Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
I replied:

Welcome to the MyHD on Windows Vista & W7 / W8 / W10 Main thread

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...l#post56830638

There are major differences when MyHD is run on Vista and above.

SHF
Thanks. I read the post. Do I set compatibility for the MyHD programs before... or after installing them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12992 of 13024 Old 09-19-2018, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
Thanks. I read the post. Do I set compatibility for the MyHD programs before... or after installing them?
First, I am again suggesting that we move the discussion to that thread. Terry and other MyHD interested persons are also subscribed there. That thread got sidetracked by W10 Insider discussion. Time to move it back on topic with Vista, W7 and W10 normal usage. Some of the answers for your questions are already there.

This thread is for XP and earlier, lets keep it on topic.

The answer to your question is BOTH, the install EXE (s) and then the EXE (s) in Program Files. There are three but the Titan TV Helper is not used.

Terry in the zip says XP SP3 which is what I have set for MyHD.exe upon checking the active HTPC running W7.

I have ordered W10 Pro Retail for my Backup HTPC and I plan to install the 64 Bit version thus NO MyHD.

I want to be prepared if W7 is effectually banned in Jan 2020.

And also getting ready for ATSC 3.0.

SHF
Teeps likes this.
post #12993 of 13024 Old 09-20-2018, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Correction:

Even though they will be bricks in a couple of years, and many thank you(s) to Terry and Dale (Seng) who wrote those new CWHelper.exe(s), and the tips on the date format for the XP machine, I ordered another warehouse special from Amazon Canada, a second HDHR4 and it was 28 $ CDN cheaper than the first. So at least I'll have the documentaries and public affairs programmes covered. I still want to try that playing back an HDHR file in progress with the MyHD because the damn HDHR does have a better tuner, it pulls in stations that fade out on the MDP-130.

Many thanks throughout the years for this support forum, as always, correct me if I made any mistakes, going to re-read the manual on the weekend.

Last edited by browncoat; 09-20-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12994 of 13024 Old 09-20-2018, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoat View Post
... I still want to try that playing back an HDHR file in progress with the MyHD because the damn HDHR does have a better tuner, it pulls in stations that fade out on the MDP-130.

If you have MyHD connected to your ONLY display device, then read no further.

VLC Media player is the program I play in HDHR in process captures. It has some warts but incorrect aspect problems can be adjusted and it plays Network files just fine as MyHD WILL NOT. FF and REW jumps are too large, I need to check on that and the need to close VLC and reopen as the capture files gets larger. That later fix was rejected, maybe it's time to ask again.

(Well if you have more than one CPU active which MyHD will not handle at all.)

Soon VLC will display H265 files from ATSC 3.0 stations.

All for the low cost of FREE.
post #12995 of 13024 Old 09-20-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Soon VLC will display H265 files from ATSC 3.0 stations.
All for the low cost of FREE.

Unless you mean something else, my 3.9.x.x of KMPlayer already plays HEVC files on the W7 workstation, no aspect ratio glitches either though you do have to tinker with the settings, but not on any single core, like the XP machine. That's how, when bandwidth of the month gets tight, I'll download H265/HEVC .mkv files, rather than the usual h.264. Though migrating to 4.x.x.x of KMP may be necessary in the future, I don't doubt. It also needs tweaking each time I've gone to a larger display device.
post #12996 of 13024 Old 09-26-2018, 08:56 PM

Question stumped

Quote:
...........for the XP machine, I ordered another warehouse special from Amazon Canada, a second HDHR4 and it was 28 $ CDN cheaper than the first.
Well, it arrived this afternoon and I hit the same roadblock trying to install it on the empty Ethernet port as with the first, so I installed the desktop version of Lightscreen because trying to get screen-shots any other way wasn't working for me.

I'm stumped, I have an I.P. address in the Firewall [switched to learning mode for the week] and in the network utility, which I marked as trusted, but this dialogue appeared as the apparent installation concluded, and appears repeatedly as I ran HDHR set-up from the start menu. Ditto for trying to run the HDHR Config box so I could set up the tuners. I don't want to give up on this, already spent the money, but this must have happened to someone prior to myself.

