ATI HDTV Wonder: Step-by-Step WMCE - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 162 Old 03-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
From TGB

Have you went back into the tv signal setup screen after you installed Kram's hacked drivers? MCE doesn't automtatically detect and scan after MCE has been ran. I think many people may be having issues with this...

I've had both tuners running for about 3 weeks now....

I've posted a couple of times but not much feedback afterward....anyway

here's my 1st post: http://www.thegreenbutton.com/commun...=72291#bm72347

my recent post:

"IT's not officially supported, but I have both tuners working in MCE2K5 right now.

My video card is the EVGA 6800GT, and the ONLY tuner card I have installed is the HDTV BULNDER...At first, I couldn't get either to work. Everyone said that both won't be used by MCE....it's because ATI wil not provide a MCE approved software encoder like they did for the ATI AIW'S to take advantage of the analog tuner...

What I did was....

1) Install MCE 2005 after a clean format.

2) Install motherboard chipset drivers..(I have the NFORCE 2 chipset)

3) Install video card drivers

4) Install NVIDIA DVD decoder 1.00.58

5) Install HDTV BLUNDER drivers from ATI's website

6) Updated everything from Windows UPDATE (including the HDTV drivers)

7) Install NVIDIA'S VIVO drivers

8) Since ATI isn't going to release a software encoder for MCE for the HDTV BLUNDER, I figured ATI wouldn't come up with a new design for the analog tuner, but reuse one. So, since I do not have a P4 w\\hyperthreading nor an ATI video card, I could not install the "official" ATI software encoders for MCE 2004. However, I installed KRAM'S hacked drivers....I ONLY INSTALLED THE MCEE portion of the drivers....

9) Wholah!!!! after that, I go into the MCE setup and everything works,BOTH TUNERS!!!Since the analog tuner uses the software encoder, the picture is worse than a hardware encoder such as the E-Wonder's, but it still works... The HDTV picture is outstanding though....I have issues with digital channels in my area not being viewable in the guide, but I'll have to iron that out later.

I hope someone takes this information, runs with it and modifies the drivers even further in an effort to improve the analog tuner picture quality....

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

Update 11-12-04:

After installing the newer ATI drivers posted this week and installing the new NVIDIA drivers (66.93), the analog picture quality has picked up noticeably.."

http://www.thegreenbutton.com/commun...87&TopicPage=2

Good Luck Bob!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 162 Old 03-24-2005, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Jeff

This clarifies things a lot. Thanks.

Bob

As Jeff's message points out, you only install the WMCE part of the Kram drivers, not the Catalyst drivers for ATI graphics cards, thus making possible the use of Nvidia graphics cards along sidethe HDTV Wonder in a WMCE box.

As I said, I have not experience with the Kram drivers and use thereof.

It is noteworthy that the originator of the TheGreenButton.com message specifically noted the poor quality of the standard definition from the analog part of the ATI HDTV Wonder. This makes sense because the analog tuner in the HDTV Wonder is a software encoder.

Also this fact might explain why Microsoft requires that an independent analog tuner with hardware encoding be installed when the HDTV Wonder is being used. Perhaps during testing of the HDTV Wonder, MS and ATI discovered the poor qualty of the standard TV that the decision was made to disable the analog TV tuner of the HDTV Wonder when used in WMCE.

So, it seems that the Kram drivers is the way to go if you do not use a USB analog TV tuner.

New Box: One Fusion 5 RT Gold and a Powercolor Theater 550 Pro in microBTX system
post #63 of 162 Old 03-25-2005, 04:31 PM

Bob, Hein's procedure on page 25 of MCE 2005 Faq worked for me. I have no analog tuner, nor do I have An ATI video card.

ATI HDTV Wonder working with Nvidia 6600GT
Hi folk,

I was able consistently setup MCE 2005 and ATI HDTV tuner stand alone. (I did it on 3 machines, two have Radeon X300, and one has NVIDIA 6600GT).
Here's a step by step from scratch

1. Install MCE -

2. Install MCE rollup1 - windowsxpmediacenter2005-kb873369-enu.exe

3. Install Nvidia DVD decoder - Download nvdvd v1.00.67

4. Install ATI HDTV wonder MCE driver (download from ATI site, install this driver before inserting the ATI HDTV card)

5. Insert the ATI HDTV card, let windows detects the card (reboot)

Below is the hack that allows ATI HDTV works with MCE as a stand alone
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Obtain KRAM driver, and unzip. Go to ATI_KRAM\\MCE4.10kv\\MCEE - then run setup.exe, reboot.

