Any creative ideas for using old ReplayTVs?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mpgruett
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-02-2018, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jeff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: One step ahead of you
Posts: 8,140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any creative ideas for using old ReplayTVs??

I'd love to be able to get some more use out of all the Replays I have, I just can't figure how.


Someone must have some good ideas... right?
Jeff D is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 11-03-2018, 08:11 PM
Newbie
 
mpgruett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With the proliferation of side-car channels mine are DVRing a lot of content still. Samsung DTB-H260F hooked up to the Replay and the Replay loaded with a custom IRDA blaster file I made that makes the Replay think it is tuning to channel 581 when it is really tuning "5-1". 582 is "5-2". 1081 is "10-1", etc.
g501 likes this.
mpgruett is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 11-08-2018, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jeff D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: One step ahead of you
Posts: 8,140
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgruett View Post
With the proliferation of side-car channels mine are DVRing a lot of content still. Samsung DTB-H260F hooked up to the Replay and the Replay loaded with a custom IRDA blaster file I made that makes the Replay think it is tuning to channel 581 when it is really tuning "5-1". 582 is "5-2". 1081 is "10-1", etc.
I'm not following the sidecar comment. The rest of the IRBlasting makes sense.
Jeff D is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 11-09-2018, 12:52 PM
Senior Member
 
mlloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: east Texas
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgruett View Post
With the proliferation of side-car channels mine are DVRing a lot of content still. Samsung DTB-H260F hooked up to the Replay and the Replay loaded with a custom IRDA blaster file I made that makes the Replay think it is tuning to channel 581 when it is really tuning "5-1". 582 is "5-2". 1081 is "10-1", etc.

I'm using 5 Replays now. 4 on cable (It used to me more, until about 2 years ago when they started encrypting everything) and 1 on an antenna (which includes some channels not on cable) using a RCA DTA800B1L. This converter does not require the dash, so the channels I get are 191,192,193,511,512,513,514,561,562,563. Most of what I've been recording is from 193 (19-3, MeTV). No custom IR file needed, I use code 7911.
mlloyd is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-26-2018, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bac522's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 136
One of the last things I used mine for was to digitize some VHS tapes, but now that is done there is little use for mine anymore.

Deciding whether it's worth trying to get rid of it on craigslist or just send it to electronic recycle...tough to part with it though as it was a great piece of hardware, but now just sitting in the basement gathering dust.
bac522 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 12-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Member
 
RileySmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I still use my 2 replays with direct tv and a translator cable that they no longer make feeding from a dt-500 box. works fine.
RileySmith is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 11-14-2019, 08:52 AM
Newbie
 
pwreimers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
I'd love to be able to get some more use out of all the Replays I have, I just can't figure how.


Someone must have some good ideas... right?

Hello Jeff. I posted this on the planet replay forum, as "I'm not giving up"


I decided, for finances, to leave Comcast and other 'cable providers' and use the Amazon FireTV device to access Netflix and Amazon Prime. For local channels (CBS, NBC, etc.) I have flat panel antennas.

In order to continue using ReplayTV to record local channels from the antenna, I'll need a digital to analog TV signal converter box that I can control with the ReplayTV.

Is there a list of known good converter boxes that have control codes for the ReplayTV? I know I have an extensive set of codes loaded up and available. It's possible I'll need to update that list to control this new converter box.

Does anybody have experience using a converter box hooked up to ReplayTV?

Is this the only way to continue, besides signing up with Comcast, DirectTV & the like?

Thanks in advance!
Pete
pwreimers is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 09:28 AM
Senior Member
 
mlloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: east Texas
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have an RCA DTA800B1L that I bought at the time that analog broadcasting was stopped. It works fine with the Replay (and WiRNS remapping 19.1 etc to 191 etc). However, I remember some people not getting that box to work.



Does anyone still get analog channels on cable? The cable here went to all-digital about 3 years ago.



Quote:
Originally Posted by pwreimers View Post
Hello Jeff. I posted this on the planet replay forum, as "I'm not giving up"

I decided, for finances, to leave Comcast and other 'cable providers' and use the Amazon FireTV device to access Netflix and Amazon Prime. For local channels (CBS, NBC, etc.) I have flat panel antennas.

In order to continue using ReplayTV to record local channels from the antenna, I'll need a digital to analog TV signal converter box that I can control with the ReplayTV.

Is there a list of known good converter boxes that have control codes for the ReplayTV? I know I have an extensive set of codes loaded up and available. It's possible I'll need to update that list to control this new converter box.

Does anybody have experience using a converter box hooked up to ReplayTV?

Is this the only way to continue, besides signing up with Comcast, DirectTV & the like?

Thanks in advance!
Pete
mlloyd is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dstoffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post
I have an RCA DTA800B1L that I bought at the time that analog broadcasting was stopped. It works fine with the Replay (and WiRNS remapping 19.1 etc to 191 etc). However, I remember some people not getting that box to work.
I am still using my CM-7000's with a custom IR-code that sends INFO-INFO at the end of the channel sequence to get rid of the OSD after the channel change. I had them re-capped by Whitebear (sp?) as soon as one of them failed.


Quote:

Does anyone still get analog channels on cable? The cable here went to all-digital about 3 years ago.

Does the night-light channel that displays a constant image informing you that your TV is working, but need a STB count? I didn't think so.
dstoffa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off