Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server - Page 437 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #13081 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Once again Renethx excellent job. Hopefully people who use this understand the amount of time and effort that goes into keeping this guide updated and supports you via donation.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13082 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is your recommendation for a quiet 2.5" hard drive? You mention cases that only hold 2.5" devices (i.e., Antec ISK 300-150), but don't give a drive recommendation. Just curious what sort of drive I should be looking at.

Michael
post #13083 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDub View Post

What is your recommendation for a quiet 2.5" hard drive? You mention cases that only hold 2.5" devices (i.e., Antec ISK 300-150), but don't give a drive recommendation. Just curious what sort of drive I should be looking at.

Michael

I went with this one in my Antec case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-280-_-Product

I originally had a WD 2.5" 5400RPM drive but I found it was too sluggish to be the O/S drive.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13084 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM

Your pricing is way off for the a majority of buyers, (EU, Canada) and how does the Moneual MonCaso 312 fit into a budget build.
post #13085 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaccord View Post

Your pricing is way off for the a majority of buyers, (EU, Canada) and how does the Moneual MonCaso 312 fit into a budget build.

Prices are a snapshot in time and should be used as a rough guideline. Do you expect renethx to include prices for all 100+ countries in the world? If you know that computer prices in your country are generally xx percent different than the US, just multiply by this percentage to get a rough estimate, then when you are ready to buy, go to specific stores and price the components. Or maybe you should start your own thread with Canadian and EU prices. But then you would probably have someone from India or China complaining that you don't have the pricing for the majority of people.
post #13086 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Given AVS is a US site how do you figure that US buyers aren't the majority of buyers here?
post #13087 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 12:10 PM

Also do you just pick these parts out of a hat ? Because the latest CPU, Motherboard combo from any vendor supports most of these features.
post #13088 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Also do you just pick these parts out of a hat ? Because the latest CPU, Motherboard combo from any vendor supports most of these features.

Wow, 2 posts and you have already discovered renethx's secret!
post #13089 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm sorry bonaccord but you're coming across as very hostile. If you don't agree with, need help or want to give help with any of this, then why are you here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I went with this one in my Antec case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-280-_-Product

I originally had a WD 2.5" 5400RPM drive but I found it was too sluggish to be the O/S drive.

I actually use a 80GB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM drive that was on deal at newegg not too far back for $20. With the vast improvemnts with sleep in Vista and Windows 7 I haven't been affected by the slow drive speeds. If I were shutting down every night and booting up from cold start each time I could see it becoming an issue... but if the user is putting their HTPC to sleep regularly then there shouldn't be a need to worry about that.

For some background, I use MediaPortal 1.1 RC as my frontend and all my media is served up from an unRaid server.
post #13090 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drealit View Post

I'm sorry bonaccord but you're coming across as very hostile. If you don't agree with, need help or want to give help with any of this, then why are you here?

I actually use a 80GB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM drive that was on deal at newegg not too far back for $20. With the vast improvemnts with sleep in Vista and Windows 7 I haven't been affected by the slow drive speeds. If I were shutting down every night and booting up from cold start each time I could see it becoming an issue... but if the user is putting their HTPC to sleep regularly then there shouldn't be a need to worry about that.

For some background, I use MediaPortal 1.1 RC as my frontend and all my media is served up from an unRaid server.

The sluggishness I noticed was not during playback but just navigating around in WMC, etc... Wans't a big issue but being used to how my other HTPCs performed with 7200RPM drives it was noticeable to me.

Cheers
post #13091 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:

The sluggishness I noticed was not during playback but just navigating around in WMC, etc... Wans't a big issue but being used to how my other HTPCs performed with 7200RPM drives it was noticeable to me.

That's interesting. I actually switched from a 3.5 in. WD 500GB GP drive down to the 2.5 in. 80GB... within Win7/MediaPortal the only noticeable difference was during windows boot up and MePo boot up. The actual pulling up of content (cover art/fan art etc.) is still covered locally on the hard drive but there wasn't any significant decrease in speed after the drive switch. The interface seems to react in almost the exact same way (I don't think it's in my head either). I'm wondering if WMC is coded in a way where the interface is actually affected by something like the harddrive.
post #13092 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Any suggestions on a reputable place to pick up one or two of these:

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

renethx suggests using these in the media server builds (among others). I checked at Newegg and Amazon, but no luck there. I'm always a little hesitant to order parts from just any 'ol supplier that Google turns up.

Thanks,

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
post #13093 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

renethx suggests using these in the media server builds (among others). I checked at Newegg and Amazon, but no luck there. I'm always a little hesitant to order parts from just any 'ol supplier that Google turns up.

