DNNA/ReplayTV declare bankrupcy - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 50 Old 07-30-2015, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by delver View Post
Would someone more senior on this forum, say one of the LaHo team, like to contact George Miller and let us know what he says?
That's nice.. he never never returned my email from Monday!

I'll fill out the webform and give them a call next week. There are some things I'm interested in to help LaHo. I don't want to post it publicly and run up the price.

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 08-05-2015, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the letter also, but I was a monthly subscriber so they don't owe me anything as far as I'm concerned. In fact I got the guide data for free since the last big thing two or three years ago. When I first opened the letter I thought someone was taking me to court. I almost hit the ceiling.
post #33 of 50 Old 09-01-2015, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
DNNA Assets

Today's letter from the bankruptcy court says that there are assets from which a dividend might possibly be paid to creditors.

I'm still wondering why we're considered creditors. Did all ReplayTV owners on record receive the bankruptcy notice? Or just those who purchased lifetime service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 Old 09-02-2015, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmitt View Post
Today's letter from the bankruptcy court says that there are assets from which a dividend might possibly be paid to creditors.

I'm still wondering why we're considered creditors. Did all ReplayTV owners on record receive the bankruptcy notice? Or just those who purchased lifetime service?
Are you saying I'm supposed to receive something? I have regisered 3 Replays for lifetime service (the first 2 for $250 each and the third for $299).

I remember at the time (soon after the 5080 became available), people were saying that lifetime would be cheaper than monthly if you kept the Replay for so long (IIRC 27 months). I used the service for 94 months (until I switched to WiRNS3).
post #35 of 50 Old 09-02-2015, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmitt View Post

I suppose lifetime customers could be considered creditors in the you prepaid for service and the company has an obligation to deliver. The court would have to decide if you were entitled to any compensation in consideration of the value you already received in comparison to other creditors (banks, vendors, etc.) who never received any value. The fact that you got the notice means they got your name from somewhere, probably a list of lifetime service customers. Can you post a copy of the letter you got today?
post #36 of 50 Old 09-02-2015, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefish View Post
I suppose lifetime customers could be considered creditors in the you prepaid for service and the company has an obligation to deliver. The court would have to decide if you were entitled to any compensation in consideration of the value you already received in comparison to other creditors (banks, vendors, etc.) who never received any value. The fact that you got the notice means they got your name from somewhere, probably a list of lifetime service customers. Can you post a copy of the letter you got today?
I never got a letter, and I know I was in their system due to repairs on a few lifetime units at my current and most recent addresses. I don't think their list is accurate.
post #37 of 50 Old 09-02-2015, 05:10 PM

I see from notyoung's post that some monthly subscribers received the bankruptcy notice also.

Maybe they just sent it to their customer list? I'm sure I registered my ReplayTV with SONICblue in 2003. And I did purchase a new ReplayTV remote from S2G in 2011.

Letter is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 8-25-2015 Bankruptcy Letter.pdf (228.0 KB, 70 views)
thefish likes this.

Last edited by mschmitt; 09-03-2015 at 05:30 PM.
post #38 of 50 Old 09-03-2015, 10:28 AM

I haven't had a transaction with ReplayTV since 2003 and have moved twice since then so I never got a letter. I doubt I have any claim against them after 12+ years of lifetime service nor would I have any proof of it. I don't feel like they owe me anything. But if they were mailing checks to people, I would get them my address!
post #39 of 50 Old 09-08-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have two ReplayTV units, but I've never received any of these letters. Maybe it's because I bought them from a third-party reseller, not directly from ReplayTV/SonicBlue.
post #40 of 50 Old 09-09-2015, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmar View Post
I have two ReplayTV units, but I've never received any of these letters. Maybe it's because I bought them from a third-party reseller, not directly from ReplayTV/SonicBlue.
I would expect it to be associsted with activation, rather than purchase. I still have 3 activated units and aren't even expecting any of those letters.
post #41 of 50 Old 09-10-2015, 09:29 AM

I'm filing an electronic claim for the entire $299 lifetime activation fee.

Why not?

Doesn't cost me anything - the only thing I had to do was to convert the confirmation email from DNNA to a PDF file as documentation.
post #42 of 50 Old 09-10-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

Why not?

Doesn't cost me anything - the only thing I had to do was to convert the confirmation email from DNNA to a PDF file as documentation.
What was the monthly activation fee? $12.95?

