AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home Theater Computers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/)
-   -   Core 2 Motherboard Complete List - With Hardware Recommendations for a HD HTPC (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/710828-core-2-motherboard-complete-list-hardware-recommendations-hd-htpc.html)

mrandtx 09-20-2007 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugovector View Post

1) I think you definitely are looking at Hardware accelerated decoding a la Nvidia Purevideo.

Not if you throw enough CPU at it. There are numerous online processor, motherboard, and graphics card reviews and discussions about maximum CPU usage and H.264 streams... I seem to recall that at around 3 GHz, Core 2 Duo's are able to handle just about any stream you can throw at them.

Marc

archibael 09-20-2007 01:26 PM

Very true. Though my stock options beckon me to not mention this, I must point out that if power and space are not a concern, it's probably cheaper to get a 2.4GHz processor and a $100 full acceleration video card than it is to get the 3GHz processor.*

*Since I know no one would ever buy a lower priced processor and overclock it.

jimwhite 09-20-2007 01:54 PM

nah!... just get an E4300 and bump it easily to 3gHz

xliver 09-20-2007 06:18 PM

I know I definitely want to go the cheaper route - so if that means Purevideo instead of a 3.0 then yes. But i don't want any issues with capability either, so enough to do everything on the best budget (as always!). Also, I don't want to do any overclocking - i want it to run quiet and cool.

I will def need more than a terabyte over the long term (easily, very easily). Thats why I was thinking separate storage. It will be easy to add additional drives without opening the computer case itself or even taking it off the shelf - I just add it to the storage case in another room.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! - what motherboard, soundcard, processor and a nice small case would you suggest for this beasty?

jimwhite 09-21-2007 12:57 PM

just for drill.... I've been running 3 E4300's at stock voltage and with stock cooler at 3.0 ghz with no heat or stability problems.

eugovector 09-22-2007 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

nah!... just get an E4300 and bump it easily to 3gHz

But if he's looking at a small form factor case, cooling may be an issue. If you're looking for small, quiet, and cheap (and no gaming), you can't beat an $80 8500GT. Even if he's OCs a 4300, noise may come into play as the CPU cycles and fans ramp up.

Nihln 09-23-2007 10:36 AM

Im not able to see the first post any more, am I the only one?

LilGator 09-23-2007 10:49 AM

You don't even need an E4300, I just put together a system with an $85 E2160, simple bump in the BIOS from 200 -> 333 FSB, and mem divider to 2.40, and my RAM's running stock speeds, and CPU @ 3.0GHz rock solid and very cool...

Yes, $85 CPU ... handles EVERYTHING you can throw at it.

eugovector 09-23-2007 01:24 PM

Except $85 is about what I paid for my E4300. Decide what you want and then piece it together over a month or so. You'll have a great computer and save a lot of $$.

susu2k 09-23-2007 10:25 PM

question: I read about hardware which allows to use windows mce without booting up windows. where can i get this, and will i have to replace everything or just the motherboard?

I currently have an a8n-sli deluxe with amd 4400 dual core, ati radeon x1950 w/512 MB 2DHTV, Kingston Hyperx 2048 mb ram. Is this good enough for hd playback? (never had problems until know)

rgds

rajdude 09-24-2007 05:53 AM

I guess you are talking about those Dell laptops . Dell claims they do that. I have seen them and tried to use that feature. It seemed to me that the laptop was still booting windows first. Just that the MCE appeared as if you set up MCE to start automatically.

I think that is just marketing crap.

These laptops do play DVDs without booting windows....but no MCE there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susu2k View Post

question: I read about hardware which allows to use windows mce without booting up windows. where can i get this, and will i have to replace everything or just the motherboard?

I currently have an a8n-sli deluxe with amd 4400 dual core, ati radeon x1950 w/512 MB 2DHTV, Kingston Hyperx 2048 mb ram. Is this good enough for hd playback? (never had problems until know)

rgds

tooter 09-24-2007 08:44 AM

Hi all. I was directed to this site as a good source for HTPC info. I started reading this thread and knew I was in the right spot.

