post #9751 of 13024 Old 08-25-2007, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrown View Post

Where do you get that? I downloaded the latest from digitalconnection and mine says 1.66u (no .1)

BTW the 2nd "Top Questions" post in the Meta-FAQ also has pointers to the latest drivers.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=647837
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9752 of 13024 Old 08-25-2007, 12:20 PM

Liked: 10
Hi all.

I've been tinkering around with trying to record analog signals using my MDP-130 (both analog OTA TV and video on the S-video input). Whenever I try recording, however, the video in the overlay window jumps/glitches intermittently, and these jumps and glitches are also present in the resulting .avi file. Also, the video in the .avi file doesn't play back smoothly, but rather at a very low frame rate (maybe 5 FPS). That said, any suggestions on what I could do in order to get a decent analog recording? I did spend quite a bit of time looking for answers in the various FAQs, but it seems that audio issues are the main topic of discussion when it comes to recording analog with the MDP-130, and surprisingly, I'm not having any audio issues whatsoever.

Speaking of glitching, for as long as I've owned my MDP-130, I've noticed that the video in my overlay window intermittently glitches when I'm recording a DTV signal. Fortunately, though, the glitch isn't present in the resulting .ts file. Is there any way to eliminate this glitching, or is this a known issue? I did update my drivers and software version this afternoon, but it still seems to be an issue even in the latest version.

Thanks!
post #9753 of 13024 Old 08-25-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

You don't need to disable anything to use most MyHD functions. With both cores running you can do everything except (1) play files over LAN, (2) play DVD with menus, and (3) play/record DVHS tapes...as it clears says in the MetFAQ links.

My old HTPC bit the dust and my new one is dual core. The big ATA drive from the old PC wouldn't go in the new PC (an "all-SATA" Dell - grumble, grumble), so it went in a family member's machine.

Anyway, before the "/onecpu" in boot.ini, I experienced (1) [remote files would not play], as expected, but I also experienced a situation [might this be (4)?] where I needed to coax component output from the board. In other words, even though I had dual monitors selected, and native output, like I had in the old machine, there was nothing on the component output. By turning on the overly and turning off / apply / turning on / apply some of the settings on that page, I could manage to get the component working*. From a working output situation, closing the MyHD app, then opening it again resulted in loss of output again.

Since I've put the /onecpu in effect, I'm not having problem (1) (of course), and [is it coincidence?] I'm also not having any sign of "(4)"; it works just as it did - rock solid / always there component output.

Once I get the SATA / IDE conversion thing, the big drive is going to be going into the new PC, and I'm planning on removing /onecpu.

Anyone want to bet that (4) will / will not return? Stay tuned!

--Dale--

* Never figured out the minimum number of clicks, but always managed to get it going after some randomish clicking of settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9754 of 13024 Old 08-25-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD View Post

I've been tinkering around with trying to record analog signals using my MDP-130 (both analog OTA TV and video on the S-video input). Whenever I try recording, however, the video in the overlay window jumps/glitches intermittently, and these jumps and glitches are also present in the resulting .avi file....

Speaking of glitching, for as long as I've owned my MDP-130, I've noticed that the video in my overlay window intermittently glitches when I'm recording a DTV signal. Fortunately, though, the glitch isn't present in the resulting .ts file. Is there any way to eliminate this glitching, or is this a known issue?

Glitches in the overlay window are generally caused by bugs in the video card's driver. Try a different (probably newer) version of that.

Also, I suggest that you disable the overlay window while capturing analog video, since you need every CPU cycle you can get to do that smoothly and the overlay takes a bunch of those as well as much PCI bandwidth.

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
post #9755 of 13024 Old 08-25-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

Anyone want to bet that (4) will / will not return?

No bet here. All I can say is that I just tried the separate-monitor configuration on my AMD X2 system (without /onecpu in boot.ini) and I don't see (4).