7. Go to ATI_KRAM\\MCE4.10kv\\eHomeAIW - then run setup.exe, reboot.

8. Open Device Manager and look for "ATI HDTV Wonder Digital and Analog Tuner Device"

right click then select Update Driver... select "No at this time" click next...select "Install from a specific locaction (Advance)" click next....select "Don't search, I will chose..." click next.... click "Have disk" then point to ATI_KRAM\\MCE4.10kv\\eHomeAIW\\WDM_XP

Now select "ATI WDM Rage Theater Video".... and install this when prompt hit OK. Reboot.

9. Now go back to Device Manager, under "ATI WDM Rage Theater Video" there is an yellow exclaimation, righ click -> properties -> Driver then click "Roll Back Driver" button. Reboot.

10. Now start MCE, and begin the TV set up procedure.

That's it, the procedure works for me every time. Try it and post the result back here.

Cheers, Hien. [/b][/quote]

max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 162 Old 03-27-2005, 10:29 AM

Maybe you guys can help

I setup the following HTPC, everything seems to work (including analog and digital off of the HD Wonder card), but all the HD video is slightly stuttery or choppy. Is this a hardware problem, or perhaps a problem with the Intervideo decoder?

Setup:
Clean install of Windows XP MCE 2005
P4 3.06 on an FIC Condor Motherboard (rated for AGP 8x)
ATI 9600 XT
1 Gig Ram
300 Gig SATA hard drive (No RAID)
HDTV Wonder
Plextor DL DVD
Intervideo DVD Decoder

System worked find under XP Home with ATI Multimedia software (ie, no stuttering or choppiness), so I don't think it is a hardware problem. Also, as to interrupts, I have one AGP and 2 PCI slots; I used the same slots for both cards with both MCE 2005 and XP Home.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I really prefer the MCE interface to the ATI Multimedia center (easier to use for the wife and thus greater WAF), but I find the HD unwatchable with the MCE. Do I need to put in a faster processor? (I did try an ATI 9800 Pro with the same results.) I'm kind of at a loss as to why one setup works fine, and the other (MCE) doesn't.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Miguel Mulet
post #65 of 162 Old 03-27-2005, 11:25 AM

Miguel - your hardware seems more than adequate, so the stutterring is probably related to your driver/decoder configurations.

I would try using the NVIDIA decoder (instead of Intervideo) and use the Microsoft DECCHECK utility to make sure that the NVIDIA decoders are set as the "preferred" one.
post #66 of 162 Old 03-27-2005, 03:43 PM

OK, here are my results.

Reinstalled everything...thus the 4 hour + delay.

Looks pretty good, except the basketball game on CBS this afternoon. Still stutters a little, both live and recorded. I don't think its the hardware - uses 15-18% CPU resources live, 30-36% resources when recording.

Any other ideas? I guess it must be the installed DVD decoder, as the nVidia is much better than the Intervideo decoder I was using previously. Which other ones should I try?

Thanks!

Miguel Mulet
post #67 of 162 Old 03-27-2005, 04:30 PM

Oops, I think I was using the Cyberlink decoder before, not Intervideo.

mmulet
post #68 of 162 Old 03-28-2005, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Originally posted by nailbender

Bob, Hein's procedure on page 25 of MCE 2005 Faq worked for me. I have no analog tuner, nor do I have An ATI video card.

ATI HDTV Wonder working with Nvidia 6600GT
Hi folk,

I was able consistently setup MCE 2005 and ATI HDTV tuner stand alone. (I did it on 3 machines, two have Radeon X300, and one has NVIDIA 6600GT).

-------------------------
Now select "ATI WDM Rage Theater Video".... and install this when prompt hit OK. Reboot.

9. Now go back to Device Manager, under "ATI WDM Rage Theater Video" there is an yellow exclaimation, righ click -> properties -> Driver then click "Roll Back Driver" button. Reboot.
--------------------------

Cheers, Hien.

Maybe someone can offer a suggestion or some help.

I've been through this process three times now with no joy. I can get everything working on MMC, but MCE keeps saying "No TV tuner found".

I can not find any reference to "ATI WDM Rage Theater Video" and I'm thinking I may be missing something.

Can anyone tell me the importance of "ATI WDM Rage Theater Video" and how do I get it onto my system?

DVD's play fine under MCE

Thanks, Bill L.

I'm running:

Intel 925 mb with 2.8ghz P4 (775-hyperthreading)
512mb of ddr2
ATI PCIe Radeon x700 video
ATI HD Wonder tuner
Toshiba DL DVD r/w drive.

