Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server - Page 435 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #13021 of 19525 Old 03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob B View Post

Renethx,
I read several places on the net that the WD10/15/20EADS 5400 RPM drives are unusable for raid.
Can you comment on this..

What about WHS use?

cheers,
Jacob

Cant comment on RAID but the EADS work fine with WHS (have 14 of them). The EARS I have heard have issues with WHS

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13022 of 19525 Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 33
1. How about stability/HDD break downs? How long have you been operating your 14 drives? Reviews on amazon talk about many break downs for the EADS.

2. Do you use your server as a HD-DVR as well (with HDTV tuner cards)?
If YES, do you record to the WHS pool, or do you have dedicated DVR drives, like one pr. tuner card (I have 3 HDTV tuner cards, IEEE 1384 connected).
I want to be sure I can record three HD channels simultanously, while timeshifting a fourth HD channel or watching a 1080P video from the server... Where would the bottleneck be?

cheers,
Jacob
post #13023 of 19525 Old 03-15-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:

1. How about stability/HDD break downs? How long have you been operating your 14 drives? Reviews on amazon talk about many break downs for the EADS.

2. Do you use your server as a HD-DVR as well (with HDTV tuner cards)?
If YES, do you record to the WHS pool, or do you have dedicated DVR drives, like one pr. tuner card (I have 3 HDTV tuner cards, IEEE 1384 connected).
I want to be sure I can record three HD channels simultanously, while timeshifting a fourth HD channel or watching a 1080P video from the server... Where would the bottleneck be?

cheers,
Jacob

I have a mix of EACS and EADS drives, so far no failures (knock on wood). The newest drive is probably around 3-4 moths old. The oldest drive is easily over a year old. I also set up my dad with an HP MediaSmart Ex495 + eSATA enclosure. Those have 9 drives with approx 4 months use and no issues so far (knock on more wood).

Although I do have my HDHomerun set up with my WHS, I do most of my recording on my desktop pc so I can cut out commercials and reencode, and then have it moved to my WHS. However, I know quite a few people who use theri WHS as a TV Tuner farm with SageTV and have no issues. The HDDs would not be the issue as much as making sure you have a sufficiently powered system

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13024 of 19525 Old 03-15-2010, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I have a mix of EACS and EADS drives, so far no failures (knock on wood). The newest drive is probably around 3-4 moths old. The oldest drive is easily over a year old. I also set up my dad with an HP MediaSmart Ex495 + eSATA enclosure. Those have 9 drives with approx 4 months use and no issues so far (knock on more wood).

Although I do have my HDHomerun set up with my WHS, I do most of my recording on my desktop pc so I can cut out commercials and reencode, and then have it moved to my WHS. However, I know quite a few people who use theri WHS as a TV Tuner farm with SageTV and have no issues. The HDDs would not be the issue as much as making sure you have a sufficiently powered system

What do you mean by "sufficiently powered system" - are you talking server in general, or server with tv-tuners needing more power than server without?

What I am afraid of is if I record to the pool, I could theoretically end up writing three HD recordings simultanously to the same drive, as well as reading a HD recording or ripped HD movie from same drive.
I am not deep into how WHS organizes the HDD use...

I do have an EX475 (updated with 2GB) working as multimedia server and backup, but no tuners attached (no firewire and probably too small CPU for multiple HDTV-card server). I run Mediaportal on multiple clients, and I need to port my TV-server from a laptop to a proper server - and really want to combine with WHS Then the TV server would always be on and available...
post #13025 of 19525 Old 03-15-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:

What do you mean by "sufficiently powered system" - are you talking server in general, or server with tv-tuners needing more power than server without?

What I am afraid of is if I record to the pool, I could theoretically end up writing three HD recordings simultanously to the same drive, as well as reading a HD recording or ripped HD movie from same drive.
I am not deep into how WHS organizes the HDD use...

