Guide to Building a HTPC, Workstation and Server - Page 651 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19501 of 19525 Old 04-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
greggplummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Madison, WI, USA
Posts: 911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdude View Post
i am not looking for an external USB, actually i want an inter PCIe card. should any 7.1 do? or a specific one?
The internal soundcards typically don't sound as good as an external USB or FireWire audio interface, but there are some that are pretty good. Just do a google search for '7.1 pci sound card'. By going with an internal consumer sound card, you will also be using lower quality connections (3.5 mm jacks instead of balanced TSR or 1/4" connectors) between the card and your amps. If your amps use RCA connectors for analog input, that may not be as big a deal. This will probably add a little more noise and distortion to your sound system, but you may not notice it.

I am using a couple ASUS cards on my general purpose PCs and they do the job. I personally think they work better than Creative Lab's Sound Blaster cards.

The one I mentioned in my previous post (ASUS Essence STX II 7.1) is probably the best consumer pci sound card available. However, it's not sold at most online retailers and if it is, is a lot more expensive than any other internal consumer sound card.

After your search, read the reviews. Don't get discouraged though, there is no perfect product and you'll read a lot of negative comments. Here's a few less expensive ones to consider:

ASUS Xonar DX 7.1
ASUS Xonar D1 7.1

The 3 specs most people pay attention to for DACs (even though there is a lot more to consider) is the max bit depth, max sample rate and SNR (signal to noise ratio). You want a card that at least has a max bit depth of 24 bits, max sample rate of 96 KHz (many support 192 KHz) and SNR of greater than 112 dB.

I'd also recommend browsing other websites and look for discussions about internal sound cards. The interact forum on Jriver's site is a good place to start.

JRiver Interact Forum - Sound Cards, etc.
Mike_WI likes this.

Gregg Plummer
Amplizone - a blog about the development of Amplio Audio's soundcard/amps
The Short History of Audio/Video Technology
greggplummer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19502 of 19525 Old 09-23-2016, 08:56 AM
Member
 
fallengt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but ca anyone recommend me the cheapest system for HTPC ? I want 4K60p hevc main10 playback so I guess rx460 + something something? Will $350 be enough ?
fallengt is offline  
post #19503 of 19525 Old 12-17-2016, 09:36 PM
Member
 
notslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs up

Haven't been on here for awhile. Is Renethx still doing the guides or system recommendations? I built an awesome system with your recommendations 7 or 8 years ago (writing this message on it now). It has held up well through the years, but it is getting a little flaky in it's old age.

I'd like to upgrade some of the components, but I'm totally out of touch with the PC component world. My system uses AMD, I don't see any positive info about current AMD processors. I'm guessing Intel won the war.
notslow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19504 of 19525 Old 12-19-2016, 07:24 AM
Member
 
tour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by notslow View Post
Haven't been on here for awhile. Is Renethx still doing the guides or system recommendations? I built an awesome system with your recommendations 7 or 8 years ago (writing this message on it now). It has held up well through the years, but it is getting a little flaky in it's old age.

I'd like to upgrade some of the components, but I'm totally out of touch with the PC component world. My system uses AMD, I don't see any positive info about current AMD processors. I'm guessing Intel won the war.
Hi, I just upgraded my HTPC with an AMD A8-6600k, only 4 gig of RAM, I don't have any problem running anything, even x265 compression. On the other hand the A4-5400 had some trouble with x265.
tour93 is offline  
post #19505 of 19525 Old 12-24-2016, 12:04 AM
Member
 
notslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I decided to go Intel this time round due to their better performance to efficiency ratio for their CPUs and GPUs. They seem to use way less power compared to the AMD stuff that is currently out. This may change in the spring with AMDs new Zen stuff, but I don't think I want to wait that long to build. Plus the current Intel tech has been out long enough to be established.

Here's what I have so far.

Case: My old ZALMAN Black HD160Plus
Motherboard: ??????
CPU: I5-6600k
GPU: GTX 1050 or 1060 (not sure if 1050 will meet my needs)
Ram: 2x16 DDR4 (not sure what model to get yet)
SSD: Digital bpx 240gb
HDD: My old WD 3tb drives and a new 6 or 8tb
PSU: My old Enermax Modu82+ 625W

My biggest issue is the motherboard. There are so many and it seems impossible to sift through the features. I'm leaning towards Gigabyte since they have a reputation for better quality and less issues. I need a z170 chipset board so I can overclock the 6600k a bit. There are like 10 Gigabyte boards to choose from alone and if I consider other brands it really gets confusing. I don't need flashy colors or lights on the board, just reliability and enough ports for all my fans and hard drives. Not sure why some of these boards are in the 2-300 range. They must do something pretty amazing that I probably don't need.