I've seen a number of posts here re. the Gigabyte S2H:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128063

I've been concerned about the fact that the x16 slot only runs at x4. So I was wondering about the Gigabyte DS2R board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128053

It does not have the HDMI or DVI ports on the back, but I figure I'm going to add in a video card, and per Gigabytes web site, this is a true x16 slot.

So my question is whether anyone has used the DS2R for a HTPC, and what folks think about it. I'm originally going to use it for a home office computer without a video card, but after the first of the year I'll probably change it over to the HTPC. I was thinking of using a e6750 cpu. As I'm new to this HTPC stuff (I do build my own desktop boxes), maybe I'm way off track, hence my coming here. Thanks for any feedback.

marty

renethx 09-24-2007 11:50 AM

If you use an external video card, then GA-G33M-DS2R is an almost ideal mATX board. Drawbacks are:

1. There is no S/PDIF out in the rear panel, only an internal connector.

2. It's not good for overclocking FSB 800 processors. (That's not your case, though.)

tooter 09-24-2007 12:05 PM

Thanks renethx for the prompt reply. I may order my parts today. I know the cpu may appear to be overkill, but I want to connect this to a 1080P that I hopefully will purchase after the first of the year (when prices hopefully will come down, though I may have to wait until after the SuperBowl), and use the system not only for HD videos and TV programs, but also for some image and video editing as well as gaming. My son and I both love Flight Sim X, plus a few others (appropriate for a soon-to-be 10yo, no FPS). Hence, the more powerful cpu paired with a good DX10 card. As an office computer, I'll probably OC the hell out of it for fun, but as a HTPC, I'll probably run the cpu at default or only with a mild oc to keep it cool and quiet and it will still provide plenty of juice for games. I see no need for quad core.

marty

turbozed 09-25-2007 08:09 PM

I just (like right now) put together my system below:

GIGABYTE GA-G33M-S2H
Core 2 Duo 6750
Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800
Samsung Spinpoint 500G HD501LJ
Antec Fusion HTPC Case

Glad to report that everything posted fine the first time. Can anyone suggest to me some basic performance tweaks I should consider in the BIOS and what the effect would be?

I know I can manually set my memory to 4-4-4-12. Does this have any performance benefits of its own or is it just for OC'ing?

I know all CPUs are different but has anyone heard of the OC potential of the 6750? I'm looking for a noticeable boost in performance while retaining rock solid stability and a neglible increase in heat as I still want to run my Antec fans at low (This case will be in my bedroom about 7 or 8 ft away).

Vista Home Premium will arrive in a couple of days and the Sharp 46D64U will arrive in a week (supposedly). I'll keep you guys updated.

Oh, and one more thing: The ADESSO Mini RF keyboard works great. I just plugged the RF dongle into a USB port and it started working immediately and let me play around with the BIOS a bit.

renethx 09-25-2007 08:58 PM

Lower memory latency affects certain applications, for example, games. But it hardly affects video playback performance.

E6750 may be able to run at 3.6GHz with stock voltage.

turbozed 09-25-2007 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Lower memory latency affects certain applications, for example, games. But it hardly affects video playback performance.

E6750 may be able to run at 3.6GHz with stock voltage.

Wowz! So do I just need to bump up the clock setting (from 333 to whatever) and that's it? Or are there other settings I would need to change as well?