I think I'm forgetting something Terry told me, but if I could remember, I probably wouldn't be here now.

Last edited by browncoat; 09-27-2018 at 08:59 PM.
post #12997 of 13024 Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, it arrived this afternoon and I hit the same roadblock trying to install it on the empty Ethernet port as with the first, so I installed the desktop version of Lightscreen because trying to get screen-shots any other way wasn't working for me.

I'm stumped, I have an I.P. address in the Firewall [switched to learning mode for the week] and in the network utility, which I marked as trusted, but this dialogue appeared as the apparent installation concluded, and appears repeatedly as I ran HDHR set-up from the start menu. Ditto for trying to run the HDHR Config box so I could set up the tuners. I don't want to give up on this, already spent the money, but this must have happened to someone prior to myself.

I think I'm forgetting something Terry told me, but if I could remember, I probably wouldn't be here now.
Connecting the HDHR to a PC without a switch/router
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...pic.php?t=4088

That should get you up and running.

SHF

Terry may be on another of his round the world trips, clockwise or counter clockwise I do not know.
post #12998 of 13024 Old 09-26-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Connecting the HDHR to a PC without a switch/router
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...pic.php?t=4088
That should get you up and running.
SHF
Terry may be on another of his round the world trips, clockwise or counter clockwise I do not know.
Thank You, since I can't receive WBBZ tonight I'll read it now.
post #12999 of 13024 Old 09-26-2018, 09:51 PM

Nope. already had a static I.P. in the range recommended.
Exemptions already exists for HD Homerun[2015 driver, like you use] within Windows firewall,
all functions, its something else.
post #13000 of 13024 Old 09-26-2018, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nope. already had a static I.P. in the range recommended.
Exemptions already exists for HD Homerun[2015 driver, like you use] within Windows firewall,
all functions, its something else.
I am running Windows 7 with a Wireless Router and have been from the start.

It looks like I have a "SiliconDust HDHR4-2US HDHomeRun CONNECT 2-Tuner", I finally found the fine print on the bottom.

The price on SD's web page has a lower price.

Perhaps SD is about to offer an ATSC 3.0 model. I will get one as soon as ATSC 3.0 stations are on the air.

Perhaps tomorrow I will get an idea, solutions from deep memory appear at times early in the morning.

I remember your problem posted here years and years ago.

I paid $25 for my first Wireless Router. I have been able to watch DTV on my laptop anywhere within range.

SHF
post #13001 of 13024 Old 09-26-2018, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Bruce, disable the firewall to make sure that's not causing the problem. You can disconnect the other Ethernet port from your lan while you do this if you like. Then you can fiddle with port settings to find what works. Ideally you should be able to leave that port unfirewalled, since it's not communicating with anything but the hdhr, but that may not be possible with your firewall brand.

PS: be aware that hdhr tuners connected this way do take up to a minute or so to negotiate their settings, so you must be patient.

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.

Last edited by TPeterson; 09-26-2018 at 10:21 PM.
post #13002 of 13024 Old 09-26-2018, 10:30 PM

Yep, same model, but with (CA) added, my boxes are bilingual, English and French, two models, CONNECT or EXTEND, mine is connect also.
In no rush, will wait for Terry, or go to SiliconDust forum to learn what that dialogue box means. Its mostly about convenience, as any files that won't play
on the W7 machine, I copy and placed manually into MyHD Play list. Or you could call it laziness, as I told Terry in E-mail, I don't miss anything as mine
are mostly watches for news, record for documentaries like this past night's NOVA episode, everything else I download. Speaking of which, leaving now to watch my latest.
post #13003 of 13024 Old 09-26-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
Bruce, disable the firewall to make sure that's not causing the problem. You can disconnect the other Ethernet port from your lan while you do this if you like. Then you can fiddle with port settings to find what works. Ideally you should be able to leave that port unfirewalled, since it's not communicating with anything but the hdhr, but that may not be possible with your firewall brand.

PS: be aware that hdhr tuners connected this way do take up to a minute or so to negotiate their settings, so you must be patient.

Thought you were on vacation, no change, have a static I.P. within that 169.x.x.x range, no difference with that damn dialogue box, logging off now because I want to do something else, plus this week, I have kittens that need spay/neutering. Pick this up on the weekend.
Sorry to be abrupt, running on no food and little sleep. Going to cook now and watch 4AM news.

