Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server - Page 626 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #18751 of 19539 Old 11-09-2012, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I am upgrading my main pc and am looking to repurpose the old one into a server. It would be mostly for streaming my media files ( iso's of dvd and bluerays.) , mp3 music files, pictures, and documet files. I will be streaming to my htpc's, desktop, windows tablet pc, and xbox 360. I need to upgrade the processor. I was wondering would I be able to do all of this with a intel G850 processor. I currently have the current parts to repurpose into this build.

mb = Gigabyte p67 motherboard
ram= 8gb Gskill Ripjaws X 1600
hdd= OCZ 64gb ssd
graphics= nvidia gt430
psu= Raidmax 530w
case= Fractal Design R3
os= windows 8pro or whs2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18752 of 19539 Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by stl drifter View Post

Hey guys, I am upgrading my main pc and am looking to repurpose the old one into a server. It would be mostly for streaming my media files ( iso's of dvd and bluerays.) , mp3 music files, pictures, and documet files. I will be streaming to my htpc's, desktop, windows tablet pc, and xbox 360. I need to upgrade the processor. I was wondering would I be able to do all of this with a intel G850 processor. I currently have the current parts to repurpose into this build.
mb = Gigabyte p67 motherboard
ram= 8gb Gskill Ripjaws X 1600
hdd= OCZ 64gb ssd
graphics= nvidia gt430
psu= Raidmax 530w
case= Fractal Design R3
os= windows 8pro or whs2011
If you play a video format not supported by these devices, you may have to transcode it and G850 may not be powerful enough. Otherwise G850 (and other components) should be good.
post #18753 of 19539 Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post

Just wanted to post my experience with SSDs and OCZ in general.
I have had about a dozen SSDs and so far the Samsung's have proven to be solid and reliable, maybe not the fastest but I've been down that road with OCZ and will never go there again. My last six Samsung drives are all running great with zero problems, 470 and 830 series. My previous six SSDS all failed and they were 4 from OCZ and two from other manufacturers.
If you have a OCZ drive that fails, it's a one to two week RMA turnaround time so you better buy two so that you have a spare.
I'm not a Samusng fanboy, just a 16 years seasoned IT Pro and I'll take reliability over speed any day.

I have three OCZ ssds running as boot drives Vertex 2, Agility 3, and Vertex 4

No failures, running almost 6 months. How long did it take your four OCZ drives to fail, and which models were they?

It does seem improbable to require a FW update to be run on a spare drive, and sandbox type FW upgrades are definitely the way to go. I didn't realize Samsung drives could be updated that way
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

If you play a video format not supported by these devices, you may have to transcode it and G850 may not be powerful enough. Otherwise G850 (and other components) should be good.

G850 is on par / better performance wise than my old E8400, and it transcodes 1080/24 content just fine. I've never stress tested it, but remote transcode streams in plex never experience playback problems unless my internet connection drops (usually on the remote end, not from the house)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18754 of 19539 Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post

I strongly agree with sdolen. All SSD's are fast, I have 4 830's and have had no problems. I can't say that for my OCZ and Crucial's.
Also support software is a big issue for me. The Samsung Magician allows you to do firmware updates and tweaks easily from the Windows desktop. My OCZ needs a firmware update and because it is a primary drive I have to create a Linux boot disk, get the server out of the closet, connect a monitor and keybaord then do the update, stupid!
I fully agree about 830s. I have 2 of them and they are rock solid. Before that I went through the RMA processing of OCZ (seems to be pretty common, I had a Vertex2 that failed after 3 months...) and Intel (had a 320, which otherwise got good critics, but mine failed after half a year)
post #18755 of 19539 Old 11-09-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

G850 is on par / better performance wise than my old E8400, and it transcodes 1080/24 content just fine
I thought I should further clarify my statement . . . My old E8400 HTPC can transcode a plex video to a remote client just fine. I've never actually used a G850, just looking at benchmarks like these link