I do have an EX475 (updated with 2GB) working as multimedia server and backup, but no tuners attached (no firewire and probably too small CPU for multiple HDTV-card server). I run Mediaportal on multiple clients, and I need to port my TV-server from a laptop to a proper server - and really want to combine with WHS Then the TV server would always be on and available...

Meant more from a CPU standpoint. For example, I used to have an EX470 with single core CPU. It handled doing single tasks without issue, but once you started adding multiple tasks it would choke. It also had issues handling live tv. Once I built my own WHS with a dual core I have not run into any of those same problems. I haven't messed around with Media Portal or their TV Server in a while, I only tested running SageTV on my WHS

Cheers
post #13026 of 19525 Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:

Renethx,
I read several places on the net that the WD10/15/20EADS 5400 RPM drives are unusable for raid.

What about WHS use?

cheers,
Jacob

The systems in this list don't use a hardware RAID chip. Perhaps the failure rate of a HDD connected to onboard SATA/AOC-SAT2-MV8/AOC-SASLP-MV8 under WHS is the same as that connected to onboard SATA as JBOD under Windows XP/Vista/7.
post #13027 of 19525 Old 03-15-2010, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for Mid-Range ATX or Micro ATX System with AMD, MUST HAVE A GPU that supports HDTV out.

None of the cards you reccomend support HDTV, but my TV requires it. Do you have a modified mid range system you can recommend?

My goals: record OTA HD TV with a dual receiver card, play blu ray discs, stream movies from Netflix, Amazon, etc, Hulu.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #13028 of 19525 Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpurple View Post

Looking for Mid-Range ATX or Micro ATX System with AMD, MUST HAVE A GPU that supports HDTV out.

None of the cards you reccomend support HDTV, but my TV requires it. Do you have a modified mid range system you can recommend?

My goals: record OTA HD TV with a dual receiver card, play blu ray discs, stream movies from Netflix, Amazon, etc, Hulu.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here. EVGA 9500 GT is a good, quiet card.
post #13029 of 19525 Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtapia View Post

I need a motherboard recommendation:

Background:
The main function of this machine is to transcode video. I have an unRAID server, so I don't need more than 2 hard drives in this machine. The most resource intensive game that will be played on this machine will be Minesweeper. This computer will probably be on 24/7, so energy efficient components are a plus. I would like to go with a MicroATX Mid tower case.

This is what I plan to use so far:

# CPU: Core i7 860 2.80GHz LGA1156
# Memory: Depends on which motherboard
# PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W
# Case: Rosewill R101-P-BK

These are two boards in the January recommendations:
GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD4 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
ASRock H55M Pro LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Are they still the way to go? Are there any options with onboard video that will have no trouble playing HD?

Any thoughts on this board?
MSI P55M-GD45 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
post #13030 of 19525 Old 03-16-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

A few days ago I stumbled upon a discussion of how some/many of you use a home server, and that got my gears turning. But just as learning how to build my first and only HTPC..... there's a bunch to learn.

Specifically, I'm thinking of using the low end Core I3 with Gigabyte build Listed on page 401 as the starter for all this, and evidently I need to either daisy chain or otherwise build up gigabit ethernet in the house. Right now I only have the wireless router.

I'm also looking to remotely control an Observatory, but that's another thread. And another branch off a router (several computers already out there)

I've poked around AVS and went to Windows to get a grasp of the concept. Are there any breakdowns that guides others through the learning process as this thread does?

Thanks. In advance.

Quote:

There is a lot of information about WHS on the web. Check out www.mediasmartserver.net, www.wegotserved.com, homeservershow.com, etc... to get some ideas.

You can also go to this thread here on AVS https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...71162&page=587

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
post #13031 of 19525 Old 03-16-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Cant comment on RAID but the EADS work fine with WHS (have 14 of them). The EARS I have heard have issues with WHS

Regarding EARS drives -
0) They're fine for Vista or Win7. These OSes understand the Advanced format.
1) Don't use it as your system drive for WHS. If you do, you'll need to run an unsupported tool to fix it (didn't support WHS last I checked).
2) If you're adding the drive to your drive storage pool, make sure that you jumper pins 7-8 before formatting, per the instructions on the drive (WHS is based on WinXP).
3) If you're adding it for some other reason (backup drive), jumper pins 7-8 and make sure it has only one partition. Alternately, don't jumper the pins but create the partitions in a more recent OS (I think that should work).

