ebo
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
When they updated the app to accommodate timeshifting I was thoroughly delighted and have used it almost exclusively to timeshift. I have an HD Homerun but have yet to get it working.
When you do get the HDHR working, if the recordings are ordinary MPEG-2 transport streams (true with most but not all recording software) and accessible to the MyHD, try using the MyHD to watch HDHR recordings in progress. I found MyHD did the best job of any hardware or software player at dealing with a file that was constantly being added to, allowing FF/RW/Pause even beyond the point that had been recorded when playback started. So it had all the advantages of timeshift with none of the drawbacks.

A bit OT for this group, but I'm not a fan of SiliconDust's DVR software, which requires a near-constant connection to their servers to make recordings. I use CW_EPG with a Schedules Direct subscription that needs an internet connection for about a minute each day, and if you lose internet for several days it'll still keep using the schedules it already downloaded (about 12 days IIRC).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12872 of 13024 Old 03-11-2018, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 40
What Everett (EBO) said. Also, CW_EPG is ideal for timeshift-style viewing of HDHR recordings with MyHD because it gives you the option to use ".tp" file extensions so the MyHD software recognizes them as video sources.

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
post #12873 of 13024 Old 03-14-2018, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
What Everett (EBO) said. Also, CW_EPG is ideal for timeshift-style viewing of HDHR recordings with MyHD because it gives you the option to use ".tp" file extensions so the MyHD software recognizes them as video sources.
Yup. I plan to do all this stuff, was well aware of how well the HDHR works with MyHD. I just have to tackle it. Some hardware and OS upgrading to do before I get to it.

Meantime, my homespun timeshifting technique with MyHD in tandem with my workaround for no S3 Suspend on my HDTV machine keeps me going. I posted here (in this thread, I think, probably around 3+ years ago) the code I use in Visual Foxpro to rename the files in my timeshift buffer after I delete parts from it... anywhere in it. It keeps MyHD happy. Without it, it refuses to work in timeshift mode after deleting parts of the buffer. The function merely looks at the files left in the buffer and renames them starting with 0 and numbers them sequentially. I wrote another function recently that does some arithmetic for me. If I watch a long timeshift and want to quit it and resume at a later time and not have to find where I am in the buffer, I feed it the total time and the time elapsed and the function spits out the number of hours and minutes (and total minutes) I need to delete from the start of the buffer. I then run the other function to renumber them starting from 0 and next time I open MyHD I'm good to go from where I left off! I used this to good effect to watch the Winter Olympics, the last week of which I recorded with MyHD in timeshifting mode (on again, off again) while I was out of town. I finished watching a few days ago.

Last edited by Muse; 03-14-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12874 of 13024 Old 03-22-2018, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[QUOTE=browncoat;55796898]
Now, a good, sorta on-topic question for the crowd. Has anyone spotted any ATSC 3.0 hardware yet? Besides the TVs that are in the test areas.
/QUOTE]

Well, its starting in my area, pretty soon, at least within the next three years the MyHD will be obsolete, maybe I'll get lucky and still receive the Canadian stations, as they were all pretty slow to adopt ATSC 1.0 and none have gone to using sub-channels except Global [Shaw Broadcasting] but 41.2 is just a copy of 41.1 RF right now. When CFTO [owned by Bell Media] went down to RF9, they actually CUT transmission power, I haven't received them in four-five years, even though the initial scan was a strong signal, giving me another reason to hate Toronto. Its like "to hell with anyone outside of Toronto, let them get cable or buy Bell Expressvu™ satellite TV. " Sucks big time, at least for National News. Can still get CITY-DT RF-44, but it is too Toronto-centric and too P.C. even for my taste.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...d.cgi?2120,224

You might have to scroll downward to the posts that begin in March, if it doesn't take you right to the relevant post/announcement.
post #12875 of 13024 Old 03-22-2018, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 122
[QUOTE=browncoat;55903932]
Now, a good, sorta on-topic question for the crowd. Has anyone spotted any ATSC 3.0 hardware yet? Besides the TVs that are in the test areas.
/QUOTE]

I am sure I did as I watched ~ 100% of the Winter Olympics and South Korea has deployed ATSC 3.0. It was not as obvious as the BSOD in the LAST China Olympics, but things just looked better when screens were shown.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdt...l#post34107042

ATSC 3.0 will make not just MyHD obsolete but all ATSC 1.0 tuners.

