Suddenly "No video signal detected" from cable company on Replay - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-25-2020, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Suddenly "No video signal detected" on Replay

I don't know if anyone even reads these forums anymore, but I'm going to take a shot.

I was gone on vacation for a couple of weeks (Replays always seem to wait until I'm gone for a while to foul up), and when I got back, I checked one of my units, and saw a bunch of shows with 1s recorded *sigh*

Went to the Channel Guide...all up to date. Using LaHo for channels and paid up, so that's not an issue.
Showed all listings, etc. Cool
Clicked to go to a channel, and get "No video signal detected" on the screen and suggestions for checking that I'm subscribed to the channels (only looking at lower level channels (Basic Cable) at this point...doesn't matter, all channels showing the same), verify A/V components are on, cable box connected, etc.

Nothing has moved or changed or been adjusted since I left and all was working at that time.

Confirmed I can use the cable box to tune to any channel I want, so it's not my cable company

Can play recorded shows (from before I went on vacation), so it's not a video issue.

Did the 243+zones thing and erased channel guide 2x then reconnected to service to download new guides, etc.

Did not change results. Still 'no video signal detected'

This is an unmodified RTV 5504 (?...looking at S/N and Key info on screen). Been lazy on this one and never cracked the case...have a stockpile of older units from PVHS2000 (?) to 5504's lying around...have a bad habit of just setting one aside when it acts up and putting a different one into place as I fight the herd push to go to Tivo-related devices.

Anyone (out there?) have any ideas as to what's happened, why it waits for me to be away and what I can do to fix the issue?

Really appreciate any suggestions. Trying to avoid the EE desire to crack the case and start walking circuits...just want something that works, you know?

Thanks for any aid

David.

Last edited by tarl_cabot; 01-26-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have had this happen on one Replay (my first 5xxx unit). After a power outage, all A/V inputs wouldn't work "No Video Signal Detected" and short empty "recordings". I would have to reset the Replay (what you're "supposed to do" long press of power button or reset command from WiRNS) doesn't help. You have to remove power for about a second. Then it works until next time. I suspect the problem to be a failing power supply.

I do have an older unit (one of the first 2020), which works (after I replaced the supercapacitor) but is not really useful since the cable went to digital only and that old unit won't control a cable box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarl_cabot View Post
I don't know if anyone even reads these forums anymore, but I'm going to take a shot.

I was gone on vacation for a couple of weeks (Replays always seem to wait until I'm gone for a while to foul up), and when I got back, I checked one of my units, and saw a bunch of shows with 1s recorded *sigh*

Went to the Channel Guide...all up to date. Using LaHo for channels and paid up, so that's not an issue.
Showed all listings, etc. Cool
Clicked to go to a channel, and get "No video signal detected" on the screen and suggestions for checking that I'm subscribed to the channels (only looking at lower level channels (Basic Cable) at this point...doesn't matter, all channels showing the same), verify A/V components are on, cable box connected, etc.

Nothing has moved or changed or been adjusted since I left and all was working at that time.

Confirmed I can use the cable box to tune to any channel I want, so it's not my cable company

Can play recorded shows (from before I went on vacation), so it's not a video issue.

Did the 243+zones thing and erased channel guide 2x then reconnected to service to download new guides, etc.

Did not change results. Still 'no video signal detected'

This is an unmodified RTV 5504 (?...looking at S/N and Key info on screen). Been lazy on this one and never cracked the case...have a stockpile of older units from PVHS2000 (?) to 5504's lying around...have a bad habit of just setting one aside when it acts up and putting a different one into place as I fight the herd push to go to Tivo-related devices.

Anyone (out there?) have any ideas as to what's happened, why it waits for me to be away and what I can do to fix the issue?

Really appreciate any suggestions. Trying to avoid the EE desire to crack the case and start walking circuits...just want something that works, you know?

Thanks for any aid

David.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-26-2020, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post
I have had this happen on one Replay (my first 5xxx unit). After a power outage, all A/V inputs wouldn't work "No Video Signal Detected" and short empty "recordings". I would have to reset the Replay (what you're "supposed to do" long press of power button or reset command from WiRNS) doesn't help. You have to remove power for about a second. Then it works until next time. I suspect the problem to be a failing power supply.

