Cliff Watson PVR app for HD Homerun, MyHD, and FusionHDTV - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #4381 of 4406 Old 10-20-2018, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 111
CW_EPG Running Very Slow

It may be related to the latest update for Java installed the other day.

CP_EPG is stuck with the same message on my Backup HTPC.

Java has not been updated on that W7 HTPC.

CW_EPG was stuck "Loading Guide Data" at 14:30 for the automatic run at 3:46PM.

I closed it and restarted, Download data was so slow that I closed CW_EPG a second time.

I then went to options to force full data download. It is still "Loading Guide Data".

I was able to do manual schedules and "Schedule Matches".

Captures are running and the one that just finished is fine.

SHF

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CW_EPG-hang.png
Views:	450
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	2471186  

Last edited by SFischer1; 10-20-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 4406 Old 10-20-2018, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo View Post
Now I'd like to know if there's any way to get CW_EPG to recognize the premium channels. I think the problem is that CW_EPG uses a local XML file (Digital Antenna.xml for OTA) and SD's new system doesn't. Their software still creates it.... However, a scan of the Connect doesn't add the premium channels to the XML file.
The reason it doesn't add them is that those channels don't have "frequencies" etc. I've found that the new HDHR devices use a different command syntax to "tune" IPTV (aka Premium TV) channels and the older command sequence does not support those.
Quote:
Is it possible for CW_EPG to work with these?
The short answer is "yes". The caveat is that it will require some significant new coding and I'm not sure that I can persuade the coders to take it on, but I'm intrigued enough to try.

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
post #4383 of 4406 Old 10-20-2018, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFischer1 View Post
CW_EPG was stuck "Loading Guide Data"....
I suspect it was a Schedules Direct issue. My auto run this afternoon also, judging by the time of receipt of the status email, was slow but a test just now was normal.

HDHomerun users: Please check out our free Cliff Watson EPG PVR software to schedule your recordings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4384 of 4406 Old 10-20-2018, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post
I suspect it was a Schedules Direct issue. My auto run this afternoon also, judging by the time of receipt of the status email, was slow but a test just now was normal.
My backup HTPC finally finished downloading. So likely it was a Schedules Direct issue.

I can reset my main HTPC now and try again.

Thanks.

SHF
post #4385 of 4406 Old 10-20-2018, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just discovered that MSFT is now forcing you to edit Group Policy on W7 if you do not want updates to be downloaded and installed automatically.

SHF
post #4386 of 4406 Old 10-22-2018, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My backup HTPC finally finished downloading. So likely it was a Schedules Direct issue.

I can reset my main HTPC now and try again.

Thanks.

SHF
No, it was MY BAD.

I was helping someone in Ottawa Canada on a cable system with FreeGuide and had set up a second Schedules Direct lineup for his cable provider.

In FreeGuide you can only use one SD lineup at a time which is in the XMLtv conf file.

CW_EPG apparently downloads all defined lineups with no mention in the log that it has done so. A quick scan of the PDF files did not tell of this feature.

By removing the Ottawa Canada lineup in SD normal downloads speeds for CW_EPG resumed.

SHF
post #4387 of 4406 Old 10-22-2018, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

It appears that we will add Premium TV support. Please PM* me if you're interested in beta testing this.

N.B.: You'll have to subscribe to the SiliconDust $34.99/mo service to be able to record the new channels because (a) they only play for 2 minutes in Demo mode and (b) they only appear in the HDHR's "Digital Antenna.xml" [sic] channel lists when subscribed.

*I should have said "email or PM"

Last edited by TPeterson; 10-23-2018 at 08:45 AM.
post #4388 of 4406 Old 10-22-2018, 09:58 PM
ebo
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
It appears that we will add Premium TV support. Please PM me if you're interested in beta testing this.
You have a PM. Short version: I'm interested.
post #4389 of 4406 Old 10-26-2018, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

CW_EPG "Tuner Channels" column width adjustment

Terry,

A long time ago I read a post that the "Tuner Channels" on the options page now had provision to change the width of the columns. It was a thank you for addition of this feature but it might have been a request to add the feature instead.

