AutumnWave / OnAir USB HDTV Tuners - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Which OnAir tuner do you own?
OnAir GT 199 49.75%
OnAir Creator 37 9.25%
Don't own one yet 164 41.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2761 of 2979 Old 10-15-2009, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These are still BETA, but providing these for you (to be used AT YOUR OWN RISK).
I'll post some changelogs tomorrow.

Driver and Program combined into a single installer. (EDIT: If you're ONLY using Media Center or 3rd party apps, you don't need to install the 'Program'. Just the 'Driver' should be necessary.)

OnAir GT: http://www.AutumnWave.com/files/supp...p_3204beta.exe
OnAir Creator/Sasem: http://www.AutumnWave.com/files/supp...p_3204beta.exe

Please send all bug (or success) reports to [email protected] with the word 'Beta' in the subject somewhere.

64-bit users should no longer need the "F8" trick on boot, but please post if it works.

- Ryan

AutumnWave Technical Support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2979 Old 10-15-2009, 11:35 PM

I have tested the latest driver posted, and it looks as though the 2 GT tuner issues is 75% resolved. Windows Media Center uses both tuners, you can restart Media Center and both tuners stay available for use. But the 25% that isn't fixed: After rebooting your PC Media Center will give you an error when trying to watch live tv. The solution I found to this issue is to close Media Center, unplug the tuners, then plug 1 tuner in, start Media Center, watch live tv, then close Media Center, plug in the 2nd tuner, restart Media Center and then both tuners are available again. Something in the PC bootup seems to be confusing Media Center causing the 2 tuners to conflict with each other. This is a minor inconvenience that I'm sure will be worked out before the final driver is released.

On a side note I like the subtle changes in the OnAir GT Software.
post #2763 of 2979 Old 10-16-2009, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpertusio View Post

These are still BETA, but providing these for you (to be used AT YOUR OWN RISK).
I'll post some changelogs tomorrow.

Driver and Program combined into a single installer. (EDIT: If you're ONLY using Media Center or 3rd party apps, you don't need to install the 'Program'. Just the 'Driver' should be necessary.)

OnAir GT: http://www.AutumnWave.com/files/supp...p_3204beta.exe
OnAir Creator/Sasem: http://www.AutumnWave.com/files/supp...p_3204beta.exe

Please send all bug (or success) reports to [email protected] with the word 'Beta' in the subject somewhere.

64-bit users should no longer need the "F8" trick on boot, but please post if it works.

- Ryan

Just downloaded and should install later today. But what the heck is the F8 trick on boot?

(Vista 64)

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2764 of 2979 Old 10-16-2009, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

tbmccann: Will look into it. Thanks for the report.

Tom (trbarry): Unsigned 'kernel mode' drivers required 64-bit users to press F8 on Windows boot to Disable the Signed Driver requirement. These beta drivers have been signed. (FYI: This isn't the same as Windows Logo signing.) Only 64-bit versions of Windows have issues with unsigned drivers.

- Ryan
post #2765 of 2979 Old 10-16-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

tbmccann: Will look into it. Thanks for the report.

Tom (trbarry): Unsigned 'kernel mode' drivers required 64-bit users to press F8 on Windows boot to Disable the Signed Driver requirement. These beta drivers have been signed. (FYI: This isn't the same as Windows Logo signing.) Only 64-bit versions of Windows have issues with unsigned drivers.

- Ryan

I run Vista64 and have never had to do that. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the OnAir 3.2.0.3 drivers a number of times. Was that version signed? Or was it causing problems I didn't know about?

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

post #2766 of 2979 Old 10-16-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, 3.2.0.3 was signed. There were some previous (3.2.0.4) beta drivers posted here in the last few months that were NOT signed. Anyone using the 3.2.0.4 Beta testing drivers had to use "F8". As of this most recent version, F8 is no longer necessary.
post #2767 of 2979 Old 10-16-2009, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Posting a slightly updated version of the Beta Driver/Program files:

[EDIT: Removed old file links. Newer files posted later in this thread ]

==============

- Ryan

post #2768 of 2979 Old 10-16-2009, 06:28 PM

Ryan are these driver and software links posted on 10-16-09 the same as the ones posted on 10-15-09?
post #2769 of 2979 Old 10-16-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tim, the 16th are newer than the 15th. I wanted to get you guys an even more-updated version.

- Ryan
post #2770 of 2979 Old 10-17-2009, 08:57 AM

Liked: 12
Thank you so much! Working great on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. So glad the aero doesn't switch to windows basic anymore when launching the program.

