13Likes

post #12031 of 13024 Old 04-25-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

The machine that the MyHD is installed in is the one that must be reduced to one CPU and Hyper threading turned off.

The others can be as powerful as you wish, but if you transfered the MyHD card to another PC that one would become the one with one CPU limitation and you could unlock the former.

SHF

Ah, I didn't know about the multi processor breakout on the Performance tab of Task Manager. I see it on this laptop, which has an Intel Core Duo 1.6GHz CPU.

How would I turn off hyper threading on the HTPC machine? It's a single core:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (socket 754, FSB1600, E6, Venice, 90nm, L2-512KB)

Maybe it doesn't support hyper threading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12032 of 13024 Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

IIRC, you do it in the BIOS for Intel machines.
post #12033 of 13024 Old 04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Muse, if your HTPC is only single core you needn't worry about turning off any CPUs. (Otherwise, see this (archived) post)

The SUBST command is indeed a DOS command and could be put into your HTPC's Autoexec.bat file. I don't know for sure that it would workaround the MyHD networked-drive limitation or not.

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12034 of 13024 Old 04-25-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Ah, I didn't know about the multi processor breakout on the Performance tab of Task Manager. I see it on this laptop, which has an Intel Core Duo 1.6GHz CPU.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (socket 754, FSB1600, E6, Venice, 90nm, L2-512KB)

Maybe it doesn't support hyper threading?

Hi,

Looking up your "AMD Athlon 64 3200+" CPU I see no words about "Hyper Threading" so perhaps skip down to the test.

I may have gotten AMD mixed up with Intel's marketing terms. If you see a single wide window for CPU Usage History to the right then you are good to go. Compare with task managers's performance tab on your Dual Core Server machine, it should be different, perhaps like this:

Again, a single wide window is what is required.

A simple test is to copy a DTV capture to the desired disk using Windows Explorer. Then drag and drop the remote file onto MyHD's Icon using Windows Explorer. If it works then try your other tests. On my HTPC when I drop a file onto MyHD's Icon it fails and has always failed. (HT on and always has been.)

If you are running XP then the "03-27-06, 02:45 PM" post is a possible way to go if you cannot get into the BIOS to turn stuff off. I would need to both select "1" core and turn HT Technology off on mine.

For Vista and W7 if you cannot get into the BIOS then the best and only safe way to go is to use DualBootPRO:

http://www.dualbootpro.org/index.php

Remember the MyHD is a early 2005 product and designed for what appears to me to be a broken version of windows as far as networking.

SHF
LL
post #12035 of 13024 Old 04-25-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post

I may have gotten AMD mixed up with Intel's marketing terms.

Hyperthreading applies only to Intel chips.
Quote:

If you are running XP then the "03-27-06, 02:45 PM" post is a possible way to go....

The Boot.ini method works for all Windows versions, IIRC, not just XP. (But I have to say that I've not tried it in WV or W7)
Quote:

I would need to both select "1" core and turn HT Technology off on mine.

Not true. Using the /onecpu parameter turns off HT in Windows regardless of the BIOS settings.

EDIT: Having said all that, I'm not at all sure that Muse's issue has anything to do with multicore processors (esp. since his is a single core chip)!

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
post #12036 of 13024 Old 04-25-2011, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Hyperthreading applies only to Intel chips.

OK, I did not know AMD had so poor hardware designers. Seymore Cray had an example of a computer that did several things at once way back in the 1960's. I am very familiar with both the hardware and software as I worked for CDC.

Quote:

The Boot.ini method works for all Windows versions, IIRC, not just XP. (But I have to say that I've not tried it in WV or W7)Not true. Using the /onecpu parameter turns off HT in Windows regardless of the BIOS settings.

I am afraid I have you on this. Windows Vista and W7 do not have "Boot.ini". The only ways to limit the CPU and Hyper threading is either by entering the BIOS and changing the parameters like I did or use "DualBootPRO". A binary file is now used in place of "Boot.ini" and MS does not provide safe tools. I have checked and DualBootPRO has a "Limit CPU's" option. That may also apply to "Hyper Threading".

?? Is the "Not true" an edit, are you saying that it does not work "for all Windows versions" or that you have tried it?

Quote:

EDIT: Having said all that, I'm not at all sure that Muse's issue has anything to do with multicore processors (esp. since his is a single core chip)!

If he can play a capture using MyHD from a drive on the network then that is proof that he has only one CPU in that system.

I had two hours until the next CW_EPG or HDHR recording so I entered my BIOS and turned Hyper Threading off and selected "1" Core.

This is the result of Windows Explorer's "Tools/Map Network Drive".

"\\\\BA-0708A0\\TV_Capture\\MyHD Capture\\KGO-HD-0425"

I then tested playing back a file back from my NAS with MyHD. It worked just fine. Normally it does NOT!

I then changed the directory for MyHD captures and clicked on the record button on MyHD's controller.

Upon checking my NAS I discovered that it was working just fine. So the MetaFAQ and Digitial Connections MyHD FAQ need to be updated to say that with one CPU and no Hyper threading you can both playback and record captures to network files.

Quote:

I had the thought to change the MyHD Buffer directory to one on a network share, ... MyHD refused saying that network drives are not supported. Is it possible to work around this

Muse did not say clearly (To me at least) what he was trying to do when he got the error message.

When I tried to change MyHD's Time Shift buffers to a directory on my NAS I got the following error box":

MIT's programmers must have thought that the read / write over a network would be too slow for timeshifting. That is no longer true IMHO. But the MyHD software just will not allow it under any conditions.

SHF
LL
post #12037 of 13024 Old 04-25-2011, 07:15 PM

Nani, Muse was talking about using a LAN volume for his Timeshift Buffer. Most of us already knew that MyHD has no problems with normal files on LAN volumes as long as you have a single CPU configuration.

My "not true" referred to your assertion of needing two steps to enable LAN volume functions (in WinXP and earlier at least) for MyHD. All you need for those earlier OSes, I know for certain, is the "/onecpu" parameter. I expect that the same may be true for the /onecpu equivalent in WV and W7...whatever that may be. I haven't looked into it.

Again: This is likely irrelevant to Muse's original question.

post #12038 of 13024 Old 04-25-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I am very familiar with both the hardware and software as I worked for CDC.

I worked there too, first in Bloomington and then in Arden Hills. I even saw Bill Norris a few times. I worked on the Cyber 2000, which was CDCs last mainframe.

In Win7, if you run MSConfig and go to the Boot tab, you can set the number of CPUs by clicking Advanced Options.

-Dave
post #12039 of 13024 Old 04-25-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

I worked there too, first in Bloomington and then in Arden Hills. I even saw Bill Norris a few times. I worked on the Cyber 2000, which was CDCs last mainframe.

I have been in the building that they made disk drives the size of washing machines many times. (Fry's current location in Sunnyvale, CA)

Quote:

In Win7, if you run MSConfig and go to the Boot tab, you can set the number of CPUs by clicking Advanced Options.

When I looked at that yesterday I missed that. But DualBoot PRO does it so much cleaner.

Quote:

-Dave

Quote:

Again: This is likely irrelevant to Muse's original question.

We both are twisting each others words to match our understanding.

SHF
post #12040 of 13024 Old 04-25-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

When I tried to change MyHD's Time Shift buffers to a directory on my NAS I got the following error box":

MIT's programmers must have thought that the read / write over a network would be too slow for timeshifting. That is no longer true IMHO. But the MyHD software just will not allow it under any conditions.

SHF

Yes, that's the exact image I saw and I assumed as you do that the MyHD developers nixed having the buffer directory on a network drive, perhaps unnecessarily. That's why I asked if anyone had found a workaround. It's not a huge issue it would just be nice if it worked. I must admit, I was pretty shocked to see that message. Well, I got more than I bargained for -- time shifting wasn't a feature when I bought the card. It's what I do with it almost all the time now.
post #12041 of 13024 Old 04-26-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One of the antenna connections went bad on my MyHD120 card (I was using both), and when an AVS member was selling his used MyHD130+daughterboard, I bought it from him, but I haven't installed it yet. The MyHD120 also is with daughterboard.

Can I just swap out the MyHD120/daughterboard for the MyHD130/daughterboard seemlessly? Will the MyHD app not care and retain all of its settings including preferred channel list and recurring capture settings? Or do I have to backup the MyHD data and basically start from scratch and somehow restore the data?
post #12042 of 13024 Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

OCan I just swap out the MyHD120/daughterboard for the MyHD130/daughterboard seemlessly?