But not to worry, there will be lighthouse stations broadcasting ATSC 1.0 long after ATSC 3.0 has really taken over.

There is one ATSC 3.0 tuner on the market NOW for ~ $800.00.

It is hard to tell if ATSC 3.0 will take over fast or slow and end fast or slow.

I am betting on fast as more streams will be able to be carried on one transmitter, KCNZ having three share stations is betting on it.

SHF
post #12876 of 13024 Old 03-22-2018, 05:00 PM

Well, I'm afraid of losing my favourite Buffalo station WNLO, otherwise known as CW 23 because the CW has the bulk of my favourite shows, like Supernatural.
Another long time member has posted in the thread that the new Grand Island tower will be very directional away from Canada.

Last edited by browncoat; 03-24-2018 at 10:39 PM.
post #12877 of 13024 Old 03-22-2018, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
Well, I'm afraid of losing my favourite Buffalo station WNLO, otherwise known as CW 23 because the CW has the bulk of my favourite shows, like Supernatural.
Another long time member has posted in the thread that the new Grand Island tower will be very directional away from Canada.
Have you not heard that OTA will soon be dead having been taken replaced by Internet streaming?

One European network turned all their transmitters off years ago in favor of the Internet.

OTA is mainly provided to get "Cable Must Carry" status even though the stations do not say that. A local ABC station broadcast a primer on indoor OTA reception recently which was very strange.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 03-22-2018 at 05:13 PM.
post #12878 of 13024 Old 03-22-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
Have you not heard that OTA will soon be dead having been taken replaced by Internet streaming?
One European network turned all their transmitters off years ago in favour of the Internet.
SHF
1. Hardly, in US and Canada many, including myself, still have data caps on home internet.
2. Europe is different, not only are they using DVB-T and DVB-T2 but they pay far less for internet that is faster than ours as well as being unlimited.

I'm paying 84$ a month with a 175 GiB limit before overages charges on a 50Mips line, many of my European acquaintances say that is outrageous because they're paying less than half that for four times the speed, but the ISPs, big and small claim they can't do it for less because Canada is such a large land mass.
I said before, streaming is for noobs, that's why I pirate. Because of the move to laptops and tablets, the interest in building has diminished, so motherboard manufacturers seem to be catering to the gamer crowd now, or at least I can't find any good general use mobos any more. So my legacy stuff may have to be boxed, while I hunt for peripherals that can reside in PCIe x1 and x2 slots, very few still offer the regular PCI slots.
Anyhow, with this new CPU I just installed, I can play 1080p HEVC now without stuttering because the extra core makes all the difference, when I tried to revert the Sempron 145 back to stock, that killed it, because by trial and error, the original core was the one that went bad and I was running on the one that was unlocked. To boot normally again I had to clear the CMOS. HEVC files, if you ever noticed, are smaller than the equivalent x264 mp4/mkv files and HEVC is what ATSC 3.0 plan to use for 4K broadcasts. The Sempron is toast and I'm down to just the one now in the PVR/XP box. To add to the previous, now one has to pay attention to the mobo specs to see which only has support for W10 and which can still run XP. So I may have to break down and buy a real DVD player, at least there are a choice now of up-scaling units.
post #12879 of 13024 Old 03-23-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...motherboard manufacturers seem to be catering to the gamer crowd now, or at least I can't find any good general use mobos any more.
Newegg reduced me down to one MB the other day.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16813132938R

Even though ASUS makes Gamer models only, I have has great success using then for my HTPC(s). I just do not do any of the speed ups.

SHF
post #12880 of 13024 Old 03-23-2018, 11:57 AM

Having given up on PCI tuners (except for the legacy MyHD system that I keep running for testing to see if MSFT ever fixes the W10 memory-leak issue in XP compatibility mode) I've gone over to the likes of this little fanless beauty. It has enough muscle to run full 1080p video (and of course far more than needed for capture recordings) and sips power from the wall even when awake.

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
post #12881 of 13024 Old 03-23-2018, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
When they start 'radiating' US with 5G and whatever is to follow; will there even be a need for Cable or OTA TV?

