13Likes

post #11971 of 13024 Old 02-22-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Actually, she owns "there".

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11972 of 13024 Old 02-22-2011, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, good to hear that DC is still operating properly. They might just have a slow start after the weekend since it was Prez Day Monday.
post #11973 of 13024 Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 PM

Problem resolved!
Digital Connection just sent me a new tracking number.
Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11974 of 13024 Old 02-22-2011, 05:40 PM

I have two fusion cards and one MYHD card that have worked flawlessly for years now (thanks to CW-EPG). I do have them installed in a new mobo now that only has 3 pci slots which leaves practically no space between the cards. As some might guess, they get scorching hot in this particular setup.
I can keep them cool by blowing a relatively quiet Papst fan at them. Though no fan is even quieter :-). The cards run stable even when they do run hot. Is longevity of these cards compromised if I let them stay hot and quiet?
post #11975 of 13024 Old 02-22-2011, 06:27 PM

Yes.

But the unknown is: "by how much."

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
post #11976 of 13024 Old 03-02-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

This is a partial quote of post 11796 in this thread:

-snip-
I worked up a program in FoxPro that trims down the MyHD Buffer folder. I issue this command in FoxPro:

DO MyHD_TS with X, Y

X = highest timeshift(X).tp
Y = lowest timeshift(Y).tp

Before running it, I delete timeshift(0).tp up to timeshift(Y-1).tp

I wind up with timeshift(0).tp up to timeshift(X-Y).tp

This not only prevents possible every-20-second glitch/dropouts that SFischer1 described, it saves alot of HD space. Here's the FoxPro program:

PROCEDURE myhd_ts
PARAMETERS tnEnd, tnChop
** Method of use:
** 1. Decide which files you don't need in the MyHD Buffer (continuous, such as
** timeshift(0)tp to timeshift(568).tp (assuming here that you don't want to watch up to timeshift(568).tp)
** 2. Delete those files (permanently)
** 3. With the MyHD Buffer folder in the FoxPro path, Make the following call
** DO MyHD_ts WITH n, 568 (where n is the last file, i.e. timeshift(n).tp
** The last file, timeshift(n).tp after running this becomes timeshift(n-568).tp

PRIVATE lcFilename, lcNewName
SET DEFAULT TO GETDIR()
lcFilename=''
IF alert("Have you closed MyHD?","No;Yes")=1
RETURN
ENDIF
IF TYPE('tnEnd')='L'
=alert("First parameter designates the LAST timeshift file in the buffer.")
RETURN
ENDIF
IF TYPE('tnChop')='L'
=alert("Second parameter represents the FIRST timeshift file to keep.")
RETURN
ENDIF
FOR i = tnChop TO tnEnd
lcFilename = 'timeshift(' +ALLTRIM(STR(i)+').tp')
lcNewName = 'timeshift(' +ALLTRIM(STR(i-tnChop)+').tp')
RENAME (lcFilename) TO (lcNewName)
ENDFOR
=alert("The adjustment is complete. You can restart MyHD.")
RETURN

- - - -
I could rewrite this easily to make it so that you don't have to call it with those two parameters. It would determine the lowest and highest timeshift file using the FoxPro ADIR() command, however this works.

The above is a partial quote of post 11796 in this thread.

I rewrote the FoxPro function to make it work much more simply. Reason for the function is if the filenames get too large (i.e. timeshift(n).tp where n is a too large integer) sound glitches begin occurring every 20 seconds. No parameters are passed in the new version of the function. Prior to running the function I delete any number of timeshift(n).tp files from any places in the buffer directory and the function will rename them from timeshift(0).tp up the timeshift(n).tp where n+1 is the number of .tp files in the MyHD Buffer directory. Proper chronological order is maintained. Here's the code:

PROCEDURE buffer
* New buffer program: this renames all the files in the buffer going from 0 to the last, so they'll be in exact sequence, no gaps. So, use it accordingly.
* If you want to split something off from the middle, move it to another directory and run buffer.prg against that directory. This still allows you to
* choose which directory you're running on, the default being specified below, currently "H:\\MYHD Buffer"