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
post #9756 of 13024 Old 08-26-2007, 01:06 PM

I just purchased a 2600XT card and I can't get the picture to work in windows format, or for that matter, even well at full screen. I get a high pitched hum and the frames drop out and are jittery . . further, I get a green band on the left side of the screen for all analog signals. I'm using cable. No problems with my prior video card. . . using Windows XP sp2. Any suggestions
post #9757 of 13024 Old 08-26-2007, 01:09 PM

Go back to your prior video card.

(You may find that a newer driver for the 2600XT fixes the issue. I have no experience with that card)

post #9758 of 13024 Old 08-26-2007, 01:21 PM

"The card should work fine with any new ATI grarphics card as they use the same driver base for video overlay"

This was what DC told me before I bought the card. . .

Thanks for your brillent insight.
post #9759 of 13024 Old 08-26-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
The MyHD cards use the Janus chip decoder that was introduced around 1999. IIRC, the video overlay function is primative by today's standards.

The 2600XT is a pretty new card, so maybe DC's advice needs to be updated. Most people are using VMR and EVR these days, so perhaps ATI/AMD is paying less attention to the overlay.

Most people buy the MyHD hard for it's hardware-based decoder and independant video output. I leave the overlay off. It's really not the card to buy if you want to have HD video on the desktop. If you purchased recently, you might want to send it back to DC. I believe they have a 30-day return policy.

-Dave
post #9760 of 13024 Old 08-26-2007, 02:24 PM

Thanks, Dave. What card would you recommend?
post #9761 of 13024 Old 08-26-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Right now, I have MyHD, Fusion, and HDHomeRun tuners. MyHD is my favorite playback device into my HDTV because it produces a great picture from its independent output. However, as I mentioned above, it is not a great card for desktop viewing. The overlay output is only 480p. The overlay was really meant to be more of a monitor window, not the primary way to view output from MyHD.

I would only recommend the HDHomeRun if you you are using a front-end, such as Windows MCE, Sage TV, Beyond TV, etc. Out of the box, it will work with VLC, but I am not a big fan of VLC. It is a good value since it is a dual-tuner and it does what it is designed to do very well. Also, it does not do analog.

Historically, the Fusion cards have had buggy software, but DVICO has done a great job improving it over the last 18 months. DVICO offers PCI, PCI-Express, and USB versions. In view of the problems you are having now, I would recommend the USB version, which will isolate the tuner from your system more than the PCI or PCI-Express versions.

I don't have an AutumnWave OnAir GT, but this tuner might be a great option for you. It is USB, and it has an LG 5th gen tuner. It also comes with the nVidia PureVideo Decoder. I have TheaterTek, which also uses the PureVideo Decoder. In my opinion, TheaterTek looks better than Fusion when playing HD TP files, so the OnAir GT might look better than the Fusion. BTW, I still like the MyHD output a bit more than TheaterTek for HD files, but I prefer TheaterTek for DVDs.

If you are considering either the OnAir GT or the Fusion, you might want to post in the appropriate thread and see if anyone is also using a 2600XT.

Finally, if you have dual core or hyperthreading, it can't hurt to run with a single CPU and see if that makes a difference. Take a look at the Meta FAQ sticky.

-Dave
post #9762 of 13024 Old 08-26-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use a MyHD130 card with XP on a GEN5 Dell. I've never had a problem with seeing the video in overlay and the only way I use it is watching the video overlay on my 21" NEC MultiSync FP1370 CRT. No problems here. Before we begin condemning this card, let me say that the video coming out of this thing is superb.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #9763 of 13024 Old 08-26-2007, 07:18 PM

Thanks, Dave.
post #9764 of 13024 Old 08-26-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

I use a MyHD130 card....Before we begin condemning this card, let me say that the video coming out of this thing is superb.

Exactly. I wasn't entirely kidding the OP about going back to his old video card if the new one doesn't play nice with the MDP-130.

Seems that wasn't what he wanted to hear though.

post #9765 of 13024 Old 08-27-2007, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

DPLettner,

I often use the highest resolution possible 1280x768 and display that on my 21" NEC FP1370 monitor. When I do this, it is not in "overlay" mode but is in fact uding the 1280x768 resolution. I am not sure what you mean when you say that the highest resolution possible on a CRT is 480p. Is that when a small window is selected that overlays with other windows?