ALSO! I went to Options -> Dec/Encoder tab -> clicked Audio radial button -> check marked "Enable Decoder Config" -> clicked on Properties button -> clicked on "Enable S/PDIF outpout" and getting audio, without a sound card, from the S/PDIF output of my ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard! Sounds better than the wave audio on channels sending dolby digital audio.
post #2771 of 2979 Old 10-17-2009, 03:15 PM

Great to see software is being refined. That totally rocks!

Ryan, wondering if this tuner will ever be able to tune cable QAM channels "not in the clear", or DirecTv? Also wondering if code will ever be released to public?
post #2772 of 2979 Old 10-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Never gonna happen with any consumer QAM tuner.
post #2773 of 2979 Old 10-18-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevk View Post

Ryan, wondering if this tuner will ever be able to tune cable QAM channels "not in the clear", or DirecTv? Also wondering if code will ever be released to public?

This isn't going to happen. A DirecTV tuner may be coming in the future, but we'll never see a non-cablecard tuner that can tune encrypted channels from cable or any other source. But CableCard tuners are going to be available for users even if you're PC isn't an OEM build in the near future - if they aren't already available. I don't know if those tuners will work with Windows Vista MC or just Windows 7 MC. I haven't read enough on that yet.
post #2774 of 2979 Old 10-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Theoritically, all three are possible maybe-but unlikely. For recording of protected cable content to happen, the device would have to pass some CableLabs certification process that might be costly. If passed, then a software update would allow recording of whatever cable you are subscribe to (Downloadable Conditional Access System-DCAS) .
Release of proprietory code may be the least likely, for legal and also companies self preservation financial reasons. But, why mess with it. Just make a feature request to Ryan, and he'll take care of you.
post #2775 of 2979 Old 10-19-2009, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

No encrypted QAM channel support planned for the near future, sorry.
What kind of code would you be asking about? Any feature in particular that you would need it for?

- Ryan
post #2776 of 2979 Old 10-19-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:

No encrypted QAM channel support planned for the near future, sorry.

What kind of code would you be asking about? Any feature in particular that you would need it for?

- Ryan

Nothing major at all, but I always like the old VCR feature that allowed you to pause a live recording during commercials, and then resume recording right where you paused after commercial. Some early TV tuners had this feature - wondering how tough that would be to implement. Also wondering if you have any future plans for making a tuner that captures encrypted cable?
post #2777 of 2979 Old 10-20-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Any feature in particular that you would need it for?

- Ryan

I know of a feature that might be helpful for people using an antenna, and it would be a big help for us TV engineers - a display of what the tuner equalizer settings are. That way we could determine the polarity and magnitude of reflections. This could be quite helpful in orienting antennas, since S/N ratio can indicate either problems with signal level or reflections, while the equalizer settings would only indicate reflections.

Not exactly a common need, but it would make my life easier!

Thanks,

DTV Dave
post #2778 of 2979 Old 10-23-2009, 01:46 PM

I just installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64b, and tried to install the beta drivers verison 3.2.0.4. When I try to open the onair gt I get a error message about "Window Creation Error". Anyway to fix that?

By the way, my gt is about 3 years old... do I still install the nvidia software that came on the cd. or is there a updated version?

Thanks.
post #2779 of 2979 Old 10-24-2009, 12:58 PM

I got exactly the same problem last night. I then tried WCE but it could only see Comcast analog channels, no QAM channels at all. Of course that is better than with Vista but I would like to be able to record the games on local channels in HD.
post #2780 of 2979 Old 10-24-2009, 01:49 PM

Yep. Same for me. I ended up using Media Center, which I have never used before. After the first scan, MC reported that it found the analog tuner, but I searched again, for a 2nd tuner, and this time the digital channels were found.

MC actually works pretty good.. Except that With the OnAir program I just had my HD channels (8) selected as favorites so I could tune them in easily.

Not so easy with MC, but I guess I'll get used to it.
post #2781 of 2979 Old 10-25-2009, 03:08 PM

You can create a favorite channels line up in Media Center also -
Right Click the program guide---> Click Edit Favorites
post #2782 of 2979 Old 10-26-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi guys! Anyone with the 'Window Creation Failed' error, please send me your Install.log file, which is found here:
C:\\Program Files\\OnAirSolution\\OnAirGT\\Install.log
(or 'OnAirCR' if you use the OnAir Creator / Sasem)

Send the log to [email protected] with the word 'Beta' somewhere in the subject line.
- Ryan
post #2783 of 2979 Old 10-26-2009, 06:02 PM

I just upgraded to 64bit windows 7. I installed the original drivers found on OnAir's website and it did not work. I uninstalled it then installed the beta drivers listed above. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times and manually deleted some of the driver files in the system32 folder. Analog works but when switching to digital (set for QAM) i get the error "Mode Changing, Filter connect error [CCparser(Output)<---->Video INput)Intervideo Video decoder for Sasem] You need to reinstall." I have emailed my install log to [email protected]

Any ideas? Thanks

This is all from the onair program, not MCE.
post #2784 of 2979 Old 10-27-2009, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

blackbird, You're the only person I have received an Install log from. I sent you an updated version for your own testing. Check for an email with more details.