PRIVATE lcFilename, lcNewName, lnEnd, lnLargest
lnEnd=0
lnLargest=0
* Change if necessary:
SET DEFAULT TO "H:\\MYHD Buffer"
SET DEFAULT TO GETDIR()
lcFilename=''
IF alert("Have you closed MyHD?","No;Yes")=1
RETURN
ENDIF
lnEnd=ADIR(laTPfiles) && How many tp files are there in this directory? lnEnd is how many. That's assuming (normally TRUE!) that there are ONLY .tp files.
*** Find last tp file:
FOR i=1 TO lnEnd
lcNumb=SUBSTR(laTPfiles(i,1),11,LEN(laTPfiles(i,1))-14)
lnNumb=VAL(lcNumb)
IF lnNumb>lnLargest
lnLargest=lnNumb
ENDIF
ENDFOR
lnNext=0
FOR i=0 TO lnLargest
lcFilename = 'timeshift(' +ALLTRIM(STR(i)+').tp')
IF FILE(lcFilename)
RENAME(lcFilename) TO 'timeshift(' +ALLTRIM(STR(lnNext)+').tp')
lnNext=lnNext+1
ENDIF
ENDFOR
=alert("The adjustment is complete. You can restart MyHD.")
RETURN
post #11977 of 13024 Old 03-02-2011, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

From post 11654:

Originally Posted by SFischer1
Quote:

....Should I ever want to, I just will select groups of time shift files with the same number of digits and combine them with HDTV2MPG and then combine those files onto just one with HDTV2MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

That worked for me the few times that I ever needed those files.

Well, the function I posted above works regardless of the number of digits in the .tp files. Of course, to run it you need FoxPro or the FoxPro runtime. Microsoft has not been entirely kind to FoxPro programmers. They make more $$$$$ off SQL Server and .NET.
post #11978 of 13024 Old 03-05-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Been using MDP-100/120/130 for OTA since they became available. Recently moved and now using cable (Morris Broadband) with a MDP-130 in QAM (cable) mode. They have the local CBS station as channel 807 (Cable D102-2) (OTA physical channel 7). When I used TitanTV to schedule a recording from Channel 807 for the first time I had to select the channel form a list that I had scanned, in this case it was D102-2. Then the Titan helper asked me, Do you want to update the virtual channel number of the selected channel? Then the channel will be selected automatically next time. Yes No.

Question, does anyone know where this information is stored?

post #11979 of 13024 Old 03-05-2011, 01:23 PM

Wendell, it's stored in the Registry, but you can get a copy in an mcl file if you save that from the channel scan lineup window.

post #11980 of 13024 Old 03-05-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Wendell, it's stored in the Registry, but you can get a copy in an mcl file if you save that from the channel scan lineup window.

Thanks Terry. I should have known . It has been many years since I looked into any of this stuff for the MDP's. They just been doing their thing for years with little trouble.

[INPUT1 No. 224]
Name = WSPA-DT
PhyCH = 102
VirCH = 807
MinCh = -2
SubCh = 2
TunerInputType = CABLE
SignalType = ATSC_256QAM
Programnumber = 2
Sourceid = 2
post #11981 of 13024 Old 03-05-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Thanks Terry. I should have known . It has been many years since I looked into any of this stuff for the MDP's. They just been doing their thing for years with little trouble.

[INPUT1 No. 224]
Name = WSPA-DT
PhyCH = 102
VirCH = 807
MinCh = -2
SubCh = 2
TunerInputType = CABLE
SignalType = ATSC_256QAM
Programnumber = 2
Sourceid = 2

I presume you did a copy/paste ( ? ) from your registry here?
post #11982 of 13024 Old 03-05-2011, 03:08 PM

Actually, it's from his mcl file.

post #11983 of 13024 Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is that what's created when you save your preferred channels list?

I'm still having lip synch issues (time shifting, which is what I do almost exclusively lately). I tried an internal IDE drive, and my 500GB internal SATA drive (on the old 3512a Silicon Image controller you think is crap) and a couple of external HDs (USB, 2TB and 500GB). After several Rew/FF presses, often as not the synch is lousy and I have to press pause several times to resynch. Gosh, can you give me a clue what I have to do to rid myself of this pest of an issue? Could it have something to do with my 1280x720 frame rate? I use that when using my 720p (1280x720 native) PJ. Come to think of it I usually watch news using my 19" 1280x1024 LCD, and lip synch would be more noticeable watching news, but I am not aware of an issue with that, so I guess it is maybe just happening at the 720p res. Any chance I can work around the problem?
post #11984 of 13024 Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is that what's created when you save your preferred channels list?
Correct. Click Channel List and you have the option to Save or Load a Channel List file (xxxx.MCL). Comes in handy for channel management.

