Lost - Season Finale (spoilers) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 55 Old 05-24-2006, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 37
All in all, I thought it was a pretty good end to the season. I was beginning to lose faith in the show, but this episode definitely made me want to see more. Of course, it only left more questions, but at least we found out that the computer was for real and that there truly were some seriously catastrophic things that would happen if you didn't enter the code. I don't really get the whole failsafe key thing, but nothing really makes much sense anyway on the show. For example, why did "The Others" go to all that trouble to build a whole elaborate fake village with a fake hatch? And why was there a random pile of tubes lying in the middle of a field. I guess we'll find out more next season. I liked how it turned out that Henry Gale was their leader. And what an a**hole Michael turned out to be!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 05-24-2006, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the pile of tubes.....in the Pearl hatch, the orientation video instructed the viewers to log everything going on in the swan hatch in notebooks. once one was filled up, place it in the canister and send it up the tube......seeing that the tube pretty much leads to nowhere, the whole deal about logging things was pretty much a lie. what i wanna know is why hadn't the "others" found that pile and done something with them?...unless they already know about it and it's useless to them.

i agree about michael.

the last scene.............FOUND WHAT?!?!!! :)

in general, i am much happier with this season finale than season one's.
post #3 of 55 Old 05-24-2006, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The strange thing is you can chuck this entire season, save a couple of scenes and the final two episodes. The last two more than made up for an otherwise mediocre season.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 05-24-2006, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
the last scene.............FOUND WHAT?!?!!!
Desmond and whatever he's got.

Bob
post #5 of 55 Old 05-24-2006, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you've got enough money....

Bob
post #6 of 55 Old 05-25-2006, 01:34 AM
Advanced Member

And what about the four-toed statue? The show's producers said that there weren't going to be any aliens. Maybe the rest of the statue didn't fall down. Perhaps it was never completed. Perhaps the island's ruler forced all of his subjects to build a great statue of him. After toiling away for a year just to build that one giant stone leg, the ruler finally noticed that they had messed up the foot, and had them all executed. That would explain why there aren't any natives anymore.
post #7 of 55 Old 05-25-2006, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadet
And what about the four-toed statue? The show's producers said that there weren't going to be any aliens. Maybe the rest of the statue didn't fall down. Perhaps it was never completed. Perhaps the island's ruler forced all of his subjects to build a great statue of him. After toiling away for a year just to build that one giant stone leg, the ruler finally noticed that they had messed up the foot, and had them all executed. That would explain why there aren't any natives anymore.
Come on, that statue is what's left of the Colossus.
post #8 of 55 Old 05-25-2006, 07:09 AM

I have some questions about the list of four that michael was supposed to bring back: jack, kate, sawyer, and hurley. When jack, john and sawyer went looking for michael and met the others and got their guns taken away, the others had also captured kate. So the others had control of 3 of the 4 they wanted. But they let them go. Ok, they didn't have hurley. But when they finally got all 4 of them they let hurley go for no apparent reason. What was the point of asking for hurley? And if they only wanted jack, sawyer, and kate, why didn't they just keep them when they had them before?

I did like the explanation of what brought the plane down and how they figured that out.

Since we really don't know what happened when desmond used the fail safe key, any speculation as to whether eko, john, and desmond survived? And with the keyhole cover being ripped off magnetically, why didn't the key go flying as well?
post #9 of 55 Old 05-25-2006, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karog
And with the keyhole cover being ripped off magnetically, why didn't the key go flying as well?
Simple. It was made of brass.
post #10 of 55 Old 05-25-2006, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa
Come on, that statue is what's left of the Colossus.
Nobody knows what the Colossus looked like, but it was a statue of Helios, and would have had five toes per foot. Further, what was left of it after it fell was broken up and sold for scrap.
post #11 of 55 Old 05-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Were Michelle Rodriguez' and Cynthia Watros' characters killed off because they got drunk and arrested, or did they get drunk because their characters had been killed off?
post #12 of 55 Old 05-25-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadet
Nobody knows what the Colossus looked like, but it was a statue of Helios, and would have had five toes per foot. Further, what was left of it after it fell was broken up and sold for scrap.
Of course we know what it looks like. Have you ever played "Civilization?"
post #13 of 55 Old 05-25-2006, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

As for the computer, you wouldn't need a human to enter the same code every 108 minutes or whatever (duh). And why would you even need a computer? A timer would be much more reliable.
post #14 of 55 Old 05-25-2006, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why ask for Hurley? The whole time he was the one of the four that never made sense. Until last night. They needed an errand boy to take a message back.

Quote:
Were Michelle Rodriguez' and Cynthia Watros' characters killed off because they got drunk and arrested, or did they get drunk because their characters had been killed off?
According to an article I read when Rodriguez' signed on she asked to only be on for a single season. That is what led to the killing off. I guess Libby was the necessary collateral damage.

The producers wigged when the DUI's hit because they figured everyone would assume they were fired as a result of the DUI's.

Bob
post #15 of 55 Old 05-26-2006, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess everybody forgot about Sayid. What was he doing while all the activity at the boat dock was going on?

Sarcasm is a precious resource that too often goes wasted.
post #16 of 55 Old 05-26-2006, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecks
I guess everybody forgot about Sayid. What was he doing while all the activity at the boat dock was going on?
He lit the black smoke fire, and was waiting for Jack at the company to arrive.
Don't you remember Jack yelling at Michael, "Why aren't we going towards the beach!"