Some of the Gigabyte boards really brag up the audio, but I'm not sure if that even matters if I am running audio through HDMI to by Onkyo. Does anyone know?
notslow is offline  
post #19506 of 19525 Old 12-24-2016, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indianapolis Metro Area
Posts: 1,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by notslow View Post
I decided to go Intel this time round due to their better performance to efficiency ratio for their CPUs and GPUs. They seem to use way less power compared to the AMD stuff that is currently out. This may change in the spring with AMDs new Zen stuff, but I don't think I want to wait that long to build. Plus the current Intel tech has been out long enough to be established.

Here's what I have so far.

Case: My old ZALMAN Black HD160Plus
Motherboard: ??????
CPU: I5-6600k
GPU: GTX 1050 or 1060 (not sure if 1050 will meet my needs)
Ram: 2x16 DDR4 (not sure what model to get yet)
SSD: Digital bpx 240gb
HDD: My old WD 3tb drives and a new 6 or 8tb
PSU: My old Enermax Modu82+ 625W

My biggest issue is the motherboard. There are so many and it seems impossible to sift through the features. I'm leaning towards Gigabyte since they have a reputation for better quality and less issues. I need a z170 chipset board so I can overclock the 6600k a bit. There are like 10 Gigabyte boards to choose from alone and if I consider other brands it really gets confusing. I don't need flashy colors or lights on the board, just reliability and enough ports for all my fans and hard drives. Not sure why some of these boards are in the 2-300 range. They must do something pretty amazing that I probably don't need.

Some of the Gigabyte boards really brag up the audio, but I'm not sure if that even matters if I am running audio through HDMI to by Onkyo. Does anyone know?


A lot depends on what you will be using the computer for. If it's just "HTPC including media server" you don't need anything special and the overclocking won't be worth the effort.


Just yesterday, I pulled the trigger on replacing my aging media server which also doubles a the HTPC front end. I built it in 2009 around an AMD Athlon Kuma (2.7Ghz, dual core) and had upgraded to an ATI/AMD 5670 graphics card and an SSD at some point. It's still chugging along fine, but it's not up to much transcoding and I'm sick of listening to the fans while I watch TV. I had already committed to moving it to "backend server duty" with a silent box (Tronsmart Ara X5 Plus) in the TV room. Now, the old machine will be swapped out and given to the kids to play on, when the parts arrive next week for the new server.


Like you I bought an i5-6600k. I almost didn't buy the "k" as I have no need to mess with overclocking. This processor will do anything I ask for my own needs (recording TV, serving some Emby streams, etc.) while not even stretching it's default capabilities. But the K was available for $10 more, so I popped for it just in case.


For a mobo, I went with an Asus B150M-A / M.2 board. I got a microATX version as that's what will fit the case. Note, for server use, I wanted to make sure I got a board with 6 SATA ports... lots of them come with just 4 these days. Again, I don't plan on overclocking and I got a good deal on this board, and it was recommended by a fellow HTPC guy over on the Emby forum.


I got an M2 (2280 format) drive, RAM, and a Gemini M4 cooler.


My server will be just that... a media server... no games, no other use other than ripping the occasional bluray disc. I don't need anything fancy, but these components should last me the next 6-7 years for my purposes.


Good luck to you, and let us know what you buy!

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Marc_G is offline  
post #19507 of 19525 Old 12-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Member
 
notslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds like we both build long term systems. I usually go a little overkill, but that seems to keep everything feeling high performance longer. I will be playing some games so I want a system fast enough to handle that without stressing it. It will also double as a media server and the htpc front end. I set up the Zalman case to be nearly silent with sound damping and scythe fans. I'll be keeping that theme with the upgrade. I'm going to use the dark rock tf cooler which if my measurements are right will fit right against the top cover vent and pull fresh air in. This cooler will easily handle mild over clocking. With the right ram and an m2 ssd card, this thing should boot and run programs pretty much instantly. Now that processors aren't following Moores law, the i5-6600k should still be decent performance in five years.

