3 RTVs, 2 can't connect - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-12-2006, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 3 RTVs connected through a switch. Call them A, B, C. Both A and B can play shows from C. C can play shows from A and B. But A and B can't play shows from each other. Both A and B do update the list of recorded shows from each other with no problem. But when you select a show to play, it comes up with a message that the other RTV can be found.

All are configured manually with IP addresses. Switch is connected to router leading to DSL internet connection. All can connect to internet and update show listings with no problem.

From PC on the network, all can be pinged with no problem.

Seems almost as if either A or B is caching an incorrect ARP entry for the other. But, if so, why would they still be able to update the list of recorded shows on the other one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-12-2006, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My initial guess is your running into the old DHCP bug. Even though you've configured the Replays for static IP address, the Replays are still grabbing IPs off your DHCP server. The best method to assign the IP address to the Replays is by configuring your router to assign a specific IP by MAC address. That is, if your router supports that sort of thing. The other option is to completely disable your DHCP server and manually assign IP addresses for all your devices.

I could be completely wrong though, if you don't run DHCP at all, just ignore this entire post :D

PostCount++;
--------------------------------------------------------------
ReplayTV 5080 - 00004-54831-79633
post #3 of 10 Old 06-13-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

I'm running DHCP from a Win2000 server. I had it set with reservations based on MAC address to give the RTVs the same IP address every time. Doesn't seem to make a difference. I've tried setting the RTVs with static IPs and excludng those from the scope that the DHCP server hands out. I've disabled DHCP and put statics on the RTVs. Nothing seems to work.

And the thing that doesn't make sense is that C can communicate with no problems to both A and B and A and B can both communicate with C. That points me to either A or B somehow caching incorrect address for the other. Of course, it still wouldn't explain why they are both able to update the list of recorded shows from the other one with no problem.

Is there a way to manually clear the ARP cache on the RTVs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-13-2006, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
power off all 3 RTVs and your switch should do the trick
post #5 of 10 Old 06-13-2006, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
that is, kill power to all components... pull from the wall...
post #6 of 10 Old 06-13-2006, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thinking outside the box, do all three have unique Replay names?

And listen to Ace, I think he's on the right track. Disable DHCP at the server. And you don't need to assign IP addresses to the units, they will help themselves to available addresses automatically. Clear all static addresses, disable the DHCP and reboot all units. Give it a few minutes and see what happens.

||||||||||||||| Soylent Green is.......PEOPLE! Or is it a Status Bar? Ah, it's a dessert topping!
post #7 of 10 Old 06-13-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Try replacing the cable between a-switch or b-switch.

Long time ago I was debugging some connectivity issues and came upon the scenario in which my bedroom unit could access the internet, could access the guides of main RTV and DVArchive, but could not stream.

I replaced a self made cable with factory made variety and it all started working.

I realize A & B can stream from C. Is there any unique piece of cable/HW in the path from A-B??
post #8 of 10 Old 06-13-2006, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Powering all 3 off and disconnecting from AC power was one of the first things I did.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-13-2006, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack
Try replacing the cable between a-switch or b-switch.

Long time ago I was debugging some connectivity issues and came upon the scenario in which my bedroom unit could access the internet, could access the guides of main RTV and DVArchive, but could not stream.

I replaced a self made cable with factory made variety and it all started working.

I realize A & B can stream from C. Is there any unique piece of cable/HW in the path from A-B??

I'll try replacing cables. Nothing different between C's connection and the ones from A and B. All connect to ethernet jack in the room they're in. From jack is an ethernet cable that runs through crawl space back to central closet with a cisco cat 3500 switch. The cat 3500 is configured as a completely flat switch, it's doing nothing but sending packets through.

DSL modem connects to the Cat 3500. So traffic from RTVs go to the cat3500 and then to the DSL to get to internet. But all communication between RTVs is from RTV to Cat3500 to other RTV. Nothing different between them.

But what you said about cable issues sounds reasonable except that they both can talk to C. But swapping cables is easy enough to test so I'll try that next.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

I would try changing the IP addresses of A and B. Have you tried downloading from them all with DV archive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page