Limetech un-Raid Media Storage Server support thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 2123 Old 08-14-2006, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Ah. Yeah, that'd definitely be a problem! Glad you found it.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2123 Old 08-14-2006, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I occasionally have issues with name resolution on my network and reboting the array clears it - for some reason the SAMBA server takes over as Master Browser Try getting to it using the IP address instead of a name - that gets around any sort of name resolution issue. Try a Ping too and make sure the IP address hasn't changed for any reason..
post #1353 of 2123 Old 09-15-2006, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
any news on an open source alternative to this? or something better?

I'm looking at setting up a small (1-1.5TB) server for now, and I want redundancy.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1354 of 2123 Old 09-15-2006, 12:36 PM

Tom is about to release V3 of his software with some improvements. It looks like he is moving to a slightly different business model and will allow for a free download that will work with only two data disks and a parity disk. Given large enough drives his software would allow for 1.5TB worth of storage. He also has a midrange version that allow for six disks total (one parity), and his usual twelve disk large array - at a reduced pricing.

He hasn't announced this other than on his support forum yet but if you go there you can learn the details. An issue that seems to be cropping up, for me at least, is hardware. The recommended motherboard is near impossible to find and I'm wanting to build a second array. I suspect that will be figured out quickly

Tom has some new features going into the software including some R/O share options that are best explained on his support forum. I'm not sure it's in there yet but the Master Browser issues I've had with SAMBA will be fixed with a toggle to turn on or off this feature. I've asked for the trashcan feature in SAMBA and Tom said that wouldn't be too hard so we may get that in the future too.

There's changes\\fixes in this release and as more of us get experience with it we'll be able to talk about them more. All in all it seems that development is progressing slowly but surely - SATA is supported for instance. Security and speed are still to be addressed but on the list pretty high I'd imagine - SATA support was a biggie.

Oh and no I've seen nothing open source, free, or cheaper that does what this system does but I'm all ears if such a thing exists...
post #1355 of 2123 Old 09-15-2006, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Areduced price on the software and multiple levels sounds great to me, I just don;t want to pay $150 for it. Also is there returns or resale allowed, just wondering if you knew off hand.
post #1356 of 2123 Old 09-15-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueimage View Post

Areduced price on the software and multiple levels sounds great to me, I just don;t want to pay $150 for it. Also is there returns or resale allowed, just wondering if you knew off hand.

Those are questions probably best left to Tom. Short of something like FreeNAS or rolling your own I'm not sure how much cheaper you're going to get elsewhere but I'm always on the lookout. Honestly I'm pretty pleased right now, Tom has made us early adopters a pretty good deal just when I was about to start building a second NAS. I need someplace to put the smaller drives I replace as I move to larger ones!
post #1357 of 2123 Old 10-04-2006, 02:06 PM

so i just went to the lime technology site and found that they released v3 of the software and at LONG last, the SATA version. so i am wonderign if anyone has used the SATA version and how well it works compared to the IDE. also i am wonderign if they have the spindown feature on the SATA version.
post #1358 of 2123 Old 10-04-2006, 02:32 PM

The Unraid support forums are here: http://support.lime-technology.com/forum/index.php, there are lots of people who can answer your questions there.
post #1359 of 2123 Old 10-04-2006, 05:50 PM

More than one person is runing SATA and mixed systems.Plenty of answers at the above linked forum but do realize that V3 is still beta. The nice thing is though you can try before you buy now - very nice feature!
post #1360 of 2123 Old 10-05-2006, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdee1 View Post

so i just went to the lime technology site and found that they released v3 of the software and at LONG last, the SATA version. so i am wonderign if anyone has used the SATA version and how well it works compared to the IDE. also i am wonderign if they have the spindown feature on the SATA version.

I am running three sata Seagate 500GB drives in the free version of Unraid.
Spin down works beautifully, my hard disks have a temp or 22 C when spun down.
Also supports hiddens shares, so if you have 12 drives and want to create a dvd folder in each drive, you can map a drive to \\\ ower\\dvd and create a single combined virtual drive mapping all of the dvds that you copied on your unraid server.
post #1361 of 2123 Old 10-17-2006, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone had any luck going outside the recommended hardware? There's two motherboards (I'm an AMD guy!) and two choices of SATA controllers, neither of which I'm interested in.

-Josh Murrah
post #1362 of 2123 Old 10-17-2006, 04:22 PM

Yes, multiple people have tried different boards with varying levels of success and Tom has been responsive in trying to support various boards. Best to check at the Lime-Tech support forum. So far as I know mostly XXX INTEL hardware has been used and in this case that's not so bad - at this level it's dirt cheap and pretty cool running...

Edit: Intel hardware has been mostly used, how the heck did I confuse the two companies?
post #1363 of 2123 Old 10-19-2006, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagMan View Post

Has anyone had any luck going outside the recommended hardware? There's two motherboards (I'm an AMD guy!) and two choices of SATA controllers, neither of which I'm interested in.

Which SATA controllers are you interested in?
post #1364 of 2123 Old 10-19-2006, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Take your pick of the SiL3114-based controllers. Don't spend time on it Tom, I've decided to go with a hardware RAID-based solution instead, I'm just not comfortable with the linux/software approach, and I also wanted the flexibility of RAID levels and migration between them.