Thanks,

I purchased mine from provantage.com

http://www.provantage.com/supermicro...8~7SUP918N.htm

Cheers
post #13094 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:

That's interesting. I actually switched from a 3.5 in. WD 500GB GP drive down to the 2.5 in. 80GB... within Win7/MediaPortal the only noticeable difference was during windows boot up and MePo boot up. The actual pulling up of content (cover art/fan art etc.) is still covered locally on the hard drive but there wasn't any significant decrease in speed after the drive switch. The interface seems to react in almost the exact same way (I don't think it's in my head either). I'm wondering if WMC is coded in a way where the interface is actually affected by something like the harddrive.

You switched though from a 5400RPM to a 5400RPM it sounds like (the WD GP Drive being a 5400RPM).? I am using Media Browser, and with the 5400RPM drive I would just notice slight stuttering when navigating through covers, etc... that I did not get with my other HTPCs which have 7200RPM drives. I would have the 7200RPM drive set up later today in place of the 5400RPM drive, so that should give me a good indication about whether or not the drive was the bottleneck.

Cheers
post #13095 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Did you read what Renethx has written? He picked these parts out because he, or someone he trusts, has tested them out and proven that all the features work as advertised and are reliable. This is no small matter, some large percentage of the posts in the HTPC forums here on AVS are from people using some new board or accessory and they cannot get something or other to work correctly....
post #13096 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks,

Don't forget to pick up the necessary cables also. Several people who were excited about this card over at the unRaid forums overlooked the fact that they need to dish out extra for the required cables .

Quote:

You switched though from a 5400RPM to a 5400RPM it sounds like (the WD GP Drive being a 5400RPM).? I am using Media Browser, and with the 5400RPM drive I would just notice slight stuttering when navigating through covers, etc... that I did not get with my other HTPCs which have 7200RPM drives. I would have the 7200RPM drive set up later today in place of the 5400RPM drive, so that should give me a good indication about whether or not the drive was the bottleneck.

The GP should still have been a significant amount quicker than the crusty old 80GB I bought (it was actually only SATA I)... I certainly noticed the difference in boot times. I hope you're right though and that drive was in fact your bottle neck otherwise I really feel for you when you can't seem to iron out an annoying issue like that haha .
post #13097 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 490
[quote=drealit;18335511]Don't forget to pick up the necessary cables also. Several people who were excited about this card over at the unRaid forums overlooked the fact that they need to dish out extra for the required cables .

I bought 2 of these cards in January from buy.com and they came with 8 SATA cables per card for a total of 16 just enough .

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
post #13098 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The WDAlign tool is available in two versions from the WD website, one of which is a bootable ISO. This allows you to install the drive, add it to your storage pool, boot to the ISO, and realign the drive to make it play nicely with WHS.

Jumpering the pins is also an "approved" method of correcting the drive, but there is some debate as to which is the preferred method. I've used the WD Align utility with no issues. On a drive that I added to the pool with no data on it (which is not a requirement) it took about 45 sec to run the utility. Drives with lots of data can take several hours.

Just something else to consider

What exactly is the problem with the EARS drive in WHS? I currently have 15 HDD's in my WHS stoarge pool with one being a WD15EARS 1.5TB - I did not do anything to the drive other than add it to the sorage pool. Is there something I should be looking for? Does this problem always occur, sometimes, randomly

HTPCat
post #13099 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 03:03 PM

[quote=HTPCat;18336124]
Quote:

Don't forget to pick up the necessary cables also. Several people who were excited about this card over at the unRaid forums overlooked the fact that they need to dish out extra for the required cables .

I bought 2 of these cards in January from buy.com and they came with 8 SATA cables per card for a total of 16 just enough .

I think you're referring to the AOC-SAT-MV8 (PCI-X with 8x SATA ports) not the AOC-SASLP-MV8 (PCI-E and has 2 SAS connectors on each card and you need 2 breakout cables each [converts to 4 SATA per cable - 8 SATA total]).
post #13100 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The WDAlign tool is available in two versions from the WD website, one of which is a bootable ISO. This allows you to install the drive, add it to your storage pool, boot to the ISO, and realign the drive to make it play nicely with WHS.

Jumpering the pins is also an "approved" method of correcting the drive, but there is some debate as to which is the preferred method. I've used the WD Align utility with no issues. On a drive that I added to the pool with no data on it (which is not a requirement) it took about 45 sec to run the utility. Drives with lots of data can take several hours.