I remember trying to change the width of the columns but failing and not following it up.

I now want to add entries to the "Mapped Channels" for both RF 44 and RF 48 (VC 2) for my main antenna. I am failing because the RF channels are not displayed and I get "Conflicts With Mapped Channel" trying either the top entry or the bottom entry for KTVU.

Checking the "Channel Mapping" part of the CW_EPG "Email Options" KTVU VC 2 RF 48 is not mapped for the two main "Sutro" HDHR tuners.

With all the channel changing coming up I would very much want this feature. There is a lot of white space available.

I have testing changing my desktop normal 150% down to 100% and see no difference.

TIA

SHF

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CW_EPG_Options.PNG
Views:	355
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	2474060  
ccrider2 likes this.
post #4390 of 4406 Old 10-26-2018, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Nani, your problem isn't with column widths, but rather that you can't assign a single Schedules Direct channel to more than one channel on a given tuner. To map both rf48 and rf44 versions of KTVU's 2.1 channel you first need to go to Schedules Direct and add the rf48 channel to your lineup. It's called "KTVULD". Then, after downloading the Schedules Direct listing to update CW_EPG's data, you can map both "2.1" channels, one each to KTVUDT and KTVULD.

P.S.: I agree that it would be nice if the Tuner Channel list were to show the rf channel numbers, but that will have to wait for the next full CW_EPG update.
ccrider2 likes this.

Last edited by TPeterson; 10-26-2018 at 02:18 PM.
post #4391 of 4406 Old 10-26-2018, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nani, your problem isn't with column widths, but rather that you can't assign a single Schedules Direct channel to more than one channel on a given tuner. To map both rf48 and rf44 versions of KTVU's 2.1 channel you first need to go to Schedules Direct and add the rf48 channel to your lineup. It's called "KTVULD". Then, after downloading the Schedules Direct listing to update CW_EPG's data, you can map both "2.1" channels, one each to KTVUDT and KTVULD.

P.S.: I agree that it would be nice if the Tuner Channel list were to show the rf channel numbers, but that will have to wait for the next full CW_EPG update.
Thanks.

SHF
post #4392 of 4406 Old 11-24-2018, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

NFL Game names incorrect bug

Terry,

Has the NFL Game name incorrect in the matches list been reported?

It does not affect the actual capture scheduled which is correct.

Until ~ 9 AM I can provide a screen shot(s).

SHF
post #4393 of 4406 Old 11-24-2018, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Has the NFL Game name incorrect in the matches list been reported?
It has been now. I see the problem here as well. Thanks. It is peculiar, but does not affect the scheduling, as you say. We'll have to watch for repeats.

post #4394 of 4406 Old 12-23-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb Setting Up CW_EPG (In the Future)

Hi, Terry.

I am two 25' RG6 cables away from getting my backup HTPC fully working, Fusion5 RT Gold and MyHD (MDP-130) just barely work with 25' RG-59/u from my Distribution Amplifier.

Thinking about the process of setting up CW_EPG using (Withheld) and making changes in the future I propose the following file / table.

-------------------------------------------------
A user can Create / Change / Extend this table with no CW_EPG involvement or checking.

Only when the file is offered to CW_EPG is any checking is done by CW_EPG at all and the user is expected to check /override / change to what works using other planned future input if necessary.

Format is "csv", Comma Separated Variable, I have four or more programs that can read / write / create this format. There are free programs available on the web that can also. CW_EPG uses this format for some of it's files already, perhaps some more can be changed to this format.

Fields that will not change:

Scheduled Direct Stream Names, Virtual Channels.

Fields that the user may change, or CW_EPG when asked to update the table. (Or create from existing settings, great for bring up a second or new HTPC.

Scheduled Direct Stream Names may be reordered by the user for antenna differences and may be duplicates.

Stream Names matching the PSIP.

RF channels with Start Date & Time, End Date & Time. At least Three sets available.

User Defined Fields for their notes, Note1, Note2, Note3 ...

