Showstopper owners, Panasonic isn't Bankrupt - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By hdonzis
  • 1 Post By Reden

post #1 of 13 Old 07-30-2015, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Showstopper owners, Panasonic isn't Bankrupt

OK, probably a lost cause, but just like with the last shutdown, I contacted Panasonic on the loss of the TV guide.

They opened a problem number, read me from their scripts (um, US??? we provide the hardware, Replaytv provides the guide, so sorry). I reminded "Bradley", my call rep., that I bought from Panasonic because I didn't want to deal with a startup company.

It was a therapeutic experience. And maybe if enough showstopper owners contact them (I have one, as does my 86 year old mom), maybe they'll pickup the Replaytv defunct server operations to preserve their good name.

Here's the contact info:

ShowStopper® Hard Disk Recorder
888-726-2377 - tech, showstopper
Hours of Operation
Mon-Fri 9:00 AM-9:00 PM, EST
Sat-Sun 10:00 AM-7:00 PM, EST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-01-2015, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwz View Post
OK, probably a lost cause, but just like with the last shutdown, I contacted Panasonic on the loss of the TV guide.

They opened a problem number, read me from their scripts (um, US??? we provide the hardware, Replaytv provides the guide, so sorry). I reminded "Bradley", my call rep., that I bought from Panasonic because I didn't want to deal with a startup company.

It was a therapeutic experience. And maybe if enough showstopper owners contact them (I have one, as does my 86 year old mom), maybe they'll pickup the Replaytv defunct server operations to preserve their good name.

Here's the contact info:

ShowStopper® Hard Disk Recorder
888-726-2377 - tech, showstopper
Hours of Operation
Mon-Fri 9:00 AM-9:00 PM, EST
Sat-Sun 10:00 AM-7:00 PM, EST
It would be great Panny took the flag up for the modem users, but it would have to be a big number for them to do so, and i'm sure they are making sure that only people who git their showstoppers from Panasonic directly and have receipts in their number tally if they would do it or not.

I wonder if it would be for just SS or would those with 2K & 3K's would end up being able to connect... for now its single record mania !!!
post #3 of 13 Old 08-02-2015, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopRock View Post
It would be great Panny took the flag up for the modem users, but it would have to be a big number for them to do so, and i'm sure they are making sure that only people who git their showstoppers from Panasonic directly and have receipts in their number tally if they would do it or not.

I wonder if it would be for just SS or would those with 2K & 3K's would end up being able to connect... for now its single record mania !!!
The dial service was built in 1998. I can't see Panasonic doing the research and administration to exclude replaytv (vs showstopper) authentication.

I'd hope that if 100 people called in and complained about Panasonic reneging on lifetime support of their product, they might just pay for the guide data feed and continue the operation.

Then again,interesting coincidence that Windows media center switched it's guide away from Zap2it in early July, with ongoing problems.

http://winsupersite.com/windows/micr...ter-switchover

Wonder if we'll ever get to know exactly what caused the guide shutdown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-07-2015, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I feel that any money received for lifetime subscriptions and set aside to fund the service would have been used up years ago. I read somewhere that $200 was set aside for each of the original dialup machines, which was sold with a lifetime subscription included. Even taking into account the junked machines, I don't see how enough funding remained. There were contracts with ISPs such as AT&T and bee.net to provide dialup access through their banks of local numbers around the country. There was a contract with the guide provider. On top of that, there were server computers to maintain, office space leasing, and a staff to be paid.

I don't think that the funding planners expected the machines to still be in service so long, in a world of rapid obsolescence. It is really through an excellent design to begin with and the work of volunteers that enhancements such as the hard disk replacement procedure (replacing bad hard disks and increasing Showstopper recording time to as much as 133 hours) and adding IR codes for new equipment have kept the machines alive and well.

I would speculate that Panasonic, as the only player still in business, was funding DNNA out of its current revenue, possibly to protect its reputation and on advice of its legal department. If so, it has now decided to "pull the plug."

I am surprised that Tivo didn't acquire the company and equipment. Quite often, when a company is about to fail, a competitor takes over its assets. Tivo could have offered a migration path to its own equipment, but that never happened.

For more information about the history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayTV
post #5 of 13 Old 08-07-2015, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap_ncrunch View Post
I am surprised that Tivo didn't acquire the company and equipment. Quite often, when a company is about to fail, a competitor takes over its assets. Tivo could have offered a migration path to its own equipment, but that never happened.
Remember that DirecTV already acquired the IP of ReplayTV, so all that was left was the EPG service. Not likely something that TiVo would want as it would only make a slight improvement in their monthly subscription but with a lot of fuss and muss and overhead and complexity, etc.