Quote:
I'm still having lip synch issues (time shifting, which is what I do almost exclusively lately).
I use 1920 x 1080 all the time and have Lip Synch problems from time to time and the problem occurs after several F/F x X (or R/W x X). Sometimes a pause/play will correct the problem. Sometimes I have to dump the app and reload. A lot the time I watch CBS shows that have been edited with VideoReDo+ straight through and have no problems (no need to F/F or R/W). Never have used the Time Shifting feature.
post #11985 of 13024 Old 03-08-2011, 09:12 AM

I dunno, Muse, the Timeshifting feature that MIT implemented was supposed to be "impossible" on the MDP's Janus chipset so it's not too surprising that there may be PC configurations on which it has problems. If you're spending most of your viewing time using that feature, perhaps you'd be better off to invest in a more modern solution, such as the TViX M6620N or S1. These boxes cost about the same as the MDP-100 did when it appeared (i.e., less than setting up an HTPC), use a more powerful ASIC from Realtek, deliver silky smooth playback at any resolution, and consume less power than any HTPC. And I have never seen any lip-sync issues on them.

post #11986 of 13024 Old 03-08-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Never heard of those boxes, Terry, but I'll investigate. Thanks! I keep hoping I'll find a solution. Does everyone who timeshifts have nagging lip synch issues? If not, I have to wonder if there isn't a way to eliminate it without abandoning the MDP cards. I still haven't installed my 130 cards, am using my old 120 cards. Is there a chance I'll have better luck with the 130s? I could try my older less powered midtower, too. Tinker, tinker tinker. My higher priority right now is setting up my network which includes a server machine. I have all the hardware and software, have to make some head scratching decisions like what HD to have in what machine, what OS to install. Has not much to do with my mid tower machines, just my laptops. Including 3 Thinkpads I have 5 functioning PCs right now.
post #11987 of 13024 Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Does everyone who timeshifts have nagging lip synch issues? ... I still haven't installed my 130 cards, am using my old 120 cards. Is there a chance I'll have better luck with the 130s?
I've used MDP-130 since 2006 and have never experienced lip-sync issues. But, then again, I've never used it to record in timeshifting mode. I set mine to record in the background, minimized to the system tray. I play back the files using the MDP-130 only after recording is finished.

post #11988 of 13024 Old 03-08-2011, 01:50 PM

I don't recall ever seeing lip-sync problems during Timeshifting here either on any of the several MDP-equipped PCs I've used over the past several years. There have been other issues though (such as needing to turn off the desktop overlay) that clearly indicate how close to the edge the MDP is when performing that trick.

Again, if you're mainly timeshifting rather than watching recordings I think that you'd be happier overall with something like the latestcrop of TViX PVRs. (There are other such options too, but the TViX is the one with which I have the most direct experience)

post #11989 of 13024 Old 03-08-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Maybe already mentioned. Don't use the 120 much any more but never had lip sync issues with either recording or such features as pause, rewind etc. I did have playback issues with the old HiPix card which turned out to be Norton AV interfering with the transport stream. If I remember it was an audio stutter with occasional video pixelation. White listing the file type didn't help. No idea if the current NAV has similar issues or not. I've used Antivir ever since. Don't know if this would help but it's easy enough to try.

Les
post #11990 of 13024 Old 03-09-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been using Antivir exclusively on all my PCs for a while now.

I noticed lip synch issues in 1280 x 1024 res, so it's not exclusively a 1280 x 720 res issue.

I suppose I can try turning overlay off. I haven't experimented much with various options to see if any are implicated in the lip sync problems.

Since you've not seen lip synch issues, Terry, I'm thinking it must have to do with the PCs you're using, in particular the motherboard. Well, that comes to mind, what else could be involved? I'm using a daughterboard, as I suppose you are in those PCs.

I suppose a workaround I could try if I get desperate enough is to install my other MDP card in my 2nd midtower and timeshift by doing a standard recording and using the MyHD app on the 2nd system to play the recording being made by the first system. Kind of kludgy, but I suppose that would work. A bypoduct of this experiment would be to see if the other system has lip sync issues.
post #11991 of 13024 Old 03-12-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I suppose I can try turning overlay off. I haven't experimented much with various options to see if any are implicated in the lip sync problems.

Aha! Turning off overlay seems to have eliminated the lip synch problem. Ten minutes or so of viewing timeshifted programming indicates this. Farewell overlay, I don't need it!
post #11992 of 13024 Old 03-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Thanks for confirming the fix.

post #11993 of 13024 Old 03-13-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for confirming the fix.