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #9766 of 13024 Old 08-27-2007, 06:46 AM

Geez, Art, that isn't what Dave said at all. He was reminding folks that, as explained in the FAQ, the MyHD desktop overlay window is scaled from a 480p image generated separately on the MDP-130 and displayed via the PCI bus. It is always 480p, independent of the resolution selected for display via the MDP-1x0's HD video port.

post #9767 of 13024 Old 08-27-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:

You don't need to disable anything to use most MyHD functions. With both cores running you can do everything except (1) play files over LAN, (2) play DVD with menus, and (3) play/record DVHS tapes...as it clears says in the MetFAQ links.

Terry, I was hoping to still use MyHD for standard DVD playback after I upgrade to HD DVD's since it make them look sooo nice. Anyway, I guess that's something I'll have to give up and use software. I was mostly curious if anyone had gotten HD-DVD or BluRay to decode smoothly with just one CPU core, but I suppose that's off topic for this thread.
post #9768 of 13024 Old 08-27-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMontgomery View Post

I just purchased a 2600XT card and I can't get the picture to work in windows format, or for that matter, even well at full screen. I get a high pitched hum and the frames drop out and are jittery . . further, I get a green band on the left side of the screen for all analog signals. I'm using cable. No problems with my prior video card. . . using Windows XP sp2. Any suggestions

I still have an AGP system.

I just ordered a Radeon HD2600PRO AGP 512MB card, so I will let you know how it works with MyHD. Maybe I am asking for trouble, but I think I can make it work. I probably won't be able to post any results for a week or two, but when I get a chance to try it, I will let you know how it goes.

-Dave
post #9769 of 13024 Old 08-27-2007, 06:51 PM

Thanks, Dave. I look forward to your results.
post #9770 of 13024 Old 08-27-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedavis76 View Post

Terry, I was hoping to still use MyHD for standard DVD playback after I upgrade to HD DVD's since it make them look sooo nice. Anyway, I guess that's something I'll have to give up and use software. I was mostly curious if anyone had gotten HD-DVD or BluRay to decode smoothly with just one CPU core, but I suppose that's off topic for this thread.

Sean, since MyHD can't be involved in playing HD/BR DVD (at least until there's an HD equivalent to AnyDVD) you're going to need enough CPU+GPU to do the job and likely the hw+sw that handles that will be able to equal MyHD's now ancient hw decoding for up-rezzing SD-DVD.

post #9771 of 13024 Old 08-28-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

...since MyHD can't be involved in playing HD/BR DVD (at least until there's an HD equivalent to AnyDVD)...

And that is very unlikely on at least an MS platform because the only reason for Vista is for MS to cozy up to Hollywood by wiring DRM directly into the OS. I don't want to say "uncrackable", but the DRM for HD disk players can be turned off "after the fact". Imagine popping a new disk into the HD player you bought (stand alone or one in Vista), and your player just quits working. If they find someone has hacked your player, they can do just that. The cats have a good head start on this one.

--Dale--

A somewhat interesting podcast, if you're into this stuff http://media.grc.com/sn/SN-077-lq.mp3
post #9772 of 13024 Old 08-28-2007, 08:24 PM

I have a theory on my old zero-byte record problems. They have come and gone over the years. One thing that I may have been doing differently than others is setting the Timeshift to a different drive than my normal recordings.

My normal recordings go to a 1.5 TB drive labled as E:
When I set up timeshifting (I often didn't bother because I try not to watch anything live anyway) but when I did set it up, I always set it up on my D: drive (160 GB drive)

I recently made a new channel scan and turned timeshifting on and the zero byte problem returned. I backed out both those changes and the problem went away. I'd rather not try enabling it again just incase I can't make it go away again.

The zero byte problem was always intermitent and happened only on back-to-back recordings. My theory it that for a few seconds between the recordings the timeshifting would kick in and somehow having to switch back and forth between drives caused a problem.