Just something else to consider

[quote=drealit;18336281]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post

I think you're referring to the AOC-SAT-MV8 (PCI-X with 8x SATA ports) not the AOC-SASLP-MV8 (PCI-E and has 2 SAS connectors on each card and you need 2 breakout cables each [converts to 4 SATA per cable - 8 SATA total]).

Your correct - my Bad

HTPCat
post #13101 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 03:57 PM

I am so glad you changed the recommendation for video card on the workstation. I was having such a difficult time finding GTX 275 and I was considering GTX 285, but it was really expensive and I remember you telling me that video card was really not that important for video editing and I hope that is the correct recommendation in the listing of GTX 260 instead of GTX 275 on the workstation (video editing). Thank you very much renethx, since I follow your recommendations so closely I believe this video card will be much easier to find. I am really grateful.
post #13102 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Would all the low end systems be able to play 1080P content fine? What about HD encoding? I might buy a system to replace my dual core atom + wdtv live system but don't want to fall backwards in the system department.
post #13103 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post

What exactly is the problem with the EARS drive in WHS? I currently have 15 HDD's in my WHS stoarge pool with one being a WD15EARS 1.5TB - I did not do anything to the drive other than add it to the sorage pool. Is there something I should be looking for? Does this problem always occur, sometimes, randomly

The new WD Green (EARS) drives use 4kB sectors as opposed to the good 'ol standard 512b sectors. Here's a link to a good article if you're interested. I don't pretend to understand all the nuances of drive design (or much about hard drives at all for that matter), but suffice it to say that if your OS doesn't know how to deal with these new drives, performance suffers (write speeds in particular IIRC). The change will let WD transition to larger drives (> 2Tb).

To fix things, WD has an alignment utility, or you add the jumpers, for older OS's that will restore performance to levels that you paid for.

You're not going to lose any data or anything like that, it's just a performance issue.

Quote:

I purchased mine from provantage.com

http://www.provantage.com/supermicro...8~7SUP918N.htm

Those cards take nearly a month for them to get in stock. I wonder if they're that popular, or if they're that unpopular

post #13104 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Those cards take nearly a month for them to get in stock. I wonder if they're that popular, or if they're that unpopular

Those cards are very popular for large array media server builds

Cheers
post #13105 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 06:12 PM

What parts can be purchased that can be connected via USB? I think these can be but not sure.

HDD
Bluray Drive
HDTV tuner
graphics card

I've spent too much money on internal cards to have the bus go obsolete and would rather buy USB.

Is there really only one SSD to choose from?

Is anyone using a fanless system? I want super quiet, low power system.
post #13106 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Those cards are very popular for large array media server builds

Well, I guess that's a good thing. If nothing else that would suggest they're reliable. Fortunately I don't need them tomorrow.

Did it take that long when you ordered them, or is this a new development?

Thanks for the link!

post #13107 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_man View Post

What parts can be purchased that can be connected via USB? I think these can be but not sure.

HDD
Bluray Drive
HDTV tuner
graphics card

I've spent too much money on internal cards to have the bus go obsolete and would rather buy USB.

Is there really only one SSD to choose from?

Is anyone using a fanless system? I want super quiet, low power system.

I'm no expert, but :

I was surprised at how quite a I5 650 Clarkdale with stock fan was in the Fusion Case without a GPU. I did eventually add a 5670 card and that brought it too a whisper at 2 feet. The system runs under 40 C if Speedfan is correct.
These are pretty much built from the Page 401 recs.

I'm also running an Antec 500W PSU in it, which is overkill. An incredibly quite PSU though.

Bear in mind, I'm a newbi and this is my first build. What is "quite" to me may not be to you, but my wife is happy...and THAT my friend, is what was important.

Also note that MOBOs can be had that support the USB 3.0 and SATA 6 GBS
post #13108 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

Would all the low end systems be able to play 1080P content fine? What about HD encoding? I might buy a system to replace my dual core atom + wdtv live system but don't want to fall backwards in the system department.

Yes any system he recommends should do 1080p fine. As far as HD encoding that relies on the cpu. So if you go low end it will take a lot longer then with a high end quad core.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #13109 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 08:36 PM

I am taking the plunge and building my first HTPC. Pretty much following the mid Intel with ATI build. They only thing I cant decide on is the tv tuner.

I want a dual tuner that will eventually replace Directv. So only OTA HD channels. I can't decide between the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 and the HDHomerun.

I don"t really care about the network features, I just want dual tuners that get good signal and it just works. Will be running Win 7 WMC. I keep hearing good and bad things about both.

Tim
post #13110 of 19525 Old 03-18-2010, 10:14 PM

I ended up returning the Avermedia a188. Got an hdhomerun and it works much better. Just my experience, I know the A188 has worked well for others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page