Good advice about watching for 6 SATA ports. I'm looking at the full size ATX boards and most of the gigabyte ATX boards seem to have 6 SATA.
Maybe I should post in the htpc gaming forum and see what motherboards they are using.

Really bummed that Renethx isn't around anymore. His guidance really helped last time. He was a major asset to avsforum. Hope he's doing well.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
A lot depends on what you will be using the computer for. If it's just "HTPC including media server" you don't need anything special and the overclocking won't be worth the effort.


Just yesterday, I pulled the trigger on replacing my aging media server which also doubles a the HTPC front end. I built it in 2009 around an AMD Athlon Kuma (2.7Ghz, dual core) and had upgraded to an ATI/AMD 5670 graphics card and an SSD at some point. It's still chugging along fine, but it's not up to much transcoding and I'm sick of listening to the fans while I watch TV. I had already committed to moving it to "backend server duty" with a silent box (Tronsmart Ara X5 Plus) in the TV room. Now, the old machine will be swapped out and given to the kids to play on, when the parts arrive next week for the new server.


Like you I bought an i5-6600k. I almost didn't buy the "k" as I have no need to mess with overclocking. This processor will do anything I ask for my own needs (recording TV, serving some Emby streams, etc.) while not even stretching it's default capabilities. But the K was available for $10 more, so I popped for it just in case.


For a mobo, I went with an Asus B150M-A / M.2 board. I got a microATX version as that's what will fit the case. Note, for server use, I wanted to make sure I got a board with 6 SATA ports... lots of them come with just 4 these days. Again, I don't plan on overclocking and I got a good deal on this board, and it was recommended by a fellow HTPC guy over on the Emby forum.


I got an M2 (2280 format) drive, RAM, and a Gemini M4 cooler.


My server will be just that... a media server... no games, no other use other than ripping the occasional bluray disc. I don't need anything fancy, but these components should last me the next 6-7 years for my purposes.


Good luck to you, and let us know what you buy!
notslow is offline  
post #19508 of 19525 Old 12-26-2016, 08:06 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looking forward to build a low cost htpc (under $350) soon. It should be dedicated to download/organize/run mostly 1080p files. It should run Win10/Kodi and play thru HDMI to my Sammy F6400 tv.

Case: Silverstone ML06-E

Mobo: Asrock AM1H-ITX

CPU: Athlon 5350

Memories: HyperX FURY 4GB (2x)

HDs: 120GB Kingston SSD for system/apps and Seagate 1TB Laptop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache (ST1000LM035) for files

Power: Silverstone ST30SF

Cooling: ARCTIC Alpine M1 Passive and 02 Noctua NF-A8 ULN 80mm

Is it ok for you? Any tips/options?
David O likes this.
Andre Stein is offline  
post #19509 of 19525 Old 02-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Member
 
snowboardheathen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Simple small HTPC w/4k

A few years ago I built my first (in a while) HTPC. I ended up going with a Zotac ID91, 512G SSD, and 8Gb ram. I use a DS1515 for storage and have left the SSD mostly empty beyond the OpenElec KODI standalone linux install.
I have plenty of 'computers' and just wanted something for the sole purpose/convenience of movie watching in my HT.

The ID91 has been more than enough for my HT needs up to this point. The only shortcoming being I would have liked to have had a more substantial/aesthetic case for my rack, but I haven't been able to justify having such a large case (and complicated build) since the Zotac's seem to fit my needs for the most part.

I recently got an Epson LS10000 which supports 4k enhancement and 3d. To take advantage of this I am considering upgrading to a 4k capable HTPC. My first thought is to go with a Zotac CI545-Nano. Silent and seems it will be a simple upgrade from my current build. (I should just have to pull the RAM/SSD from my old ID91 and drop them in the new nano and install the newest version of OE/Kodi)

Before I go this route I thought I would get reach out for some opinions. I have yet to try any 4k MKV but I prefer to typically watch MKV and have most of my media this way for convenience. I am hoping the swap to CI545 will be sufficient to allow 4k output if I so choose.


EDIT: looking closely at the CI545 I realize it only does 4k @ 24Hz over HDMI. So I'd have to go with something like the MAGNUS EN970 or MAGNUS EN1060 which is about 4 times the cost. I'd appreciate some recommendations.


Thanks for any recommendation or otherwise.

Last edited by snowboardheathen; 02-15-2017 at 12:38 PM.
snowboardheathen is offline  
post #19510 of 19525 Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 PM
Member
 
Nomgle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboardheathen View Post
EDIT: looking closely at the CI545 I realize it only does 4k @ 24Hz over HDMI.
You need something with an HDMI 2.0 output, to get proper 4K output.