The party of 5 (Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sawyer, and Michael) ,pun intended, were at a different beach than Sayid.
post #17 of 55 Old 05-26-2006, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Saw actor who plays Michael on Conan. He said when they shot the boat scene they had footage of him driving away that had him a long ways away from the island. Then when he saw the show air he couldn't believe where they cut it off at.

Bob
post #18 of 55 Old 05-26-2006, 09:29 AM

When was the scene with the giant foot? I'm guessing it was immediately after a commercial break which my replay mis-took as part of a commercial. Otherwise, I'm thinking that I missed out an entire part of the show by pressing commercial skip.

Also, I've been hearing about clues placed within the commercials. Don't tell me I have to start watching commercials now.
post #19 of 55 Old 05-26-2006, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes there are "easter eggs" in commercials but I don't think anything you need to enjoy the show.

My commercial skip jumped over close to 15 mins of the show. I shut it off and used Show-NAV to get past commercials.

Bob
post #20 of 55 Old 05-26-2006, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Uh Bob, I think that CA is capped at something like 4-5 minutes. So if you think 15 minutes were skipped there was something else at work, in fact, Show/Nav is perfectly capable of skipping most of the show at times.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #21 of 55 Old 05-26-2006, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majik
the last scene.............FOUND WHAT?!?!!! :)
Well the screen said electromagnetic event detected or something, so my theory is that Penny Widmore knows something about what is going on. I think that her father actually sent desmond to the island (perhaps libby worked for him in order to get him the boat??). Penny knows what happened, but doesn't know where the island is located. She knew about the electromagnetic experiements so she had some guys looking for EM events to locate the island.

At least that is my theory.
post #22 of 55 Old 05-26-2006, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideBas
Uh Bob, I think that CA is capped at something like 4-5 minutes. So if you think 15 minutes were skipped there was something else at work, in fact, Show/Nav is perfectly capable of skipping most of the show at times.
Nope. CA's not capped at 4-5 minutes. I've seen it jump as much as 15-20 minutes (usually right at the start of a show it triggers).

Using Show/Nav forces me to use the HUD to see how much time has passed. If it feels too long I jog back. And it's accurate enough that it saves 30-sec skipping all over.

Bob
post #23 of 55 Old 05-26-2006, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh, and to clarify. I meant CA's mistakes totalled up to about 15 minutes of the show being chopped off. Not a single 15 minute block. Sorry for that.

I think it was because of some of the longer dark scenes (there were one or two) coming right out of commercial.

That and we had bad weather so the stupid "run for your lives" weather warning was jumping on the screen.

Bob
post #24 of 55 Old 05-26-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyber
Well the screen said electromagnetic event detected or something, so my theory is that Penny Widmore knows something about what is going on. I think that her father actually sent desmond to the island (perhaps libby worked for him in order to get him the boat??). Penny knows what happened, but doesn't know where the island is located. She knew about the electromagnetic experiements so she had some guys looking for EM events to locate the island.

Wait, did I miss something? What did Libby have to do with Desmond getting the boat? Libby and Elizabeth (the boat owner's widow) weren't the same person, were they?
post #25 of 55 Old 05-26-2006, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Yes. She gave the boat to Desmond, for some unknown reason. She said that he would want this guy that she just met to have it. Go figure.
post #26 of 55 Old 05-26-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose
Of course, it only left more questions, but at least we found out that the computer was for real and that there truly were some seriously catastrophic things that would happen if you didn't enter the code.
I don't agree. They were told they had to push the button to "Save the world." Yet they didn't push the button, Desmond turned the key, and the hatch exploded (or so they have led us to believe). But the world survived. The world was not contingent on pressing the button.
post #27 of 55 Old 05-26-2006, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren Dahl
I don't agree. They were told they had to push the button to "Save the world." Yet they didn't push the button, Desmond turned the key, and the hatch exploded (or so they have led us to believe). But the world survived. The world was not contingent on pressing the button.
The failsafe mechanism activated by Desmond turning the key is what "saved the world" supposedly.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #28 of 55 Old 05-26-2006, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyber

This is the best theory I have heard... sounds pretty good to me. It seems like Libby was involved with several things (remember she was at the loonie bin with Hurley as well). It's weird that she is now killed off so I guess questions involving her will have to be answered 2nd hand.

TiVo 6 tuner Roamio Pro, Elite & Premiere + MoCA networking.
kmttg - Tivo To Go and Advanced Remote Control

post #29 of 55 Old 05-27-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
He lit the black smoke fire, and was waiting for Jack at the company to arrive.
Don't you remember Jack yelling at Michael, "Why aren't we going towards the beach!"

The party of 5 (Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sawyer, and Michael) ,pun intended, were at a different beach than Sayid.
That is the conclusion that the show's producers want the audience to assume.

Actually Sayid could have been anywhere when Michael was leaving in the boat. The four who were taken hostage had been darted with a tranquilizer and could have been out for hours. Probably enough time for Sayid to start wondering where they were and go looking for them.

Sarcasm is a precious resource that too often goes wasted.
post #30 of 55 Old 05-27-2006, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecks
That is the conclusion that the show's producers want the audience to assume.

Actually Sayid could have been anywhere when Michael was leaving in the boat. The four who were taken hostage had been darted with a tranquilizer and could have been out for hours. Probably enough time for Sayid to start wondering where they were and go looking for them.
Pretty sure when the EM pulse goes off you get a shot of Sayid back on the boat with Kim and his wife. Though I could be wrong I'd have to take another look.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page