I paid $250 for lifetime activation, so I calculate that I recouped that cost over 10 years ago. I don't think DNNA owes me anything.

Except, maybe, for the true story of what happened a year ago, and why didn't they reinstate the monthly billing?
post #43 of 50 Old 09-10-2015, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post

Why not?

I wonder if this is tied to the person of record when the plug was pulled...

I bought a 5040 in 2003; it was LT. I bought another 5040 in 2004, but it was a monthly unit. I paid the monthly until my CC had expired, and I hadn't realized it. Conveniently, it was the time that DNNA said, "No more monthlies...." so I was good....

Since they pulled the plug on my monthly as a result of a CC expiry issue. I see it possible that I may miss out. I actually own 6 RTV's... 4 of them came (originally) with LT subs..

It would seem that the owner of record at the time DNNA stopped charging for monthlies will win.

I wonder if the blokes I purchases my LT units off of will benefit... and get their 3 bennies..

Wow.

Getting back a LT sub fee 11+ years later after the fact is awesome..
post #44 of 50 Old 09-11-2015, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 134
These letters are just standard procedures for anyone considered a creditor in chapter 7 which anyone with lifetime service would be...considering the debt load, I'd be surprise if anything is returned...you're probably talking pennies on the dollar, so might get a check for a buck or $2...LOL.

It was a great ride though, differently one of my favorite pieces of technology over the years!
post #45 of 50 Old 09-11-2015, 11:02 AM

Since I didn't get the letter I am not going to pursue it. But I don't see an issue with anyone filing a claim. I will be curious to see what they get, if anything. Keep us posted.
post #46 of 50 Old 09-17-2015, 12:34 PM

I'd done nothing, using my ethernet connected RTV occasionally as a VCR, and using DNNA to set my clock. It appears now that DNNA is not responding at all; is that true, or possibly a LAN problem?
post #47 of 50 Old 09-17-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Unhappy DNNA Servers - RIP

~3 weeks ago I noticed that my "CBS-dedicated" RTV's RED Recording light came on over a minute later than my "ABC-dedicated" RTV (both 5XXXs) for the Evening News @ 1830. Although the DNNA servers were still up, the NTP portion was giving wildly varying times, according to a Windows utility that I'd have to look up again, which the RTVs rejected. So, I switched to Extra Special Good Will (see PlanetReplay) which Henry and Robert graciously provided to intercept just the NTP time-setting portion of the Net Connect.

My last successful Net Connect on the CBS RTV was 9/11/15, so I'd say that was the day the DNNA servers finally went down.

To continue using your ReplayTVs now, you'll need either LaHo or WiRNS 3.x w/Schedules Direct. If you do nothing, besides the time drifting, AFAIK, your unit(s) will eventually lose activation since the Mothership no long exists.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #48 of 50 Old 09-17-2015, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post
To continue using your ReplayTVs now, you'll need either LaHo or WiRNS 3.x w/Schedules Direct.

You can also use LaHo's Good Will just to set the clock and keep the unit activated. That will continue to work as long as your Replay stays set up. If you have to reconfigure your lineup or ZIP code or factory reset or use a new image, then you will not be able to use Good Will, then you're only choices would be LaHo or WiRNS3...

Henry
SD_Shadow likes this.
post #49 of 50 Old 09-24-2015, 11:49 AM

Thanks for your responses & suggestions. Still have not done anything, my RTV as VCR is still OK, the clock has not drifted, and my activation status has not changed; any idea how long the latter might take?
post #50 of 50 Old 09-25-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post
Thanks for your responses & suggestions. Still have not done anything, my RTV as VCR is still OK, the clock has not drifted, and my activation status has not changed; any idea how long the latter might take?
I was doing the same during the summer as I was only recording the news, but now that the shows are coming back, I switch to WiRNS and SD. My clock was definitely drifting, so I was having to start shows a minute later to compensate.

If you're a techie, I would definitely recommend switching to WiRNS as it gives you so much control, but if you're not a techie you should switch to LaHo.

I don't expect anything will change as far as your activation goes, and if it were to become a problem, I bet Robert or Henry would give u some sort of patch solution via LaHo "Good Will".

Later, Rob

Select a link for questions on: Remotes, JP1, JP1 Forums
I prefer emails to PMs, my email is rob1 (at) rockabilly (dot) net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page