Save your Channel List as xxxxx.MCL and Capture Settings yyyyyy.MRL before installing the MDP-130. After you install it Windows will report that it has found new hardware so you may have to install the drivers again then you can Load your Channel List and Capture Settings.
post #12043 of 13024 Old 04-26-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Save your Channel List as xxxxx.MCL and Capture Settings yyyyyy.MRL before installing the MDP-130. After you install it Windows will report that it has found new hardware so you may have to install the drivers again then you can Load your Channel List and Capture Settings.
Thanks. I may have to scan for channels again because I'll have two antennas attached now. Plus I'm sure the results will be different after the 3 or so years that second antenna hasn't been attached. I'll save my preferred channel list but should add to it now.
post #12044 of 13024 Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The trouble with those old Intel socket 478 chips is that they are way too power hungry. You can build an HTPC today with better performance and half the power draw or less.
Can it be done with 4-6 PCI slots? Can you suggest some motherboards? TIA!
post #12045 of 13024 Old 04-26-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can it be done with 4-6 PCI slots? Can you suggest some motherboards? TIA!
They are a little long in the tooth these days, but Newegg still sells socket 775 boards with five PCI slots:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

I picked up similar board at Fry's a few years ago for only $70, and it worked great with MyHD (except of course for the mult-core issues). It is still working great today with Win 7 64-bit and two Fusion tuners.

-Dave
post #12046 of 13024 Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They are a little long in the tooth these days, but Newegg still sells socket 775 boards with five PCI slots:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

I picked up similar board at Fry's a few years ago for only $70, and it worked great with MyHD (except of course for the mult-core issues). It is still working great today with Win 7 64-bit and two Fusion tuners.

-Dave
Thanks. So if you run this with a MyHD in it you run it single core?
post #12047 of 13024 Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. So if you run this with a MyHD in it you run it single core?
I have two 130's, and in that computer I only used it to record to the local hard drive. Therefore, I left all four cores enabled. I removed the 130 when I upgraded to a 64-bit OS.

The other 130 is in an old nForce2 Athlon 3200+ (single core) running XP, and it is connected to my TV. I still use it on occasion, but mostly I use a TViX these days. For me, the MyHD era is mostly over.

-Dave
post #12048 of 13024 Old 04-27-2011, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

For me, the MyHD era is mostly over.

For me, too. And I only recently got started!

About the only time I use it now is if the cable goes out, and I want to record an OTA broadcast. Or if the DVR is scheduled to record two shows at the same time, and I want to record a third at that same time.
post #12049 of 13024 Old 05-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have 3 MyHD 130's. 1 starts 4 seconds late when recording.
Any ideas or tweaks?
1st recording starts 4 sec late...stops on time...126MB
2nd starts 8 sec late ....stops on time...115MB
3rd starts 6 sec late...122MB
post #12050 of 13024 Old 05-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

For me, the MyHD era is mostly over.

Not for me. I'm not trying to be combative here, just chiming in to say that I'm still rocking the old Intel 865 chipset with Pentium 4 (Northwood core) processor, WinXP 32-bit SP3, and MyHD. With a HDHomerun (dual tuner) unit, I've been successfully recording up to 3 shows at once. And the MyHD card is the best (for me) with respect to playback of MPEG2 HD. Nothing else can play back OTA HD recordings along with the Closed Caption data... that I'm aware of, at least.

And, now in its 7th year, this thread continues to be active. Long live the MDP-130

post #12051 of 13024 Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree about closed caption support in MyHD, it is a great feature. However, here in the SF Bay area, the NBC and FOX stations made some changes that stop CC from functioning properly with MyHD. There are some odd twists. For FOX, CC works for local shows like the news, but not for network shows. For NBC, CC does not work OTA, but it does work if I tune the same station from cable.

I now run all my TP files through CCExtrator, which creates an SRT file that provides subtitles when TP files are played back on TViX and Popcorn Hour players, along with software players like Total Media Theater. It's an extra step, but I like the end result better than CC on MyHD. VLC also does a pretty nice job supporting CC natively (without an SRT file).

-Dave
post #12052 of 13024 Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgharrin View Post

I have 3 MyHD 130's. 1 starts 4 seconds late when recording.
Any ideas or tweaks?
1st recording starts 4 sec late...stops on time...126MB
2nd starts 8 sec late ....stops on time...115MB
3rd starts 6 sec late...122MB

Likely these differences between PCs have to do with details of their Windows configurations. If the late start is a problem you can use CW_EPG's padding feature to start recordings early. Alternatively you can bump the PCs' clocks ahead by a few seconds--but then you'll lose the bits at the end instead and you'll have to redo the bump every time that Windows does its clock update.

post #12053 of 13024 Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi,

Since I have been using my MyHD on W7 (32 Bit) the overlay window has been shrinking each time MyHD is started.

