AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/27-replaytv-showstopper-pvrs/)
-   -   bad tuner in pv-ss2710? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/27-replaytv-showstopper-pvrs/682097-bad-tuner-pv-ss2710.html)

ahcloned 05-27-2006 09:22 PM

Hi guys, I hope you can help. I have one of the pv-ss2710 showstopper televisions. It appears to have a flakey tuner. It will randomly lose signal and go to the blue screen that reports a lost signal.

I tried reloading the software with a fresh image and no luck. It works fine with composite inputs so it seems that it's the tuner.

I went looking at panasonic and found that they have all the parts for the tv available on their website.

part number description price
ENG36706GR NR UHF/VHF TUNER ASSY 41.60

If you now where to find it cheaper, please speak-up. :)

So am I right is it the tuner and is it worth replacing? Or should I be looking at something else? Also I am not an expert at soldering, how bad is it to change a tuner.

I'm techie enough to take it apart and work on it but don't want to waste my time if it's something else.

thanks,
ahcloned

icecow 05-28-2006 09:54 PM

Same problem here. Combo tuner flakey as you described. Been that way for a long time, somehow seemed unnewsworthy. I made a coax cable with an extra long stinger (center copper wire)..didn't work.

woah is me. would love to hear a solution.

rm -rf *.* 05-28-2006 10:18 PM

I've never seen the inside of an ss2710, so I have no idea how the tuner is mounted, but generally speaking, if you are going to de-solder and replace the tuner, you're in for a lot of work. Tuners have around 10 connections (I don't remember the # exactly) to the PCB. Cut the old tuner away from the board, then just desolder the bits of wire that were left attached. Soldering the new tuner in is going to be a PITA unless you clear the "holes" in the PCB - if you don't, it'll never mount level and you'll never get the thing attached correctly. Use a grounded soldering iron and remember two things:1) circuit components hate heat and 2) everything you're working with is a circuit component.

--
You have just destroyed one model XQJ-37 nuclear powered pansexual
roto-plooker....and you're gonna have to pay for it.

Jon_c 06-13-2006 12:58 PM

The tuner in my 5504 just crapped out on me as well. I am hoping it's just a dust build up or something, so I'm going to clean up the insides. Here's hoping...

By the way, that's my first post in 1.5 years of lurking! :p

rm -rf *.* 06-14-2006 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_c
The tuner in my 5504 just crapped out on me as well. I am hoping it's just a dust build up or something, so I'm going to clean up the insides. Here's hoping...

By the way, that's my first post in 1.5 years of lurking! :p
Try a Crunchy Doodle instead:

Fix for an apparently dead 5XXX tuner