at all, like the previous recordings.

I changed the MyHD channel, and again channel-upped to the PBS-HD channel. To my surprise, I was able to successfully tune into it once again. I clicked the "record" button to manually record the program that had just started, and it successfully recorded the entire program.

So... any ideas on why MyHD would selectively display and not display (and hence record and not record) the content from this channel? It doesn't seem to be any type of flag or whatnot, and it kills the prospect of scheduling recordings on this QAM channel. I am not experiencing the same issue on ABC-HD and other local HD feeds via QAM. Any suggestions on what I might try to fix this issue?

I too have a similar problem and I updated to the current 1.66.1 app and it still does it. When I channel surf, I'm not sure it's because I'm going too fast, but after awhile, the app loses the ability to display the digital channels or some channels.

As I change the channels (up and down arrow keys on the keyboard, or using the mouse with the up and down arrow buttons on the config panel), some channels that were fine before come up as black screen with no audio and the text "no signal detected" on the upper left corner of the screen. If I go back one channel and forward or forward one channel then back, the channel is back (this is with digital OTA channels).

The second version of this problem is when I'm channel surfing, at some point all my digital OTA are gone (black screen with no audio), although my analog OTA channels are fine. I kill the app and restart and all my digital OTA channels are back.

This problem pops up from time to time. On cable my analog stations are fine, I can't remember if this has happen on my digital QAM stations or not. I'm sort of glad that I'm not the only one who is having this problem, as I thought it might be a problem with my card.
post #9518 of 13024 Old 05-25-2007, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
An update on my situation...

I ran the installer for the updated version of MyHD and its drivers. On my first attempt, I encountered this error:

An error occurred during the move data process: -115

Component: Filters
File Group: Filters
File: C:\\Program Files\\MyHD\\MyHD_AudFilter.ax

I clicked the OK button, and the install ceased. I then re-ran the install, and it got past the point where I received the first error message (which was when it shows the three vertical bars that fill up, and each one has a different icon below it... a folder, a cd drive, and an octagon that says "Low"). It appeared to be almost complete, when I received my second error message:

MyHD Driver Installer - Error in UDFPNPD()

Access Is Denied

I again clicked OK, and I got to the installation finalization window, where you select if you want .tp and .ts files to be associated with MyHD, etc... I then restarted as was required.

Once my PC was back up, I opened MyHD. Checked the version, and it is now the latest version. I went to my QAM input, and could not view any QAM channels at all. I did a channel scan, and it found nothing. I then wiped out all of my QAM scanned channels, and am in the midst of a full re-scan (digital only, instead of Auto or Analog). It is finding channels now, so I guess I will have to wait and see if I can reliably tune into them now.

BTW, there is also a problem with MyIRC. The system tray icon for it is red, and it says that I need to check my IR receiver. I tried using the remote, and it did not work. I will unplug it and plug it back in to see if that fixes it, but beyond that, any other suggestions?

Another issue... I recorded two PBS-HD programs this morning, ran them through HDTV2MPEG2 to chop off the trash at either end of the show, and converted them to AVI with AutoGK. The resulting files have audio sync issues... they are off by a few seconds. I thought that by grabbing the program directly from the source via QAM, I could avoid issues like this that I have seen before when capturing and converting OTA programs. Do you think Cox's signal was weak or something, or would it be more likely to be an issue with my PC? Any recommendations on what I can do to fix the problem? (FYI, I also ran the original .tp file through MPEG2Repair, and the log file noted that I had something like 30 seconds of audio sync issues, and 20 seconds of video sync issues).
post #9519 of 13024 Old 05-25-2007, 09:20 PM

Your installation is clearly flawed, as you should see no error messages during the process and the remote icon should not be red. I suggest that you uninstall MyHD using the Control Panel add/remove program applet and try it again. (The "access is denied" message seems to indicate either that you didn't have admin. priviledges, which are needed for the installation, or you ran out of disk space) You can save the channel list to avoid needing to rescan unless you trashed it with the bad install and don't have a saved copy from earlier.