Last edited by browncoat; 09-26-2018 at 11:23 PM.
post #13004 of 13024 Old 09-27-2018, 12:18 PM

So, I joined the SD Homerun forum, posed my question there, again I apologize for being short, there were extenuating circumstances .
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...329692#p329692
post #13005 of 13024 Old 09-27-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, I joined the SD Homerun forum, posed my question there, again I apologize for being short, there were extenuating circumstances .
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...329692#p329692

Your not using the latest firmware may be the problem, worth a try anyway.

Quote:
HD Homerun[2015 driver

SHF

EDIT: Are we in the best thread?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...ernet-box.html

Yes it appears dead, but many people still are subscribed and may have answers.

Last edited by SFischer1; 09-27-2018 at 12:51 PM.
post #13006 of 13024 Old 09-27-2018, 12:53 PM

Bruce, sorry, I didn't see the dialog box you were getting until I viewed your SD Forum post or I would've known that it has nothing to do with firewalls or IP addresses. The issue is that the SD driver is looking for an API entry that doesn't exist in your installed DLLs. You're in "DLL hell", perhaps due to the NLited version of Windows that you're using.

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
post #13007 of 13024 Old 09-27-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bruce, sorry, I didn't see the dialog box you were getting until I viewed your SD Forum post or I would've known that it has nothing to do with firewalls or IP addresses. The issue is that the SD driver is looking for an API entry that doesn't exist in your installed DLLs. You're in "DLL hell", perhaps due to the NLited version of Windows that you're using.
Google showed a flood of responses to KERNEL32.dll missing.

I would beware most and all of the download KERNEL.dll offers and only get a copy from Windows install DVD.

SHF
post #13008 of 13024 Old 09-27-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:

CRAP! perhaps I could copy it from the other XP SSD that is on the shelf, but then there's that old bugaboo about SSDs NAND memory losing data if
it hasn't seen power in a few years. Then there's knowing where to put it. I'll try it on the weekend.
post #13009 of 13024 Old 09-27-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Also, I'm getting very frustrated with this bulletin software, my screenshots keep disappearing or else it has a problem with Tinypic.
post #13010 of 13024 Old 09-27-2018, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also, I'm getting very frustrated with this bulletin software, my screenshots keep disappearing or else it has a problem with Tinypic.
I upload pictures using AVS attachment (Scroll down) and then copy the link to the insert picture.

Works quite well, I still can pull up pictures from the great AVS software that was ditched and we went back to the previous software.

Yes, things get lost by fumbling fingers, often after I have typed a lot.

SHF
post #13011 of 13024 Old 09-29-2018, 04:51 AM

Found this:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...orum=vcgeneral
and here:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...orum=vcgeneral
Finally:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...10491#24310491

Plus one place says to install service pack 3, even though My XP is supposed to be SP3, would there be any harm
in using the free SP3 CDs I received from M$ way back an run the installer utility?

So does it mean I should find an older version of the HDHR software? One that works better with XP?
Still conducting searches for answers.

Last edited by browncoat; 09-29-2018 at 05:20 AM.
post #13012 of 13024 Old 09-29-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
So does it mean I should find an older version of the HDHR software?
Evidently, since at least one authoritative-appearing reply to the question says that entry point does not exist in XP.

post #13013 of 13024 Old 09-29-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Evidently, since at least one authoritative-appearing reply to the question says that entry point does not exist in XP.

Well, it shouldn't do any harm to the rest of the CW_EPG set up to try each approach, just got to do some driver hunting (time consuming).
post #13014 of 13024 Old 09-30-2018, 12:15 AM
ebo
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
So does it mean I should find an older version of the HDHR software? One that works better with XP?
SiliconDust has many (not all) of the older versions of their software and firmware available for download on their website. But they don't post direct links to them, so you have to how to request them. Go to their download page and look at the software and firmware changelogs to find the version you want. Then right-click on HDHomeRun Software for Windows, which links to the latest version. Copy that link to the address bar, then change the version to the one you want and try to download it. If it's still available, you'll succeed.