Also to note, I thoroughly enjoy everyone's displeasure (or hesitance) with OCZ. I should, in fact, follow in their footsteps, because it affords me the opportunity to purchase superior products (per benchmarks) at egregiously low prices due to the untrusted reliability in their name smile.gif
post #18756 of 19539 Old 11-09-2012, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2731
+1
post #18757 of 19539 Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
After reading the above replies eek.gif

It figures, I've got two OCZ Vertex Plus+ R2 60Gb being used for the OS.
SATA II
MCL Flash Memory
Indilinx Barefoot 2 processor
TRIM support

I'm old.
Was trained on vacuum tubes.
Most everything I've worked on is in the museum or on the History Channel.
post #18758 of 19539 Old 11-10-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Also to note, I thoroughly enjoy everyone's displeasure (or hesitance) with OCZ. I should, in fact, follow in their footsteps, because it affords me the opportunity to purchase superior products (per benchmarks) at egregiously low prices due to the untrusted reliability in their name smile.gif

It's funny how it is so accepted to bash on OCZ but I seem to get in a twenty page pissing match everytime I say something negative about the grossly overrated Crucial M4.

It's definetly true you can practically steal a very good SSD from OCZ if you deal hunt.

Right now newegg has the 240GB Vertex3 MAX IOPS with Toshiba TOGGLE NAND for 129$

That's the same price as a 128GB Crucial M4.

If your wondering how they stack up against each other here the results.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/366?vs=425

It's not even a fair fight.

Anyone not afraid of a sandforce controller should consider a drive like that. Probably best performance and value going right now.

It wins easily in performance, price and capacity for 129$

That's same price that newegg has the 128GB m4 for although sometimes you can find it cheaper.

If you want to use a non sandforce example of OCZ you see same thing in the VERTEX4.

The vertex4 uses the same sourced NAND as the crucial and the same marvel controller. It delivers better performance due to a better optimized firmware. It's also cheaper and comes with a 5 year warranty.

Seems like a no brainier to me. But if you hate both OCZ and Sandforce you could still get a SAMSUNG830 instead which is also cheaper/faster than crucial. The Samsung is neither OCZ nor sandforce. Funny I've even seen Crucial owners slam the Samsung for firmware too.

Everytime I point out how overrated the crucial is I get 10 people jumping down my back spewing propaganda and citing exaggerated issues in all drives not crucial. But it's totally acceptable to bash anything else.
post #18759 of 19539 Old 11-10-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

It's funny how it is so accepted to bash on OCZ but I seem to get in a twenty page pissing match everytime I say something negative about the grossly overrated Crucial M4.
It's definetly true you can practically steal a very good SSD from OCZ if you deal hunt.
Right now newegg has the 240GB Vertex3 MAX IOPS with Toshiba TOGGLE NAND for 129$
That's the same price as a 128GB Crucial M4.
If your wondering how they stack up against each other here the results.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/366?vs=425
It's not even a fair fight.
Anyone not afraid of a sandforce controller should consider a drive like that. Probably best performance and value going right now.
It wins easily in performance, price and capacity for 129$
That's same price that newegg has the 128GB m4 for although sometimes you can find it cheaper.
If you want to use a non sandforce example of OCZ you see same thing in the VERTEX4.
The vertex4 uses the same sourced NAND as the crucial and the same marvel controller. It delivers better performance due to a better optimized firmware. It's also cheaper and comes with a 5 year warranty.
Seems like a no brainier to me. But if you hate both OCZ and Sandforce you could still get a SAMSUNG830 instead which is also cheaper/faster than crucial. The Samsung is neither OCZ nor sandforce. Funny I've even seen Crucial owners slam the Samsung for firmware too.
Everytime I point out how overrated the crucial is I get 10 people jumping down my back spewing propaganda and citing exaggerated issues in all drives not crucial. But it's totally acceptable to bash anything else.

More misinformation from MFusiick.

Anyone comparing SSD "performance" using benchmarks for HTPC should have their head checked. And even that comparison you listed is not even close to an obvious winner for HTPC. And if you are touting something with a 10% performance gain when the performance of SSDs is already above and beyond what is required for HTPC should have their head checked a second time.