-Josh Murrah
post #1365 of 2123 Old 12-01-2006, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Not to change the tread or anything but has anybody tried FreeNAS? It's not as fancy in the raid department but it works great as a NAS and has software raid 0,1, and 5. And it runs on older hardware. And it's Free.
post #1366 of 2123 Old 12-01-2006, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Last I read, recovery from a failure with raid 5 was problematic. Pretty much ruled out raid5 on FreeNas for me.
post #1367 of 2123 Old 12-02-2006, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottria View Post

Not to change the tread or anything but has anybody tried FreeNAS? It's not as fancy in the raid department but it works great as a NAS and has software raid 0,1, and 5. And it runs on older hardware. And it's Free.

Not to put this thread back on topic or anything but FreeNAS sux feature wise compared to unRaid. unRaid TOTALLY eliminates all the drawbacks of the raid levels you mention, and in it's basic format (up to 3 hard drives) it is FREE!

You really should check out the facts prior to thread hijacking.

-PGPfan
post #1368 of 2123 Old 12-03-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagMan View Post

Take your pick of the SiL3114-based controllers. Don't spend time on it Tom, I've decided to go with a hardware RAID-based solution instead, I'm just not comfortable with the linux/software approach, and I also wanted the flexibility of RAID levels and migration between them.

Tom,

May the rest of us then ask then.... we need to alleviate the PCI bottleneck! Allow us to throw some hardware at the problem. We need PCI-E, 2 ports min, 4-8 ports preferable, like the Promise EX8350, the RocketRAID 2320 ,Highpoint RR2322, Tempo SATA E4i or perhaps the Intel SRCSAS144E; not all of them are XOR cards I'd imagine. Maybe we can start with a SIIG 2 port SATA II PCI Express Controller Card w/ a supported MB that has 4 PCI-e slots and 4 on-MB SATA ports, we should be running full steam I'd imagine. Other needy speedups:

1. speeding up simultaneous read/write (which I know you will issue a patch for shortly).
2. speeding up the formatting/clearing, etc., process.
3. giving us alternative transfer schemes (e.g., TCP-NFS, RSYNC and (my true love : iSCSI)), since some clients are just abysmal with SMB (do you hear me PixelMagic ). NFS will do for a while I guess.

-----
I would like to add to the spectators out there, that some of us have built 12 drive rigs out of Unraid and they work very well, esp once you have the media all loaded. The Unraid totally dwarfs the capabilities of traditional hardware based raid 5, both in recovery flexibility and online expansion.

Alex
post #1369 of 2123 Old 12-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

I have a media server running Windows XP with each drive as a separate share (no RAID). Hardware is an Intel D865PERLK mother board, and this SATA card which uses Sil3114.

Any thoughts on whether this will work with un-Raid?

Would it be possible to - download the free version, boot from the flash, and see if it recognizes my drives? Without wiping out my existing data in case I decide against using un-RAID?

Thanks,

DE

Calvin & Hobbes - Greatest. Comic. Ever.
post #1370 of 2123 Old 12-15-2006, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedwards View Post

Would it be possible to - download the free version, boot from the flash, and see if it recognizes my drives? Without wiping out my existing data in case I decide against using un-RAID?

Thanks,

DE

Yes, just don't start the array and don't assign your existing drives to slots in the unRaid array. You should be able to see the drives in the unRaid management page if the hardware is compatible. At least you will prove the USB drive will boot and your network interface and hardware are compaitible.
post #1371 of 2123 Old 12-15-2006, 10:38 AM

how will unRAID handle his NTFS drives. I think it will be better if you boot with no drive connected to be on the safe side.

I do have a question. How easy is it to migrate to another setup? I am thinking about change out the motherboard and CPU.
post #1372 of 2123 Old 12-18-2006, 09:00 AM

www.lime-technology.com isn't resolving with my DNS, anyone else seeing this? Fingers crossed it's a temporary glitch or an issue with my provider :-(
post #1373 of 2123 Old 12-18-2006, 09:48 AM

Not for me either.
post #1374 of 2123 Old 12-18-2006, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
same here....
post #1375 of 2123 Old 12-18-2006, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters View Post

same here....

It is working for me... prorbably a network blip...
post #1376 of 2123 Old 12-18-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. L. View Post

It is working for me... prorbably a network blip...

cleared my dns cache- still no go for either the site or the forum, ditto nslookup.

Alex
post #1377 of 2123 Old 12-18-2006, 03:26 PM

it won't load from my home or office.
post #1378 of 2123 Old 12-18-2006, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
same results here....again....and again....and again
post #1379 of 2123 Old 12-18-2006, 03:44 PM

I've had problems with the site only once before, when Tom upgraded to the new release/storefront a few months back.

Alex
post #1380 of 2123 Old 12-18-2006, 03:46 PM

Well, since I'm here-

Has anyone used Spinrite to boot/fix drives? I think I have data corruption on one drive, and reiserfsck is not fixing things, plus Tom really didn't recommend any other course. Another, possibly connected issue, is I cant shutdown the array! it doesnt register any shutdown commands, and the webserver becomes sluggish/ stops working after a while. I pulled the syslog and this is the error, trying to shutdown:

"...unraid kernel: vs-3050: wait_buffer_until_released: nobody releases buffer >. still waiting <-1500000000>JDirty !JWAIT"

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page