XP MCE 2005
post #69 of 162 Old 03-28-2005, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by mmulet
Maybe you guys can help

I setup the following HTPC, everything seems to work (including analog and digital off of the HD Wonder card), but all the HD video is slightly stuttery or choppy. Is this a hardware problem, or perhaps a problem with the Intervideo decoder?

Setup:
Clean install of Windows XP MCE 2005
P4 3.06 on an FIC Condor Motherboard (rated for AGP 8x)
ATI 9600 XT
1 Gig Ram
300 Gig SATA hard drive (No RAID)
HDTV Wonder
Plextor DL DVD
Intervideo DVD Decoder

System worked find under XP Home with ATI Multimedia software (ie, no stuttering or choppiness), so I don't think it is a hardware problem. Also, as to interrupts, I have one AGP and 2 PCI slots; I used the same slots for both cards with both MCE 2005 and XP Home.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I really prefer the MCE interface to the ATI Multimedia center (easier to use for the wife and thus greater WAF), but I find the HD unwatchable with the MCE. Do I need to put in a faster processor? (I did try an ATI 9800 Pro with the same results.) I'm kind of at a loss as to why one setup works fine, and the other (MCE) doesn't.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Miguel Mulet

===============

Your system is fast enough. It is the video card problem. MCE don't like the 9600xt for the 1080i HD channels. IMO, 6600GT is the best card for MCE.

I had to overclock my 9600xt to 571/317 and the stuttering stop. Use the Artic Cooler for stability. I also use the Cyberlink decoder. Nvidia decoder didn't perform well with the overclock.
post #70 of 162 Old 03-28-2005, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

As was said before, a WCE machine should be considered a high performance system and designed accordingly.

In my view, the next important feature of WMCE that will be pursued by users is media streaming to other WCE competent boxes on the home network.

This means file serving, either from the MCE box itself or on a standalone server. Video streaming, of live HD tv for example, requires fairly robust and musclular parts.

Also, if you have content streaming from outside the system like from a fiber optic internet that can handle mulitiple video streams, then you're still talking about powerful pc parts.

So, the mindset for MCE and MCE like systems should be high performance.

New Box: One Fusion 5 RT Gold and a Powercolor Theater 550 Pro in microBTX system
post #71 of 162 Old 03-28-2005, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had to buy a USB TV tuner to get it working.

Got it set up and it works great. I unplugged the USB tuner after the setup.

Watching and recording free HDTV right now. Yeehaw
post #72 of 162 Old 03-30-2005, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This may be a dumb question, but how do I install device drivers before putting in the hardware?
post #73 of 162 Old 03-30-2005, 08:23 AM

There should be an executable for your device drivers. For the ATI HDTV wonder there is an executable .exe you run to install the drivers before physically install the card. You can download the driver here. You need download 2 of 4.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...ge&folderID=27
post #74 of 162 Old 03-30-2005, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Contrary to conventional knowledge, there is nothing unusual about installing software drivers before physically installing the respective hardware part.

The most familiar examples are USB devices, where routinely you install the software drivers before plugging in the USB device.

We know that Windows includes a vast library of drivers for devices and hardware that is not currently attached to or installed in the subject pc; the drivers are just waiting around for Windows to detect the hardware during bootup.

Yet, it is not a dumb question because it sounds illogical, doesn't it?

post #75 of 162 Old 03-30-2005, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by wblynch
I had to buy a USB TV tuner to get it working.

Got it set up and it works great. I unplugged the USB tuner after the setup.

Watching and recording free HDTV right now. Yeehaw

I'm glad you (and others in other threads) posted this. I'll edit #1 message to this thread to clarify that this technique has been verified.

post #76 of 162 Old 03-30-2005, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the feedback. I was just thrown because the WinTV card doesnt have an executable, but i think that went ok anyway. I did the ATI install like you guys say and that seems fine (haven't finished yet, so knock wood).

One additional question. There's no mention of the ATI remote in this thread. Is it ok to use this with MCE? I wonder if this will also control the WinTV capabilities. I think I have some more reading and searching to do.

Thanks,
Rich
post #77 of 162 Old 03-31-2005, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have found that on my 42" HD plasma, MCE looks terrible while MMC looks beautiful.

I don't think MCE is delivering true HD from the HD Wonder. MMC is definitley 1080i / 720p.

The difference between the two is night and day.
post #78 of 162 Old 03-31-2005, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

did you do the Flat Panel display setup and configuration in WMCE? I think that WMCE will change the Display Properties when it loads, and might be different when MMC is running.