Ignore block start and Ignore block end that lines between are not processed. (Old or Future Use.)

Tuner Block start and end to be ignored for that tuner.

Tuner USE start and end to be used for that tuner.

Antenna number (MyHD only mainly).

This is how I am going to maintain CW_EPG manually, initial data will be extracted from my active HTPC.

We have too many changes upcoming due to the repack, different names for different tuner data and other problems that can be made easier for the user.

This are my ideas / notes done while not watching NFL football from what I have learned setting up my Backup HTPC.

They just are my initial ideas and subject to being judged nonsense / incorrect / or not the best way to accomplish the goal of reducing / clarifying the user changes needed in the future.

SHF
post #4395 of 4406 Old 05-14-2019, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please help... CW EPG doesn't list tuner channels and can't schedule recordings.

I'm setting up a *new* Win7 64-bit machine so I can retire my creaky XP HTPC with MyHD & Fusion cards which has been running CW EPG for years. (Once the Win7 machine is running I'll to move the Fusion card to it.)

The new Win7 PC sees a new HDHomerun Extend (2 tuners and capable of H.264 compression) running 20190417 firmware. It's networked via a router. HDHR software is installed on the new PC, including hdhomerun_config.exe, hdhomerun_setup.exe, etc.

VLC Player was installed to get the needed audio codec Win7 didn't provide. Now, live TV viewing works via HDHomerun_view.exe and Windows Media Player.

The CW_EPG installer complained that it needed Java RTE, so jre1.8.0_211 (32-bit) was installed. Then, downloading EPG info from Schedules Direct into CW_EPG was successful.

So it should all be working now, right?

The problem is: CW EPG doesn't show Tuner Channels in the Options window. Pressing "Scan" will fill the Tuner Channels list temporarily, but only 8 channels show instead of Digital Antenna.xml's 28 channels. Mapping one of those 8 channels causes the Tuner Channels list to go blank again. Auto map doesn't do any mapping either. Pressing "Schedule Matches" in the Main window causes the Matches list to disappear until CW EPG is restarted, and no entries show in The Scheduled Items and History tabs.

I'm hoping this is just a software configuration issue, but nothing I've tried has worked. Searching this forum, it doesn't seem anyone else has asked about this particular problem. Could it be a bad mix of 32-bit and 64-bit programs? Can anyone guide me in trouble-shooting?

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Main Window snip.PNG
Views:	7
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	2566952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Options Window snip.PNG
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	2566954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital Antenna_xml snip.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	2566956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Window snip2.PNG
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	2566962  
post #4396 of 4406 Old 05-14-2019, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_rabbits View Post
Please help... CW EPG doesn't list tuner channels and can't schedule recordings.
Thanks for any help!
After having the HDHomeRun Setup program scan for programs you did restart your computer right.

That you show that the scan was done suggests that step might have been missed.

EDIT: Did you press "SCAN" in CW_EPG, I am not sure what you are saying.

After the HDHR setup Scan did you click "apply".

I am running W7 32 Bit with currently eight (8) HDHR Tuners and have yet to try 64 Bit.

Also, are you using a normal user account after installing on an administrator account.

Due to MyHD I only have one account, an administrator account.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 05-14-2019 at 08:28 PM.
post #4397 of 4406 Old 05-14-2019, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

@six_rabbits , you need to restart CWHelper after you have scanned your HDHR channels using the Silicon Dust utility, as I see from your screen shot that you did. The easiest way to do that, as SHF suggested, is to simply restart the PC. Then CWHelper, which is the keeper of the tuner channel lists, will have the info for CW_EPG to display and use for scheduling. We're working on an update that will remove that requirement.

Please post here if you need more assistance.

Last edited by TPeterson; 05-14-2019 at 09:29 PM.
post #4398 of 4406 Old 05-14-2019, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@six_rabbits , you need to restart CWHelper after you have scanned your HDHR channels if you used the Silicon Dust utility. The easiest way to do that, as SHF suggested, is to simply restart the PC. Then CWHelper, which is the keeper of the tuner channel lists, will have the info for CW_EPG to display and use for scheduling. We're working on an update that will remove that requirement.

