4xxx AutoSkip player for Windows now available - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-18-2003, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
ksb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
rtvPlayer for Windows is not available. There are a few problems with my new AutoSkip code and playback sometimes loops at the content/commercial crossover. I'll fix it and rerelease it as soon as possible.

rtvPlayer emulates the ReplayTV playback experience with:
* Instant Replay and Quick Skip buttons (with adjustable times)
* AutoSkip/Commercial Advance (with Show|Nav/chapter jumping)

Version 0.6 adds three new features while fixing none of the bugs. (I figure that honesty is the best policy.)
1. Overscan elimination (now the tops of your videos won't "dance")
2. Aspect Ratio control (now "widescreen" shows don't waste space with large black bars)
3. Commercial indicators (showing where in a show commericals are)

What's different?
1. The Windows Media Player controls are now hidden. (This was done to greatly simplify the overscan/aspect logic.)
2. I've added a Play/Pause button to replace the one taken away with the WMP controls.
3. I've added REW and FF buttons, but disabled them. It looks like WMP and the Replay MPEGs don't like rewind or fast forward. If I can't make it work, I'll remove the buttons again.
4. I've added a position tracker to replace the one in WMP; mine isn't as good as theirs yet, but I'm working on it.

Requirements:
0. MPG and NDX files from a ReplayTV 40xx or 45xx.
1. Windows 2000 or XP (I think)
2. Windows Media Player 7.1 or higher (only tested with 9)
3. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

Officially, it is a beta application because it is so new and is not feature complete. (When it's complete, I'll release the source so that enterprising folks who are interested can convert it to Java or something else.)

The executable for rtvPlayer is attached. I look forward to your comments.

--Ken

P.S. A convenient way to use it is to associate it with NDX files. Then double-clicking the MPG plays the video in the normal way while double-clicking the NDX file plays it with AutoSkip.

P.P.S. Double-click the title bar to enlarge the video as much as possible. (Double clicking the playing video in the rtvPlayer window will expand the video, but overscan elimination and aspect ratio control will be disabled. Press ESC to get out of full-screen mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-18-2003, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Wow. Pls don't torture us 5xxx owners. I'd like to use this program.

icecow
post #3 of 16 Old 10-18-2003, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
ksb

If someone can provide some documentation on the format of the EVT files used by the 5xxx series, I'll add the code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-18-2003, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
check out this link:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...55#post2810755

RTVtools includes ENVDUMP. It interprets .evt files on 5xxxS. The source code is included and freely distributed.

Lee might be able to arrainge more information.

cow
post #5 of 16 Old 10-18-2003, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ken, it sounds great! Thanks for the effort and contribution.

Question... Does your rtvplayer support streaming video? Or do you have any plans to support streaming?

Thanks again....
post #6 of 16 Old 10-18-2003, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds very cool!

Quote:
Bugs: The Instant Replay and Quick Skip don't avoid commercial breaks like they do on a real RTV. That is, if you're 10 seconds before a commercial break and click the QS button, instead of jumping to 20 seconds after the commercial break, you'll jump to 20 seconds into the break. This will be fixed (possibly over the weekend, but I'm not promising.)

Missing features: I'm int he process of changing how the code processes the NDX files so that the above bug is fixed and a newer more aggressive CA can be implemented. This new mode will try to cut out the commercial breaks a bit more so that we don't even have to watch the first and last seconds or two.
Hmmm . . . I always considered this a bug in the Replay. The function as it sounds like it currently exists will work better if CA mis-fires. I always found it annoying that if CA skipped too much and I hit IR, it would return to where it started skipping, instead of just backing up.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-18-2003, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by acourvil
Hmmm . . . I always considered this a bug in the Replay. The function as it sounds like it currently exists will work better if CA mis-fires. I always found it annoying that if CA skipped too much and I hit IR, it would return to where it started skipping, instead of just backing up.
I agree. I hate the CA behavior on the ReplayTV when you jump into/out of a commercial.

When the CA overshoots the re-start of the show, it would be real nice just to be able to IR back until the show re-start is found. With the way the current ReplayTV code is written, using IR shoots you all the way back to BEFORE the commercial starts -- very annoying. In other words, what acourvil said:)

John
post #8 of 16 Old 10-18-2003, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
ksb

OK, I'll leave the current Instant Replay and Quick Skip functionality alone.

The Previous Chapter button (called "Show|Nav" in the 5.1 software) give you the easy ability to jump back to the beginning of a content block. (Note the Prev Chapter goes to the beginning of the current chapter unless you press it during the first two seconds of a chapter; in that case it goes to the beginning of the previous chapter.)

The current behavior of the AutoSkip code prevents you from using the Prev Chapter button to easily go to the beginning of a commercial block (because the AutoSkip senses that and jumps forward to the content block). I'm going to fix that so that pressing Prev Chapter temporarily disabled AutoSkip for a few seconds.

One more (unrelated) note: there's very little error checking in the code now. (I don't write my best code ay 38,000 feet.) If you have problems, try to let me know what you were doing before rtvPlayer died and any messages you got upon its death.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-19-2003, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is cool. Anybody know if I can cancel my 4K for 5K trade-in initiated a couple days ago?
post #10 of 16 Old 10-19-2003, 12:06 PM

Great job but I have a problem starting RtvPlayer. Attached is a snapshot jpeg file of the error, I'm running XP, a similar error was also produced on WIN98.
I d/l NET framework 1.1 and Media Player 9, Is anything else?
LL
post #11 of 16 Old 10-19-2003, 12:34 PM

ksb,

I get the same error as Meteor.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-19-2003, 01:36 PM

me three :)
post #13 of 16 Old 10-19-2003, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
ksb

I'm not sure why you're getting that error. Can you confirm that the .NET framework is installed (rather than just downloaded) and that you've rebooted since installing it?

I just posted 0.6 with new features, but I didn't address any bugs. I'll try to put an 0.61 together with additional error trapping and reporting. Once the work week starts, I'll be doing less on this until Friday.

OOPS! I accidentally unloaded the debug build of 0.6 and one person downloaded it. Whoever you are, it's fixed now.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-19-2003, 04:24 PM

ksb,

No go with the latest version.

As far as "Can you confirm that the .NET framework is installed", I installed it from Windows Update, rebooted and then checked in the "add or remove" Control Panel application and it is available as an item that can be removed.

Is there anything else I should check?
post #15 of 16 Old 10-19-2003, 04:56 PM

Same here AFAIK .NET framework is installed in my PC.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-19-2003, 05:21 PM

ksb:

I have the same error and I definitely have all of the required components installed and functional on my machine.

Regards,

Wayne

Go Ahead.....
Take a look at MY POOP

MY POOP don't stank!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page