For the past year I have been having stability issues between JRiver 15 and the link software, where the link software would just crash inexplicably. Sometimes it would run for days on end before a crash, while other times it couldn't get through a day without multiple crashes.
The other thing I noticed was that my kids weren't really using the CAV6.6 keypads and room audio. Rather they were just playing JRiver via Gizmo or EOS directly to their tablets and phones. When further investigated it was because they felt that trying to scroll through the music and videos via the Russound keypads was far too tedious.
Because of these two items I have abandond the CAV6.6 within my setup, and just gone with my multichannel amp and the JRiver computer. I have replaced the Russound keypads with Nexus 7 android devices. After several weeks of use now, I find that the kids are once again using the audio zones again!
Parts List - Tablet
- $200: Nexus 7 Tablets (as they support Qi Wireless Charging)
- ElementalX Kernel. You need to root the Nexus 7 and install this Kernal to get "Tap to Wake / Tap to Sleep" (eg you don't need to grope for the power button).
- Gizmo (free app to control JRiver)
- Skype (using it as an intercom system)
Parts List - Wall Mount
- $30: Qi Wireless Charging Pad
- $20 PoE to microUSB adapter (also you'd need a PoE injector, but I had that already)
- $2: Magnets behind the frame are 20mm/2mm
- $1: Magnets siliconed to the back of the Nexus 7 are 20mm/1mm
Cat5.jpg 577k .jpg file
Wirelesspower.jpg 225k .jpg file
Finishedproduct3.jpg 482k .jpg file
The magnetic mounts let the kids remove the tablets from their bedroom walls and watch a video.
I guess this also implies that I have a CAV6.6, dual radio tuner, and keypads available for reasonable cost if anyone is interested.