I do have an older unit (one of the first 2020), which works (after I replaced the supercapacitor) but is not really useful since the cable went to digital only and that old unit won't control a cable box.
power cycled at the surge protector. No Bueno. Still:
No video signal detected
.Confirm that you subscribe to this channel
-looking at Channel 2...but it's the same for all
.Verify that all of your A/V components are turned on
-they are
.Verify that the cable box/satellite receiver is connected properly and configured in Setup
-STB is still connected and split from box to TV and then to RTV like it was before I went on vacation

At first, there was no signal coming from the RTV. Power cycled at power button...didn't do anything. Leaning on PWR button got the blue light to pulse, but that's all. Removed and replugged AC cord, and then I got a signal....but, as mentioned..still 'no video signal detected'.

CAN still playback pre-recorded (pre- before the foul up) shows, so it doesn't appear to be an video out issue or Encoder/Decoder from my perspective...

I'm still pretty jammed up here... It keeps telling me it's going to record a show, but it doesn't detect any signal and craps out with 1s recordings.

HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-27-2020, 11:01 AM

You say the cable box output is split between Replay and TV, Do you get a picture directly from the cable box (without using the Replay)? "Confirm that you subscribe to this channel" sounds like a cable box (not Replay) message. Do you have any other cable boxes and do they work? Cable internet/phone? Any other video sources (like a DVD player)? You could try connecting that output to the Replay input.

Quote:
power cycled at the surge protector. No Bueno. Still:
No video signal detected
.Confirm that you subscribe to this channel
-looking at Channel 2...but it's the same for all
.Verify that all of your A/V components are turned on
-they are
.Verify that the cable box/satellite receiver is connected properly and configured in Setup
-STB is still connected and split from box to TV and then to RTV like it was before I went on vacation

At first, there was no signal coming from the RTV. Power cycled at power button...didn't do anything. Leaning on PWR button got the blue light to pulse, but that's all. Removed and replugged AC cord, and then I got a signal....but, as mentioned..still 'no video signal detected'.

CAN still playback pre-recorded (pre- before the foul up) shows, so it doesn't appear to be an video out issue or Encoder/Decoder from my perspective...

I'm still pretty jammed up here... It keeps telling me it's going to record a show, but it doesn't detect any signal and craps out with 1s recordings.

HELP
post #5 of 12 Old 01-27-2020, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd View Post
You say the cable box output is split between Replay and TV, Do you get a picture directly from the cable box (without using the Replay)? "Confirm that you subscribe to this channel" sounds like a cable box (not Replay) message. Do you have any other cable boxes and do they work? Cable internet/phone? Any other video sources (like a DVD player)? You could try connecting that output to the Replay input.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I can watch everything directly from the cable box through my TV. No issues, but when I switch to the Replay, it cannot 'tune' to any of the channels: "no video signal detected". It changes channels; the Channel Guide shows descriptions, but no video is received.... only through the Replay Effectively making it useless as a PVR...

Any idea what would suddenly cause the video receive function to go south?
post #6 of 12 Old 01-28-2020, 12:13 PM

So the cable box itself is working OK. Could there be a problem with the connection to the Replay? Also, this problem may occur if the Replay thinks it's not "activated". This problem shouldn't be possible when you're using Laho, but you could check anyway.
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I can watch everything directly from the cable box through my TV. No issues, but when I switch to the Replay, it cannot 'tune' to any of the channels: "no video signal detected". It changes channels; the Channel Guide shows descriptions, but no video is received.... only through the Replay Effectively making it useless as a PVR...

Any idea what would suddenly cause the video receive function to go south?
post #7 of 12 Old 01-28-2020, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had a Replay unit where the tuner (F-cable/coax) input failed, so the only way to get it to be able to record something is through the video component cables. (And I'm trying to remember if also I've had units where the video component inputs failed, too.)

Anyway, assuming you have a coax cable as input, you could try one of the other inputs to see if it will record properly.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-29-2020, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If you are using the tuner (f-cable/coax) input, then it is possible to be the power supply as it supplies 34volts for the tuner. IIRC one person sent a power supply to me for repair and had this problem. After I repaired it he said it worked.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-01-2020, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebar View Post
If you are using the tuner (f-cable/coax) input, then it is possible to be the power supply as it supplies 34volts for the tuner. IIRC one person sent a power supply to me for repair and had this problem. After I repaired it he said it worked.
I got tired of not being able to record anything from the TV, so I replaced this 'bad' unit with another I had lying around.. I tend to collect HW it seems...

When I put the replacement into place and tuned to a channel (everything connected is exactly the same between old/new boxes), I saw the 'no video signal detected' notice
at first
then it resolved and showed the actual received video signal.