Reliability still reigns supreme. There is nothing wrong with favoring OCZ and I have nothing wrong with their current product. But to continue to go out of your way to bash and try to discredit Crucial drives without even a shred of objective evidence or data (which I have asked you to supply numerous times to no avail) and to continue to push your opinion on a very good and reliable product which many people use and recommend without hesitation (including Renethx) is becoming increasingly annoying.

Get off your soapbox and move on already.
post #18760 of 19539 Old 11-10-2012, 07:22 PM

I think you just proved my point.
post #18761 of 19539 Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:

I think you just proved my point.

That you continue to make completely unreasonable arguments? Sure did.
post #18762 of 19539 Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 PM

My point was how its acceptable to bash on other brands of SSD but its not ok to say anything bad about Crucial.

And I wasn't bashing either nor was my comment unreasonable.

I said that I believed there was many options that are cheaper, faster and have better warranty. I listed Sandforce option, a marvel option, and a non sandforce non OCZ option to cover many of the areas Crucial supporters use as areas of concern. Pick your poison.

Your proving my point by jumping on me inside five minutes.

I thought it was normal to debate the merits of PC components around here.
post #18763 of 19539 Old 11-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:

My point was how its acceptable to bash on other brands of SSD but its not ok to say anything bad about Crucial.
And I wasn't bashing either nor was my comment unreasonable.
I said that I believed there was many options that are cheaper, faster and have better warranty. I listed Sandforce option, a marvel option, and a non sandforce non OCZ option to cover many of the areas Crucial supporters use as areas of concern. Pick your poison.
Your proving my point by jumping on me inside five minutes.
I thought it was normal to debate the merits of PC components around here.

But the point is that Crucial is not a "bad" option which you go out of your way to say week in and week out. And yet you yourself do exactly what you are admonishing me (and others) for doing when anyone has anything even remotely bad to say about OCZ. Its extremely hypocritical and annoying.

Is OCZ perhaps a better option based on "bang for your buck"? Perhaps. Does OCZ as a company have current and very real serious financial issues that may make the 5-year warranty a moot point if they aren't even around. Absolutely. Is it faster? Not really as all are exceedingly fast for HTPC and this is really splitting hairs inside a HTPC forum.

Does Crucial have a better reputation and better OBJECTIVE history of less returns, less flaws, etc over the last many months and years? Without question. Are there many other sites where the OCZ name is absolute mud based on real users' experience in those sites and forums? Again, absolutely.

So even if OCZ is a better "bang for the buck" financially you have to weigh all the pros and cons of everything I just outlined above including potential risk and peace of mind. So really there is no obvious clear cut winner as you like to proclaim. And to leave the Crucial drives out of the discussion as being some of the better drives overall because of all of the above is just not accurate.
post #18764 of 19539 Old 11-10-2012, 09:44 PM

Again your reverting back to OCZ to make your point.

So lets just imagine a scenario where they don't even exist.

Is the muskin or Samsung or plextor or myriad of other drives that offer the same or better warranty, post same or better performance benchmarks, and sell for the same or better prices not a better choice ?

My point is crucial is grossly overrated in the current SSD landscape. It's merely average to below average on every aspect, yet for some reason unknown to me it's not acceptable at all to say one single negative comment about it at all.

While crucial owners and supporters will pick apart Samsung, sandforce, OCZ and others for a myriad of issues.

I don't think it's fair. I don't think it's accurate. I don't think it's right at all.

Either it's ok to discuss the negatives of all brands or its not.

That's my point.

I realize you build and sell HTPC 's and you own a crucial SSD. I also realize you have long recommended crucial SSDs and have built and sold many HTPCs to many members of this forum with Crucial SSDs in them so there's a personal interest and investment in your defense of them.

But I think a non biased onlooker might probably find better performance, better value, and a better reliability..and\or.. Warranty in another brand.

Why's that so wrong to say ?
post #18765 of 19539 Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 AM

Ugh. I give up. It really is like feeding medicine to the dead.

