MyHD MDP-130 Meta FAQ - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #121 of 123 Old 02-01-2020, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
Well..."the woods is full of 'em", as my older relatives used to say, but they're mainly not in the form of plug-in cards these days. I, myself, particularly like the HDHomerun tuners because they're supported by our own CW_EPG DVR software (see my sig), but they're also well supported by the company's own Win10 viewer app with its own DVR option. You can either hook HDHomerun devices up to a LAN or simply connect them to your HTPC via a spare Ethernet port (which could be via a USB adapter).
So, to clarify, the CW_EPG DVR versus the HDHomeRun "Win20 viewer app with its own DVR option" would be an either/or scenario? Either would support timeshifting, i.e. REW/PAUSE/FF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 123 Old 02-04-2020, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
Well..."the woods is full of 'em", as my older relatives used to say, but they're mainly not in the form of plug-in cards these days. I, myself, particularly like the HDHomerun tuners because they're supported by our own CW_EPG DVR software (see my sig), but they're also well supported by the company's own Win10 viewer app with its own DVR option. You can either hook HDHomerun devices up to a LAN or simply connect them to your HTPC via a spare Ethernet port (which could be via a USB adapter).
Thanks again for your input and help. After performing some research, I think I'm leaning towards upgrading to a Hauppauge PCI card for a number of reasons. The card I'm looking at is the WinTV-quad HD and appears to be currently backordered, so I still have time to do more research and shop around.
Andre'
post #123 of 123 Old 02-04-2020, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post
So, to clarify, the CW_EPG DVR versus the HDHomeRun "Win10 viewer app with its own DVR option" would be an either/or scenario? Either would support timeshifting, i.e. REW/PAUSE/FF?
Yes, they're essentially either/or because both require annual subscriptions for duplicative services. However, they're also both aimed at recording rather than timeshifting even though they can be coaxed to perform the latter, so given your inclination toward the latter, AIUI, neither is ideal and there's probably a better set-top-box solution out there for you. In particular, you wouldn't need any subscriptions. The only such systems that I have personal experience with are the DViCo TViX boxes and they're now long out of business, but I think there's a forum here with information on the others.

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page