Chris C
post #12882 of 13024 Old 03-23-2018, 01:12 PM

Nope, you'll just have to close your eyes (in undarkened rooms) to watch the projection on your retinas from your 5G-enabled implant.
ccrider2 likes this.

post #12883 of 13024 Old 03-23-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Newegg reduced me down to one MB the other day.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16813132938R
Even though ASUS makes Gamer models only, I have has great success using them for my HTPC(s). I just do not do any of the speed ups.
SHF
Also available @newegg .ca No reviews on the US side but two reviewers on the CDN side aren't happy.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...-938-_-Product

See note on OS compatibility, they all have that nowadays.
Seems like a good general board with PCI, if you want to pay Intel prices.

Quote:
Having given up on PCI tuners (except for the legacy MyHD system that I keep running for testing to see if MSFT ever fixes the W10 memory-leak issue in XP compatibility mode) I've gone over to the likes of this little fanless beauty. It has enough muscle to run full 1080p video (and of course far more than needed for capture recordings) and sips power from the wall even when awake.
So, how do you use it? As just a daily [mundane] driver?

The Nano seems perfect for my neighbour, George, who is a complete techno-phobic and doesn't understand what I'm talking about when I talk computers.
I'll use the "Where to Buy" tab to see if it can be had locally.
For myself, I have 7TB of conventional storage with 500 GiB of work space and I like it in one place, non-networked and it may grow to 9TB if I replace the dedicated movie HDD from 2TB to another 4TB, because I just can't throw anything out and a bunch I haven't viewed yet from the past year. Very few have been movies that I 'watch once, then delete'. Hence my need/want for big cases. The smallest drive being the 60GiB ADATA SSD boot drive and you can't get them that size any more. One 30GiB Kingston SSD [boot] in the PVR and a second Kingston 30GiB SSD boot drive removed from the old Pentium 775 with XP still on it.
post #12884 of 13024 Old 03-23-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
So, how do you use it? As just a daily [mundane] driver?
Mine is a test bed for CW_EPG using W10 Insider Program builds. It also wakes up for a couple of minutes every hour to log that hour's data from my home energy and PV-system monitors. I have an older version (AD10) that serves as my production CW_EPG platform running W7. Both systems have internal SSD for OS and paging. The newer one's 240-GB SSD is big enough also to serve as the first destination for all TV captures, which are processed each morning using VAP (a VideoReDo add on) to remove commercials and transfer the files to an attached 4-TB USB drive. Note that the USB drive stays asleep during (HDHR) captures. The main HTPC records captures directly to an external USB drive and VAP then transfers the processed files to a second USB drive (both are 4-TB 2.5" WD drives). Either of them can play TS recordings using VLC or FusionHDTV USB tuner software, but my primary playback is via a now-ancient TViX M-6620. (A more modern solution would be to use the streamer in a DVD player)

post #12885 of 13024 Old 03-23-2018, 03:58 PM

I was looking for the emo for blown mind, but this will do.

Sometimes wish I would've bought a TViX as well.

Last edited by browncoat; 03-23-2018 at 04:01 PM.
post #12886 of 13024 Old 03-29-2018, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Order checking help Please

ASUS PRIME Z270-K LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboards - Intel

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAD6H5GN9490

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15D-16GVR

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231888

Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819117827

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is a vast overkill for a HTPC but I want to run Hyper-V Virtual Machines also (Remote Desktop if possible).

My new W10 laptop runs Vista on Hyper-V too slow.

TIA for reporting any mistakes I made, almost $900.00.

MyHD and Fusion Tuner cards. PCI or PCI Express, I have both.

No Graphics card needed I understand.

W7 is supported contrary to Newegg Website, but do I need a i6 processor which does not seem to offered?

Order Placed!
If necessary I will purchase a lesser CPU to use for a couple of years.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 03-29-2018 at 07:00 PM.
post #12887 of 13024 Old 03-29-2018, 09:51 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You might have a problem. According to this List of Intel Core i7 microprocessors, Coffee Lake is 8th generation. The Z270-K ad says "Not Compatible with Intel 8th Gen CPUs."
post #12888 of 13024 Old 03-30-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
You might have a problem. According to this List of Intel Core i7 microprocessors, Coffee Lake is 8th generation. The Z270-K ad says "Not Compatible with Intel 8th Gen CPUs."
You were correct, I finally got through to ASUS and I now have canceled the CPU and Memory original order and placed a new one including:

Intel Core i7-6700 Skylake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I76700 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819117560

That appears to be generation 6 that Microsoft "might" allow Windows 7 updates.