Please post here if you need more assistance.
Terry,

I am a bit concerned that six_rabbits might have done a scan within CW_EPG /Options/Right Click a Tuner/and "Scan for Channels".

six_rabbits, if you have not done this, please do not except under advice from Terry

That is my normal method now that HDHR does not allow for VC duplicates. It works just fine, but.

I am not running W7 64 Bit and have only one administrator user.

It there is an administrator account and a normal user account, will running CW_EPG's scan for channels on the normal user get him into a case that is hard to back out of.

I have no need to, but I am interested as to if you can back out of CW_EPG tuner scan and revert to the HDHR Setup scan which six_rabbits screen shot looks good.

SHF

Last edited by SFischer1; 05-14-2019 at 10:20 PM.
post #4399 of 4406 Old 05-14-2019, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

@SFischer1 , I think that you're inventing problems that aren't there.

@six_rabbits , if restarting your PC doesn't result in a normal Tuner Channels display, please speak up.

BTW, if both Silicon Dust and CW_EPG's own channel scans exist, CWHelper will use the more recent of the two. Furthermore, CW_EPG's normal installation sets up the machine to put all data into locations that are common to all users. So it shouldn't matter how many or what kind of users are registered.

Last edited by TPeterson; 05-14-2019 at 10:54 PM.
post #4400 of 4406 Old 05-15-2019, 06:31 AM

[QUOTE=SFischer1;58049520]

After having the HDHomeRun Setup program scan for programs you did restart your computer right.

>>> Yes, many times. I've been at this for at least a week.

EDIT: Did you press "SCAN" in CW_EPG,

>>> Yes.

After the HDHR setup Scan did you click "apply".

>>> Yes.

Also, are you using a normal user account after installing on an administrator account.

>>> Yes, there's just one account on the machine, an Admin account.

post #4401 of 4406 Old 05-15-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
@SFischer1 , I think that you're inventing problems that aren't there.

@six_rabbits , if restarting your PC doesn't result in a normal Tuner Channels display, please speak up.

BTW, if both Silicon Dust and CW_EPG's own channel scans exist, CWHelper will use the more recent of the two. Furthermore, CW_EPG's normal installation sets up the machine to put all data into locations that are common to all users. So it shouldn't matter how many or what kind of users are registered.

Restarting the PC does not result in a normal Tuner Channels display, so I am hereby speaking up.

Here is a step-by-step. Bear in mind that HDHR software is still installed, set up, and working as I expect it should. (What do I know?) I can watch live TV and all the channel info is showing...

For no good reason, I uninstalled CW EPG, restarted the PC, downloaded a fresh copy of the 4.3.1.0 installer, and reinstalled CW EPG. Spoiler Alert: This didn't help at all, though the install process went smoother since JRE was present on the PC this time.

I started CW EPG, and downloaded the Schedules Direct data. No problems with that.

I got the pop-up stating "no mapped channels". I clicked Options in the Main window. In the Options window, Tuner Channels is blank, except for the column headers. Apparently, CW EPG must not be finding/loading Digital Antenna.xml which is located at C:\Program Data\Silicondust\HDHomerun.

Clicking Scan in CW EPG's Option window partially fills the Tuner Channels list. There are 8 channels for each of the two tuners, so 16 entries total. There *should be* 28 channels per tuner, so 56 entries expected.

Mapping one tuner channel to one SD Station creates an entry in the list of mapped channels, AND causes the Tuner Channels list to disappear (except for the column headers). Clicking the Scan button gets the Tuner Channels list back, but still just the 8 channels, not the complete list of 28 channels. I can map another channel and the Tuner Channels list will again disappear.

Now, since I have a mapped channel, the Listings data will appear in the Main window. Right clicking on a listing allows me to add it to the Programs To Match list, and matches appear in the Matches window.

Clicking on Schedule Matches in the Main window greys-out the Schedule Matches button. But on the Scheduled Items tab there are no entries. No Scheduled Captures appear. Ditto for the Capture History tab.