I sized the overlay window larger the other day it started to grow each time MyHD was started.

Very Strange.

And FusionHDTV has suddenly decided to "Always be On TOP".

I need to find the time to go back to XP! But that has been delayed as I needed to get a new laptop and within three hours after it arrived from China I was on the phone to Sony demanding a rebate for them lying about a feature, and got it.

SHF
post #12054 of 13024 Old 06-07-2011, 10:38 AM

I haven't seen the always-on-top thing (although I have seen W7 widgets that are set always-on-top fail to be). The overlay problem is easy to fix. Just turn it off.

post #12055 of 13024 Old 06-20-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been using a 19" LCD for several years with my desktop. This LCD is around 4x3, so the picture I get is lopped off at the sides if the content is 16x9. For serious viewing, I use a projector whose native resolution is 720p, which is about 16x9 and when I go this route I get approximately the aspect ratio of broadcast HDTV, I figure.

I figure I'd get close to the correct aspect ratio with this 22" LED display:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX22...pr_product_top

If I get that, would I be able to configure the display to handle the 720p resolution of the MyHD 130/daughterboard or another equivalent resolution? I know the MyHD130 doesn't put out 1080p. Is there such a thing as OTA 1080p HDTV?
post #12056 of 13024 Old 06-20-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:

If I get that, would I be able to configure the display to handle the 720p resolution of the MyHD 130/daughterboard or another equivalent resolution? I know the MyHD130 doesn't put out 1080p. Is there such a thing as OTA 1080p HDTV?

You should be able to output the native OTA resolution: 720p or 1080i. 1080p OTA does not exist.

You should have also downloaded the manual first.

In this case, what you should be able to do and what this monitor will handle are not equal. It is a computer monitor only. It does not handle 720p nor 1080i.

My first clue was it does not have HDMI as an input.

Get a monitor that will handle both computer and "consumer" video via an HDMI input. It should also have VGA and DVI-A/D inputs.

The monitor that I have handles 720p and 1080i via any of the inputs. I don't have a daughter board, so all of the computers use the VGA connector (via a KVM) and I use the MyHD-130 built-in VGA selection to output either the computer video or the OTA video.

The Blu-ray player is connected to the HDMI input. I also have a separate STB for OTA and that is connected to the DVI-A input.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #12057 of 13024 Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Is there such a thing as OTA 1080p HDTV?

No, ABC & Fox = 720p, CBS, NBC, PBS and others = 1080i

Quote:

If I get that, would I be able to configure the display to handle the 720p resolution of the MyHD 130/daughterboard or another equivalent resolution? I know the MyHD130 doesn't put out 1080p.

I have two ASUS 23" LCD's that are several years old and they can handle 720p and 1080i. Be aware, the MDP-130 has a scaler. I set the 130 Resolution to NATIVE and the Ratio to AUTO and let the monitor do the scaling. Have never tried to see which device (130 or monitor(s)) has the better scaler.
post #12058 of 13024 Old 06-20-2011, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

My first clue was it does not have HDMI as an input.

Get a monitor that will handle both computer and "consumer" video via an HDMI input. It should also have VGA and DVI-A/D inputs.

See my post above, I use the DVI input on all my monitors.
post #12059 of 13024 Old 06-20-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

No, ABC & Fox = 720p, CBS, NBC, PBS and others = 1080i

NOTE: Many PBS stations, and I mean many, down convert the 1080i to 720p so that they can get some bits back to support the many SD streams they also have.

Quote:

I set the 130 Resolution to NATIVE and the Ratio to AUTO and let the monitor do the scaling.

That is what I do as well.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
post #12060 of 13024 Old 06-20-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

See my post above, I use the DVI input on all my monitors.

As far as the monitor is concerned, it doesn't matter if the VGA or DVI input is used. The supported resolutions normally apply to both inputs.

If the display has HDMI, it forces the monitor to support the "consumer" video resolutions. Which means that the VGA and DVI inputs will support those resolutions.

In this case, the OP's selection of a monitor is that it is computer only. No "consumer" video resolution are supported.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page