- Ryan

post #2785 of 2979 Old 10-27-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

blackbird, You're the only person I have received an Install log from. I sent you an updated version for your own testing. Check for an email with more details.

- Ryan

I was going to install the newest beta but my win 7 should be arriving in a few days so I decided to wait for that.

- Tom

post #2786 of 2979 Old 10-27-2009, 05:28 PM

A short report to Ryan... On an i7 920 running released win 7 pro 3204 beta installed with no hitch and so far no operational problems discovered. With the NVIDIA decoder running, for the first time I can invoke decoder properties. I expect there may be some unknown issues (to me) but at this point all looks good. Nice work.
post #2787 of 2979 Old 10-27-2009, 10:21 PM

Hey Ryan, I'm having an issue with Win 7 and my GT and I don't know if you can help or not.

I currently dual boot my notebook with Vista SP2 and Windows 7 Enterprise. When I use my GTs (I have 2 of them) to record digital cable while running Vista I get flawless recordings every time. But when I try recording TV while running Win 7 I get alot of jerky video and dropped video and audio frames. I have tried using the regular drivers and software on the website, and have also tried the beta and get the same results. I have tried setting Win 7 to install and run the driver and the program in Vista compatibility mode and still get the video issues. I use a powered USB Hub because I have had issues with power to the GTs from my notebook. I have also tried using the same video drivers that Vista is using in Windows 7, and still no dice. Is there anything else you can think of to troubleshoot the problems I'm having?

Here is my notebooks specs.
HP Pavilion dv6226us
Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.6Ghz
2 GB RAM
Intel 945GM Graphics w/256MB
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit
Windows 7 Enterprise 32bit
post #2788 of 2979 Old 10-31-2009, 06:56 PM

Ryan, install.log was sent to you today. Window Creation Error

Windows 7 x64 Pro
Intel Q6600
8GB RAM
NVIDIA 8800 GTS
OnAir Creator
post #2789 of 2979 Old 11-01-2009, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
First, thanks for posting this, Ryan!

I found this ( the second, 10-16, version) and installed it last night and seemed to work fine, but I notice that some 1920x1080 16x9 channels are displayed as 4:3 (letter box left and right.

I am trying to go back to the 3.2.0.3 set but can't seem to get rid of the 3.2.0.4 driver - probably SXS's fault

So I will continue with trying to go back but thought I'd post this to see if you had thoughts!

EDIT: Okay, with the help of SLAX, I did convince Win7 to go back to the 3203 driver so I can say that 3203 shows the whole HD pic on those channels. So wondering what I might have done wrong?

EDIT2: I re-installed it and it seems to be working fine, so I think scratch that error report.

However, I get lots of horizontal limnes on motion with overlay, none on 3D, [all of which is the same as 3203 ], but in 3204, with 3D, I get occasional screen jerks - every few seconds...
Went back to overlay and tried to see what was causing it. Went to 195.39beta but no change. unchecked aero : system / Advanced system settings / Advanced tab, Performance settings : bottom checkbox "use visual styles..." Uncheck it.

So I would ask a question - I've got a pretty fast system and vid card. but clearly, the TV is very demanding. Have any thoughts? Thanks!

Kris
-----
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Q8200 @3.2ghz, 2x2GB,
OCZ [email protected] using slots 2&4, EVGA 9800GTX+ N863 ,
LiteOn DH401S08C at CP56 BluRay player | Hannspree HF289H 28" |
OnAir USB HDTV-GT with 5.1Dolby and Purevideo Silver,
AltecLansing ADA885 (spdif in) speakers, Hannspree HF289H 28", Comcast cable, BFG GS-650,
Win7 firewall, Avast A/V, Win 7

Kris
post #2790 of 2979 Old 11-01-2009, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stardust View Post

Greeting everyone,

A few months ago I was shopping for a HDTV tuner and had my sights set on an "AVerTV Hybrid Volar MAX USB," but the item was stolen and I never even had a chance to use it nor replace it.

However, I'm now interested in purchasing a new tuner, but am unsure which one to get. I do have my choices narrowed down, and I thought about repurchasing the Avery or trying out the OnAir USB HDTV GT this time.

Can you please tell me why do you think the OnAir USB HDTV GT is better than the Avery? Seems like the only difference is the price, and that the later has the ability to capture FM radio signals [which is not a huge consideration for me]. Anyway, thank you very much for your time and assistance!

Tony

no Dolby 5.1, for one thing...

Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page