I have no personal investment btw. I am free to use whatever want. And for the record I don't even own a M4 at all.
post #18766 of 19539 Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 AM

It's ok. I've said my opinion I'm done. wink.gif
post #18767 of 19539 Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 16
Autoplaying DVDs using MPC-HC from Windows Media Center

I've been able to configure WMC to play Blu-ray discs with MPC-HC following instructions at https://www.avsforum.com/t/940972/guide-to-building-a-htpc-workstation-and-server/18300#post_21560386, but can't seem to find instructions to do the same with plain DVDs.

What I'm trying to achieve is that when using WMC, upon inserting a DVD it will either automatically launch MPC-HC and play the DVD, or, as a second best alternative, open a menu allowing to choose between native WMC DVD playback and MPC-HC playback

I'm sure it's possible (there are screen captures which show MPC-HC as a play DVD option)... Can anyone help?
post #18768 of 19539 Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

post #18769 of 19539 Old 11-18-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks renethx,
I did see you post #17646, which indicates that what I'm looking for is doable, but can't figure how to make it work. I looked at the way Cyberlink creates a DVD entry, including creating a .mcl file, but seems quite complicated (javascripts, etc.).
post #18770 of 19539 Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

AutoPlaying DVD ISOs using MPC-HC inside WMC

This post supplements AutoPlaying BD ISOs using MPC-HC inside WMC. WMC's AutoPlay feature (different from Windows AutoPlay) enables us to play back DVD ISOs with any media player supporting DVD video from inside WMC (typically built-in Movie Library+Mikinho Mount Image or Media Browser). Basic flow of the playback is:

1. Select a DVD movie (in the ISO format) in the movie organizer and play it.

2. The movie organizer mounts the image and the following screen appears:

It's up to you and your system what players appear in the screen.

3. Select the player you want to use and press Enter. The playback begins. If no external player is registered, the playback begins immediately with WMC itself.

4. When the playback ends and the player is closed (often by pressing Backspace key), the previous screen reappears.

Here is how to add a player to the list of DVD AutoPlay EventHandlers of WMC. For example, consider the case of Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (32-bit) in Windows 7 64 bit.

1. Launch Registry Editor (regedit.exe). Go to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\AutoPlayHandlers\EventHandlers\PlayDVDMovieOnArrival. Create a new string value there, with the name, say, MPC-HC (you can choose any name you like), and the empty value.

2. Next go to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\AutoPlayHandlers\Handlers and create a new subkey with the name MPC-HC (this must be the same as the one created in the previous step). In this key, create a new string value with the name Action and the value, say, Media Player Classic - Home Cinema or whatever (this is the name you will see in the DVD player list of WMC). Create another new string value with the name InvokeMCL and the value C:\ProgramData\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.dvd.mcl (this is the complete path of the MCL file to be called; I selected the folder C:\ProgramData\MPC-HC, but this can be any, so is the file name "mpc-hc.dvd").

3. Now we have to create a MCL file, called mpc-hc.dvd.mcl. A MCL (Media Center link) file is coded in XML and used to be used to add an application to Media Center (is now deprecated). Copy and paste the following codes in Notepad and save it as mpc-hc.dvd.mcl in the folder C:\ProgramData\MPC-HC.
Code:
<application
        run = "C:\ProgramData\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.dvd.vbs"
</application>

This means that when "Media Player Classic - Home Cinema" is clicked in the DVD player list of WMC, the VBScript file "mpc-hc.dvd.vbs" will run. Copy and paste the follwing code in Notepad and save it as mpc-hc.dvd.vbs in the folder C:\ProgramData\MPC-HC.
Code:
CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run "C:\ProgramData\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.dvd.bat",0,True

The script runs a batch file called "mpc-hc.dvd.bat" in invisible mode (that's why I used .vbs instead of .bat directly in .mcl). The batch file is created by copying / pasting the following codes in Notepad and saving it as mpc-hc.dvd.bat in the folder C:\ProgramData\MPC-HC.
Code:
start "" /wait "C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe" "V:"
start "" /max "C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe"
exit

This batch file runs mpc-hc.exe with the DVD drive V: (this should be the drive letter of the virtual optical drive of your system). When mpc-hc.exe is closed, ehshell.exe (WMC) is maximized. So you will see three files in the folder C:\ProgramData\MPC-HC. (You can choose any folder you like for each file, of course.)