One way to do it is to pick up an ex-corporate DELL SFF machine cheaply (they're just a simple black box, so they integrate well with an AV rack), and they come with two low-profile card slots.

Stick one of these in - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814137079 - and you're good to go.
Nomgle is offline  
post #19511 of 19525 Old 02-16-2017, 11:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Your Epson LS10000 projector has a native resolution of 1920 by 1080. Technically, you won't see any advantage of using 4K. There is no point going forward to 4K.

The Zotac CI545-Nano should be able to handle 4K at 60 hertz. The only way it can do this is to use DisplayPort to HDMI converter. Skylake doesn't have support for AACS 2.0 which is required for 4K Blu-Ray. Also, Skylake doesn't have support for VP9 that some internet video sites may use for 4K. Kaby Lake processor has support for VP9 and AACS 2.0. Rumors about AMD's latest processor may be coming out next week, but rumors shouldn't be taken as truth. The internet has information about AMD's latest processor. I'm not sure if AMD's latest processor has AACS 2.0 support.
tecknurd is offline  
post #19512 of 19525 Old 02-19-2017, 04:52 PM
Member
 
Nomgle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
The Zotac CI545-Nano should be able to handle 4K at 60 hertz. The only way it can do this is to use DisplayPort to HDMI converter...
Specifically an Active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter - like this -> https://www.startech.com/au/AV/Displ...-4k~DP2HD4K60S or this http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/pro...e-adapter.html

These weren't yet on the market the last time I looked, which is why I recommended the nVidia card above. But it looks like it is now possible to convert 4K 60Hz DisplayPort to 4K 60Hz HDMI 2.0
Nomgle is offline  
post #19513 of 19525 Old 02-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Member
 
snowboardheathen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
Your Epson LS10000 projector has a native resolution of 1920 by 1080. Technically, you won't see any advantage of using 4K. There is no point going forward to 4K.
I am not that familiar with 4k vs 4k enhancement but reading the post here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2493034,00.asp It seems it would still be advantageous to play the 4k video with the ls10000?

I had finally settled on the 'nvidia shield' which seems like it would handle HULU/Netflix/Amazon Video and Kodi all in stride pretty inexpensively.

But I don't want to bother if there isn't a benefit of 4k.
snowboardheathen is offline  
post #19514 of 19525 Old 03-07-2017, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Hey all, I'm not sure how many followers are left on this thread but I thought I'd reach out here. I recently read an article on the Xeon e5-2670 (sandy bridge version 1) and it seems to be a really good deal. Thinking about upgrading my server with this cpu and a used motherboard. Anybody in the know that can recommend a decent board?
jhughy2010 is offline  
post #19515 of 19525 Old 06-21-2018, 04:12 AM
Senior Member
 
rlhowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga NE
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HTPC upgrade?? worth it ?

My HTPC died and I am wondering if it is worth replacing. I might have luck resurrecting it but we were using Roku for most watching.

I do find the Roku remote tedious.

I had Win 7 and Media center but was always having issues.

I dropped cable and have OTA reception. On a hill 3-5 miles from towers. Just nothing to take advantage of it.


I even have an original Win Home server from 2008 still humming away with recorded tv and no way to watch.


I just bought a new TV replacing a HP brand 50" Plasma from 2007 and reading up on options has me thinking again.

Running Win 10 on a 7 yr old desktop but a vi card replacement last week brought it back to life. Plex is installed but I never learned to use it.


So everything I set up 10-12 years ago has now broke and replaced except HTPC.


I built great speakers so sound is still great . Two subs and 7 surrounds. receiver, all run by Roku. Is beefing this up worth it.
rlhowell is offline  
post #19516 of 19525 Old 06-21-2018, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jim tressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I picked up a chromebox and run kodi on it for the main "theater" tv. It will play blue ray rips direct and bitstream audio. all other tv's I use roku to stream ripped blu rays in mp4 or mkv off the plex server running on freenas. works well.. note I am still on 1080p tvs and my audio is either via the tv or an onkyo 609 at 5.1. Still works for us.. I would immagine when we go to 4k i'll have to figure out what to do with the chromebox
rlhowell likes this.
jim tressler is offline  
post #19517 of 19525 Old 06-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
sdolen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhowell View Post
My HTPC died and I am wondering if it is worth replacing. I might have luck resurrecting it but we were using Roku for most watching.