The last time I OC'ed a CPU was the Celeron 266 so anything you could tell me would be helpful. I think I'll probably end up bumping it up to around 3.2GHz for now.

renethx 09-26-2007 02:23 AM

You need to change System Memory Multiplier too. Choose "2". To achieve 3.2GHz, set FSB = 400MHz; then CPU = 400MHz x 8 = 3.2GHz and Memory = 400MHz x 2 = 800MHz. For details, read HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.2 (graysky are posting the same guide at a lot of forums).

tooter 09-26-2007 12:50 PM

turbozed, are you thinking of adding a video card at any point? I ask because I looked seriously at your mobo, but because of the x16 slot downgrading to x4, I opted for the DS2R, as I plan to add a video card. But the S2H was very appealing, I must admit.

marty

turbozed 09-26-2007 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post

turbozed, are you thinking of adding a video card at any point? I ask because I looked seriously at your mobo, but because of the x16 slot downgrading to x4, I opted for the DS2R, as I plan to add a video card. But the S2H was very appealing, I must admit.

marty

I'm not going to be playing any 3d games, and if I do get a video card it will only be for hardware offload of HD content/video playback.

I've been assured on this thread by knowledgeable folks that the x4 limitation on the S2H PCIe will be enough for video playback purposes on a discrete vid card should I get it.

My 6750 should be able to handle anything I can toss at it at the moment. If some must-have 3d program/game comes out maybe I'll reconsider but I gave it a lot of thought and decided to keep the S2H. So far it posted all my hardware and has no problems. Going to start doing some minor OC'ing with it soon.

turbozed 09-26-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

You need to change System Memory Multiplier too. Choose "2". To achieve 3.2GHz, set FSB = 400MHz; then CPU = 400MHz x 8 = 3.2GHz and Memory = 400MHz x 2 = 800MHz. For details, read HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.2 (graysky are posting the same guide at a lot of forums).

Thanks. You're right, I've seen this guide at like 3 forums now

tooter 09-26-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbozed View Post

I'm not going to be playing any 3d games, and if I do get a video card it will only be for hardware offload of HD content/video playback.

I've been assured on this thread by knowledgeable folks that the x4 limitation on the S2H PCIe will be enough for video playback purposes on a discrete vid card should I get it.

My 6750 should be able to handle anything I can toss at it at the moment. If some must-have 3d program/game comes out maybe I'll reconsider but I gave it a lot of thought and decided to keep the S2H. So far it posted all my hardware and has no problems. Going to start doing some minor OC'ing with it soon.

I'll be anxious to see how it overclocks, as I'm getting the 6750 as well, and the chipsets are quite similar. Also, I'll be running 2 X 1g of GSkill 6400 and a 74g raptor for now. I plan on having mine play some games, hopefully on a 1080P I plan to get after the first of the year, hence my concerns about the x16 slot. But in the short run, I'll be using it without a video card on a 19" CRT in my home office. While I've built desktop systems for over five years now, the whole HTPC thing is new to me, so I'm interested in how others set up their systems.

Good luck.

marty

tooter 09-26-2007 04:07 PM

Well, the Gigabyte DS2R mobo along with an e6750 and a zerotherm hsf (the butterfly) have been ordered from newegg. Should be here in Utah either Friday or Monday. This should be fun. I'll be anxious to see how it matches up to the Gigabyte DS3 with an e6600 in our family computer.

marty

iannecj 09-26-2007 06:56 PM

Fellow HTPCers...

I have been reading the forum for some time scheming and planning my build. It seems to me my concept seems alittle off the beaten path and as such wanted to run them by some more experienced builders.

I want to build a system with a storage emphasis, no gaming, and ability to play all content.

My goals are in order (1.) media storage (music and family pics/videos) and (2.) DVD and (3.) HD content playing and archiving and (4.) Ready to download movies as that service becomes more available and finally (5.) In the future replace my Comcast DVR once I can do that without losing any channels.

Here are the items I propose with comments:

(1.) Case: SILVERSTONE Crown Series CW02B-MXR Black

Already bought this. Chose it for looks and size mainly. Great for storage, cooling and looks. Hold 6 HDD and the new intel southbridge supports 6. Also, I liked the cooling strategy...120mm fan and slots for (2) 92 mm. My belief is that cooler means more reliable and more longevity. Comments?