Returning to the Main window, the Matches list, and the box it was in, has completely disappeared. (See the "Main Window snip2" in my first post.) Closing and restarting CW EPG is the only way I can find to get it to come back. So I close and restart, and the Matches list has returned.

End of step-by-step. The above behavior is very repeatable, as I've repeated it many times, LoL. Restarting the PC at this point doesn't change behavior.

The only other clue I can think to offer: notice in the "Options Window snip" I posted earlier, look at the Mapped Channels list. See the Phy column has "null" in every entry? Does this mean anything?

Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks, and thanks again for the quick response to my first post.
post #4402 of 4406 Old 05-15-2019, 08:22 AM

I hope this is helpful... I found the CW_EPG folder in C:\ProgramData

Copied it to the desktop. On the copy, I

Deleted the cw_sched.mdb file, only because it was big.

Created a .zip of the remainder... which is attached. Maybe it contains hints to what's wrong.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CW_EPG in ProgramData folder.zip (30.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by six_rabbits; 05-15-2019 at 08:24 AM. Reason: No need to quote previous post.
post #4403 of 4406 Old 05-15-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I hope this is helpful... I found the CW_EPG folder in C:\ProgramData

Copied it to the desktop. On the copy, I

Deleted the cw_sched.mdb file, only because it was big.

Created a .zip of the remainder... which is attached. Maybe it contains hints to what's wrong.
Great work, thanks! I was going to suggest that you do a -detail run of CW_EPG just to make this process easier, but you've sussed out the needed data.

You've run into a problem created by changes in recent Silicon Dust windows utilities' channel scans that omit showing the rf protocol. I will pm you a link to an updated version of CWHelper that handles this. However, IIRC, you can also work around this by using CW_EPG's own channel scan. That's the one on the right-click menu for each of the Tuners shown on the Options window--NOT the button labeled "Scan" on the Options window, which is simply intended to find other computers on your LAN that are running as CW_EPG Helpers. You have not yet done the former "scan", which leave their data in the folder that you zipped.

post #4404 of 4406 Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Great work, thanks! I was going to suggest that you do a -detail run of CW_EPG just to make this process easier, but you've sussed out the needed data.

You've run into a problem created by changes in recent Silicon Dust windows utilities' channel scans that omit showing the rf protocol. I will pm you a link to an updated version of CWHelper that handles this. However, IIRC, you can also work around this by using CW_EPG's own channel scan. That's the one on the right-click menu for each of the Tuners shown on the Options window--NOT the button labeled "Scan" on the Options window, which is simply intended to find other computers on your LAN that are running as CW_EPG Helpers. You have not yet done the former "scan", which leave their data in the folder that you zipped.
The new CWHelper has done wonders. All the expected channels appear, channels map, and scheduled captures appear as files on the PC. I don't want to be impulsive, but it looks like success to me.

Sorry, but I didn't try right-clicking on the tuner in the Options window, so I can't confirm if this was work around which was available all along. I didn't know that context menu existed... my bad.

Thanks for all your help. It's much appreciated.
post #4405 of 4406 Old 05-15-2019, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The new CWHelper has done wonders. All the expected channels appear, channels map, and scheduled captures appear as files on the PC. I don't want to be impulsive, but it looks like success to me.
Thanks for the update. Glad that it's now working. You should also be OK on the FusionHDTV, but--alas--MyHD will of course not work on your new 64-bit OS. (I thought that SHF and I were the only two left on the planet who were still fiddling with FusionHDTV)

post #4406 of 4406 Old 05-15-2019, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... (I thought that SHF and I were the only two left on the planet who were still fiddling with FusionHDTV)
I am not fiddling much, if VLC Media Player has too many problems with one of my really bad captures I drop the file on Fusion's Icon. It sometimes will play a very poor file that I wish to watch.

Now that I have finally pinned down my Fusion problems to having the card in one particular slot, after I find time to swap Fusion and MyHD it may be in use more. I like it's time shifting but I will never try any do any more captures.

SHF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page