Thanks for the great heads up.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 03-30-2018 at 05:02 PM.
post #12889 of 13024 Old 03-30-2018, 11:02 PM

I haven't had time to research but wonder if this is also applicable to AMD, which I've planned to stick with.
post #12890 of 13024 Old 04-03-2018, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Windows XP to be updated again, for five years!

Windows XP, my Weather Station I plugged in the WiFi card the other day to back up the Weather Software as it may die some day and I need to get ready to put it on the next computer. W2K which died, XP which stops using AC Power unexpectedly - The power jack replacement is on the internet, Vista is up next with a new addition of a SSD. The Weather Software writes to the disk three (3) times a hour and Windows (All versions write to the disk every 10 Seconds unless you turn the network off, a very hard thing to do).

The darn "Updates are Available" message appeared and I was looking for how to get read of that message as I could not find the W7 way.

Google gave me an unexpected result, MSFT has pushed some updates out already which I started downloading and am installing while the system Image is being created.

Quote:
Microsoft issued a “highly unusual” patch for Windows XP last month to help prevent the spread of the massive WannaCry malware. At least 75,000 computers in 99 countries were affected by the malware which encrypts a computer and demands a $300 ransom before unlocking it. Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP in April 2014, but the software giant is now taking the unprecedented move of including it in the company’s Patch Tuesday round of security updates today.
And ...

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/softw...-registry-hack

Quote:
[UPDATE: Microsoft response] A single registry setting makes Windows Update think your XP system is Windows XP POSReady, which will receive updates for another five years.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/registry-hack-enables-
continued-updates-for-windows-xp/

So 2019 is the new end of updates for XP, but create a system image as MSFT says this MIGHT BREAK XP on your computer.

My Weather Station is not connected to the Internet normally, it does not need to be but I could display the screens on my HTPC using W7. Interesting.

Windows Vista might get the update and extension.

SHF
post #12891 of 13024 Old 05-31-2018, 09:34 AM

Have you tried TitanTV.com with zip code 14207?

post #12892 of 13024 Old 05-31-2018, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I'm still using TitanTV for my OTA listings. Have yet to setup my HDHR. Some planned PC hardware (mobos) and OS upgrading (XP-->W7) will likely precede that.

Last edited by Muse; 06-01-2018 at 05:21 AM.
post #12893 of 13024 Old 05-31-2018, 01:00 PM

Well, haven't used them in all these years, so a newbie in that regard. That's because I've never had the PVR networked until 2013, so a browser based TV Guide was good enough for me, and that is what I'm still looking for, but taking a second look at the CW_EPG and getting Schedules Direct, do any of you still use them?
Downloaded the CW_EPG files just now{can't be bothered to search partitions for older copies.}. What the heck? I still pay 55.00CDN a year to keep my old business E-mail address when it got moved from the old community board to a private carrier, the renewal being in October, on top of what I pay my ISP, Cogeco. So might as well go with SD {currently 33$CDN} and get a renewal date of June 2,3, or 4. also taking another look at Record This and the helper that puts the .tp/.ts in the file play tab on the MyHD. Too damn hot here to think right now.

Plus it will be good for when there is no PSIP data to be had, and will try your suggestions as well.
BTW, Zap2it decided to frell up just as I got an XP-friendly browser installed {K-Meleon, v76-RC, while my portable is still stuck at v75.1} for IIRC, when the Firefox ESR catches up to Firefox Quantum, some stuff, like Classic Theme Restorer and other XUL extensions will cease to function like in v56/57+. For my workstation, I'm using Aris' [the author] userChrome.css scripts he provides over at github, to restore the classic look and to get my tabs on the bottom, below the URL toolbar where they belong.

TY.

Last edited by browncoat; 05-31-2018 at 01:50 PM.
post #12894 of 13024 Old 05-31-2018, 01:36 PM

We have dozens of registered users of CW_EPG. The link to SD is in the thread in my sig (but you've evidently found that already). Welcome aboard.

post #12895 of 13024 Old 05-31-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:

I did, not listing the Toronto or Hamilton ON stations[yet] only western NY.

EDIT: Still not getting the CDN stations listed, maybe no choice but SD. Do they include descriptors? Like season finale or just finale, like Zap2it included?
Season x, Episode x ? as examples.