I do find the Roku remote tedious.

I had Win 7 and Media center but was always having issues.

I dropped cable and have OTA reception. On a hill 3-5 miles from towers. Just nothing to take advantage of it.


I even have an original Win Home server from 2008 still humming away with recorded tv and no way to watch.


I just bought a new TV replacing a HP brand 50" Plasma from 2007 and reading up on options has me thinking again.

Running Win 10 on a 7 yr old desktop but a vi card replacement last week brought it back to life. Plex is installed but I never learned to use it.


So everything I set up 10-12 years ago has now broke and replaced except HTPC.


I built great speakers so sound is still great . Two subs and 7 surrounds. receiver, all run by Roku. Is beefing this up worth it.

I'm in a similar situation, still have two Win 7 Media Centers and a 2012R2 Windows Essentials Server for Storage and the MyMovies server. Maybe we use them 2-3 times in the last year. I've long ago stopped ripping Blu-rays and find we just end up streaming everything. When mine die, I will probably just replace with with Fire Stick/Kodi devices or something similar.
sdolen is offline  
post #19518 of 19525 Old 06-21-2018, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
mr b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 698
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I recently upgraded my HTPC (4th Gen I7 to 8th gen I7) but still have a Server2012 being used to host media that replaced a win home media server.



I like to tinker and wanted to learn about server2012, but it's gotten to be (has been) overkill and i'm thinking of just converting it to W10 used as a server.


I've got a about 20T of media using FlexRAID(mainly 4K UHD rips) and use my HTPC as well as a Shield to view the media. I like to keep full ISO rips instead of converting to MKV in case we're ever able to get DV via a streaming device. Right now I can get them to play in HDR via either KODI (v18) or MPC-BE(pc)



I really wish MS would have continued the home server since it bulletproof for me, but W10Pro with RDP should suffice. My biggest issue is going to be rebuilding the FlexRAID and with today's prices on even 10TB servers, it may be better to not go the raid route.

@rlhowell :
I would say, if you like to tinker and customize, you can get a lot done with a new HTPC build. If you just want be able to enjoy your media, I'd go with a streaming device (Shield, ATV, Roku, etc.) and keep the home server as the host for your media to those devices.
mR_Mo likes this.

My Gear:
Spoiler!
mr b is online now  
post #19519 of 19525 Old 06-22-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 2,629
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Finally the prices of graphics cards are coming back down. This is a good one for a fully capable HTPC:

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...1435750-web-20
Marc_G likes this.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
mlknez is offline  
post #19520 of 19525 Old 09-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Member
 
lfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It is very quiet now days on this thread. But I have had some new experiences lately with my years old WMC HTPC that I thought might be of interest to those of us who haven't found a better alternative and still use WMC.

1. If you are not running your HTPC on a solid state c drive make the change. I actually have two WMC HTPC computers. One on silicon and one with spinning C drive. I knew the solid state drive worked well but had attributed the marginal performance of the spinning drive computer to its age and build up of programs etc. Changed it to a solid state drive. What a change. I use several Ceton extenders on it with the Ceton cable card tuner. Everything is now responsive and better than it has ever been. Huge transformation.

2. My original Ceton tuner card went bad. I really didn't know what was going on. Getting lots of messages like "you must set up cable TV" from WMC, missed recordings which had never happened over many years of use. Just unreliability. I bought another used Ceton. Put it in the solid state C drive HTPC and it immediately stabilized. The responsiveness of the newer Ceton tuner is much better than my first generation Ceton card ever was. So if you are seeing strange things with a first generation Ceton, a newer or new card may transform your experience and give a new life to your HTPC.

3. I use Acronis for backup. I had to recover my c Drive from a backup. Found out that old Win 7 (on two of my computers) will not run their Linux recovery software. Ended up having to do a new Win7 install on my c drive and install Acornis there to access "recover disc" function to rebuild my C drive from my good backup. I eventually was successful but took me two days of trial and error before I got a bootable drive. But the end result is just fine. My advice is to clone your working c Drive now to create a backup bootable drive so that if your main c drive fails, you can boot the spare and clone it back to a fast solid state drive to go forward. Also, I am now backing up my C drive and any other drives separately in Acronis rather than using a "backup computer" catch all mode so that I can easily access a "recover disc" option for each individual disc from my backup. This function produces a bootable c drive from a backup. A true Acronis expert may have a better solution but this one works, at least for me.