I honestly hadn't been paying that much attention before, but having to use a cable company-provided cable box includes now a bit of a delay (before the 'upgrade' to digital and using Replay's own tuner, I don't recall this slight lag) when changing channels, and at first, the Replay doesn't see a signal, but then it will sync up and show the data. Apparently the box that suddenly went south has lost that last step ability to resolve the signal being received.

If I see the signal change when I change channels, but the Replay simply can't seem to sync with the incoming signal and display it, is that a Power Supply thing? Everything else works.

As I mentioned, I have something of a 'pile' (I'd say 'bone pile', but as this mound has been growing since PHVS2000's (about 19 years), I cannot say that the units are all 'bad')...some have just suffered different issues over the years...I think the first was a 'stuttering to death' issue where the box just lost all video synchronization and would stutter rather than resolve a signal...I've had blue screen of death, stuck at 'please wait', etc...and when I wasn't able to resolve the problems, it was cheaper and faster to just get a replacement box...so, now I think there's probably at least 5 (maybe 10?) Replay's in the pile... I failed to add notes to each body as it was added to the pile, so I cannot say exactly what each unit's problem may or may not have been I never expected to have such a mound.....

Anyway, maybe I can Frankenstein a repair? Anybody have specific instructions to suggest for me to attempt to resolve this box's problem with 'no video signal detected' by doing tech swap and pop of parts from other units? Are we talking about PCBA soldering, or just disconnect/reconnect parts? I can solder, but not having a good thermal controlled system (just household tools), I worry about nuking boards/chips....

At one point, I had 4 Replays all working at once...over failure compounding time, it's down now to two. One had this 'no video signal detected' issue when I got back from vacation...it's been pulled and replaced by another unit that is (for now) working....my other, sadly, also had a problem I found...why they wait until I'm on vacation, when all I ask of them is to keep recording things while I'm away..you know...their JOB....I'll never know... This second box seems to have gone south (stopped recording) about a week ago When I turned on that TV to check, the Replay was pulsing on the 'Please Wait' screen Note: there were no power outages or anything like that while I was away (or other things in my house would have been whining).
Leaned on PWR button. No bueno
Power Cycled. Same
So, having learned over the years, I pulled power and all inputs (Coax, RCA connections)...I left the outputs alone since that's not usually the issue... Left it in that state for a little over an hour. Plugged back coax and signal inputs (RCA cables) and then powered it back on...magic. It's now working again...

As for the launch point of this post, well, one more on the 'mound', and if anyone out there with more savvy for the guts of these beasties can suggest what I might do to repair this 'no video signal detected' apparent video signal sync problem, please let me know.

Thanks for assist
post #10 of 12 Old 02-01-2020, 08:09 PM

This is what I would suggest. The unit with the "Please wait" screen is probably the hard drive. I would take the power supply from it and swap it for the one with no video and see if it then works.
How to:
1. Unplug the line cord from the outlet!!!! (Probably didn't need to tell you but some need to be reminded)

2. Remove 5 (?) black screws on the back and 2 or 3 of each side. Lift cover from the rear and slide rearward.
3. Remove 4 screw holding the power supply down, then disconnect the 3 pin power, 4 pin to the hard drive and multi-pin to the logic board.

4. Inspect the multi-pin cable connectors for any discoloration indicating the pins got hot. If so, that is an problem.
5. Inspect the power supply each capacitor for any bulging on the top of them, if so, that is a problem.
6. Assemble in the reverse order.

Note: Just because none of the capacitors are bulged, does not mean they are good. The RTV power supplies used good caps however all electrolytic caps have a lifetime. At about 10 years some will start to fail. The CM7000 used poor quality caps and they will fail after 3 to 4 years. I do provide repair service for both.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-14-2020, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Wow! Activity!

And I just came here to post that my ReplayTVs are showing me the love on this 14th of February....

Now back to the issue at hand...

Before I even guess, can you explain how your ReplayTV is connected to your cable system?

1. Direct Cable Connection?
2. Output from the Cable Box?

If #2 , then how?
a. RF Cable (coax) from the cable box to the Antenna input?
b. S-Video and 2-channel Stereo? (S-Vid plus red and white RCA)
c. Composite Video (yellow, white, and red RCA)

And how does the ReplayTV control the cable box? (Is the IR Blaster cable working?)

Last edited by dstoffa; 02-14-2020 at 06:18 PM.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-15-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
Wow! Activity!
And I just came here to post that my ReplayTVs are showing me the love on this 14th of February....

Thanks for reminding me. I showed the love to my wife. How thoughtful of the software engineers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page