Within 5 minutes of posting there was a moment when there was a bad synch (maybe 1/4 second), but hitting pause a time or two and it cleared up. This has me thinking that sometimes it might not have a perfect synch, but it's so close it doesn't bother me. After all I'm so used to the video and audio being out of synch a great deal of the time I have come to accept it when the delta is sufficiently small (I was a wiz in theoretical calculus!). I'll continue to monitor, of course, but for now I'm thinking that the problem appears to be 98% gone. This is after just one extended timeshift. I've got a timeshift going right now and am about to turn on my PJ and go from the beginning. My buffer folder is on an external 2TB 80% empty USB HD.
post #11994 of 13024 Old 03-13-2011, 03:14 PM

The fact that turning off the overlay helped indicates that your PC's hw is being stretched by this activity (as are many) so it's not too surprising that the issue isn't completely vanquished.

post #11995 of 13024 Old 03-14-2011, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The only time I get lip-sync issues here it has been the station at fault,confirmed by going up/down on the channel selector. Though now my outdoor antenna has crapped out,traced it to the amp...running on indoor but it only gets six or seven towers plus subchannels not the 35 I get with the outdoor, though that may change in August when CDN stations do their full switchover[some are dual NTSC/ATSC others are still NTSC]. One goddamn thing after another.....hope I can find a new part

EDIT: before I went shopping plugged it in again and it worked !

To Muse, in Windows, use your Task Manager to see your resource use, check processes for ram/cpu hogs Spybot's TeaTimer is a real hog...so much so that I uninstalled it from the bedroom machine. That's all I can suggest without seeing your unit.
post #11996 of 13024 Old 03-14-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post

To Muse, in Windows, use your Task Manager to see your resource use, check processes for ram/cpu hogs Spybot's TeaTimer is a real hog...so much so that I uninstalled it from the bedroom machine. That's all I can suggest without seeing your unit.

Thanks. I'm going to try that.

One of the more annoying things that MyHD does has me wondering now if there's a way to prevent this:

I have Full Time Timeshifting enabled. Suppose (like right now) I started a timeshift at 4PM that goes to 5:30PM and I have another timeshift programmed on a different channel that starts at 5:30PM. If I start watching the first timeshift, the one started at 4:00PM from the beginning at 5:20, I'll be 10 minutes into the 4PM program when MyHD changes channels and starts recording timeshift buffer files for the new channel. That's fine except for the fact that I'm not left watching the first timeshift, 10 minutes in, I'm instead pushed to "live" on the new channel. Is there a way to prevent this? I've lived with this inconvenience for years but figure there may be a way around it. To boot, I find that on my machine I can't drag and drop the position pointer of the MyHD control panel just anywhere. It invariably jumps very far from where I drop it. Many times persistence is no help and I have to resort to changing my file play setup to give Rewind a 100 second jump instead of my usual 10 second jump. After reaching my desired play position, I have to set it back to 10 seconds. All very annoying especially because I very often am not at my keyboard/mouse in my viewing position.
post #11997 of 13024 Old 03-14-2011, 06:09 PM

Muse, most of us have solved those problems by using a second (or third or fourth...) tuner (HDHomerun and Fusion units are popular*) to do the captures and then we watch the recorded files while they're still in progress on MyHD (or TViX).

*Edit: These aren't the cheapest available, but they and MyHD all may be scheduled in coordinated fashion using CW_EPG.

post #11998 of 13024 Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Muse, most of us have solved those problems by using a second (or third or fourth...) tuner (HDHomerun and Fusion units are popular*) to do the captures and then we watch the recorded files while they're still in progress on MyHD (or TViX).

*Edit: These aren't the cheapest available, but they and MyHD all may be scheduled in coordinated fashion using CW_EPG.

Does that type of solution require having 3 PCI cards? The MyHD card + daughterboard + another card makes 3. The biggest roadblock I see to upgrading my non-laptop PCs is the need for a slew of PCI slots. My current main PC has a PCI hardware modem and a PCI sound card. If I could, I'd probably also like to have a PCI SATA controller card. Well, maybe. Whenever I look at mobos I rarely see many PCI slots anymore.
post #11999 of 13024 Old 03-15-2011, 01:32 PM

None of them necessarily involves a PCI slot. HDHR is an external box connected via Ethernet to either your LAN or your PC (in the latter case, you can use a USB-Ethernet adapter). Fusion tuners come in both PCI and USB flavors. The TViX is connected to your LAN.

post #12000 of 13024 Old 03-16-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

None of them necessarily involves a PCI slot. HDHR is an external box connected via Ethernet to either your LAN or your PC (in the latter case, you can use a USB-Ethernet adapter). Fusion tuners come in both PCI and USB flavors. The TViX is connected to your LAN.

Terry, since you've never had the problem I have to think there's a way I can eliminate it, perhaps with a different motherboard. What motherboard(s) have you used with your MyHD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page