If you don't do this, you'll suffer a pretty serious performance loss, because the older OS doesn't understand the new hotness of Advanced Drive Format.

The good news about Advanced Drive Format is that I think it will enable pushing past the 2 TB limit.

Regarding RAID, I've heard that Green drives aren't recommended for RAID, as the power management produces more load/unload cycles and can get over stressed in RAID. But you'd have to do more research on that point.
post #13032 of 19525 Old 03-16-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBA View Post

Now I need a media centre extender for the basement TV. My question is, since I won't be playing games at all. Can I get away with buying an Xbox Arcade with an HDMI output ? Or would I be sacrificing performance by not buying a full 360 console as an MC extender?

I recently bought an Acer Revo 3610 for my TV. Works as well as an extender, but also works for any other PC chores. Granted, it is an Atom dual core so it is a slow PC, and it can't play xbox games, but if you're looking for HDMI that will run media center, playback your DVDs, play hulu, play web content (thedailyshow.com, etc.), then it is a good option.

Check out these links -
Revo 3610 on newegg, $330
An example Revo setup guide

Comes with a subtle RF wireless keyboard and mouse too. Add a remote (I have this one, which also allows you to do mouse actions and is less than $30) and it works pretty darn well.
post #13033 of 19525 Old 03-16-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:

Renethx,

What about WHS use?

cheers,
Jacob

I have read reports that the WD "green" drives can have problems in RAID due to error checking. Apparently, if there is a questionable spot on the disk, the "green" drives are very slow to respond and the RAID controller then drops the disk from the array.
post #13034 of 19525 Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Agreed, I just stick with MPC launching from Media Browser to get bitstreaming. I had too many inconsistencies with LiveTV and other when disabling MF to get bitstreaming in WMP/WMC. Anyway, I find PQ much better in MPC then WMP/WMC

How do you set up MPC to play Live TV and recorded TV in WMC?
post #13035 of 19525 Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1980 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post

I recently bought an Acer Revo 3610 for my TV. Works as well as an extender

The one major exception to this is that it is NOT a true Windows Media Center extender which means it can't do live TV from the central media center and it cannot play cablecard recordings from the central media center that are flagged as copy once. So if going with one of the ATI, Ceton (when available), or SiliconDust cablecard (when available) tuners and a cable provider that flags content as copy once, the Acer Revo is a poor choice.
post #13036 of 19525 Old 03-17-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli6103 View Post

How do you set up MPC to play Live TV and recorded TV in WMC?

MPC is not used for live tv/recorded TV, I just use the native WMC player. The reason why I mentioned just using MPC and avoiding codecs/hacks is because anytime you mess around with Media Foundation there is a chance something breaks in WMC (and the most common thing I see break is live tv). To get my mkv/m2ts Blu Ray rips to play properly in the WMC player I have to hack around which has caused issues with LiveTV.

Cheers
post #13037 of 19525 Old 03-17-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The one major exception to this is that it is NOT a true Windows Media Center extender which means it can't do live TV from the central media center and it cannot play cablecard recordings from the central media center that are flagged as copy once. So if going with one of the ATI, Ceton (when available), or SiliconDust cablecard (when available) tuners and a cable provider that flags content as copy once, the Acer Revo is a poor choice.

Good point - I don't use this so I wouldn't see it.

I have an HDHomerun connected to an OTA HD antenna, so all my PCs have a tuner, but no cablecard.
post #13038 of 19525 Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

And now a moment of silence for renethx's thankless and tireless work in not only keeping the OP updated with the latest components - a monumental task which requires a lot of analysis and real understanding of the way they all work together - but also all the advice he's given along the way in this thread.