A/V sync issues in converted files usually have nothing to do with flaws in the TS. If the TS plays properly in sync in MyHD then the converted file should play properly as well if it was correctly done.

Edit: I just reviewed your recent posts and I don't see what OS you're running, but it looks to me as though you're overdue for a Windows re-installation and a spring cleaning inside your PC, as the most likely cause of the various oddities you've observed is a combination of overheating and consequent HDD garbage where OS data used to be.

post #9520 of 13024 Old 05-26-2007, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Inability to play .tp files on XP across network with MyHD.
Copy file from 98se to XP takes 3min 31sec.
From XP to 98se, it takes 1min 25sec.
Is there a fix?
post #9521 of 13024 Old 05-26-2007, 08:38 AM

Hmm...the disparity in copy times seems to indicate a Windows problem, as we suspected. I recall reading some time back of issues when networking XP and Win98 machines, but I had thought that by XP SP2 that was all fixed....

Perhaps someone else here has a more specific memory of that issue and its solution??

post #9522 of 13024 Old 05-26-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can only suggest, until you trip across the solution rgharrin to try a network analyzer like Network Probe 0.4 (freeware but you hafta search for it, try 'Network_Probe_0.4-install.exe download'). Might reveal something to you that focusses you in on the problem.

I had a switch that was choking recently, and using Network Probe I discovered that a router on my network, that I was only using as a wireless access point/switch, was broadcasting UPNP for some ungodly reason, apparently bogging-down one of my el-cheapo 8-port switches. Very ugly--surprised the heck out of me as this thing's been running this way for a couple yrs now.

P.S. Another nice tool is Show Traffic.
post #9523 of 13024 Old 05-26-2007, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where can I buy a USB remote for the MDP-130?

Is there any way to get a Windows MCE remote to work in Windows Vista Ultimate?
post #9524 of 13024 Old 05-26-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 1268
You can buy the USB remote from Digital Connection. I had to buy one this month so I could use a MDP-100 on a new HP Media Center m8010y running Vista.
post #9525 of 13024 Old 05-26-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
After reading all 9523 posts ---- Okay, I didn't read them all, but I did search and can't seem to find the answer to my question. So, how do I manually tune QAM channels and sub-channels? My system was working okay with Adelphia, but since we switched over to Comcast, I can't get the HD channels. Analog comes in okay, but a couple dozen digital channels appear after the auto-scan and while they show a strong signal, there is no picture - only black.
post #9526 of 13024 Old 05-26-2007, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Does anyone know if one core of a dual core system can be disabled as needed to use a MyHD on the system without the usual hyperthreading/dual core problems?

Joe Clark

post #9527 of 13024 Old 05-26-2007, 04:17 PM

Joe, just use the "/onecpu" tag on your boot.ini startup line. Then Windows will turn off one CPU and MyHD will enable the features turned off with Hyperthreaded/dual-core systems.

post #9528 of 13024 Old 05-26-2007, 04:22 PM

Carl, are you sure that you have any unencrypted QAM channels? The dark ones are likely encrypted.

Did you do a complete "auto" mode auto scan or just "digital" and "analog" mode ones? If the latter, you need to first delete the old channels because MyHD doesn't rescan existing channels if the mode is preset.

You can manually add channels using the Channel Setup dialog, but in my experience if MyHD doesn't find the channel in auto-scan it isn't tunable.

post #9529 of 13024 Old 05-26-2007, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

Joe, just use the "/onecpu" tag on your boot.ini startup line. Then Windows will turn off one CPU and MyHD will enable the features turned off with Hyperthreaded/dual-core systems.

Thanks, Terry.

Joe Clark

post #9530 of 13024 Old 05-27-2007, 03:28 PM

I have noticed some odd behavior. This may have been brought up before but i wouldn't know.

I can watch ant 2(cable) and switch to file mode. push FAV key on the remote, using playback menu with the OSD the up/down file selection is VERY slow. It takes for every to get to the end of the list. Now if i start a file playing and hit the fav key the menu sroll up and down is very responsive.