The good news is that I have had several days without seeing the problem.
post #9773 of 13024 Old 08-28-2007, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'm new to this thread & have done some searching & reading. I see all kinds of postings about different graphic cards, software, etc. Yet it seams the MDP-130 is all I need to turn a PC into a recorder. It makes me think I'm missing something. Perhaps my needs/wants are less than typical. Or I really am missing something.

I want to be able to record ATSC and QAM channels, and playback on my HDTV. For analog channels I will still use my DVD recorder.

I have an unused PC, a 433MHz Celeron. The Digital Connection web site states I need a Pentium II 400MHz or faster processor. The Manual from their web sites states Pentium-II 333MHz or faster. Any comments if my old 433MHz Celeron will work?

Their web site states RGB and Component (Y-Pb-Pr) output. And a bit further down it states Component (Y-Pb-Pr with optional cable). I'm confused about the VGA Male to 3x RCA Male Breakout Cable that they supply. My TV has Component (Y-Pb-Pr) inputs and an RGB computer input. I've never used the RGB input and therefore am not familar with its operation or any quirks that it may have.

It does not appear that I need a PC monitor to make this system work. Is this correct?

What do I really need to connect the MDP-130 to my HDTV?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
post #9774 of 13024 Old 08-28-2007, 10:24 PM

Mike, I don't think that you've missed anything important. MyHD should work well on your old PC. You don't mention OS, but you'll probably want to use at least Win2k, so that you can take advantage of NTFS' lack of the 4-GB file size limit.

You will want to have a big hard disk drive to record 6-8 GB/hr HDTV shows.

The MDP-1x0 does output either Y-Pr-Pb or RGB (std VGA), as set from the MyHD app. To connect it to your HDTV's VGA port all you need is a standard VGA monitor cable. Then if you use the MDP with the passthrough connection from your PC's video card you don't need a computer monitor. The RCA breakout cable is for HDTV sets that only have component inputs (and that means that to use the passthrough configuration and no separate monitor you need either a transcoder or a video card that outputs component signals).

post #9775 of 13024 Old 08-29-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:

...MyHD can't be involved in playing HD/BR DVD (at least until there's an HD equivalent to AnyDVD)...

AnyDVD already has an HD equivelent of AnyDVD called AnyDVD HD. I don't think that will help the MyHd card to play HD-DVD/BluRay discs since most of them are H.264 encoded, but it does mean that you can use a software decoder and not have to have HDCP on your HTPC.
post #9776 of 13024 Old 08-29-2007, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Mike, I don't think that you've missed anything important. MyHD should work well on your old PC. You don't mention OS, but you'll probably want to use at least Win2k, so that you can take advantage of NTFS' lack of the 4-GB file size limit.

You will want to have a big hard disk drive to record 6-8 GB/hr HDTV shows.

The MDP-1x0 does output either Y-Pr-Pb or RGB (std VGA), as set from the MyHD app. To connect it to your HDTV's VGA port all you need is a standard VGA monitor cable. Then if you use the MDP with the passthrough connection from your PC's video card you don't need a computer monitor. The RCA breakout cable is for HDTV sets that only have component inputs (and that means that to use the passthrough configuration and no separate monitor you need either a transcoder or a video card that outputs component signals).

Thanks for reminding me about that 4GB file size limit.

I still feel like I'm misunderstanding something. You mention the MDP-1x0 outputs Y-Pr-Pb. Why can't I just connect this to my TV's Y-Pr-Pb inputs? What is the function of my PC's video card if I do not use a computer monitor? Again, just connecting the MDP-130 to my TV's Y-Pr-Pb inputs.

"The RCA breakout cable is for HDTV sets that only have component inputs...". Why do I need this passthrough configuration if I'm connecting the MDP-130 directly to the TV's Y-Pr-Pb inputs?

If the MDP-130 suppose to also act as a video card, I guess I don't understand references to the computer's video card. Why would you want a computer monitor connected to the PC if you have a TV or HDTV already connected to the MDP-130 which is in the PC? Why would I want to watch a monitor and a TV?

Again, I think I'm missing something basic & important about the connections. Please help guide me back to the right path.