I guess that's it.

MadVR now supports Jinc algorithm (one of the best algorithms to upscale SD to HD) and DVD Navigator, and LAV Video Decoder supports DVD Navigator. We can enjoy the best PQ from DVDs in WMC. smile.gif

References

- Registering AutoPlay Event Handlers in MSDN Library
- Introduction to the 10-Foot Experience for Windows Game Developers in MSDN Library (on MCL syntax)
post #18771 of 19539 Old 11-20-2012, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello, guys.

I have been thinking and researching about my HTPC build, but stopped at my current receiver and projector.

Receiver: I have a Harman Kardon AVR 154, that has 5.1 channels, but won't support HD audio. I'm fine with the channels, but am I still capable of playing my BDs/remux that have HD audio? If possible, can anyone recommend me a more modern receiver that supports that type audio? Same price range as the AVR 154 though.

Projector: I have a Sim2 D10, that only supports up to 720p (correct me if I'm wrong), so I can't have a true HD playback. Again, I'm worried about playing my BDs/remux. Is it possible to? Do I lose much quality? Any recommendations on a true HD projector? Not a fancy one, but one that suits my needs.

Best regards,
mrfury.
post #18772 of 19539 Old 11-20-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Many thanks for these very clear and easy to follow instructions... You're a star!

As a tip for those who, like me, want to store the .bat file with a file name or path which contains some spaces, be sure to put three double quotation marks at the beginning and end of the file name in the vbs file
post #18773 of 19539 Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I will be building my WHS2011 storage server with i5 soon to be used with a i7 2600K HTPC which is built with 16gb ram, real tight timings and good cas latency.

I plan to add 8gb ram to the storage server, does timings matter? or can i just get any ram? see a good deal on a patriot module for 19 bucks for 8 gb.
post #18774 of 19539 Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfury View Post

Hello, guys.
I have been thinking and researching about my HTPC build, but stopped at my current receiver and projector.
Receiver: I have a Harman Kardon AVR 154, that has 5.1 channels, but won't support HD audio. I'm fine with the channels, but am I still capable of playing my BDs/remux that have HD audio? If possible, can anyone recommend me a more modern receiver that supports that type audio? Same price range as the AVR 154 though.
Projector: I have a Sim2 D10, that only supports up to 720p (correct me if I'm wrong), so I can't have a true HD playback. Again, I'm worried about playing my BDs/remux. Is it possible to? Do I lose much quality? Any recommendations on a true HD projector? Not a fancy one, but one that suits my needs.
Best regards,
mrfury.

ONKYO TX-NR515 / TX-NR616 / TX-NR717, for example.

Epson 8350, Optoma HD33 etc.
post #18775 of 19539 Old 11-20-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian View Post

I will be building my WHS2011 storage server with i5 soon to be used with a i7 2600K HTPC which is built with 16gb ram, real tight timings and good cas latency.
I plan to add 8gb ram to the storage server, does timings matter? or can i just get any ram? see a good deal on a patriot module for 19 bucks for 8 gb.

Timings do not matter.
post #18776 of 19539 Old 11-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Timings do not matter.

Thanks.
post #18777 of 19539 Old 11-20-2012, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

This post supplements AutoPlaying BD ISOs using MPC-HC inside WMC. WMC's AutoPlay feature (different from Windows AutoPlay) enables us to play back DVD ISOs with any media player supporting DVD video from inside WMC (typically built-in Movie Library+Mikinho Mount Image or Media Browser). Basic flow of the playback is:
Does this work for Windows8?
post #18778 of 19539 Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnix View Post

Does this work for Windows8?

Haven't tested yet.
post #18779 of 19539 Old 11-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Renethx, thanks for your previously reply.
Have another question, i will be using FlexRaid with the Norco chassis with 24bays, whats a good reliable sata card.. that does not break the bank, just a smart purchase.
post #18780 of 19539 Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

AOC-SAS2LP-MV8. A lot of people recommend IBM ServeRAID M1015 (can be had for < $100 at ebay; flashing firmware is recommended, that turns the RAID card into a host bus adapter card).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page