Thank you, sir!
post #13039 of 19525 Old 03-17-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory View Post

And now a moment of silence for renethx's thankless and tireless work in not only keeping the OP updated with the latest components - a monumental task which requires a lot of analysis and real understanding of the way they all work together - but also all the advice he's given along the way in this thread.

Thank you, sir!

Here, here. A very strong second to odditory's post.
post #13040 of 19525 Old 03-17-2010, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory View Post

Thank you, sir!

Moment of Silence?! He's not leaving us is he? :-)

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #13041 of 19525 Old 03-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post

You can also go to this thread here on AVS https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...71162&page=587

That's a great thread. spent hours in it.

Heh, temps me to build the 20 disk array up on page 401 but don't think I need to go that far ;-) about the third or fourth time I've considered it though, and yes I know I can add drives as time, money and such dictates.

Oh well. Looks like I blew the HDMI port in the Yamaha receiver. I get signals in but can't output to the TV monitor. gosh darn it.
post #13042 of 19525 Old 03-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira7799 View Post

Here, here. A very strong second to odditory's post.

I see there's already a third endorsement, so call me a fanboy ;-)
post #13043 of 19525 Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Agreed that thanks are nice.

And appropriate.

And well deserved.

But.

Action$ $peak louder than words.

renethx actually buys many if not most or even all of these components and tests them. Then sells them at a loss. What he brings to all of us is quite unique IMO.

Disclosures: None. I don't know him or benefit from his support any more than the rest of us do. I just hope he never dries up.
post #13044 of 19525 Old 03-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Agreed that thanks are nice.

And appropriate.

And well deserved.

But.

Action$ $peak louder than words.

renethx actually buys many if not most or even all of these components and tests them. Then sells them at a loss. What he brings to all of us is quite unique IMO.

Disclosures: None. I don't know him or benefit from his support any more than the rest of us do. I just hope he never dries up.

Ya know, I was racking my little brain wondering today who the heck [email protected] dot dot was...as paypal refunded my money today. Yeah, I need glasses...

Anyway. I don't mind pitching in
post #13045 of 19525 Old 03-17-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhog View Post

Regarding EARS drives -
0) They're fine for Vista or Win7. These OSes understand the Advanced format.
1) Don't use it as your system drive for WHS. If you do, you'll need to run an unsupported tool to fix it (didn't support WHS last I checked).
2) If you're adding the drive to your drive storage pool, make sure that you jumper pins 7-8 before formatting, per the instructions on the drive (WHS is based on WinXP).
3) If you're adding it for some other reason (backup drive), jumper pins 7-8 and make sure it has only one partition. Alternately, don't jumper the pins but create the partitions in a more recent OS (I think that should work).

If you don't do this, you'll suffer a pretty serious performance loss, because the older OS doesn't understand the new hotness of Advanced Drive Format.

The good news about Advanced Drive Format is that I think it will enable pushing past the 2 TB limit.

Regarding RAID, I've heard that Green drives aren't recommended for RAID, as the power management produces more load/unload cycles and can get over stressed in RAID. But you'd have to do more research on that point.

The WDAlign tool is available in two versions from the WD website, one of which is a bootable ISO. This allows you to install the drive, add it to your storage pool, boot to the ISO, and realign the drive to make it play nicely with WHS.

Jumpering the pins is also an "approved" method of correcting the drive, but there is some debate as to which is the preferred method. I've used the WD Align utility with no issues. On a drive that I added to the pool with no data on it (which is not a requirement) it took about 45 sec to run the utility. Drives with lots of data can take several hours.

Just something else to consider

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #13046 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

I want to post "Recommended HTPC Systems – March 2010 Edition". Assuming you set "Number of Posts to Show Per Page" to "User Forum Default" (i.e. 30), I would like to begin it with #13081. So...
post #13047 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

post #13048 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold