ATI HDTV Wonder: Step-by-Step WMCE - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 162 Old 01-23-2006, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehouse View Post

I installed the HDTV wonder this weekend, for the most part it works ok, not with MCE 2005 but that is because of not having an Analog tuner card hooked up apparently from what I have read on here from you knowledgable folks.

I do have issues with the audio many times where it's not quite in sync with the video, especially yesterday during the football games on FOX and CBS.

The interesting thing is I haven't been having that problem at night on CBS or FOX.

Is that a signal issue? I am using the non amplified antenna that came with the card.

Any suggestions or ideas?

It may indeed be a weak signal issue. Local broadcasting TV stations are doing a lot of testing and evaluations right now, and sometimes they vary the signal strength.

New Box: One Fusion 5 RT Gold and a Powercolor Theater 550 Pro in microBTX system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 162 Old 01-23-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekFunk View Post

It might be helpful if you shared the other parts of your box.

To get out of your current problem: (1) try booting into safe mode by holding down the F8 key Windows begins to load up; or (2) take out the HDTV Wonder, and do the Windows update.

I can't tell whether "MCE2K" means Windows Media Center Edition 2005, or something else.

After removing the HDTV Wonder, do the Windows Update based on the WMCE install so that .Net framework and HD Rollup 2 is applied.

I'm assuming that you have a DVD decoder like Nvidia's?

More info about my Box:
Sony R-Series with Dual 3.2ghz Processors, 1 Gig of Ram, 200GB HD, Windows XP SP2 with Media Center Edition 2005 (both completely up to date), Radeon X300 PCI Express Video Card. I think that is all you would need to know.

As far as a DVD decoder I have the ATI DVD Decoder installed. I have read a few times that although the NVIDIA works "better" either works.

I'm starting to wonder if the problem is my Radeon X300 video card. Perhaps if I upgraded to something else. I'm willing to do so, but I WANT a card that is PCI Express and doesn't have a fan. I bought this computer because it is silent due to liquid cooling, and tossing in a card with a fan would ruin that. Your thoughts?
post #153 of 162 Old 04-04-2006, 09:05 AM

I have an HP MCE machine currently running fine and I want to install the ATI HD Wonder card to it. the HD card has input for Antenna and a cable. Can I use both of these inputs and teh one I currently use or only the HD input because my other card is using the cable input. I'm confused on how this all works.

Thanks
shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 162 Old 07-18-2006, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey all, so I installed the ATI HDTV tuner tonight with the Kram drivers and nVidia decoder and everything is working great. My question is... Is installing the ATI Multimedia Center a bad thing at this point? I was hoping to install just the player and still shots feature but wasn't sure if doing so could hose my current installation.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

post #155 of 162 Old 07-18-2006, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by resslerk View Post

More info about my Box:
Sony R-Series with Dual 3.2ghz Processors, 1 Gig of Ram, 200GB HD, Windows XP SP2 with Media Center Edition 2005 (both completely up to date), Radeon X300 PCI Express Video Card. I think that is all you would need to know.

As far as a DVD decoder I have the ATI DVD Decoder installed. I have read a few times that although the NVIDIA works "better" either works.

I'm starting to wonder if the problem is my Radeon X300 video card. Perhaps if I upgraded to something else. I'm willing to do so, but I WANT a card that is PCI Express and doesn't have a fan. I bought this computer because it is silent due to liquid cooling, and tossing in a card with a fan would ruin that. Your thoughts?

I just went through the install tonight and can tell you I had absolutely no luck with the ATI Decoder. I couldn't get any audio at all, and the nVidia Decoder solved that problem.

post #156 of 162 Old 01-02-2007, 09:04 AM

I installed the ATI HDTV card with a fresh install of MCE 2005 using the Kram drivers.

I also installed the nVidia decoder and made sure that it is the "preffered" decoder using the MCE decoder utilty.

I've tested the ATI card with WatchHDTV program and it works great.

The problem i have is when i use MCE, the digital channels stutter and my CPU use goes really high.