And, TiVo did offer a migration path. Back in 2011 when DNNA announced the first shutdown, TiVo advertised an offer for ReplayTV owners. I have no idea how many takers they had. It could be that they still offer a discount for ReplayTV owners. I looked at it at the time and didn't think it was that big of a deal.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-08-2015, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Forgot about that TiVo offer too. Found the old link to the TiVo offer for ReplayTV customers here: http://blog.tivo.com/2011/07/welcome.../#.VcZJLfmaUWs

Link to discount product doesn't work anymore - no surprise there. TiVo Summer sale is still going on for basic and OTA roamio.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-31-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post
FYI: As of today 8/31/15 the dial-up mothership is still connecting on all three local phone numbers I tried and stepping through the entire process. We know Replay never ran the dial up network but it is strange the servers are still responding somewhere.
No, not really all that strange. We know that the servers are still responding. Plenty of people have reported that they can still connect to them, they just don't set the time correctly nor serve any guide data. The only thing that the dial-up numbers provide, since they have nothing to do with ReplayTV as you correctly stated, is to provide an Internet connection for the Replay to connect. If you read the thread "Best Way Foward For Dial Up Users?" you will understand that once you give Internet access to the dial-up units, they connect to ReplayTV the same as anything else, there is no magic nor special dial-up servers or anything like that. They operate no differently than using dial-up service for your home Internet, as was the typical home Internet connection many years ago. And, the dial-up providers are still operational, the ReplayTV servers are still operational, so it's not strange at all that things are still responding. At the point that you can no longer access replaytv.net from your computer, that's when there will be nothing ReplayTV related to respond.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-31-2015, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If anyone wants my Panasonic Showstopper 1000 for use or parts, it's free. Only the cost of shipping, if required. I think it still works but hasn't been in service for a couple years. There's an AT&T Replay remote for it too. I'm east of greater Los Angeles in case of a local pickup request. PM me if interested. Back to regular programming now...

Arvy
post #9 of 13 Old 08-31-2015, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayAddict View Post
No, not really all that strange. We know that the servers are still responding. Plenty of people have reported that they can still connect to them, they just don't set the time correctly nor serve any guide data. The only thing that the dial-up numbers provide, since they have nothing to do with ReplayTV as you correctly stated, is to provide an Internet connection for the Replay to connect. If you read the thread "Best Way Foward For Dial Up Users?" you will understand that once you give Internet access to the dial-up units, they connect to ReplayTV the same as anything else, there is no magic nor special dial-up servers or anything like that. They operate no differently than using dial-up service for your home Internet, as was the typical home Internet connection many years ago. And, the dial-up providers are still operational, the ReplayTV servers are still operational, so it's not strange at all that things are still responding. At the point that you can no longer access replaytv.net from your computer, that's when there will be nothing ReplayTV related to respond.
Do you know how long the time setting problem has existed?

It was around the summer of 2011 when the clock capacitor in my 2020 failed. A net connect would work except it would NOT set the clock.

BTW, I fixed the capacitor problem.

Also, the domain "replaytv.net" is registered to "DIRECTV, LLC":
Updated Date: 20-jun-2015
Creation Date: 25-jun-1998
Expiration Date: 24-jun-2016
post #10 of 13 Old 09-01-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post
Do you know how long the time setting problem has existed?
I haven't the slightest idea! I simply read that there was currently a time setting problem, which was preventing people from connecting to "the mothership" after a factory reset. I wrote "plenty of people have reported", so it was simply a statement that it wasn't strange that the dial-up connection was doing the same thing as the Ethernet connection, both having problems setting the clock and both not serving any guide data.

It was my understanding, however, that the clock set problem you described was unique to dial-up users. Ethernet users were not having a problem getting the clock set, only dial-up users. I saw that the LaHo "good will" program provided setting the clock for dial-up users, no mention of Ethernet users. So, that sounds like a different problem to me.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-03-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
LaHo's Goodwill will set the clock for network units.. will also do it for dialup, if it can get to us.

LaHo's Goodwill2 will set the clock and still point people to ReplayTV. The problem is some of ReplayTV's ntp* addresses are cnames to the their defunct ReplayPC project which doesn't have IP addresses any more. Goodwill2 simply points the ReplayPC names to the other ReplayTV servers.

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #12 of 13 Old 09-04-2015, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post
The problem is some of ReplayTV's ntp* addresses are cnames to the their defunct ReplayPC project which doesn't have IP addresses any more.
Actually, there are NO ReplayTV ntp* addresses which have anything to do with the defunct ReplayPC project, and that doesn't have anything to do with the problem setting the clock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post
Goodwill2 simply points the ReplayPC names to the other ReplayTV servers.
This is correct, that the Extra Special Good Will points the ReplayPC names to the currently operating ReplayTV servers, but this is only for file downloads, like Replay Zones and software updates...

Henry
SD_Shadow likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-05-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Yea, what Henry said... I was doing the first thing from memory.
SD_Shadow likes this.

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page