Last edited by browncoat; 05-31-2018 at 02:31 PM.
post #12896 of 13024 Old 05-31-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I did, not listing the Toronto or Hamilton ON stations[yet] only western NY.

EDIT: Still not getting the CDN stations listed, maybe no choice but SD. Do they include descriptors? Like season finale or just finale, like Zap2it included?
Season x, Episode x ? as examples.

FIXED, got the CDN stations I need, already had an account with them, 14233 zip worked, have to move data to K-Meleon, open pw manager to migrate [write down] Will work on SD this weekend.
post #12897 of 13024 Old 05-31-2018, 05:16 PM

I can't find the FAQ, so I can get Record This , the playlist manager and RT helper,
AV search doesn't help.
post #12898 of 13024 Old 05-31-2018, 05:30 PM

Bruce, I happened to be in San Antonio last month and met RT's author Allen, the first time face-to-face, for coffee. IIUC, he's not supporting RT any longer so it's questionable if you'll find any help on it. Dave Plettner was an RT fan back in the day so you may get some love from PM-ing him.

post #12899 of 13024 Old 05-31-2018, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, haven't used them in all these years, so a newbie in that regard. That's because I've never had the PVR networked until 2013, so a browser based TV Guide was good enough for me, and that is what I'm still looking for, but taking a second look at the CW_EPG and getting Schedules Direct, do any of you still use them?
Downloaded the CW_EPG files just now{can't be bothered to search partitions for older copies.}. What the heck? I still pay 55.00CDN a year to keep my old business E-mail address when it got moved from the old community board to a private carrier, the renewal being in October, on top of what I pay my ISP, Cogeco. So might as well go with SD {currently 33$CDN} and get a renewal date of June 2,3, or 4. also taking another look at Record This and the helper that puts the .tp/.ts in the file play tab on the MyHD. Too damn hot here to think right now.

Plus it will be good for when there is no PSIP data to be had, and will try your suggestions as well.
BTW, Zap2it decided to frell up just as I got an XP-friendly browser installed {K-Meleon, v76-RC, while my portable is still stuck at v75.1} for IIRC, when the Firefox ESR catches up to Firefox Quantum, some stuff, like Classic Theme Restorer and other XUL extensions will cease to function like in v56/57+. For my workstation, I'm using Aris' [the author] userChrome.css scripts he provides over at github, to restore the classic look and to get my tabs on the bottom, below the URL toolbar where they belong.

TY.
Yes it appears that "Zap2it decided to frell up".

Zap2It when it is working has the same listings that CW_EPG uses.

FreeGuide is a horizontal viewer that is another Schedules Direct approved app that also uses the same listings. I started using Freeguide before CW_EPG started and helped it along with a comment that the Zap2It listings were free and legal to use.

When the plug was pulled on the free listings Schedules Direct was quickly started.

FreeGuide just displays listings and has no recording capability, that was pulled soon as the start of appeared in the code.

I appear to supporting FreeGuide English questions being the only person, the FreeGuide author has not made a comment for a few years.

I now like the vertical listings display in CW_EPG more than the horizontal listings display in FreeGuide.

There are many DVR type programs that use the SD data. My tuner choices were dictated by what CW_EPG supports.

SHF
post #12900 of 13024 Old 05-31-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Yes it appears that "Zap2it decided to frell up".
There are many DVR type programs that use the SD data. My tuner choices were dictated by what CW_EPG supports.
SHF

I've already made my mind up and will get SD on Sunday or Monday, that way my renewal date will be in June [to spread out my obligations evenly throughout the year] and will try to get that other stuff, for the listings and if possible, scheduling and recording.
I found the folder for my MyHD utilities, including the playlist manager, Record This and the helper, still unzipped but dated September 15, 2012.
If there are no later versions, I will muggle through with the 2012 zips.

Although this machine has no tuner, can I still setup SD as a viewer/reader on this machine [the W7 box] and have it on the XP PVR to work with CW_EPG etc to schedule and list recorded programmes, as the sole "Master" machine as described in the first few pages of the Readme.pdf?

EDIT: Is CW_EPG an all-in-one programme? [reading the readme in Sumatra] I don't need the other stuff?

{frell and frelling, if you don't recall, are made-up swear words in the Farscape universe}

Last edited by browncoat; 05-31-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page