Thanks,
Mike
post #9777 of 13024 Old 08-29-2007, 04:25 PM

OK, yes, you are missing something. The MDP's video output is only the HD video signal. The PC desktop cannot be seen there. The passthrough mode allows you to have one cable between PC and HDTV that shows alternatively the MDP's HD output and the PC desktop (from the PC's video card). That cable can be connected either to the HDTV's VGA or component input, but not both. So you can hook up the MDP output to the Y-Pb-Pr inputs and the video card to the VGA input using separate cables and the correct respective signals, or you can choose one signal type and use one cable. Ora capite?

post #9778 of 13024 Old 08-29-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedavis76 View Post

AnyDVD already has an HD equivelent of AnyDVD called AnyDVD HD. I don't think that will help the MyHd card to play HD-DVD/BluRay discs since most of them are H.264 encoded, but it does mean that you can use a software decoder and not have to have HDCP on your HTPC.

Sonnuvagun. Yes, I was forgetting about the MPEG-4 bits of HD disks. I guess that another thing AnyDVD HD would allow is viewing of HD disks from a PC reader over LAN using a media streamer such as the TViX M4100SH.

post #9779 of 13024 Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I want to be able to record ATSC and QAM channels, and playback on my HDTV. For analog channels I will still use my DVD recorder.

I have an unused PC, a 433MHz Celeron. The Digital Connection web site states I need a Pentium II 400MHz or faster processor. The Manual from their web sites states Pentium-II 333MHz or faster. Any comments if my old 433MHz Celeron will work?

It might be a bit underpowered. True, the manual does call for a minimum of a Pentium-II 333MHz, but that's for watching incoming TV, not recording. Later in the same section it says:

For digital transport stream(ATSC) recording and playback, minimum system requirements are as follows:
CPU : Pentium-III 800MHz or faster

Everyone says those specs are conservative, i.e. you could probably get away with a slower computer. But even if your 433MHz computer is fast enough you'll probably soon wish for a faster one when you start editing commercials or otherwise manipulating the saved transport streams with other applications. OTOH, the MyHD boards have some issues with newer HW/SW such as dual core and Vista. The ideal computer is probably in the 1-2GHz range with XP.

Quote:

Their web site states RGB and Component (Y-Pb-Pr) output. And a bit further down it states Component (Y-Pb-Pr with optional cable). I'm confused about the VGA Male to 3x RCA Male Breakout Cable that they supply. My TV has Component (Y-Pb-Pr) inputs and an RGB computer input. I've never used the RGB input and therefore am not familar with its operation or any quirks that it may have.

It does not appear that I need a PC monitor to make this system work. Is this correct?

Although the MyHD has an on-screen display for many common operations, some things need the computer's video output and others are easier to do that way, at least for me.

If your HDTV can serve as a PC monitor, you don't need a separate one. You could send the two outputs (video card and MyHD card) to separate inputs on the TV and switch between them. Or you could feed the video card's output into the MyHD card and use its onboard switch to select the desired output, with one cable to the TV. If you do that, both must be set to the same mode, either RGB (normal for VGA) or component. Many video cards can't be set to component.

If you use component, you'll need a breakout cable to go from a 15 pin VGA-type connector to 3 RCA cables. That doesn't come with the MyHD, but last I heard Digital Connection would give you a free one on request when you buy the card. Check their site.

You might want to try connecting the VGA output of your computer to the VGA input of your TV to see how well it will work. You'll probably get a picture, but excessive overscan could prevent its use as a computer monitor.
post #9780 of 13024 Old 08-30-2007, 11:32 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
One problem I've noticed with the Digital Connection site is that it's very easy to get an older MyHD driver and not realize it. That's because the "latest" version they offer depends on the path you follow to the download. If you go to the main MyHD description page and select "latest Drivers" under "Technical Info" on the right, you are offered version 1.66.1, the current driver. But if you go to one of the other MyHD pages, such as the FAQ, and select "Download Latest Driver" under "Support" on the left, you get a page offering version 1.63. There are two sets of links to the drivers. The links on the left are dead (page not found) but the ones on the right will indeed download 1.63 from the MIT site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page