Is this the same on all computers?
post #9531 of 13024 Old 05-27-2007, 03:34 PM

Where do I find 1.66.1u ?
post #9532 of 13024 Old 05-27-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8tqz View Post

Where do I find 1.66.1u ?

HERE

It is part of the driver package for the card.
post #9533 of 13024 Old 05-27-2007, 04:01 PM

I got my card a long time ago and the latest Download I can find is 1.66.1e which is really old.
post #9534 of 13024 Old 05-27-2007, 04:16 PM

W8, "E" (english) == "U" (U.S.) 1.66.1 is the newest public release.

Paul, look for "menu sloth bug" in the MetaFAQ. This is what you are seeing.

post #9535 of 13024 Old 05-27-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Ballard View Post

After reading all 9523 posts ---- Okay, I didn't read them all, but I did search and can't seem to find the answer to my question. So, how do I manually tune QAM channels and sub-channels? My system was working okay with Adelphia, but since we switched over to Comcast, I can't get the HD channels. Analog comes in okay, but a couple dozen digital channels appear after the auto-scan and while they show a strong signal, there is no picture - only black.

I had the same problem. I finally realized it showed encrypted and audio channels. I can find the usable channels easily with my Fusion card. Without that you have to try all the digital channels till you find the ones that work.
post #9536 of 13024 Old 05-27-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Carl, are you sure that you have any unencrypted QAM channels? The dark ones are likely encrypted.

Did you do a complete "auto" mode auto scan or just "digital" and "analog" mode ones? If the latter, you need to first delete the old channels because MyHD doesn't rescan existing channels if the mode is preset.

You can manually add channels using the Channel Setup dialog, but in my experience if MyHD doesn't find the channel in auto-scan it isn't tunable.

Strange, I was about to throw in the towel, but tried an auto-scan one last time. This time it found a bunch of channels. I was able to spot pbs, abc and nbc. Still can't find cbs or fox. My sony dvr can tune abc, cbs, nbc and pbs, but also can't find fox. Guess I'll go back to my antenna. It came down during an ice storm last winter. A bit of a pain getting it back up - but then I'll be back in business again!

How do I manually tune a sub-channel, say 109-2?
post #9537 of 13024 Old 05-27-2007, 06:06 PM

When you have virtual channels enabled (which is the recommended case) you don't "tune subchannels" because every virtual channel has its own identity and subchannels technically don't exist. If you change to disabling virtual channels then you can tune subchannels of each physical channel by using the Sub-Ch button on the remote.

post #9538 of 13024 Old 05-28-2007, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

W8, "E" (english) == "U" (U.S.) 1.66.1 is the newest public release.

Paul, look for "menu sloth bug" in the MetaFAQ. This is what you are seeing.

Is the link in the MetaFAQ Bad?

I get a strange message to contact ADMIN>

Stephen H. Fischer
post #9539 of 13024 Old 05-28-2007, 07:19 AM

If the problem persists, either contact ADMIN or use the link in Paul Yo's note a few posts back.

post #9540 of 13024 Old 05-30-2007, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 0-byte records have returned. They came back a few months ago but I lived with them for a while thinking that next time I cleaned up my system they would be fixed again. I reinstalled everything from scratch (formatted the C drive). I reinstalled XP - got all the Windows XP updates. Latest drivers and Software versions for everything .....but the 0-byte records still occur.

They only occur on back to back recodings. The first recording never fails but the 2nd recording fails about 1/3rd of the time. The red dot shows up and the file is created but never written to. I am using CW_EPG 2.1.2.4 and MyHD 1.66.1

System:
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ socket 939
ASUS A8N-E
1G memory (2x512M Kingston pc3200 400MHz )
C: 200G PATA Seagate
D: 1.5 T (3x500G raid 0 WD YS (raid edition)) <- recordings go here
DirectX 9.0c
CoolerMaster 450 watt power supply

Basically the same system as when no problems were occuring. If I manually adjust the times to create a 1 minute gap between the programs, the records never fail.

System is well cooled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page