Hi, I have everything working in a first install after carefully reading posts in this forum. Thanks a lot!
1. I got XBOX 360 HD-DVD player from Walmart.
2. Connected it to my PC with XFX 7950GT 512MB HDCP compliant card (passive cooling). CPU - E6400 @ 3.2GHz, 1 Gb RAM.
3. Installed latest drivers.
3. Installed PowerDVD Ultra. It will install HD-DVD version only if it detects HD-DVD player, so make sure your player is attached to a PC.
4. Tried to play King Kong on my desktop Acer 19" LCD. It did not. I knew it wouldn't, because monitor was not HDCP-compliant, so no worries here.
5. So, I hooked PC to HDCP-compliant 37" Olevia HDTV. Tried VGA cable first (my HDTV does not have DVI input, only HDMI and VGA), used same VGA to DVI connector on a VGA cable I used with my old monitor. Movie played great.
6. Next, I went back to Walmart and got DVI to HDMI cable, to check if system would work better with unaltered uncompressed digital signal (no signal conversion from DVI to VGA). It worked well, too.
With PureVideo hardware accelerator turned on, stress on CPU drops from 100% to like 25-40%. But I like to turn it off and let CPU do smart de-interlacing (pixel preferred). Quality is better, I think, despite of 100% load and overheat.
So I must point out that DVI to HDMI cable works, thus no need to buy HDMI video cards with driver/compatibility issues. NVIDIA forever!!!