Any creative ideas for using old ReplayTVs?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mpgruett

post #1 of 9 Old 11-02-2018, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any creative ideas for using old ReplayTVs??

I'd love to be able to get some more use out of all the Replays I have, I just can't figure how.

Someone must have some good ideas... right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-03-2018, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With the proliferation of side-car channels mine are DVRing a lot of content still. Samsung DTB-H260F hooked up to the Replay and the Replay loaded with a custom IRDA blaster file I made that makes the Replay think it is tuning to channel 581 when it is really tuning "5-1". 582 is "5-2". 1081 is "10-1", etc.
g501 likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-08-2018, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgruett View Post
With the proliferation of side-car channels mine are DVRing a lot of content still. Samsung DTB-H260F hooked up to the Replay and the Replay loaded with a custom IRDA blaster file I made that makes the Replay think it is tuning to channel 581 when it is really tuning "5-1". 582 is "5-2". 1081 is "10-1", etc.
I'm not following the sidecar comment. The rest of the IRBlasting makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-09-2018, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgruett View Post

I'm using 5 Replays now. 4 on cable (It used to me more, until about 2 years ago when they started encrypting everything) and 1 on an antenna (which includes some channels not on cable) using a RCA DTA800B1L. This converter does not require the dash, so the channels I get are 191,192,193,511,512,513,514,561,562,563. Most of what I've been recording is from 193 (19-3, MeTV). No custom IR file needed, I use code 7911.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-26-2018, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 136
One of the last things I used mine for was to digitize some VHS tapes, but now that is done there is little use for mine anymore.

Deciding whether it's worth trying to get rid of it on craigslist or just send it to electronic recycle...tough to part with it though as it was a great piece of hardware, but now just sitting in the basement gathering dust.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-02-2018, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I still use my 2 replays with direct tv and a translator cable that they no longer make feeding from a dt-500 box. works fine.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
I'd love to be able to get some more use out of all the Replays I have, I just can't figure how.

Someone must have some good ideas... right?

Hello Jeff. I posted this on the planet replay forum, as "I'm not giving up"

I decided, for finances, to leave Comcast and other 'cable providers' and use the Amazon FireTV device to access Netflix and Amazon Prime. For local channels (CBS, NBC, etc.) I have flat panel antennas.

In order to continue using ReplayTV to record local channels from the antenna, I'll need a digital to analog TV signal converter box that I can control with the ReplayTV.

Is there a list of known good converter boxes that have control codes for the ReplayTV? I know I have an extensive set of codes loaded up and available. It's possible I'll need to update that list to control this new converter box.

Does anybody have experience using a converter box hooked up to ReplayTV?

Is this the only way to continue, besides signing up with Comcast, DirectTV & the like?

Thanks in advance!
Pete
post #8 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have an RCA DTA800B1L that I bought at the time that analog broadcasting was stopped. It works fine with the Replay (and WiRNS remapping 19.1 etc to 191 etc). However, I remember some people not getting that box to work.

Does anyone still get analog channels on cable? The cable here went to all-digital about 3 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwreimers View Post
Hello Jeff. I posted this on the planet replay forum, as "I'm not giving up"

I decided, for finances, to leave Comcast and other 'cable providers' and use the Amazon FireTV device to access Netflix and Amazon Prime. For local channels (CBS, NBC, etc.) I have flat panel antennas.

In order to continue using ReplayTV to record local channels from the antenna, I'll need a digital to analog TV signal converter box that I can control with the ReplayTV.

Is there a list of known good converter boxes that have control codes for the ReplayTV? I know I have an extensive set of codes loaded up and available. It's possible I'll need to update that list to control this new converter box.

Does anybody have experience using a converter box hooked up to ReplayTV?

Is this the only way to continue, besides signing up with Comcast, DirectTV & the like?

Thanks in advance!
Pete
post #9 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post
I have an RCA DTA800B1L that I bought at the time that analog broadcasting was stopped. It works fine with the Replay (and WiRNS remapping 19.1 etc to 191 etc). However, I remember some people not getting that box to work.
I am still using my CM-7000's with a custom IR-code that sends INFO-INFO at the end of the channel sequence to get rid of the OSD after the channel change. I had them re-capped by Whitebear (sp?) as soon as one of them failed.

Quote:

Does anyone still get analog channels on cable? The cable here went to all-digital about 3 years ago.

Does the night-light channel that displays a constant image informing you that your TV is working, but need a STB count? I didn't think so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page