Which plasma do you have?

post #79 of 162 Old 03-31-2005, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by GeekFunk
did you do the Flat Panel display setup and configuration in WMCE? I think that WMCE will change the Display Properties when it loads, and might be different when MMC is running.

Which plasma do you have?

Yep, went through every option I could find anywhere. Tried at least a dozen different combinations.

I have an NEC XM42A HD 1024*768 plasma.

Thanks.
post #80 of 162 Old 03-31-2005, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Actually I think because my problem is MCE related I will take it to an MCE thread. It really isn't an ATI HDTV Wonder problem.

Thanks
post #81 of 162 Old 04-06-2005, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
can media center preserve the dolby digital sound from recorded tv, i have the hdtv wonder working in it, but i dont think it is saving the dolby digital like mmc did.
Also i have my aiw x600 and hdtv wonder working in media center, but now media center can't find a tuner, when i try to adjust settings. i can still watch tv and dtv, but cant adjust tv settings. all hardware is recognized and working under windows system properties. any ideas???

one more thing, anyone able to get msn remote record to work with hdtv channels online? i can't even see them listed online
post #82 of 162 Old 04-06-2005, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hansol89
can media center preserve the dolby digital sound from recorded tv, i have the hdtv wonder working in it, but i dont think it is saving the dolby digital like mmc did.
Also i have my aiw x600 and hdtv wonder working in media center, but now media center can't find a tuner, when i try to adjust settings. i can still watch tv and dtv, but cant adjust tv settings. all hardware is recognized and working under windows system properties. any ideas???

one more thing, anyone able to get msn remote record to work with hdtv channels online? i can't even see them listed online

To your first questions. Yes, MCE records the DD5.1 surround sound. ABC and CBS both broadcast in DD5.1 and Fox's American Idol is also.

Can't address your AIW x600 issue.

Have not tried the online recording option. I assume you are referring to remote web based recording instruction? Am planing on it. Just not got around to it.
post #83 of 162 Old 04-09-2005, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by psxjunky
If you already have an analog TV tuner card and not sure if it supports hardware based encoding, look at its specification and ask here.

So, should the ATI 9600 All in Wonder be sufficient for this purpose? I'm unsure as to whether it has hardware encoding..

Thanks..
post #84 of 162 Old 04-10-2005, 05:53 PM

MSN remote faq says they don't support HDTV channels right now. Very lame!
post #85 of 162 Old 04-12-2005, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

I've edited the leading post here to say that the ATI HDTV Wonder is one of only two HD tv tuners on the certified for WMCE list.

The other HD tuner is the Avermedia Aver MCE A180. It goes for about 90 bucks.

I'm considering getting this tuner to see if will work in a two HD tuner WMCE setup with the ATI HDTV Wonder.

post #86 of 162 Old 04-12-2005, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 102
The AverMedia page says that the new card supports QAM Cable broadcasting, too:
http://www.aver.com/products/tvtuner...mce_a180.shtml
post #87 of 162 Old 04-13-2005, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I just bought an Avermedia AverTVHD A180 tuner card from Buy.com for 67.64 after ten dollar coupon and free shipping.

Hurry. Appears to be in short supply.

I will try ot do a two hd tuner alongside ATI HDTV Wonder in my WMCE box.

post #88 of 162 Old 04-13-2005, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Out of Stock at Buy.com at this time...
post #89 of 162 Old 04-13-2005, 05:07 PM

Trying to get KRAM hacked drivers and a solo HDTV Wonder tuner card working...

cable is no problem...

but, when I run the MCE auto-config it says "A Digital TV tuner was also detected. It will be configured later."

but it doesn't ever seem to be configured later ???

When I go to the manual config later Dgital TV doesn't appear on the list.

Regards,
Lex
post #90 of 162 Old 04-13-2005, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by Lexor
Trying to get KRAM hacked drivers and a solo HDTV Wonder tuner card working...

cable is no problem...

but, when I run the MCE auto-config it says "A Digital TV tuner was also detected. It will be configured later."

but it doesn't ever seem to be configured later ???

When I go to the manual config later Dgital TV doesn't appear on the list.

After you get the page for "A Digital TV Tuner was also detected. .. " , there were three check blocks after "Would like to configure your TV signal using these results."

Check the "Yes" box.

Then, the Guide is dowloaded from the internet. So, you must have an internet connection by this point.

After the Guide is downloaded, your standard channels will be configured eventhough you won't do anything. The page you will get eventually will say someting nonsensical like, "You have previously configured your standard channels and Guide. .. "

It will be headlined, "Configure Digital TV", and you go on from there.

Probably, if you don't download the Guide, you won't go no where.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page