My system is a Dell 400sc:

P4 2.8ghz
512mb Ram
ATI AGP 8x generic Radeon 9600 series based card 128mb / 128bit
200gb Sata Drive

What i find wierd is that it works great with WatchHDTV but not MCE 2005.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
post #157 of 162 Old 01-10-2007, 08:45 AM

bump... anyone?
post #158 of 162 Old 01-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You probably need a faster PC or else you won't be able to use MCE. MCE is probably using more resources than WatchHDTV, and that is likely the culprit. I don't know what esle someone could say with the information given. Sorry

Win7Ult x64:P8Z77V Deluxe, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6670, i5-3570k, 3 Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe, Hauppauge 2250, Fractal Arc Midi SSP
post #159 of 162 Old 01-14-2007, 07:34 AM

And more physical memory, at least 1gb. I haven't installed MCE yet but does anyone know what default swap file settings are? Usually you want to set your swap (MS calls it 'virtual memory') at twice what your physical memory is. DevMgr, Advance, Performance, Settings, Virtual Memory, Change, Custom Size. Then type in twice what your physical memy is, in your case put in 1024 on BOTH initial and maximum sizes. Letting Windoze manage it you get a perf hit because it's 'dynamic' and shrinks and grows all over the disk, horrible. When you set it then it's better defined.

The future is always one step ahead of us.
post #160 of 162 Old 01-15-2007, 06:30 AM

Well, i've added more memory. I now have 1gb and i checked the CPU usage and it went down to 30-35%.

But it still stutters! Maybe it wasnt a memory problem. i dunno.

This sucks because i was fine with WatchHDTV, but i wanted a more user friendly interface that had closed captioning. And now i end up using WatchHDTV anyway. Any other suggestions?
post #161 of 162 Old 01-15-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dack18 View Post

Well, i've added more memory. I now have 1gb and i checked the CPU usage and it went down to 30-35%.

But it still stutters! Maybe it wasnt a memory problem. i dunno.

This sucks because i was fine with WatchHDTV, but i wanted a more user friendly interface that had closed captioning. And now i end up using WatchHDTV anyway. Any other suggestions?

I am having the same problem except MCE and HDTV Wonder were working flawlessly before I reloaded MCE.

I reloaded MCE 2005 with kram drivers from here: http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/krammcehdtv1.html

That page says its not the full version of kram so I'm wondering if thats the problem.

I get jerky video on the digital channels, whats funny is I can watch hdtv on my 360 through this machine without any jerky video.
post #162 of 162 Old 09-27-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidal View Post

I am having the same problem except MCE and HDTV Wonder were working flawlessly before I reloaded MCE.

I reloaded MCE 2005 with kram drivers from here: http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/krammcehdtv1.html

That page says its not the full version of kram so I'm wondering if thats the problem.

I get jerky video on the digital channels, whats funny is I can watch hdtv on my 360 through this machine without any jerky video.

I've had a couple related issues, one of which I could solve and one I couldn't. From your description, I'm not sure these are related, but the experiment is easy. I found that 1080i deinterlacing was too CPU intensive for my system, but 720p was no problem. I believe my issue is a non-HD capable graphics card, which I've avoided upgrading due to heat/power issues. It causes semi-lockups (could be called jerky performance, as it eventually moves forward) in normal mode, and after I "fixed" it, slightly jerky (not entirely smooth) video in some particularly complex 1080i broadcast scenes, but smooth most of the time. Anyway, the partial fix is to change the Priority of the MCE process to "Normal" instead of "AboveNormal." I haven't found a permanent way to do it, so I have to do this every time I play back 1080i content (a bit of a pain). If anyone knows of a permanent way to change a the MCE shell's priority, please let me know.

To make the change (temporarily) for your experiment, bring up the Windows task manager after getting ready to play some normally jerky video. In the applications tab, select the MCE application, right click and go to process. That's the process you need to modify. You can change it now by right clicking and selecting Set Priority->Normal. However, it will change back once it starts playing. At this point, start the program playing, but immediately pause the program and bring up the Windows Task Manager again Ctrl-Alt-Delete (which should bring you back to the same process). Repeat the right click Set Priority->Normal, making sure the dialog box you have to accept is over MCE and not the task manager. After that, you can mouse click play and it should stay in Normal priority, which at least on my system makes for much smoother playback without lockups.

I believe the reason this helps is that by lowering the priority of the MCE shell, it allows the deinterlacing to get more resources (not sure if it's more CPU or more I/O it actually needed), where's it's most needed.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page