If you want just firmware, go to HDHomeRun Software for Linux, select the firmware for the model you have and use the same method to substitute the version you want for the latest one.
post #13015 of 13024 Old 09-30-2018, 03:17 AM

It doesn't work for me that way, always defaults to a dialogue to download the latest one.

However, I did get a driver via Softpedia that was from 2014, and putting it into run, stated that it can't be installed on XP or server 2008.

Last edited by browncoat; 09-30-2018 at 04:00 AM.
post #13016 of 13024 Old 09-30-2018, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It doesn't work for me that way, always defaults to a dialogue to download the latest one.

However, I did get a driver via Softpedia that was from 2014, and putting it into run, stated that it can't be installed on XP or server 2008.
Based on personal experience anything for Vista or before is blacklisted, when MSFT says support has ended other companies do the same. W7 may have the same fate in JAN 2020.

SHF
post #13017 of 13024 Old 09-30-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Based on personal experience anything for Vista or before is blacklisted, when MSFT says support has ended other companies do the same. W7 may have the same fate in JAN 2020.

SHF

Well, there's gotta be someone out there, a packrat like me who doesn't throw anything out, just like I've kept a W2K archive and the Plus! pack that came with Win '98 OEM bundle for Intel and AMD off-the-shelf Desktops like I have, just got to keep digging and not lose hope!

Or else take a second shot on the HTPC at getting the MyHD to run on W7.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.2018-09-30.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	2462256  
post #13018 of 13024 Old 09-30-2018, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Or else take a second shot on the HTPC at getting the MyHD to run on W7.
If it is a legal windows 7 32 bit activated install then there is no problem as W7 32 Bit is what I am watching the 49'ers lose again on using MyHD. ($20 VGA to HDMI adapter.) (And they were ahead. ) (With no mucking around to break W7. )

At least there are few charger fans watching. They stayed in San Diego allowing a sea of red 49'er fans. Plus it is a very small site, they chose it because the expected no San Diego fans and few LA fans thus unlike Rams Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum which is huge which would look empty.

Opps, the 49ers just scored again and are no down only by two (2) points.

And up by one (1). But they are going through quarterbacks like a gorilla eating marsh mellows.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 09-30-2018 at 04:11 PM.
post #13019 of 13024 Old 09-30-2018, 04:44 PM

Like with W10, I'd probably just get W7 Enterprise LTSB if I went for it [use the spare SSD on the shelf] as I don't need bells and whistles, just a basic, stable OS.
Got to re-read that thread again.

60 minutes in the east is delayed again, My HD is recording the one hour "standard length" and the first HDHR, bought in the spring, is recording the padded backup copy, so later I just manually copy the done file to a stick, move it to the XP and place it in the folder for that show and the play list. Only because WIVB is one of those stations that go out of audio sync in any file player except MyHD. I'm being lazy in buying a second HDHR for the Sempron box so I wouldn't have to do the work any more.

No, I haven't built a server yet.

Last edited by browncoat; 09-30-2018 at 04:48 PM.
post #13020 of 13024 Old 09-30-2018, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Like with W10, I'd probably just get W7 Enterprise LTSB if I went for it [use the spare SSD on the shelf] as I don't need bells and whistles, just a basic, stable OS.
Well, as my HTPC is connected to the internet and MSFT built the initial version of W10, I will trust then to not mess up fixes. Even more now that they are using the "Insider Program" to test their software.

There are TOO MANY BAD GUYS trying to attack my systems. I just looked at the router log and there are tons of DOS attacks. The news often tells of major attacks from the Dark Web. The bad guys are the best programmers. MSFT fixing flaws which are very hard not to include is a BIG plus.

The program that I use the most is CW_EPG which needs an Internet connection to download program listings. Followed by VLC Media player. Opps, Windows Explorer actually the main program I use. All controlled by a Wireless Trackball.

If you have a non Internet connected computer like my Weather Station which is running XP up from a Win2K laptop, changes are not needed. (How does a program crash the BIOS on two different computers?)

?? Where do you buy a Legal copy of W7 Enterprise??

How big is your company and how many buildings in how many cities. Those companies might still be able to buy more licenses for W7.

SHF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page