4. The Digital Cable Advisor may not be available to download anymore to add back in to a Win7 install like mine which did not have it as part of WMC as delivered. I couldn't find it on line and if I had not recovered my C drive, I may have lost the cable card DVR/tuner functions in my HTPC. I imagine there has to be a place somewhere to download this but I recovered my backup before I had to really dig deep to find it.

5. I never see it talked about but one of the best things about WMC is its ability to play ripped CD's of recordings that were designed to play seamlessly between tracks without silence gaps without gaps in the playback. I don't know of another solution, though there may be one out there.

So after a couple of days of battle, my HTPC is working better than ever. Anyone else have new user experience and tips for those of us who just can't let go of WMC? Anyone know of a solution that does all of the things WMC does (edit channel guide, play lossless codec music seamlessly, have massive recording capacity)? I don't.

I do also have a new Apple TV. It is good but I have not given in and moved to the Apple ecosystem so it is a growth process for me to unleash its capabilities. It does the streaming thing well. WMC HTPC and AppleTV together have everything covered so far as I can tell.
Marc_G likes this.
lfox is offline  
post #19521 of 19525 Old 09-03-2018, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indianapolis Metro Area
Posts: 1,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Nice post!

I will offer a different view from clinging to WMC, that is to migrate away from WMC in favor of Emby as a software platform. I use Emby to replace my DVR functions for TV using silicon dust tuners. It stores all of my ripped media from discs that I own, and it plays great to my main home theater PC or any Roku stick anywhere in the world that has internet access, or to my Android smartphone or tablet, or numerous other devices. It just works! For a while I thought they would rip WMC out of my cold dead fingers, but now I'm very happy that I have moved on and no longer need to worry about outdated software components.

Again thank you for an excellent post.

I wonder whatever happened to ReneThx?

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Marc_G is offline  
post #19522 of 19525 Old 09-03-2018, 04:16 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,354
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
I will offer a different view from clinging to WMC, that is to migrate away from WMC in favor of Emby as a software platform. I use Emby to replace my DVR functions for TV using silicon dust tuners. It stores all of my ripped media from discs that I own, and it plays great to my main home theater PC or any Roku stick anywhere in the world that has internet access, or to my Android smartphone or tablet, or numerous other devices. It just works! For a while I thought they would rip WMC out of my cold dead fingers, but now I'm very happy that I have moved on and no longer need to worry about outdated software components.
The only caveat with this, and it's a big one, is that WMC is the only option for recording DRM channels (typically things like HBO, but sometimes nearly every channel in some cable TV systems). In my case, the only channel that I've cared about that we subscribe do that has DRM is FX. Now that The Americans has ended, I don't believe there's anything on our FIOS service (that we pay for) that has this issue.

JRiver Media Center is another excellent choice as a DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
I wonder whatever happened to ReneThx?
I suspect he got exhausted from keeping the build guides updated and moved on to other things. He had to have put in a TON of work each time he put a guide together. I miss his contributions here though.
Iteki likes this.
gsr is online now  
post #19523 of 19525 Old 09-04-2018, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,943
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 643
This thread was a gold mine back in the day. Used it a lot.
jim tressler and rmmeli like this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #19524 of 19525 Old 10-30-2018, 05:38 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HTPC wmc movie and music play back

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfox View Post
It is very quiet now days on this thread. But I have had some new experiences lately with my years old WMC HTPC that I thought might be of interest to those of us who haven't found a better alternative and still use WMC.

1. If you are not running your HTPC on a solid state c drive make the change. I actually have two WMC HTPC computers. One on silicon and one with spinning C drive. I knew the solid state drive worked well but had attributed the marginal performance of the spinning drive computer to its age and build up of programs etc. Changed it to a solid state drive. What a change. I use several Ceton extenders on it with the Ceton cable card tuner. Everything is now responsive and better than it has ever been. Huge transformation.

2. My original Ceton tuner card went bad. I really didn't know what was going on. Getting lots of messages like "you must set up cable TV" from WMC, missed recordings which had never happened over many years of use. Just unreliability. I bought another used Ceton. Put it in the solid state C drive HTPC and it immediately stabilized. The responsiveness of the newer Ceton tuner is much better than my first generation Ceton card ever was. So if you are seeing strange things with a first generation Ceton, a newer or new card may transform your experience and give a new life to your HTPC.