(2.) PS: CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX ATX12V V2.2 450W Power Supply - Retail
Although not on the recommend list (that I could find) it rates high on silentpcreview.com no modular but above 80% efficiency and rated as silent as the best fan based units. Is it worthy, even though not on the recommended buy list?

(3.)CPU: Intel Dual-Core E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 I notice a lot of people buy big in the CPU department. Do I need to to accomplish my goals? I was thinking of low heat here. Will this do the job and less heat?

(4.) Motherboard: Intel BLKDP35DPM LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - OEM I view this as reliable and don't plan to overclock. Has the ICH9R southbridge capable of morphing my single drive into 6 in the future. It also has SPDIF for a run to my DENON 4306 receiver.

(5.) RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
I see Renethx suggesting the Corsair Value Select 667 but why not this GSKILL for same money? Has heatsink and gets great ratings. Help is needed here?

(6.) Video Card: MSI RX2600XT-T2D512EZ Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB
or GIGABYTE GV-NX85T512HP GeForce 8500GT 512MB

I am not sure which is best. I have a Sony 60 SXRD XBR1 and I notice with my Dell XPS 1710, there is overscann along the bottom. Though of using the 2600XT just to see if ATI does better. Thoughts guys?

(7.) HDD SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
100Gb partion for OS, 400Gb for temp data, will add three drives in dec to go raid 5

(8.) Fans Nexus 92mm Nexus Real Silent Case Fan - BW w/ Fan Mounts
(9.) Tuner Future when I can get my pay content I'll scrap my cable box
(10.) OS Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD

Thanks for taking the time to review...Chris

valkyrie 09-26-2007 09:17 PM

Can't speak to most of it, but I think the only reason the Corsair isn't on the list is that it's relatively new. As I understand it, it's the non-modular version of it's big brother and quite the performer (at least I hope so, I just ordered it for my new build).

renethx 09-27-2007 06:20 AM

NVIDIA's first IGP for Intel, GeForce 7 Series and nForce 6 Series, was released on September 25. It's already on the NVIDIA site. A review is here: Reg Hardware - Nvidia GeForce 7150/nForce 630i integrated chipset.

So far BIOSTAR, Jetway, GIGABYTE and ECS announced mATX motherboards based on this chipset. ASUS, abit, MSI, Foxconn etc. will follow.

GIGABYTE GA-73UM-S2H

This is clearly a better choice than GA-G33M-S2H.

renethx 09-27-2007 06:47 AM

renethx 09-27-2007 06:49 AM

The Core 2 Quad lineup is a bit disappointing. The highest clock is only 3.0GHz, the same as the current lineup, while Q9300, the replacement of Q6600, supports only 6MB L2 cache with the same price as Q6600.

On the other hand Core 2 Duo is good as expected. The 3.0GHz version E8400 is only $183, the same price as the current E6750.

turbozed 09-27-2007 10:46 AM

Quote:

NVIDIA's first IGP for Intel, GeForce 7 Series and nForce 6 Series, was released on September 25. It's already on the NVIDIA site. A review is here: Reg Hardware - Nvidia GeForce 7150/nForce 630i integrated chipset.

So far BIOSTAR, Jetway, GIGABYTE and ECS announced mATX motherboards based on this chipset. ASUS, abit, MSI, Foxconn etc. will follow.

GIGABYTE GA-73UM-S2H

Any idea when this comes out or how much better the video performance will be from a G33M-S2H?

Now I'm seriously thinking about returning the G33M-S2H. Thanks a lot renethx!

Edit: After some digging, it looks like they'll be available from the 10th of October. renethx:

Do you think that the nvidia 7 series GPU will be a significant improvement over the GPU in the G33 and would you wait 2 weeks for it? I have about a week left to RMA the G33M-S2H and I'm really considering doing it. A beefed up graphics capability will make me worry less about future shortcomings of the G33M-S2H in that department.

archibael 09-27-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

That may indeed be accurate, but where are you getting this? The review was far from stellar; have you seen other reviews which were more positive?