3. I use Acronis for backup. I had to recover my c Drive from a backup. Found out that old Win 7 (on two of my computers) will not run their Linux recovery software. Ended up having to do a new Win7 install on my c drive and install Acornis there to access "recover disc" function to rebuild my C drive from my good backup. I eventually was successful but took me two days of trial and error before I got a bootable drive. But the end result is just fine. My advice is to clone your working c Drive now to create a backup bootable drive so that if your main c drive fails, you can boot the spare and clone it back to a fast solid state drive to go forward. Also, I am now backing up my C drive and any other drives separately in Acronis rather than using a "backup computer" catch all mode so that I can easily access a "recover disc" option for each individual disc from my backup. This function produces a bootable c drive from a backup. A true Acronis expert may have a better solution but this one works, at least for me.

4. The Digital Cable Advisor may not be available to download anymore to add back in to a Win7 install like mine which did not have it as part of WMC as delivered. I couldn't find it on line and if I had not recovered my C drive, I may have lost the cable card DVR/tuner functions in my HTPC. I imagine there has to be a place somewhere to download this but I recovered my backup before I had to really dig deep to find it.

5. I never see it talked about but one of the best things about WMC is its ability to play ripped CD's of recordings that were designed to play seamlessly between tracks without silence gaps without gaps in the playback. I don't know of another solution, though there may be one out there.

So after a couple of days of battle, my HTPC is working better than ever. Anyone else have new user experience and tips for those of us who just can't let go of WMC? Anyone know of a solution that does all of the things WMC does (edit channel guide, play lossless codec music seamlessly, have massive recording capacity)? I don't.

I do also have a new Apple TV. It is good but I have not given in and moved to the Apple ecosystem so it is a growth process for me to unleash its capabilities. It does the streaming thing well. WMC HTPC and AppleTV together have everything covered so far as I can tell.
I have watched this forum for many years, mostly to reading reviews. I thought I had posted here a while back, but I guess I am wrong. I could not use my old username.

Anyway, I use 2 NUCs for my HTPCs and they have done well. I would like to update to the latest NUCs in the future so that I can watch my Movies through PowerDVD. I feel that the NUCs would be a good fit because they are SGX compatible which PowerDVD requires for 4K UHD playback. If someone uses a different mini HTPC that supports SGX and UHD HDR playback please let me know.

Currently I use Mymovies "mymovies.dk" for cataloging my discs and disc playback. It became a little lame when WMC went away and I tried Kodi and Jriver, but they did not suit me as well as Mymovies, so I used WMC on windows 10 which seemed a struggle for me to maintain.

I did not know what I could do and I invested a lot of time updating and cataloging my discs in Mymovies and was afraid that I would have to abandon all the work that I had done. Last year a developer came out with a Mymovies companion, which has gradually grown to be a good replacement for my WMC needs. No, it does not have DVR playback or the ability to play tv shows with a cablecard. It does display and play my Movie discs and play my music much like WMC did. It also uses other players other than PowerDVD like MPC-HC, MPC-BE, VLC and a few others. For music it plays mp3, Flac, m4a, and a number of other formats. I really like this software playback tool and if it is used for those functions it is quite good. I have no affiliation with the guy who developed this product, but I have done commentaries on the mymovies site stating my satisfaction with the product. I don't know whether you are required to use mymovies with it, but I do anyway. It is called Chameleon media center and you can find posts on it at the mymovies web site.

Also, because of difficulties with my Yamaha receiver, I am only able to play my music and movies via toslink. I also would like a recommendation on a good USB external sound card that I can hook up to my NUCs. I have seen that creative Labs and Star tech have a couple of external sound cards and I was wondering whether others use them, or can recommend another company. I am mostly looking four something that will do 5.1 to 7.1 playback.
jamiewaterworld is offline  
post #19525 of 19525 Old 12-04-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,865
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quick question: I ran out of SATA ports in my server. I do NOT have a RAID set-up. Currently, I run WD RED drives and pool them utilizing StableBit DrivePool and monitor them utilizing StableBit Scanner. So, I was thinking of purchasing one of these cheap cards: I/O CREST 4 Port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x2 Non RAID Hard Drive Controller Card Marvell 9235 Chipset

Thoughts? I've read somewhere that these cards can be extremely slow... but, if all I need is to access static media isn't this all that is needed? They would just be for the pooled drives. The other components would use motherboard SATA ports.
jhughy2010 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Computers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off